Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hello Sailor posted:

Are you saying that developers in the year 2000 shouldn't have been expected to understand that players might not be connected to their game 24/7?

Compared to the billion other things that needed done? No, not really. Especilly since you could give recruitment powers to others to have more timezone coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I guess I didn't realize it was so time-consuming and difficult to implement. We should be grateful they found the time to include a mail system and an auction house, neither of which require the players on either end of the interaction to be online simultaneously.

e: You realize I'm not specifically targeting the LOTRO devs with this complaint, right? Most MMOs have this problem, including Last Oasis, which just came out last weekend and is even worse, because it also requires both players be in the same zone.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 6, 2020

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-producers-letter-look-2020

Producers Letter, totally going to update the Legendary item system this year, honest, pinky swear guys its gonna happen, not like the past 3 years they said it was going to happen!

Also Rohan Housing, new type of Legendary server and some kind of pvp server, which seems odd.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm a few levels into mordor right now, and its good stuff. I kinda regret that I did not come back when it was in full swing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nektu posted:

I'm a few levels into mordor right now, and its good stuff. I kinda regret that I did not come back when it was in full swing.

I don't think LOTRO was ever in full swing when Mordor was introduced to the game. I remember playing when it first launched, and came across only a handful of players. LOTRO is a really good MMORPG, dont get me wrong, but its player numbers peaked with Mines of Moria and dropped way off shortly after it went free to play.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So are wardens kind of lacklustre now? That's a shame, they are a very low key cool and unique class.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

I said come in! posted:

I don't think LOTRO was ever in full swing when Mordor was introduced to the game. I remember playing when it first launched, and came across only a handful of players. LOTRO is a really good MMORPG, dont get me wrong, but its player numbers peaked with Mines of Moria and dropped way off shortly after it went free to play.

Mordor absolutely had a bunch of players in the zones the first week or so of release, which was good because the mobs were incredibly overtuned for solo play at release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jalapeno_dude posted:

Mordor absolutely had a bunch of players in the zones the first week or so of release, which was good because the mobs were incredibly overtuned for solo play at release.

Yeah that killed the expansion for me extremely fast. Now it's perfect and a lot of fun. Its better time to come play Mordor now compared to release.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Does anything from mordor carry over into the latest expansion or is it a full reset of everything as usual?

And is there still a point to melding relics into tier 10s?
As far as I can see all mordor and following relics seem to be crafted or bartered for instead.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 12, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So ended up doing misty -> angmar -> forochol and finally heading to eregion at level 55; I've kind of been sucked into the epic book things so I've been doing those and avoiding a lot of other quests.

Quick question, I'm running a hunter and I wanted to ask about virtues, currently I'm using the following: Confidence, Determination, Valour, Wit and Zeal.

Are those fine or should I swap one (or more) out for another?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I went back into Middle Earth after ages off, and was surprised that there were no add on packs for me to buy with my accumulated lifetime membership bucks. Did buy stout-axes tho.

I noticed a few things have changed, like apparently there's pets now? I need me some pets.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Chairchucker posted:

I went back into Middle Earth after ages off, and was surprised that there were no add on packs for me to buy with my accumulated lifetime membership bucks. Did buy stout-axes tho.

I noticed a few things have changed, like apparently there's pets now? I need me some pets.
Right now the expansions are free to play, and as such dont show up in the shop. This will change at some point in the future.

Also you can always buy a level 95 cheat or something to jump over the suck that is rohan.

MF_James posted:

So ended up doing misty -> angmar -> forochol and finally heading to eregion at level 55; I've kind of been sucked into the epic book things so I've been doing those and avoiding a lot of other quests.

Quick question, I'm running a hunter and I wanted to ask about virtues, currently I'm using the following: Confidence, Determination, Valour, Wit and Zeal.

Select virtues that increase your offensive stats as much as possible. If you feel to squishy, add in some defensive ones. The character screen offers tooltips for the different stats that explains what they do.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nektu posted:

Right now the expansions are free to play, and as such dont show up in the shop. This will change at some point in the future.

Also you can always buy a level 95 cheat or something to jump over the suck that is rohan.

My Hobbit Burglar is level 105 so all good there. Haven't tried levelling her more because I forgot what the hell I'm doing, but I did go back to Evendim to try grinding some slayer deeds and oh boy I did not enjoy hunting down getheryg.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

MF_James posted:

They're probably fine for now. Maybe Idealism over Zeal, since Might does almost nothing for hunters and Fate adds almost as much crit rating along with a grab bag of other useful stats. It's not unlikely that you'll hit the caps for physical mastery and crit rating somewhere down the line, at which point there's no reason not to slot traits for durability and longevity.

e: Welp, ignore that last bit. Found the updated formulas for crit rating and whatnot buried in the wiki and they're tiered past level 75 to be increasingly difficult to reach. Keep on keepin' on with the offensive virtues.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 14, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Also, something I've been wondering, are there any plugins that I should be using or would be useful to use?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

https://massivelyop.com/2020/04/14/lord-of-the-rings-online-starts-testing-update-26-now-with-race-changes/

Looks like race changes are coming in an upcoming patch.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

I've been waiting for this so I can switch my Guardian to a Stout Axe.

The link to the new zone preview also shows what looks to be the River Hobbits. Should be the new premium Hobbit race.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

MF_James posted:

Also, something I've been wondering, are there any plugins that I should be using or would be useful to use?

Palantir II gives you a good HUD. I also use BuffBars to keep track of times effects, though I hear there are some more modern alternatives like BuffMonitor. Daily Tasks, Stable Guy and Travel Window are the other ones I use regularly. Oh, and KikiInventory is handy if you have a lot of alts and can’t remember who was which items.

If you haven’t used it, PluginCompendium is the easiest way to install plugins and keep them updated.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Dwarven Lore-master when??

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Rudeboy Detective posted:

disgusting

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

MF_James posted:

In retrospect, the Instant Cosby plugin hasn't aged well, but it's still worth trying once.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The new dwarves can't be captains, can they? Do they have any draw that makes people want to play them besides being new? High elves are obvious but I'm surprised they added these. I haven't gotten to Mordor yet though.

I'm back leveling my guardian and warden on Landroval after falling behind on the legendary server. I'd dump em both for a dwarven captain though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Stout-Axes can be burglars, which normal dwarves cannot. They also have a slightly different set of stat bonuses / penalties.

Also, you can have a female stout-axe, although they look identical to males and still have facial hair.

EDIT: Stout-Axes whole 'deal' is that they're the slaves of Mordor and you start in Mordor.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Kaysette posted:

disgusting

I don't think it's any less lore-unfriendly to give a dwarf a gourd of napalm and a walking stick than it is for him to cast fireball and immolate with magic rocks.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I just want to be a heavily armored dwarf leading his plucky battle brother hobbit squire around the lands, righting wrongs and showing the lad how to become slightly more valorous by killing exactly 480 goblins of a particular range of hills.

Thanks for the stout axe info I'll have to check them out. Some day I'll make it to Mordor if I can quit making new characters. My new high elf warden is daunting with the gambit system but I'm starting to get the regulars down. Love their run speed boost, muster teleports and weapon loadout. I got her to 20ish a year or two ago so I had to laugh when I came back, wondered how complicated could it be, and immediately leveled and got 9 new skills (the gambit builder shortcuts).

Edit: this game is relaxing to play in times like this. Walking through Bree, hearing player music and seeing crowds of people gathering and emoting. Riding over a hill and seeing the skybox sunset. It's a nice change of pace.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 15, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When I say they start in Mordor - just their prologue. Then they teleport to the normal dwarf place.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

bagrada posted:

muster teleports

Not gonna lie, if it hadn’t been for Warden teleports I probably wouldn’t ever have bothered completing Volume I of the epic quest line. Book VII to XV is basically a non-stop travel session back and forth between Rivendell and Angmar, so having instant, no-cooldown teleports was real helpful.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Not gonna lie, if it hadn’t been for Warden teleports I probably wouldn’t ever have bothered completing Volume I of the epic quest line. Book VII to XV is basically a non-stop travel session back and forth between Rivendell and Angmar, so having instant, no-cooldown teleports was real helpful.

Yeah I was super glad to be a hunter for that, it was nice when they decided to teleport you for free, why couldn't they all do that!

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

MF_James posted:

Yeah I was super glad to be a hunter for that, it was nice when they decided to teleport you for free, why couldn't they all do that!
Nowadays a good part of the epic quests is just an invitation to spend mithril coins on teleports.
And by that I mean 5 mithril coins per pop because the price went up in mordor :v:

Honestly mithril coins are one of the best uses for lifetime funbucks.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

So, I'm in Moria (holy gently caress is it annoying to navigate so far), I've got rusty dwarf tools that I can trade in for third age epics, do I just slam them all in now or is there a reason to wait?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

MF_James posted:

So, I'm in Moria (holy gently caress is it annoying to navigate so far), I've got rusty dwarf tools that I can trade in for third age epics, do I just slam them all in now or is there a reason to wait?

They are only good for legendaries and relics of level 53 and 55, then it's a different currency. You can wait for 55 but you'll be on to the next tier soon enough.

I enjoyed Moria but this will be my third time through in ~six years. If the 50 boost was a 60 boost I'd consider it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, I've only run through Moria once so far and while it was an amazing* experience, I really don't want to go through it again any time soon.

* Still bummed that you can't climb the Endless Stair all the way from the Foundations of Stone to Zirakzigil. :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can hobbits be Captains yet or does Lotro still continue to deny Merry and Pippin their due?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Yeah, I've only run through Moria once so far and while it was an amazing* experience, I really don't want to go through it again any time soon.

* Still bummed that you can't climb the Endless Stair all the way from the Foundations of Stone to Zirakzigil. :smith:

You can and do in one of the Enedwaith instances. The 12 man, I think?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can hobbits be Captains yet or does Lotro still continue to deny Merry and Pippin their due?

LOTRO still hates people who want cool race/class combinations, yes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

Frodo is a captain. Merry and Pippin are both pets who get shuffled around owners throughout the story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

sassassin posted:

Frodo is a captain. Merry and Pippin are both pets who get shuffled around owners throughout the story.

They're captains in the shire's fight against sharky's men. :eng101:

LOTRO still hates people who want cool race/class combinations, yes.

Figures.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Maybe the new hobbit race will be able to pick captain. But I'm guessing they get loremaster.

e: I wonder how many players would have aneurysms if the new hobbits could be beornings.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 17, 2020

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'm just sort of amazed that SSG hasn't opened up more class/race combinations.

There isn't a good reason that a hobbit can't have a human slave or a dwarf can't have napalm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Decisions like that still belong to Tolkien Estate and not SSG, so it's a moot point.