Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

One day I will reskin Antiquity to be about a zombie apocalypse. On another day, I will also reskin Antiquity to be about the Jurassic Park cinematic universe. On a third day, I will also reskin R&B to be about zombie donks and honks.

Point is, the game world is seriously missing out on logistics-focused zombie games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terebikun
May 27, 2016
My current dumb project (that I'm nearly finished with) is replacing all the infantry flag models in Forbidden Stars with their equivalent unit models from Epic 40k, painted and everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill la Chill posted:

One day I will reskin Antiquity to be about a zombie apocalypse. On another day, I will also reskin Antiquity to be about the Jurassic Park cinematic universe. On a third day, I will also reskin R&B to be about zombie donks and honks.

not until you do the Starcraft Food Chain Magnate edition

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

terebikun posted:

My current dumb project (that I'm nearly finished with) is replacing all the infantry flag models in Forbidden Stars with their equivalent unit models from Epic 40k, painted and everything.

I want that game but don't want to pay $OOP for it. I am waiting for FFG to reprint that game with a different license.
Forbidden Star Wars? Keyforge? Terrinoth?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lord Of Texas posted:

Jackbox is exactly as good/funny as the group you play it with. Much better than CAH. If the group you play it with isn't creative/quick-witted, or their humor doesn't match up with yours, you probably won't enjoy it.

Jackbox also has a number of games that are reasonably engaging that don't rely on wittiness from the players. Trivia Murder Party, Fibbage, Guesspionage, and Bomb Corp are all pretty fun even without hilarious friends.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

canyoneer posted:

I want that game but don't want to pay $OOP for it. I am waiting for FFG to reprint that game with a different license.

You can pretty frequently find sealed copies going for $50-70 on bgg in geek list auctions. $100 tops, which I think was the msrp

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

canyoneer posted:

I got some bad news if you think FFG is still making board games.

But they would have probably used the twilight imperium verse.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bottom Liner posted:

Are we gonna maynard some workers to our expansion?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Gimme an hour and I'll write indictments of the top 100 on BGG and we can really get this ball rolling.

It's been an hour and I'm still waiting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

It's been an hour and I'm still waiting.

I want a Michael Scott style "Boom, roasted!" burn on every game in the top 100

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Got to play some Chex on TTS tonight on TTS. Not a bad implementation. Pro-tip: clone the calculators and use those for the stock price. One train line almost reached chicago but goose made the right move and steered it clear.

Bottom Liner posted:

You misheard. It was Idolmaster Cinderella Girls: Starlight Stage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Got to play some Chex on TTS tonight on TTS. Not a bad implementation. Pro-tip: clone the calculators and use those for the stock price. One train line almost reached chicago but goose made the right move and steered it clear.

I had a great time! 2nd time playing, the first time was 11 years ago, so basically first time.

Pro tip: if everyone's trying to get you to bid on stuff, instead make them buy their own companies, diluting their shares, spending money, and then start everything for minimum bids and don't bid and then you win!

Uh yeah anyway, I'm glad I got to play. Hansa Teutonica and Chicago Express certainly are games more up my alley now than a decade ago, to be sure.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Also the robber doesn't show up until after Candamir, which is Catan's prologue, therefore the robber is from Candamir and not indigenous. Help I've fallen into a hole of 'catan lore'.

You're assuming that the different settlers during Candamir sought out meaningful interactions with the indigenous population, thus requiring inclusion in the game, and not an abstraction away.

After all, the "robber" in Catan is not forced away by the police, or by towns becoming cities (increasing the resources a population centre would have to defend itself against a few rouge elements), but by calling in the army. In fact, building up a large standing army to deal with this threat is rewarded; it's something the settlers require as a function of their society, not a one off bonus like year of plenty.

It's really not hard to find examples of colonisers moving into a land, initially ignoring the indigenous population until they are capable of fighting and displacing them of their lands, sold to the public as retaliation for alleged criminal offences, despite how hugely disproportionate the response is.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I got some bad news if you think FFG is still making board games.

But they would have probably used the twilight imperium verse.

I think it would have worked well as an Android universe hacking game

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Mojo Jojo posted:

I think it would have worked well as an Android universe hacking game

Go on...

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Thanks! I'll see if I can convince some friends to try them out sometime.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Reynold posted:

It's a co-op survival horror game where you try to accomplish objectives of varying difficulty based on the scenario you select to play. It is very fiddly around the edges. For example, one bad draw can take a player from a safe situation to being killed instantly, like if you don't have enough zombies to place because you've already got too many on the map, then instead all zombies get an extra turn, you roll dice while zombie attacks are guaranteed hits, etc. I only have the original and it's just not a well made game.

There's tons of expansions and new editions, including a second edition of the original. There is a classic, fantasy, and sci-fi version as well. I gather as the game has progressed, many issues have been addressed that made the original less fun, but I have no experience with those. I really wanted to like "blowing zombies away, The Game," but it falls short imo.

It's also something people get oddly invested in and you see dudes with gigantic zombicide collections. Not sure if this is addiction to minis, KS fomo or what but there are a couple of people I know with hilariously large amounts of shelf space dedicated to just this game and it is vaguely fascinating. The game itself seems to be one of those things that people outside the hobby maybe get a taste of first and then kind of evolve in taste from there. I played it years ago and had fun but could see it had tons of issues one of which being the time to set up and play versus time spent having fun ratio.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zombicide would be much more palatable to me if it were less random and melee combat wasn't so hilariously lethal (to you).

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Let's talk about Junk Art.

Junk Art is a dexterity stacking game where the rules for stacking are dictated by city cards. Here is a list of all of the city cards.

Junk Art is a cool game, except for the scoring. Some cities have tiered scoring(Monaco), some cities have survivor scoring (Pisa). What I often see is that 1ish round of a tiered scoring city will decide the game when the other two cities are survivor scoring with no way to close the distance. Let's crowd source ways to fix those survivor cities.

Cities that need to be changed:

Amsterdam
Montreal
Paris
Philadelphia
Pisa

Here are my proposals:

Amsterdam - Deal 9 cards to each player instead, award tallest structures 5,3,1 points at end of the 9 cards. Play same way normally.
Montreal - Deal 9 cards to each player instead, award tallest structures 5,3,1 points at end of the 9 cards. Play same way normally.
Paris - Deal 5 cards to each player. Don't refill when you play a card. 5,3,1 points to players with the least fallen pieces.
Philadelphia -
Pisa -

What do you think of the proposed changes/what would you propose?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I agree about the scoring. Great game but the scoring is balls.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shadow225 posted:

Let's talk about Junk Art.

Junk Art is a dexterity stacking game where the rules for stacking are dictated by city cards. Here is a list of all of the city cards.

Junk Art is a cool game, except for the scoring. Some cities have tiered scoring(Monaco), some cities have survivor scoring (Pisa). What I often see is that 1ish round of a tiered scoring city will decide the game when the other two cities are survivor scoring with no way to close the distance. Let's crowd source ways to fix those survivor cities.

Cities that need to be changed:

Amsterdam
Montreal
Paris
Philadelphia
Pisa

Here are my proposals:

Amsterdam - Deal 9 cards to each player instead, award tallest structures 5,3,1 points at end of the 9 cards. Play same way normally.
Montreal - Deal 9 cards to each player instead, award tallest structures 5,3,1 points at end of the 9 cards. Play same way normally.
Paris - Deal 5 cards to each player. Don't refill when you play a card. 5,3,1 points to players with the least fallen pieces.
Philadelphia -
Pisa -

What do you think of the proposed changes/what would you propose?

I like your card changes. The scoring is borderline pointless in that game, up there with scoring in telestrations. Everyone just has fun building (or at least trying to build) their structures. Played it on Friday and had a blast again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We always play first to X number of city wins and ignore the points honestly.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

FulsomFrank posted:

It's also something people get oddly invested in and you see dudes with gigantic zombicide collections. Not sure if this is addiction to minis, KS fomo or what but there are a couple of people I know with hilariously large amounts of shelf space dedicated to just this game and it is vaguely fascinating. The game itself seems to be one of those things that people outside the hobby maybe get a taste of first and then kind of evolve in taste from there. I played it years ago and had fun but could see it had tons of issues one of which being the time to set up and play versus time spent having fun ratio.

There are an absolute TON of expansions for it which are basically guest artists making new characters, and packs of different kinds of zombies. They never made sense to me since:

SettingSun posted:

Zombicide would be much more palatable to me if it were less random and melee combat wasn't so hilariously lethal (to you).

That's the entire problem with the game, really. If you get hit by two zombies, you're dead. You can come back as a "zombievor" after the Toxic City Mall expansion, which basically makes your character stronger and able to take 5 more hits before dying for reals this time, but at the point where people are getting eaten, even by simple bad luck, the game is basically already over. It's not Zombies!, but it's close enough to basically be a high-dollar reproduction with some extra bells and whistles. Again, I really, REALLY wanted to like this game, but they made it pretty difficult to do. I can see people turning a blind eye after some expansions and tweaks to lessen the difficulty, and enjoying it for mindless zombie fun.

I've written a decent amount recently about how the game isn't that good, but I recognize that it might scratch an itch for some players in the right circumstances. If you wanna get together with your bros and chuck dice over a few beers for an evening, you could certainly do worse than Zombicide.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Cross posting from the Dune thread, and this is way too long, but I wrote it all out like a chump so:

So over the Easter bank holiday weekend, me and a few of my friends were going to go on a board gaming holiday. Since we couldn't, I said I'd set up a quiz to do over Skype, but I sorta tricked them.

When they all logged on I explained we'd be playing 'Twilight imperium' and got them to choose their factions. I shared my screen, a twilight imperium image with various factions. I placed icons of them on their chosen factions, but then once they were all placed, changed the image, leaving their icons where they were, but now each sitting atop the banner of a Dune house!! The first round was to go and get their appropriate costume on, with prizes for the best. While they did that, I issued their various faction rules over WhatsApp. Part they would tell everyone as their introduction, but part they would keep a secret.

House Corrino, as emperor of the universe, has final say in all matters! (But if 3 or more people disagreed, it would trigger a coup! ((Which I didn't tell them was a bonus game, of an online version of 'coup' the board game, the winner choosing the outcome)). Also, if they and Harkonnen chums get Atreides to win the quiz, then they would win the real game! Their once per game Karama power allowed them to double the points for a round, and ask me for one answer that round.

The Harkonnen could cheat, but if caught would be sent to the pain amplifier! (They had to put their volume to max and i sent them to a site playing all star and nickleback at the same time not in sync). They had to backstab corrino and beat Atreides without corrino realising. Their once per game special power was traitors, they choose a player and I would tell harkonnen that players answers.

Fremen would win the game within the game if no one else won it. Also, any time anyone did anything musical or rhythmic on camera, that player could call out WORMSIGN! and message that player over WhatsApp a picture of Shai Halud. If the other player expressed concern, Fear, distress or otherwise noted the danger of a worm, they were wise to the ways of the desert and avoided it, otherwise they were eaten (secretly, all this revealed at the end) and couldn't win the game within the game within the game. Since Fremen are numerous, their power of stillsuits had no limit. Challenge anyone to down a glass of water quickest on camera, a Fremen win worth two points.

Ix introduced themselves as being the best as technology, etc, but secretly were the Tleilaxu impersonating Ix. They had to leave their enemy an escape, so had to be USELESS with all technology and were not allowed to pass it off as ironic. They also had to sow confusion, enough confusion resulting in what I loosely called a war of assassins (A game of werewolf / we'reAssassins). If Tlielaxu 'Assassinated' (via coup, werewolf or their karama power) each other player, they won. Their Karama was face dancer, they announced Karama, and then secretly told me their assassin and the victim. The flooding turn I would announce that a duel had been issued, and would be settled with Crysknife blaster shield. (Rock paper scissors, obv). If the assassin won, it was successful. This Karama reset whenever Tlielaxu won a quiz round.

The spacing guild are in charge of all off world transport, so whenever anyone got up to go anywhere off camera the Guild player could tell them to pay, and would win a free point. They could also spend their points to buy 3 clues a time, however I said after buying the second set of clues, they had become spice dependant, and had to be seen eating something all round, and something different each round or lose all points for that round.
Since they profit from the ongoing strife, they would win of the game went on so long that someone had to leave, it got bored.

The Atreides had to work out what everyone else was up to. They were told outright that there was a game within the game (their prescience saw it) and that they were walking into a trap. Their Karama power was to be given clues about all the plots that had gone on in a round, and was reset half way. If they could divulge all the other players plots, they would win.

The Bene Gesserit planned to create the Kwisats Haderach, and so at the start had to pick two bloodlines / houses. If one came first and the other last, they would win. They had the voice, if they told anyone SILENCE! I would mute them and also, their once per game, the trial of the box: a staring competition, with a win for the opponent doubling their points that round, but a loss scoring them zero that round.

There was an Atreides round: I have a tray of dese, but what are dese? (I showed them the covered tray, it was obviously spice)

There was a guild navigator round (geoguessr) and there was (as kind of a clue) a Tlielaxu face dancer round, where they had to go and get puppets of some description, and act out a scene. Anyone who guessed the movie got a point, and they got a point for all correct answers, unless everyone got it right, then they got zero. (So, you had to go obscure, but do it well).

In the end, a few players won but were eaten by worms, and shockingly the Bene Gesserit used their trial of the box in the final round, but threw it, blinking, to give Atreides the win, and with Harkonnen coming last, AS PER THEIR PROPHECY the Kwisats Haderach was birthed! Obviously Atreides coming first in the quiz meant they took stewardship of Arrakis, which is obviously a poisoned chalice: the prize was they have to host the next quiz.

Anyway that's my story

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's some out of the box thinking, and some real gems in there. Sounds like everyone had fun :sun:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Duneposting is the only thing more confusing than trainposting.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

!Klams posted:

Cross posting from the Dune thread, and this is way too long, but I wrote it all out like a chump so:

Great read. If you feel like tripling down on glory, send it to the RPG stories thread!

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I've seen a lot of people talk about the alleged financial troubles of CMON and how they're not backing Ankh because they're worried it won't be fulfilled. I'm wondering how much that will affect the kickstarter.

CMON seems to have an explanation for the original article, but obviously they would never come out and say "Yes, we are having financial troubles". I hope Ankh does come out though, Eric Lang demoed it to me at BGG Con and I am really interested in it.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
The post about junk art made me remember that I wanted to try that for a long time, but reading about scoring issues makes me rethink: what is in the goon hivemind the dexterity game to get if you only want one in your collection?
Or put differently: my gf has said on multiple occasions she doesn't like them, but we haven't played one yet, what would be a dexterity game that can change her mind AND is a fun thing to whip out for small groups (whenever those can happen again)?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Oenis posted:

The post about junk art made me remember that I wanted to try that for a long time, but reading about scoring issues makes me rethink: what is in the goon hivemind the dexterity game to get if you only want one in your collection?
Or put differently: my gf has said on multiple occasions she doesn't like them, but we haven't played one yet, what would be a dexterity game that can change her mind AND is a fun thing to whip out for small groups (whenever those can happen again)?

Catch the Moon.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Menara would be my vote.

It is a coop stacking game where you are all trying to make a giant tower. You draw a card that tells you the condition on placing pillars, then you have to match colored pillars to colored spots on each floor piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEHZHmozoGM

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Oenis posted:

My favorite stacking game is Pinnacle. Asmodee put it out under their Mixlore brand and it was a Target exclusive I believe. Full Disclosure: I worked at the creative studio that designed the game and contributed small amounts of work to it. But I genuinely think it has the simplicity of Jenga so its teachable to anyone, but has a greater measure of creativity and strategy to it. I wish it had of gotten more press because I've never shown it to anyone and had them be disappointed.

It is a set of bricks of varying shapes and on your turn you must pick a brick and move it so that its lowest point is higher than its lowest point was when you grabbed it. You may not grab the piece the player before you moved. Some of the pieces are orange and if you grab them they have to go to the top. It's very simple clean fun. I guess I should say that Tom Vasel hated it for whatever reason.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sarx posted:

Full Disclosure: I worked at the creative studio that designed the game and contributed small amounts of work to it.

So it sounds like you and I might know each other, because I worked at that studio all of last year.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Some Numbers posted:

So it sounds like you and I might know each other, because I worked at that studio all of last year.

Yep. I believe that we do.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Where would one learn more about it or acquire a copy? BGG is sparse with details, not even a rulebook

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I know we discussed Marvel Champions in this thread a while back, and FFG had issues meeting demand. I was kinda holding off on buying it while that was the case, but it looks like most stuff is in stock on the ffg website, and that there are more expansions coming down the pipe. Is there a general thread concensus on it at this point? I don't have a game like this in my collection currently, and I game with a few folks that I think would enjoy it. (Because they've played and enjoyed other similar games.)

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Shadow225 posted:

Where would one learn more about it or acquire a copy? BGG is sparse with details, not even a rulebook

I believe you can buy it via Amazon or Barnes & Noble now. I think it's like 16 dollars.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

armorer posted:

I know we discussed Marvel Champions in this thread a while back, and FFG had issues meeting demand. I was kinda holding off on buying it while that was the case, but it looks like most stuff is in stock on the ffg website, and that there are more expansions coming down the pipe. Is there a general thread concensus on it at this point? I don't have a game like this in my collection currently, and I game with a few folks that I think would enjoy it. (Because they've played and enjoyed other similar games.)

It's good. Not as deep as Arkham with deck building (a plus for many) and not as difficult (though I think there's a hard mode for every scenario), and the next big box expansion is going to include campaign play so your character grows over the course of a number of scenarios. It's more comic book than movie universe and they've done a good job using the property and pairing mechanics and theme. If you like Marvel it'll probably be a hit.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bausack/Bandu is a great stacking/bidding game about bean management that doesn’t get enough love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hello did somebody say beans and bidding?