Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

It's still a pretty compelling device. A13 for $399 and updates for 5ish years, yeah that's better than anything android is doing at the pricepoint. Bezels aren't everything. Also, it has wireless charging, something that is usually severely lacking on android devices in that price bracket.

Pretty much this. Name a single Android phone with a flagship SoC and camera at that price bracket with updates past one or two years.

It's very competitive unless screen size is your primary spec point, in which case Samsung has some absolute beasts with 6.4"+ OLEDs with their A series.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CFox posted:

I've always heard that even googles own apps work better on IOS than android, and they get updated sooner

This part isn't really true.

It's true sometimes, but it's not true as a rule.

I say this as someone who is all-in on the Google ecosystem but uses an ipad as my tablet, so I'm constantly using a lot of Google apps on both operating systems.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thermopyle posted:

This part isn't really true.

It's true sometimes, but it's not true as a rule.

I say this as someone who is all-in on the Google ecosystem but uses an ipad as my tablet, so I'm constantly using a lot of Google apps on both operating systems.

I went from a couple of years on iOS back to Android around new year and can't think of a single Google app that doesn't work better on Android (especially stuff like Photos and Maps that likes to run in the background)

Actually I've found the app gap in general to be a bit of an overrated point - the big name stuff like Facebook and Twitter functions exactly the same (that is to say poorly) and for smaller stuff there is usually good options on both platforms.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good text-to-speech app or tool to make your Android phone read arbitrary documents to you through your headphones? I have a bunch of typed-up university notes that I'd like to listen to on the go, but I don't want to have to dictate them all myself. It's already formatted to be TTS-friendly, so I just need a convenient way to make it go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

It's still a pretty compelling device. A13 for $399 and updates for 5ish years, yeah that's better than anything android is doing at the pricepoint. Bezels aren't everything. Also, it has wireless charging, something that is usually severely lacking on android devices in that price bracket.

Yeah but those bezels are insane though. I carried an SE for work and I never got used to that much wasted space.

It's a great device, I'm just saying if they had modernized the screen ratio it would look like a total winner

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Fortunately for Android, the new iPhone SE kept the same giant awful bezels from 5 years ago. If they had increased the screen ratio to modern standards for the $399 price then it would be a very compelling device.

Already been said, but lol. Assuming the camera is more like an iPhone 11 or XR than an 8, it'll be a fantastic and cheap alternative to Pixels. $449 for 128gb, iOS updates, iPhone performance, wireless charging, good enough camera, and a good fingerprint sensor is great.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the iPhone SE 2 looked awesome and then I saw no headphone jack lol

w2g apple

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

we're going on four years since apple has released a phone with a headphone jack, if you're expecting it at this point i don't know what to tell you. doubly so on what is essentially a refresh of a nearly 3 year old phone that didn't have one either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

the iPhone SE 2 looked awesome and then I saw no headphone jack lol

w2g apple

I think it's time to let go of the headphone jack, friend.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think it's time to let go of the headphone jack, friend.

No

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sleepwalkers posted:

we're going on four years since apple has released a phone with a headphone jack, if you're expecting it at this point i don't know what to tell you. doubly so on what is essentially a refresh of a nearly 3 year old phone that didn't have one either.

The SE had it

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

This was in early 2016. Every iPhone had a headphone jack in early 2016.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oops, drat that was a long time ago. I'm really surprised they're bringing the SE back at all then. I'd buy an android phone that size in a heartbeat.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yes, correct. to reiterate: every phone apple's released since the 7 has lacked a headphone jack. if you're ever expecting apple to release a phone with one again, i don't know what to tell you. whether you're ready to let it go or not, it's gone and fighting it makes absolutely no sense.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

If Google is opting out of the spec race

I could not tell the difference between my Pixel 1 and Pixel 3 when I was forced to upgrade due to to hardware failure.

All I want at this point is more battery life, and a phone that is wider than the width between my first and second pinky knuckles. Pixel is so drat slippery I have to support it with my pinky phone unless I want to give it the Death Grip

Just give me a 2015 sized (4.7"?) plastic phone with a Pixel quality camera with a vertical task switcher. I would probably pay more for a plastic Pixel so I don't need to worry about keeping it in it's case.

Other than camera quality the OG Moto X was the peak of phone design IMO. Just slap a newer CPU and 4GB ram, thanks.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Hmm. This puts my plans for a new phone for my mom in May/June into disarray. She has a Pixel 2 with bad screen burn and a shot battery. I'll either get her a Pixel 4a, a discounted 7T, or now train her on iOS with an SE2.

Or the most sensible option I guess is the new Moto G Power

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember when I dated this apple hipster (whole family used the poo poo long before the ipod or even iphone generation) and she actually shared a thing once remarking how advanced and cutting edge apple was for dropping optical drives in their computers before anyone else. I've always said that a successful company has to manufacture one of two things; a quality product(s) or demand for their product. Jobs eventually figured out the latter (and only the latter) in focusing on influencing public opinion and creating this insane notion that iphones and macs are these premium, superior devices. Doesn't matter that there is literally always an equivalent or better alternative for less. Most any commonly regurgitated buying point for apple products you will hear are based entirely on false advertising and misinformation.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FistEnergy posted:

It's a great device, I'm just saying if they had modernized the screen ratio it would look like a total winner

At that point it would become pretty hard to justify the premium for the regular iPhone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Oops, drat that was a long time ago. I'm really surprised they're bringing the SE back at all then. I'd buy an android phone that size in a heartbeat.

I mean, it's an updated iPhone 8, nothing about it except the name is related to the original iPhone SE.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sleepwalkers posted:

yes, correct. to reiterate: every phone apple's released since the 7 has lacked a headphone jack. if you're ever expecting apple to release a phone with one again, i don't know what to tell you. whether you're ready to let it go or not, it's gone and fighting it makes absolutely no sense.

Yeah but by that logic why is the home button back then

Anyway yeah the headphone jack is gone on iPhones but a big reason I'll be buying the 4a is because it has it. It's not totally dead yet, thankfully

I admit I'm a bit of a grognard though. I'm still bitter phones don't have SD card slots any more :)

codo27 posted:

I remember when I dated this apple hipster (whole family used the poo poo long before the ipod or even iphone generation) and she actually shared a thing once remarking how advanced and cutting edge apple was for dropping optical drives in their computers before anyone else. I've always said that a successful company has to manufacture one of two things; a quality product(s) or demand for their product. Jobs eventually figured out the latter (and only the latter) in focusing on influencing public opinion and creating this insane notion that iphones and macs are these premium, superior devices. Doesn't matter that there is literally always an equivalent or better alternative for less. Most any commonly regurgitated buying point for apple products you will hear are based entirely on false advertising and misinformation.

Yeah just look at the keyboards in their laptops for the last 5 years. That poo poo would be unacceptable in a $400 Walmart laptop brand.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 15, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good text-to-speech app or tool to make your Android phone read arbitrary documents to you through your headphones? I have a bunch of typed-up university notes that I'd like to listen to on the go, but I don't want to have to dictate them all myself. It's already formatted to be TTS-friendly, so I just need a convenient way to make it go.

Tasker had some component for TTS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

because the new SE is just an updated iphone 8, which is exactly what was expected. they didn’t bring anything “back” really, they updated an existing phone with an existing design that hasn’t changed.
apple has ditched the headphone jack across every single phone and has for four years. they’ve continued to sell the iphone 8 with a home button ever since it was introduced and will continue to sell a new variant of that, complete with home button. they will never introduce a “flagship” phone with a home button again (barring some absolutely bonkers tech or something, i guess).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the best way on Android to create a multi page PDF from photos? For taking photos of kids school work and combining into a PDF to send to the teacher?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Haven't used it, but something like this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.officelens

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've scanned documents into multipage PDFs with Google Drive. It works well enough for most things, assuming you have good light and good contrast between the page and the background surface.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Removed

vyst fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 16, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wasn't there a malware issue with CamScanner in the past?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

This is perfect thanks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

anakha posted:

Wasn't there a malware issue with CamScanner in the past?

Holy poo poo you're right. Thanks for this info. Edited my post

Given Microsoft has one for free that's probably a safer bet

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

lostleaf posted:

Is your G8 on android 9 or 10?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.androidcentral.com/iphone-se-2020-just-killed-pixel-4a-and-other-value-flagships

What a bizzaro world where AC recommends an iphone

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

To be fair, AC has had a bizarre hate boner for the Pixel phones for a while now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Branch Nvidian posted:

To be fair, AC has had a bizarre hate boner for the Pixel phones for a while now.

probably because they weren't marketed to grognards like the nexuses

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Maybe they got burned by the various hardware defects on the 1 and 2?

A ton of phone purchases are “for ~$300-400 what phone will last longest”, and Apple appears to have a clear winner. I’ve made it 3 years on a Moto G5+ but it hasn’t been pleasant.

I was leaning towards waiting for a pixel 4a, but am definitely reconsidering now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Haha yep!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In case there was any doubt, I did preorder the OP8P yesterday after some other reviews seemed more positive on the cameras and the fact that OP was tossing in their 30w wireless charger if you preordered yesterday.

I mean, gently caress it. Not doing anything else right now, might as well play with another new phone.

Real talk though, the OP7P was one of my favorite phones in the past year and the OP8P seems to address most of the things I didn't like about it (like wireless charging, lack of google feed on launcher though that's just software and likely to get backported, better cameras.) I just wish they would have toned down glass curve. Other than that though, the screen seems to be on another level based on the reviews, even better than anything Samsung has put in their devices.

I enjoy using the S20 Ultra for the most part, the the camera system is just going to be frustrating to use if I ever make it out of this house. For example, I had trouble getting it to work with messages for web because the sliver of focus that allowed the phone to be far enough away from the screen while having the QR code large enough was exceedingly small.

The Pixel 4 XL is going to get a whack in the near term since masks are going to be required when going out indefinitely which sort of kills the face unlock.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

In case there was any doubt, I did preorder the OP8P yesterday after some other reviews seemed more positive on the cameras and the fact that OP was tossing in their 30w wireless charger if you preordered yesterday.

I mean, gently caress it. Not doing anything else right now, might as well play with another new phone.

Real talk though, the OP7P was one of my favorite phones in the past year and the OP8P seems to address most of the things I didn't like about it (like wireless charging, lack of google feed on launcher though that's just software and likely to get backported, better cameras.) I just wish they would have toned down glass curve. Other than that though, the screen seems to be on another level based on the reviews, even better than anything Samsung has put in their devices.

I enjoy using the S20 Ultra for the most part, the the camera system is just going to be frustrating to use if I ever make it out of this house. For example, I had trouble getting it to work with messages for web because the sliver of focus that allowed the phone to be far enough away from the screen while having the QR code large enough was exceedingly small.

The Pixel 4 XL is going to get a whack in the near term since masks are going to be required when going out indefinitely which sort of kills the face unlock.

Masks are not going to be required here so face unlock still works just fine for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Masks are not going to be required here so face unlock still works just fine for me :)

Pennsylvania just issued an order yesterday requiring businesses to bar anyone not wearing a mask after April 19th and requiring all employees to wear one. I expect that order to be in place long after the stay at home order is lifted. So when I finally do venture back out to the store, it's going to be a PITA to use a pin every time I want to access my phone.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if airlines started requiring them once people start flying again this fall.