Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Great advice all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Buying Londor Tome spells from Irina will lead to the "bad" ending for her quest though, fyi. (Not that the "good" ending is any better.)

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
It's probably been said a thousand times in this thread, but man the Ringed City bosses just take too long to kill.

The bosses are not even that hard (at least coming back to DS3 from Sekiro), I died only 3-5 times on each boss. It's just that their high defense, high HP, and long combos mean each boss took ~10 minutes to kill on a successful run. I think they could either drop the defenses or cut HP by 1/4, and the fights would be much better for it.

Still though, it's amazing how my view of these bosses has changed coming back to the game. When the DLC first came out I considered all of the fights bullshit impossible to solo, and now I just find them mildly annoying.

PS: Ringed Knights still suck though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Sekiro's final boss the hardest From Software has ever made?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In my opinion yes. Soul of Cinder is probably the hardest dark souls final boss and it's not as hard as Isshin. Maybe gehrman+moon presence is close, but there's less complexity due to Sekiro's perilous attacks and their counters.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 13, 2020

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

punk rebel ecks posted:

He took the longest to overcome the first time, but after that I feel like I got acclimated to him faster on subsequent playthroughs to the point that I can just about sleepwalk through Genichiro and his first healthbar.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

punk rebel ecks posted:

Soul of cinder is more unpredictable (in the first phase) and can’t be parried - but if you have good and specific enough gear and spells he can be trivialised or spammed. On a first casual play through he can be brutal. I was +70 deaths on him before I decided to go after other bosses I missed, levelled up and went ham on him with a dark infused +10 twinblades. Still took a few more times.

Asshin can’t really be trivialised unless you cheese him with one specific prosthetic. You need to be mechanically perfect otherwise, and he has a fairly broad moveset too. And he has four phases. I still haven’t beaten him without said prosthetic tactic but I’ve got close at least :/

Gehrman can be very easily parried into oblivion which is bad design really as you’re encouraged to do so throughout the game, so it almost teaches you to cheese him. It’s a shame because (imho) it just beats Asshin for best boss fight. Very few people have any real difficulty with MP after him - it’s orders of magnitude easier than most soulsborne bosses.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Good posts all around but I was referring to any boss in Soulsbourne period, DLC included not just the base games.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 13, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Orphan of Kos is up there, and the cursed defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords and Amygdala are brutal because you have so little room for loving up. In DS3 the Nameless King, Sister Friede, and Slave Knight Gael all give you a good run for your money, too. But Sword Saint Isshin is longest endurance trial, and also demands mastery of mikiri/jump counters to make any real headway on him. The big shifts in his fighting style between deathblows also takes time to acclimate to that's not as apparent in the other bosses besides maybe Freide.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
IMO, Isshin Ashina is easier than Sword Saint Isshin. That loving fire column!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Orphan of Kos really that much harder than say Fume Knight? I never played The Old Hunters.

Three Sentinels are the hardest bosses I've between in Souls due to me sucking at fighting multiple bosses at once.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fume knight is loving nothing compared to orphan of kos, and i can say that for a fact having literally experienced fume knight the other day

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Midir, Gael, Manus and Orphan of Kos are all worse for me, I think since Souls and Bloodborne bosses can just go "gently caress YOU DEAD" in ways that Sekiro never does. Something about Sekiro really clicked for me though and I find I tune into it in a way I dont the other From games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

fume knight is loving nothing compared to orphan of kos, and i can say that for a fact having literally experienced fume knight the other day

Are there any bosses comparable to Orphan?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Nuns with Guns posted:

cursed defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords and Amygdala

Man, I had blocked out the memory of those bosses. They are the worst part of the chalice dungeons, by far. So many of their attacks one shot you that you basically have to do a perfect run of those bosses.

My hardest bosses:
DS1: Manus probably. I can't beat him without getting some poise on my character to tank a hit or two.
DS2: Shulva Gank Squad. I honestly don't find most DS2 bosses very difficult, but these guys just suck to fight. Double Ice Cats get a special mention for most miserable boss run in the series.
DS3: Friede. The DLC bosses have an issue of just taking forever.
BB: Defiled Hotdog Orphan probably. I've played Bloodborne too many times, so I don't really find any of the bosses that hard anymore.
Sekiro: Isshin, easy. Ive beaten this game in NG+3, and I still feel like I'm panicking when I get him to his final form.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BadMedic posted:

DS2: Shulva Gank Squad. I honestly don't find most DS2 bosses very difficult, but these guys just suck to fight.
Always Be Kiting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Orphan of Kos really that much harder than say Fume Knight? I never played The Old Hunters.

Three Sentinels are the hardest bosses I've between in Souls due to me sucking at fighting multiple bosses at once.

Different kind of difficulty. fighting a boss as fast, strong, and aggro as Orphan in DS2 would be a nightmare, but Bloodborne lets you move super fast yourself and counter him with parries to the point where he’s merely intense instead. For my money the hardest bosses in Bloodborne are the ones you can’t parry like Loran Darkbeast or headless Bloodletting Beast. Fume Knight is just a tightly paced and punishing boss in a game that suits that kind of approach, if you could constantly dodge around and parry almost everything he does like you can Orphan, he’d be a push over.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Orphan and Sword Saint Isshin are without a doubt the hardest bosses they've made. Both took me over 3 hours to beat, but they both are so fun that it was totally worth it when I finally pwned them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any bosses comparable to Orphan?

i don't have a encyclopedic memory of all the soulsborne bosses i've fought in general but orphan makes me think of artorias but with cocaine for blood. i'm sure it might be easy for some people like how any boss will just magically click with certain individuals and not be a challenge, but it is absolutely a real fucker of a boss.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

You guys are making me want to replay Bloodborne to try the DLC now.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

punk rebel ecks posted:

You guys are making me want to replay Bloodborne to try the DLC now.

Do it. There’s unsightly beasts

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the bloodborne dlc is really, incredibly good and adds a bunch of neat weapons on top of everything else

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't have a encyclopedic memory of all the soulsborne bosses i've fought in general but orphan makes me think of artorias but with cocaine for blood. i'm sure it might be easy for some people like how any boss will just magically click with certain individuals and not be a challenge, but it is absolutely a real fucker of a boss.

Orphan is one of those hard bosses where it still feels fair because all he does is punish my bad habits I can't help but lapse into like dodging back and behind a boss, which of course is right into one of the backswings with his placenta. Nameless King is the same way. And what's most infuriating is there still a subtle timing window where you can get a swipe in and dodge back if you're not being too greedy and it's so tempting every time.

And yeah the Bloodborne DLC is worth it for the extra weapons alone, half of which you can get right after Vicar Amelia if you're brave/dumb enough to suicide run for them. Playing through most of the game with the whirligig saw or beast cutter feels so good.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So this is probably a dumb question, but having never played Bloodborne what's the deal with Orphan of Kos? Videos of his fight look like a typical fast souls boss- run, dodge, punish or wait for holes in his combos. But everyone I know who's finished it holds him up as the hardest and most BS-laden souls boss they've ever seen. Is it just that he's build like a lot of Sekiro bosses, where his animations punish the habits and muscle memory that you build for the rest of the enemies?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He likes to jump around and the placenta is a really weird weapon with lots of very non standard moves and combos

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
People don't upload videos of the 50 tries where he clowned them until they stopped doing all the things that cause him to use the really nasty attacks

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I recently replayed DS2, DS3, Bloodborne and Sekiro and the only bosses I didn't one-shot were:

Fume Knight: 3 attempts
King's Pet Ava: 2 attempts
Ivory King: 2 attempts
Nameless King: 2 attempts
Darkeater Midir: 3 attempts
Slave Knight Gael: 3 attempts
Martyr Logarius: 2 attempts
Ludwig, the Holy Blade: 17 attempts
(skipped the chalices because they're boring and defiled sucks)
Owl, Father: 4 attempts
Isshin, the Sword Saint: 3 attempts

I was pretty surprised that I one-shot Orphan but I have always found Ludwig more difficult. It's entirely the first phase of the fight, his character is basically just a pile of flailing limbs so it's really hard for me to parse what he's actually going to do at any given moment. I found Bloodborne to be the most difficult game in general, it's faster than Souls and in Sekiro you have an easily available perfect defense in just about every situation with deflecting regular attacks and countering perilous attacks. I've still never been able to beat the gank squad in Yahar'gul.

BadMedic posted:

It's probably been said a thousand times in this thread, but man the Ringed City bosses just take too long to kill.

The bosses are not even that hard (at least coming back to DS3 from Sekiro), I died only 3-5 times on each boss. It's just that their high defense, high HP, and long combos mean each boss took ~10 minutes to kill on a successful run. I think they could either drop the defenses or cut HP by 1/4, and the fights would be much better for it.

Still though, it's amazing how my view of these bosses has changed coming back to the game. When the DLC first came out I considered all of the fights bullshit impossible to solo, and now I just find them mildly annoying.

PS: Ringed Knights still suck though.

The twin demons have a completely insane amount of HP if you take both phantoms to the fight. Even when they're totally distracted by NPCs you just sit there attacking as fast as possible and watching their hp bar crawl across the screen. It's like DPSing in an MMO raid.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Idk, Orphan of Kos has been relatively easy compared to Laurence, Gael, or Midir, and several other boss fights I had trouble with, but I also just find Bloodborne way easier than DS3 for whatever reason. Like, I definitely had to fight him a good number of times during my first playthrough, but in subsequent playthroughs I’ve beat him in one go. I have another video of me beating him on my first try but I’m talking to my friend over PSN so it’s embarrassing, and then I just did one earlier today that for some reason didn’t start recording when it said it was, and got the last 10 seconds of me standing there after I’d won. These are super sloppy, but I literally hadn’t fought him or played Bloodborne in months both times

https://youtu.be/Gxqi2-CQ8AE

https://youtu.be/mw9NH9l0Hok I actually die here and he’s got a few HP left, and as you can tell by the way I throw two molotovs at the beginning and then one at the camera at the end of the fight, I hadn’t played Bloodborne in forever and went straight to OoK and it’s sloppy, but just as sloppy as the other one.

https://youtu.be/LkFrrZooB08 But I got him the next attempt

I will gladly upload a ton of videos of my trying to beat whatever Dark Souls boss, like, the last one I remember struggling against was the Lothric Twins, and I probably died like 50 times, I just don’t understand what I’m doing wrong in DS3.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I would say that Dark Souls 2 has the most difficult areas but the easiest bosses.

Dark Souls 3 has the hardest bosses but the easiest areas.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you've been paying attention to your fundamentals throughout the game I don't think SSI is that hard. Fume Knight and OoK both took multiple days worth of sessions for me to get through but Isshin I think I got in 8 tries? He doesn't have a ton of HP and he was far more opportunities to use special counters against that Demon of Hatred or Owldad, who I maintain are the real motherfuckers of Sekiro.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Imhotep posted:

Idk, Orphan of Kos has been relatively easy compared to Laurence, Gael, or Midir, and several other boss fights I had trouble with, but I also just find Bloodborne way easier than DS3 for whatever reason. Like, I definitely had to fight him a good number of times during my first playthrough, but in subsequent playthroughs I’ve beat him in one go. I have another video of me beating him on my first try but I’m talking to my friend over PSN so it’s embarrassing, and then I just did one earlier today that for some reason didn’t start recording when it said it was, and got the last 10 seconds of me standing there after I’d won. These are super sloppy, but I literally hadn’t fought him or played Bloodborne in months both times

https://youtu.be/Gxqi2-CQ8AE

https://youtu.be/mw9NH9l0Hok I actually die here and he’s got a few HP left, and as you can tell by the way I throw two molotovs at the beginning and then one at the camera at the end of the fight, I hadn’t played Bloodborne in forever and went straight to OoK and it’s sloppy, but just as sloppy as the other one.

https://youtu.be/LkFrrZooB08 But I got him the next attempt

I will gladly upload a ton of videos of my trying to beat whatever Dark Souls boss, like, the last one I remember struggling against was the Lothric Twins, and I probably died like 50 times, I just don’t understand what I’m doing wrong in DS3.

The saw spear (and the saw cleaver too) make so many Bloodborne fights a breeze, and I think it reveals a bias Bloodborne and DS3 in general have to the faster/whippier weapons, particularly in late game zones and bosses, while a lot of the regular playerbase love the flash of the bigger greatsword and ultra greatsword weapons that do not deal well with aggressive bosses that have very small openings.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

The saw spear (and the saw cleaver too) make so many Bloodborne fights a breeze, and I think it reveals a bias Bloodborne and DS3 in general have to the faster/whippier weapons, particularly in late game zones and bosses, while a lot of the regular playerbase love the flash of the bigger greatsword and ultra greatsword weapons that do not deal well with aggressive bosses that have very small openings.

I remember hearing and seeing that a Greatsword trivializes Orphan of Kos.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember hearing and seeing that a Greatsword trivializes Orphan of Kos.

Ludwig's Holy Blade has a really good charge attack for causing the Orphan to stagger but it can take some practice to get the timing down pat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In Bloodborne at least you can make greatweapons work through rallies off of big hit exchanges, not a tactic I'd have tried in DS3 though and not sure if there'd be a similar solution to conceeding damage.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can stagger and subsequently open them to viscerals bosses in DS3 with big, heavy weapons surprisingly quickly. Like, 2-3 hits quickly. Those hits still need to be earned, of course, but you can cheat a little with hyperarmor if you know that this hit will stagger, then you can visceral and heal while they're on their butt. I had an unexpectedly great time against Nameless King with Ledo's Hammer last time I did him, iirc. However, in the same time you could also just unleash a flurry of Twinblade hits and also get a stagger, this just requires a different skillset re: picking your opportunities.

Generally though, I can only repeat myself from this or other Soulsborne threads, there is no objective difficulty to any boss in any game. Everyone has a problem boss nobody else seems to struggle with, while lucking into an easy win either directly (boss never uses his hardest attack/just keep hanging on with like 1 HP), through a weapon property (perfect chain-stagger/boss is surprisingly easy to dodge when you're close/etc.), or because the skillset the boss demands is just exactly yours. I for example am pretty good at figuring out what the game wants me to do to dodge which attack, and my reflexes are fine, but I am absurdly bad at consistency. If the boss demands "press the button with the same timing" ten times in a row, I'm going to have a HELL of a time (yes I suck at Sekiro specifically). But seeing the subtle difference between a charge attack and one that will allow me to punish because he's gonna vomit lava for Hotdog? No problemo. In fact, I already know how many hits I need to break his front leg, then his back leg, and that he'll make an AOE I have to back off for in between, and...

So for me, Orphan is not THE hardest boss in BB because I'm fine at twitch-parrying and know which attacks to just stay the gently caress away from (not saying he's trivial, see above re: consistency, but I'm not super afraid or anything). Lawrence however, hoo boy. I just cannot deal with how punishing his attacks are and how little they seem to make sense to me and how patient I have to be.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Just beat the Lothric Twins. Man they really weren't as hard as I remember. I gave up last time and summoned a player. Disappointing that once you kill the Young Prince both of them die. I could have gone for another round.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ludwig's Holy Blade has a really good charge attack for causing the Orphan to stagger but it can take some practice to get the timing down pat.

That's all I used on the first character that fought him. Just poking over and over with the untransformed R2

Edit: actually it was the Holy Moonlight Sword. What a weapon.... beautiful

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm lost in the Ashes DLC. I just beat the Greatwolf boss and don't know where to go next. I've met the two sisters already. One in the upstairs and another one in a cabin in a nearby town.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm lost in the Ashes DLC. I just beat the Greatwolf boss and don't know where to go next. I've met the two sisters already. One in the upstairs and another one in a cabin in a nearby town.

Keep going past the second sister. You gotta go through some mountains behind her house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Keep going past the second sister. You gotta go through some mountains behind her house.

I did and it took me to this fly palace but it just leads back to the main sister's residence. I did find a hidden path to to the arena where I fight the invader.