Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's like he's running off the behavioural "science" that led the tories to not enforce a lock down until it led to the worst death rates in Europe.

Utterly craven at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugh, a friend's lost his dad and one of our pub quiz regulars is gone too, both confirmed coronavirus. My friend was granted a final visit at least, but he's now in quarantine for 14 days.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

whoa when did Good Morning Britain unionise? thats great

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i keep getting worried about this couple across the street. i usually sit by the window so every now and then, even before the lockdown, i would hear the guy yelling at his kids or possibly also at his wife/girlfriend. I generally can't really make out what's being said but the force of the tone is always kind of suspicious. just now I heard him going off on one with the kids and the woman there, something about how she shouldn't have left the window open and now one of the kids has dropped something out of it, or something, with a whole lot of "loving"s thrown in. I don't know these people at all and I don't really know if there is anything I can do or could do or if i'll ever know if there's something going on or if i just don't like people raising their voice in any capacity. i imagine the lockdown isn't helping the situation any regardless

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Butternubs posted:

Yeah, absolutely no idea what Stamers game is asking about the exit strategy, there hasn't been an entry strategy or a peak strategy yet.

Honesty just comes across as the most transparent political points grabbing and makes him look like he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about, not a good start Keir.

As far as I can figure it they're trying to get ahead of the conversation so in a few weeks they can say "We've been calling for an exit strategy for weeks now!" and/or the exit strategy part is the only weakness in the overall strategy they think they can press the government on while still supporting the government.

It's dumb though because testing, medical provision and exit strategy are all interdependant, they all need to be working together so you can't really focus on one part of it and the exit strategy is the least important part right now.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Angepain posted:

i keep getting worried about this couple across the street. i usually sit by the window so every now and then, even before the lockdown, i would hear the guy yelling at his kids or possibly also at his wife/girlfriend. I generally can't really make out what's being said but the force of the tone is always kind of suspicious. just now I heard him going off on one with the kids and the woman there, something about how she shouldn't have left the window open and now one of the kids has dropped something out of it, or something, with a whole lot of "loving"s thrown in. I don't know these people at all and I don't really know if there is anything I can do or could do or if i'll ever know if there's something going on or if i just don't like people raising their voice in any capacity. i imagine the lockdown isn't helping the situation any regardless

please phone 101 right now, see what a professional thinks of your concerns.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1250494931472351236?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bad news for those of us hoping that it's less transmissible in hot humid climates like Africa:
Possible Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in a Public Bath Center

quote:

Data were collected from Huai’an No. 4 Hospital of Jiangsu Province, China. A total of 9 patients who had been to the same bath center were hospitalized and enrolled from January 25, 2020, to February 10, 2020. Throat swab samples were collected, and SARS-CoV-2 was detected using a quantitative reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction assay.

The bath center for men was approximately 300 m2, with temperatures from 25 to 41 °C and humidity of approximately 60%.

Previous studies have demonstrated that the transmission rate of a virus is significantly weakened in an environment with high temperature and humidity. However, judging from the results of this study, the transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 showed no signs of weakening in warm and humid conditions.

It's a bath, rather than Africa, so it's not a direct comparison, but it's a negative sign compared to the other SARS.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

It's a bath, rather than Africa, so it's not a direct comparison,

the brass eye comeback is shaping up well so far

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/1250500913393012736?s=20

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

interesting update on the state of farm labour in the UK

https://www.ft.com/content/0419885b-e865-4e27-8716-b819e046b3e3

quote:

Farms use charter flights to bring seasonal workers to UK

Local recruitment bearing fruit but migrant staff needed to help train new labourers

UK farms and recruiters are turning to charter flights to bring in seasonal migrant workers to ensure the spring and summer harvest can proceed despite the coronavirus crisis.

G’s Fresh, a leading produce supplier, has chartered an aeroplane on Thursday to transport 150 workers from Romania, which has banned all scheduled flights. Air Charter Service (ACS), the company providing the flight, said it was in discussions about another five potential flights to Britain before the end of June.

The flights are taking place in addition to large-scale campaigns to recruit UK residents, including those laid off from other sectors because of coronavirus.

Anthony Gardiner, marketing director at G’s Fresh, said a campaign to recruit local workers had been “extremely successful” but added: “The people coming tomorrow are our returnees who we offered contracts to at the end of last season. They’ve got established food hygiene and handling skills, also health and safety. We need these people to come back to support and train our UK workers.”

Pro Force, a recruiter for the farming and food sectors, said it was looking at charter flights from various countries in addition to local recruitment.

Britain normally recruits 70,000 to 80,000 migrant seasonal workers to harvest fruit and vegetables, many from eastern Europe, in addition to longer-term arrivals who work in sectors such as food processing.

But the pandemic has disrupted that pattern of travel: many scheduled air, train and bus services have been cancelled and some countries have closed their borders, while farmers say some workers fear catching coronavirus or being unable to return home if they travel.

Asparagus harvesting has already begun in the UK and the need for workers will increase in May as more crops ripen.

Matthew Purton, group commercial jets director at ACS, said seats on charter aircraft cost at least double those on scheduled flights. “This is a completely new line of business for us,” he said.

It is not clear who will cover the additional cost of the charter flights. Some recruiters and farms pass on the cost to workers, although G's did not specify whether it was doing so.

Pro Force said it would need to fill about 20,000 to 30,000 vacancies during the harvesting season and that about 4,000 people had applied in the UK so far, many of them laid off from sectors including hospitality and retail during the outbreak.

Siobhan Marsh, compliance manager at Pro Force, said the company wanted to fly in returnees on scheduled flights or, if necessary, on chartered aircraft. “We will prioritise our staff who have been trained and have been coming back for years,” she said.

Concordia, another big recruiter in the sector, said it had looked at charter flights but was focused on local recruitment, after 32,000 UK-based workers applied for jobs in what chief executive Stephanie Maurel called a “phenomenal” response.

Ms Maurel said she was “nervous that there might be an extra element of risk involved” with flights. “But this remains on the table — everything is on the table to support farms,” she said.

Images from Romania’s Cluj airport at the weekend showed people crammed into its departures hall awaiting flights to Germany, which is chartering planes to fly in thousands of workers. This raised concerns about potential coronavirus transmission.

Mr Purton said ACS was being helped by governments in reducing coronavirus infection risk and was taking measures including providing masks and hand sanitiser and ensuring flights are not completely full so that social distancing can take place.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What if singapore, but with planes?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1250521254597144577

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerv posted:

interesting update on the state of farm labour in the UK

https://www.ft.com/content/0419885b-e865-4e27-8716-b819e046b3e3

Can afford charter flights, can't afford to actually pay a decent wage.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/1250527493590781953

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The arms embargo and the product boycotts and the state repression were problems, but they're problems that states routinely carry on with for long periods of time. (And the CIA were quite happy to circumvent the embargo in the name of fighting communism.)

What a state can't carry on with is a loss of the idea of the national mission, and South Africa's was militarism under the doctrine that they had superior firepower and tactics and the enemy were a bunch of bush people with spears and rocks. The crushing defeat at Cuito Cuanavale, and the government having to negotiate defeat and depart Namibia in an orderly fashion in order to get out of the mess they made was a blow to the government and national psyche on a huge scale.

"Cairo in 30 days" was something white South Africans would bring up entirely out of the blue right up to the end of the apartheid era - the idea of the superiority of their army and its ability to conquer the entire continent was an article of faith among them. Fascists gonna fash, and that sort of thinking is pretty ingrained into all of them, and it's why direct action (from Cable Street to Stalingrad) to disabuse them of that notion is by far the best way of deflating them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Can afford charter flights, can't afford to actually pay a decent wage.

200 quid for a charter flight seat is a hell of a saving compared to paying the kind of wages you'd need to pay most English people to do that sort of work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
seeing lots of BAME people on twitter who are really upset/angry at the report justifiably and starmer loving this up is going to end badly

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

People have been saying this for the last decade (hell, I've been saying it at points myself) and I've yet to see it bearing any fruit whatsoever. The Tory party ran on a ticket of turbo-xenophobia at the last election and won by a landslide. Whatever the solution is, it can't involve waiting for demographic change.

Lying. In the 2019 election the Tories absolutely didn't run on a ticket of turbo-xenophobia, compared to the brexit referendum or the 2017 unapologia for Theresa Mays time as Home Secretary it was almost decent. Boris' history of wink-wink racist jokes probably incentivised some racists that would have voted Tory either way but he didn't campaign on xenophobia, his first cabinet was the most ethnically diverse in British history and that wasn't a shock moment it was consistent with the campaigning. Saying the Tory 2019 victory was 'a ticket of turbo-xenophobia' is just a baffling take it's actively ahistorical.

Even taking brexit as a proxy for xenophobia, which I'm assuming you're doing and is broadly fair btw, the moment after Leavers won the referendum, on a tactically-split ticket half of which without doubt could accurately be called turbo-xenophobia, they pivoted their message away from the initial justifications for leaving to them being apolitical defenders of direct democracy. It was incredibly effective and morally sound, and that was the angle Johnson took too this idea that the 2019 election would even need xenophobia doesn't make sense; the xenophobia is now folded into the infinitely more defensible Respect Democracy argument.

You shouldn't use this as evidence for any doomer poo poo, your description is wrong and we've no reason to think The Kids Are Alright is wrong, the historical Labour surge of 2017 and the historical Labour defeat of 2019 are differentiated only by the changed brexit stance and 2 extra years of media indoctrination, but media indoctrination is surmountable and the brexit event was temporally located and it's not like these fucks are going to improve the material conditions for young people are they?

I'm perpetually desperate for Lewis to stop Being A Bit poo poo, he's an amazing potential candidate, but for fucks sakes man if someone calls you a oval office it's fine to say oval office back don't hedge with an asterisk.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I see racism is going to be Starmer's Antisemitism. Doesn't really matter what he does, it's going to plague him.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Aramoro posted:

I see racism is going to be Starmer's Antisemitism. Doesn't really matter what he does, it's going to plague him.

I doubt the press will give a hoot because Starmer conforms to their vested interests unlike his predecessor

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

I doubt the press will give a hoot because Starmer conforms to their vested interests unlike his predecessor

Potentially they didn't give a poo poo about the Tories Islamaphobia for the brief moment it was a thing. Kinda depends if the rest of the Labour party manage to let it go.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lenmccluskey/status/1250408736579112963?s=21

The tweet and headline really don't convey the tone of the article. Big Len's out for blood.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Do you suppose the media would pretend to care about Diane Abbott's feelings in order to attack Starmer? Or will they find a way to decry Starmer's lack of action on racism within his party while continuing to dog whistle about Abbott (and the rest of the black Labour MPs) like they normally do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aramoro posted:

I mean I think the difference is that he's literally surrounding himself with big racists who he won't criticise despite blatant proof of their big racism.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I think the difference is that he's literally surrounding himself with big racists who he won't criticise despite blatant proof of their big racism.

Like the truth actually matters?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

200 quid for a charter flight seat is a hell of a saving compared to paying the kind of wages you'd need to pay most English people to do that sort of work.

In quarantine times though? I've signed up to do it, picking fruit in the sun with a bluetooth speaker and getting tipsy in a barn dorm with some based eastern-europeans each night sounds fun at the moment and getting paid for it too? I'm English people I'm well up for that and btw if the wages are so beneath you to even consider them worthy then congrats being so much better than and inplicitely dehumanising the precariat I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Turns out that Starmer might be onto something with that exit strategy thing after all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Like the truth actually matters?

It matters to the membership, I think. This isn't manufactured outrage, this is people actually being angry about real facts that actually happened.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Goons, a few pages ago some of you talked about identity politics, one of you even posted a Jacobin video.

Could you recommend a book to a dufus (or maybe another YouTube video) on the subject? Thank you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vitamin P posted:

I'm perpetually desperate for Lewis to stop Being A Bit poo poo, he's an amazing potential candidate, but for fucks sakes man if someone calls you a oval office it's fine to say oval office back don't hedge with an asterisk.

What a bizarre thing to get bent out of shape about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if there's really a single coherent definition. If I was to give one it would be "identity politics is politics done by people I don't like"

Generally it refers to like, politics driven by personal feelings and identity rather than supposed "material concerns" or whatever except that presumes a hard disconnect between personal identity and material conditions and concerns, which I don't think exists.

So it's often used by like, weird auth left people who don't like all these gays and wimmins and races in my leftism. And also by the right wing weirdos who definitely don't like any of those people either. But you can also just use it to describe, like, the process by which people are motivated through attacks on their selves, physical and perceived, to engage in politics?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

sassassin posted:

What a bizarre thing to get bent out of shape about.

Lewis is a charismatic handsome ex-military man that has drunk-tweeted extremely cogent and explicitly anti-neoliberal takes, he seems to genuinely understand how awful neoliberal atomisation is, by any measure he's a legit good bloke with a potentially massive electoral appeal but he just won't get involved he won't fight.

Pray please tell me what part of that analysis is me getting 'bent out of shape' saying a potentially good representative should start trying harder to be good doesn't seem mad to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't he hardcore remain?

Also I'm fairly sure if he posts the word oval office on twitter he would get his account suspended.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Cairo in 30 days" was something white South Africans would bring up entirely out of the blue right up to the end of the apartheid era - the idea of the superiority of their army and its ability to conquer the entire continent was an article of faith among them. Fascists gonna fash, and that sort of thinking is pretty ingrained into all of them, and it's why direct action (from Cable Street to Stalingrad) to disabuse them of that notion is by far the best way of deflating them.
There's some Afrikaans language sources that boast about using the same tactics as Erwin Rommel at ~Benghazi~ to take Cuito Cuanavale by land storm with tanks.

Doubly ironic in that they'd later repeat the 'retreat and hide in the desert while everyone else gets surrounded' bit of Rommel's campaign, and that the gunners that achieved that for the Commonwealth were South African.

Also

Vitamin P posted:

And then Twitter would suspend him for saying the American misogyny word, because you know they would.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

In quarantine times though? I've signed up to do it, picking fruit in the sun with a bluetooth speaker and getting tipsy in a barn dorm with some based eastern-europeans each night sounds fun at the moment and getting paid for it too? I'm English people I'm well up for that and btw if the wages are so beneath you to even consider them worthy then congrats being so much better than and inplicitely dehumanising the precariat I guess.

a) The word "most" was in there for a reason. There were a million unemployed people in the UK this time last year and most of them weren't up for it.

b) You have no loving clue how physically punishing fruit picking is. It's not stopping at a layby and filling a couple of punnets of strawbs, it's probably about the hardest physical labour imaginable and god loving help you if you don't get your bargain in or let a single dodgy fruit through. Do me a favour - crouch down on your haunches and move your hands from ground level to above your head. Then take a step forward and do it again. Then do that for 16 hours, with the length of your breaks being determined by how quickly you can do it. Then do it for two weeks with no days off, with your accommodation being a sub-Pontins chalet shared with 3 other people if you're lucky, or a repurposed chicken coop with a sleeping bag if you're not.

c) Eastern Europeans (and others from poorer countries) come to richer countries to get the harvests in because of the massive multiplier effect - three months getting the harvest in will pay them the equivalent of a years wages at home, if not more. I'd put up with a lot of poo poo to earn quadruple the wages I get now.

d) Go gently caress yourself. If anything you're the one dehumanising poorer people with your "Sounds like a lark, I quite fancy it to get out of the house for a while".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vitamin P posted:

Lewis is a charismatic handsome ex-military man that has drunk-tweeted extremely cogent and explicitly anti-neoliberal takes, he seems to genuinely understand how awful neoliberal atomisation is, by any measure he's a legit good bloke with a potentially massive electoral appeal but he just won't get involved he won't fight.

Pray please tell me what part of that analysis is me getting 'bent out of shape' saying a potentially good representative should start trying harder to be good doesn't seem mad to me.

The "but for fucks sakes man".

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

bornbytheriver posted:

Goons, a few pages ago some of you talked about identity politics, one of you even posted a Jacobin video.

Could you recommend a book to a dufus (or maybe another YouTube video) on the subject? Thank you.

So the identity politics critique cuts along 2 basic lines, the first is conversatives and fascists that hate minority groups gaining any power or representation so they use the IDpol criticism to weaken those groups, the second is leftists who noticed identity politics is very easily coopted by neoliberals to undermine class consciousness and manufacture a false moral code.

There isn't really an easily accessible link but the best moralistic intellectuals alive right now are Zizek and Nagle so those are good start points.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't he hardcore remain?

Yeah lots of good people are hardcore remain, as long as he doesn't do the Starmer anti-democratic poo poo it's irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't he literally quit the cabinet because he wouldn't vote to facilitate brexit?