Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Someone tell me the ONE EASY TRICK to being able to keep using my office chair mat (which is for carpet and has those little spiky things) on my laminate floor. I could buy a 36x48 cheap mat perhaps to put the chair mat on. I'm guessing putting on a piece of my old carpet won't look too modern.

I have no idea if the casters on the chair will damage the laminate, but I suppose I should assume so unless they tell me otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

imagine having norovirus here

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wooger posted:

Why is it so expensive in 2020, given that it was designed decades ago, and can be mass produced from cheap materials?

So that design patent fees can be paid to a company which a long dead man worked for in the 60s, because that benefits society, somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjhF3de3fgk

yeah, def no benefit to society and no difference in materials or manufacturing here

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

actionjackson posted:

Someone tell me the ONE EASY TRICK to being able to keep using my office chair mat (which is for carpet and has those little spiky things) on my laminate floor. I could buy a 36x48 cheap mat perhaps to put the chair mat on. I'm guessing putting on a piece of my old carpet won't look too modern.

I have no idea if the casters on the chair will damage the laminate, but I suppose I should assume so unless they tell me otherwise.

Swap the current casters for some :krad: roller skate style ones like these.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

PRADA SLUT posted:

yeah, def no benefit to society and no difference in materials or manufacturing here

one of the things they showed us when i was in school was this old rear end video of eames shell chair production when they were all fiberglass & resin (before they switched over to IM/polyprop in the 90s), and it was all workers with no masks or gloves, just grabbing fiberglass shells with bare rear end hands and pouring resin, and trimming on a bandsaw with about 1/2" margins of safety.

they started manufacturing fiberglass shells again a few years ago, but afaik not that common

it took a while but i found the video, and yep, as gross as i remember: https://www.hermanmiller.com/video-gallery/fiberglass-chairs/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Did you ever achieve your life's dream of finding a hook to hang car keys on designed by a Famous Designer or whatever?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

actionjackson posted:

Someone tell me the ONE EASY TRICK to being able to keep using my office chair mat (which is for carpet and has those little spiky things) on my laminate floor. I could buy a 36x48 cheap mat perhaps to put the chair mat on. I'm guessing putting on a piece of my old carpet won't look too modern..
Duct tape it to the floor. (or buy a sticky nonslip underlay?)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Freaquency posted:

Did not know about these, thanks. Have ordered a set and will report back if they allow me to ditch the cheap Ikea rug I’m slowly destroying in my office.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Get a small carpet or a chair mat that isn't designed to sit on carpet? If you need to keep it from moving buy some carpet tape.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Freaquency posted:

Neat, I didn't know about these either. Gonna see if they'll fit my Steelcase Think chair.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

What is there to hate about minimalism? I fundamentally like the idea of just not having a lot of stuff, only what is necessary.

I don't like minimal color and a lack of decoration.

Philosophically speaking, modern minimalism is 90% rich people engaging in performative stoicism in the face of mass consumerism, as though they aren't just as dependent on a complex, materialistic, highly connected society capable of meeting their needs at a moment's notice as someone in a mcmansion full of mass produced crap.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I mean I like having something made well in the US, but I don't need a chair designed to last 150 years, or a chair that is polished for eight hours, as the video mentions.

Wallet posted:

Get a small carpet or a chair mat that isn't designed to sit on carpet? If you need to keep it from moving buy some carpet tape.

I'm just going to get an office chair mat for hard floors, just was seeing if there's any alternatives. I could get casters with rubber but they aren't going to match the chair, or necessarily even fit. This is the chair (in gray)

https://www.bludot.com/daily-task-chair.html

And no I didn't pay anywhere near that price, they are based here so they have an outlet open on weekends.

there wolf posted:

I don't like minimal color and a lack of decoration.

Philosophically speaking, modern minimalism is 90% rich people engaging in performative stoicism in the face of mass consumerism, as though they aren't just as dependent on a complex, materialistic, highly connected society capable of meeting their needs at a moment's notice as someone in a mcmansion full of mass produced crap.

I suppose I like modernism, not necessarily minimalism. I don't own any furniture that's incredibly expensive, but I do like stuff that is neutral in color - however this is so things like plants and such with a lot of color really stand out in contrast.

I definitely highly prefer solid colors and straight lines. When looking for rugs for my new floor, I pretty much disliked anything with an actual pattern or any brightness.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 16, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

PRADA SLUT posted:

ah yes, buying furniture one time and keeping it for 35 years

truly the pinnacle of consumerist ideology

bro I'm on your side, there are people in this movement, however, who are chasing this as the next in a series of fads they are using to try to give their lives meaning through the removing of stuff the same as anyone else tries by buying stuff.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

bro I'm on your side, there are people in this movement, however, who are chasing this as the next in a series of fads they are using to try to give their lives meaning through the removing of stuff the same as anyone else tries by buying stuff.

Yeah, it's other people, not Prada who lives in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world, spend thousands of dollars on a 'classic style' chair that just so happens to be a fad among rich tech-bros, and when confronted with the idea that people have different tastes and circumstances which govern their relationship to stuff, goes full bootstrap about how we just aren't trying hard enough to be free of material wants.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I hate this so much I've started liking it.

I can imagine the huge surprise the owners got the first time they ever tried to sit on the corner of that bed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Those rug rooms are only cool if you have hookahs everywhere

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

falz posted:

Is this Screech's house?

Its the back room at the Max, where Zack and Slater were boning Kelly, Jessie and Lisa and all the other stacies at Bayside.
Screech was sitting in the front room forlornly with his milkshake waiting for "the gang" to show up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

there wolf posted:

Yeah, it's other people, not Prada who lives in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world, spend thousands of dollars on a 'classic style' chair that just so happens to be a fad among rich tech-bros, and when confronted with the idea that people have different tastes and circumstances which govern their relationship to stuff, goes full bootstrap about how we just aren't trying hard enough to be free of material wants.

Yes, definitely 100% about the exact dollar amount people spend, and not about people mindlessly buying a thing that they saw that one time and it was sort of okay, and then churning it every few years for something that they saw again that was sort of fine I guess but its on sale so maybe its okay and I'm already at Costco, so

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

actionjackson posted:

I suppose I like modernism, not necessarily minimalism. I don't own any furniture that's incredibly expensive, but I do like stuff that is neutral in color - however this is so things like plants and such with a lot of color really stand out in contrast.

I definitely highly prefer solid colors and straight lines. When looking for rugs for my new floor, I pretty much disliked anything with an actual pattern or any brightness.

That's the whole point of doing neutrals, is because you can put focus on the items themselves. It's why art galleries have white walls.

I have a theory that people who do neutrals tend to be more conscious/deliberate of whatever items they have because they stand out more with neutrals, whereas I keep seeing people looking for wall colors as a way to hide/blend things a room they otherwise don't really like in the first place, like over seasoning a dish to homogenize the contents.

I'm not saying it's the case for like all wall paint, but there seems to be a lot of remedial panting going on, whereas I rarely see people repainting to white.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's the whole point of doing neutrals, is because you can put focus on the items themselves. It's why art galleries have white walls.

I have a theory that people who do neutrals tend to be more conscious/deliberate of whatever items they have because they stand out more with neutrals, whereas I keep seeing people looking for wall colors as a way to hide/blend things a room they otherwise don't really like in the first place, like over seasoning a dish to homogenize the contents.

I'm not saying it's the case for like all wall paint, but there seems to be a lot of remedial panting going on, whereas I rarely see people repainting to white.

Yes I’m sure most people think their aesthetic preferences also mean they are superior human beings

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

actionjackson posted:

I mean I like having something made well in the US, but I don't need a chair designed to last 150 years, or a chair that is polished for eight hours, as the video mentions.

But it’ll be equally uncomfortable every day for 150 years!

There is nothing special about a chair made in a factory in Pennsylvania using antiquated techniques, by people who can’t pronounce the word roof properly.

Especially if you’re not from the US.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Didn't pradaslut buy a hundred dollar laundry basket?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes I’m sure most people think their aesthetic preferences also mean they are superior human beings

Someones projecting hard here if you're getting triggered by the notion that you should take a moment to consider the things you buy

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

actionjackson posted:

The polishing is also something brought in by wealthy customers rather than part of the original design, because the navy cared more about the fact that it could be thrown off the eight floor of a building and survive intact than how shiny it was.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
thread in a nutshell:

post: "hey guys I spent weeks searching and I found this cute vintage chair that used to be part of an old barn!"

thread: "wow so cute / classic / original / kitschy / pinterestable / etc"

post2: "hey guys I spent weeks searching and I found this cute classic chair from that started a design movement that modern designers still draw from"

thread: "omg why you think you're better than everyone consumerist pig"

Never change goons

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "monochromatic"

because we all know small children hate bright colors

so monochromatic they got a beige pool table

so monochromatic even their yoga studio is in grayscale

BONUS: I found the "I'm not like other girls" of real estate ad copy. The house isn't even that interesting.

some pretentious motherfucker posted:

Not for everyone. If you're afraid of stairs, need a backyard, or are looking for a subdivided McMansion, take a pass on this one. If you'd enjoy the charm of a sparkling jewel-box of a house with a patio and enormous balcony that preside over a rose garden and overlook a minareted dome(!), have a look. This pied-a-terre in 1240 square feet presents the best available views in Casa Blanca, which began life as one of Arizona's finest resorts (the Duke and Duchess of Windsor were ready to winter at Casa Blanca until it was revealed to the resort's owner that they traveled with an entourage of of two dozen retainers and rarely paid their bills). The resort property was lovingly preserved, retaining its quixotic quirks, and converted to freehold properties, in the middle 1980s. This is a vintage Les Paul guitar, a Brian Ferry song, a Mapplethorpe lily, a suite at the Langham. There's lots of smooth jazz, Lawrence Welk, and monochromatic sofa-matches-the-soft-contemporary stuff out there. This isn't it. Please come and linger in our rose garden. Boring details: Two bedrooms, one and-a-half baths, excellent finishes throughout, and a very nice stove and stainless steel things.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PRADA SLUT posted:

The first thing we did after closing on this house was to have it repainted white. I can’t imagine living here and having colored walls.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

glad there's a spectator couch in the yoga room

drgitlin posted:

The first thing we did after closing on this house was to have it repainted white. I can't imagine living here and having colored walls.

how do you live with yourself, and your soulless, uninhabitable null space

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

glad there's a spectator couch in the yoga room

how do you live with yourself, and your soulless, uninhabitable null space

Ikr

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm better than all of you, no offense

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:3:

source

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "monochromatic"

that light gray paint is what I did in my entry, since it goes so well with white closet doors.

But this needs way more color. I get it's monochromatic, but come on now. Even some tile design above the stove would be nice.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Those catwalks often look like inconvenient places to try and clean cat vomit from.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I posted the San Diego Cat's House before right?

The original owners sold it in 2013 and the new owners don't have a cat and just painted the whole house white. I feel like if you bought this place you would have to put at least one cat in it, right? Otherwise it just looks like weird strips of wood and cat-sized holes all over the place.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

I posted the San Diego Cat's House before right?

The original owners sold it in 2013 and the new owners don't have a cat and just painted the whole house white. I feel like if you bought this place you would have to put at least one cat in it, right? Otherwise it just looks like weird strips of wood and cat-sized holes all over the place.

time lapse or the real deal you decide

drgitlin posted:

Those catwalks often look like inconvenient places to try and clean cat vomit from.

just lol if you don't think you're going to get carpet bombed while you walk underfoot

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I mean, there’s a reason we bought a house that has no carpeting. I’ve resigned myself to never being able to own a nice rug as long as we share our space with small-brained furry libertarians.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Couple of reports about PRADA "derailing" the thread in here. To that I say:

1. What rails do you think this thread is on that doesn't include debate about interior decorating preferences?
2. If this is your first "you're a lazy slob for having stuff everywhere" / "you're an elitist prick for saying that and/or buying 3 grand coat hooks" volley then you must be new here, welcome.
3. Posting in and/or reading the interior design thread while complaining about PRADA's posting is like punching yourself in the dick and complaining that your piss is red. You've brought this on yourselves.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

My family had a cat that woudl sleep on the railing/half-wall that was above the stairs that ran up to our second floor. As he got older I think he fell off, at least once when he fell asleep. I wonder if it had injured him or caused some other health issues as he got older.

Either way, I do not approve of this narrow death trap unless the owner installs some sort of Foxconn style net below it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Name and shame the reporters, in my opinion. Cowards, the lot.