Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Seaniqua posted:

What kind of gravy are we talking about here?

I know I’m going to open up a can of worms here...

In my family a gravy has always been a big pot of homemade tomato sauce full of meatballs, pork, and sausage. Takes my mom like two days to make.

Picture of said gravy:

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It doesn't matter what you call that it's going to be gooood

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
bird postin' :parrot:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

In my family a gravy has always been a big pot of homemade tomato sauce full of meatballs, pork, and sausage. Takes my mom like two days to make.

Picture of said gravy:

I had never heard this until I married into an Italian family - my wife's grandmother calls her all of her sauces gravy

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
That's what they call Ragu back in the old country https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNSR5k9Fb5I

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Picture of said gravy:

gently caress yeah

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Had a cauliflower so made some 干锅花菜.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Picture of said gravy:

That's a ragu to me, looks really good! I start my bolognese with pork sausage and veal browned in the pot first before deglazing with red wine and doing the normal carrot/celery/onion thing and it ends up looking like that, maybe less brilliant in color.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I tried Chef John's honey-mustard spatchcocked chicken and it came out pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37UB_7q9c7M

The sprouts were marinated in harissa and honey, then lemon-shallot-Evo relish on top.

Please ignore my filthy cutting board.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cheater beef noodle soup ingredients. I know it's not real beef broth and it's not pretty but I don't care. Served hot with copious chopped cilantro and scallions it tastes enough like the real thing you won't care either. And it takes two minutes instead of four hours.

I should have taken a picture of the finished product because it does look a lot like the real thing with red and green floaties but I slurped it too fast.

do not add coffee

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 14, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
From ragu to ragout.

Chickpea and eggplant ragout over grilled polenta tonight.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

Cheater beef noodle soup ingredients. I know it's not real beef broth and it's not pretty but I don't care. Served hot with copious chopped cilantro and scallions it tastes enough like the real thing you won't care either. And it takes two minutes instead of four hours.

I should have taken a picture of the finished product because it does look a lot like the real thing with red and green floaties but I slurped it too fast.

do not add coffee

Is that soy sauce or shanxi vinegar? how much of that and oyster sauce are you putting in?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dumps and fried rice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

droll posted:

Is that soy sauce or shanxi vinegar? how much of that and oyster sauce are you putting in?

About 1 tsp vinegar and 2 tsp oyster sauce to 1 bouillon/water portion. When I'm just making punched-up noodles I don't measure carefully.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 15, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is it quick replicating anything in particular? Since the virus closed my Lanzhou place I have a real hankering for lamian. I can still buy noodles but I'd have to make the soup myself.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kumba posted:

I had never heard this until I married into an Italian family - my wife's grandmother calls her all of her sauces gravy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso&t=13s

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Is it quick replicating anything in particular? Since the virus closed my Lanzhou place I have a real hankering for lamian. I can still buy noodles but I'd have to make the soup myself.

Nah just tastes like generic beef nood soup you could get at any hole in the wall in China. It takes five minutes to boil the noodles and stir in the ingredients so of course it's not authentic beef broth. But the beef bouillon, oyster sauce and vinegar give it a depth of flavor that instant noodles don't replicate and fresh garnishes push it well within decent food territory.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah just tastes like generic beef nood soup you could get at any hole in the wall in China. It takes five minutes to boil the noodles and stir in the ingredients so of course it's not authentic beef broth. But the beef bouillon, oyster sauce and vinegar give it a depth of flavor that instant noodles don't replicate and fresh garnishes push it well within decent food territory.

If I can locate some bones and a day of my life I have a project. https://thewoksoflife.com/lanzhou-beef-noodle-soup/

Though I will skip the oil and just use some laoganma.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Grand Fromage posted:

If I can locate some bones and a day of my life I have a project. https://thewoksoflife.com/lanzhou-beef-noodle-soup/

Though I will skip the oil and just use some laoganma.

Wow, that sounds delicious

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

Wow, that sounds delicious

It is great. Also if you're in China a bowl of it is like $1.50, tops, which includes the dude making your noodles to order right in front of you.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Nood(le) postin'

Ordered a box of mushrooms from this local place that usually supplies restaurants and is trying to sell all their excess shrooms. Made some delicious carbonara with a handful of them last night. Thinking I may do a chicken/mushroom/leek pot pie next.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Grand Fromage posted:

It is great. Also if you're in China a bowl of it is like $1.50, tops, which includes the dude making your noodles to order right in front of you.

There's a non-insignificant chance I'll be back there at some point for work or pleasure, though I'd probably have to learn enough mandarin to be able to order my own food lol. The one and only time I went I had about 6 weeks notice so all I could learn was the very basics and the "sister city" folks did all the driving and food ordering. It was an incredible experience, but the furthest I got away to explore a bit was to go buy cigarettes on my own.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hunan-style hot chili pork, peasant potatoes, egg fried rice. Normally I wouldn't make fried rice with entrees but I made too much rice earlier in the week... again.

I would use hotter chilis next time, the big chunks of anaheim just weren't hot enough. And a fattier cut of pork. In fact I would replace the two main ingredients. Also more giant chunks of garlic, they were definitely a highlight of the dish. When I ate this in Hunan they pretty much just halved large cloves of garlic or smashed a clove with the side of a cleaver and called it good enough.

The biggest highlight was surprisingly the fried rice, which I made as an afterthought because the rice cooker was still in the fridge full of old rice. Somehow it only works out right when you're furiously scraping the bottom of the pan cursing as burnt rice sticks to the bottom. No rice was actually stuck to the bottom at the end of cooking.:iiam:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 16, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Tonight was tapas Wednesday.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Peach raita, butter chicken, palak paneer, dal makhani, rice n' pickles. I perhaps do not have the finest hand when it comes to drizzling cream.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Sex Hobbit posted:

Peach raita, butter chicken, palak paneer, dal makhani, rice n' pickles. I perhaps do not have the finest hand when it comes to drizzling cream.

Too much cream. Disgusting. This looks terrible. Send it to me for disposal.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sex Hobbit posted:

:gowron:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
belated EATster weekend food dump

obligatory hot cross buns. These were really good. Served with a "hot cross bun Old Fashioned"

used my leftover pork from last week's pork chops to make some very not authentic chili, and some cornbread that I think was too dense

I also made chicarrones but forgot to take a pic.

Then I got excited and made burger buns, to have with vege burgers. This is Joshua Weissman's"best burger bun" recipe from youtube. It's pretty drat good.

Finally, steak. Probably the nicest bit of meat I've had my hands on :v:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sex Hobbit posted:

Wishing my parents didn't hate Indian food right now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Making my from-scratch lasagne and it smells so good but there's still so much to do

Here's a progress photo

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Final product

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
yum! I'd eat the heck outta that.

Gingery Poached Egg Soup & sourdough Spring Onion pancake.

I made bone broth with my pork bones a few days ago and this was a really tasty way to use up the broth.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Threw this together this morning, just rice, beans, onions, some chicken thighs and various spices, mostly cumin and paprika. Gonna let it sit in the fridge for a while and reheat it for dinner.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Mango salsa, rice and beans and mango/chilli glazed chicken breast.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 16, 2020

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

iajanus posted:

Final product

WOULD

Raikiri posted:

Mango salsa, rice and beans and mango/chilli glazed chicken breast.

WOULD

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

slothrop posted:

Then I got excited and made burger buns, to have with vege burgers. This is Joshua Weissman's"best burger bun" recipe from youtube. It's pretty drat good.

What's your veggie burger recipe, this looks like heaven to me?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I made Cassoulet, turned out pretty good.

8 Chicken Thighs
1lb Great Northern Beans
1/2 lb of Pork Belly
1 lb of Andouille sausage
1 cup Carrots
1 Cup Onion
Pepper
Thyme
Bay Leaf

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Haddock with a tomato-basil-white wine sauce

Asparagus salad (with blueberries)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

What's your veggie burger recipe, this looks like heaven to me?

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-best-ever-veggie-burger-96967

enjoy!

TheCog posted:

Haddock with a tomato-basil-white wine sauce

Asparagus salad (with blueberries)

yum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I made Cassoulet, turned out pretty good.

8 Chicken Thighs
1lb Great Northern Beans
1/2 lb of Pork Belly
1 lb of Andouille sausage
1 cup Carrots
1 Cup Onion
Pepper
Thyme
Bay Leaf

Oh my god...