Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Flopsy posted:

I'm here for him being bi as fuuuck. But I'll be honest almost all my fav parings in this game are gay. Also not with Sephiroth because he's gently caress awful.

I expect literally nothing. But I'd be thrilled if some side characters hooked up.

If they decide to adhere to the original allowing you to essentially choose your own date, it'd be nice if they included options that aren't Tifa/Aerith for Cloud, to be sure, but beyond Roche or Reno the character who I'd like to see just be an impossibly badass gay dude is Rufus. Rufus loving owns and I'd be super cool with him having a fraught relationship with, like, Tseng or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

If they decide to adhere to the original allowing you to essentially choose your own date, it'd be nice if they included options that aren't Tifa/Aerith for Cloud, to be sure, but beyond Roche or Reno the character who I'd like to see just be an impossibly badass gay dude is Rufus. Rufus loving owns and I'd be super cool with him having a fraught relationship with, like, Tseng or something.

Oh poo poo yeah man. Rufus brought all his badass bitch vibes in with him. But if I could literally only have ONE thing in this game just one it's Reno x Rude. Even if that's the ONLY bone I'm thrown I'd be cool with literally everything else even if it went into Kingdom hearts death spiral.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 16, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Jesse's glove on the dresser at the end imply she survived too? Because I'm pretty sure Biggs also keeled over but he's fine and good at the end there and his dirty-rear end bandana was on the dresser too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

my name is eclair, tifa, like the dessert

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Rude and Rufus saved Jesse and they are in a poly-amorous relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MoaM posted:

Rude and Rufus saved Jesse and they are in a poly-amorous relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

They should've snuck that clip into the ending for the game. Like just before we head to credits.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The man in black fled across the world map, and the ex-SOLDIER followed.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I really appreciate that the writing team made a scenario where some kind of robotic Grim Reaper has been murdering children and feeding on their misery and even unto the point where it is vanquished and they pass onto to the hereafter my attitude the entire time is gently caress off all you little shits, I do not have time for this.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The train graveyard sequence unfortunately sits right at a juncture where you're really wanting to push ahead and see the major plot beat / spectacle that's coming, but I think they did a pretty good job of punching it up and making it feel more consequential than the original. The music was really nice, kinda had Resident Evil save room vibes. I think the train design was a nod to the FFVI ghost train too, right? It's been a while but some of the details looked familiar.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Caidin posted:

I really appreciate that the writing team made a scenario where some kind of robotic Grim Reaper has been murdering children and feeding on their misery and even unto the point where it is vanquished and they pass onto to the hereafter my attitude the entire time is gently caress off all you little shits, I do not have time for this.

"screw you kids, I have to save my sorta-maybe 3rd girlfriend!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Dialogue things I've enjoyed/noticed during NG+:

Barret railing on about how insidious Paw Patrol is as copaganda, Barret singing a song about adventure and finding treasure that sounds pretty much like DMX's "singing," and Aerith saying "you mad?" gently caress this game is good.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Did Jesse's glove on the dresser at the end imply she survived too? Because I'm pretty sure Biggs also keeled over but he's fine and good at the end there and his dirty-rear end bandana was on the dresser too.

We do not know the status of Wedge or Jessie at the end of the game.

It's possible, especially with so many other characters surviving.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

Have Nomura and Co. ever said how many games they expect this to be/how frequently they want releases? It took 5 years from announcement to release. It shouldn’t take that long for the next episode since the core systems are in place but I can’t see them doing another release in less than 2-4 years. Which, with the pace this game is going, feels insane.

They will either need to put these out faster or seriously abridge the rest of the story or we’ll be playing FF7R Pt 7 in 2041.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc, the games devcycle only seemed so long because A they announced it way early because someone was going to leak it and they didn’t want the surprise ruined, and B they initially had it subcontracted but decided partway through to bring it entirely in-house. So the actual devtime was closer to an industry-standard three years, not six, and I imagine they now they have a combat engine and assets they can move faster.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I would say 2024, 2025 we will be getting the end of this cycle with a part 3. Best guess.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I ventured over to Reddit to see what nerds were saying about the ending and trajectory of sequels and they are absolutely eating each other alive because some people watched the cutscenes that are all about being at a crossroads and trying to change fate and decided, "right, they said you can't change fate. that's why now that they defeated the whispers, the rest of the series will be 1:1 with the original game"

it's breathtaking

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Willias posted:

We do not know the status of Wedge or Jessie at the end of the game.

It's possible, especially with so many other characters surviving.
Wedge I think is actually dead. When, near the ending, he gets caught up by the Whispers and something (??) happens to him, and he gives a death-flag riddled "tell me I was helpful" pull quote, my interpretation is that we're gonna find his corpse. Jessie may or may not be dead, but I'm leaning toward dead - a love pyramid? rectangle? seems a bit much with the game established as it is, assuming the chad Zack doesn't swoop in to romance Aerith (which I actually doubt will happen).

Which brings me to the point: I think Biggs will end up being a Dyne-like figure in the new timeline/path. Jessie and Wedge being dead, and the gang probably leaving Midgar without finding out about his survival maybe? will push him onto a path of extremism and violent revolution, forcing the party to reckon with the human consequences of some of their actions and demonstrating that changing fate and defying Destiny can also have pretty negative effects instead of purely sunshine happy moments.

Have the sequel start with a lot of renewed energy and hope, then pull no punches in showing us that screwing fate also created a lot of problems or made things significantly worse - that's a pretty effective way to instill dread in the player or create tension in the narrative.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I ventured over to Reddit to see what nerds were saying about the ending and trajectory of sequels and they are absolutely eating each other alive because some people watched the cutscenes that are all about being at a crossroads and trying to change fate and decided, "right, they said you can't change fate. that's why now that they defeated the whispers, the rest of the series will be 1:1 with the original game"

it's breathtaking
A lot of what I've posted about is interpreting what I believe to be subtext or trying to apply a critical reading to the game, for sure, and I hate to be a guy who would say "your opinion is wrong," but the game itself explicitly states that the unknown journey will continue in the sequel aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 16, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I also imagine that since we’re at the tail end of a console generation and they’re using a third party engine anyway they probably did at least some future proofing of the assets they already have, someone probably realized it would be easier to just bulld the 8k cloud model now and downsample it for current hardware so they don’t get caught with their pants down in 4 years or whatever.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

The initial effort got rebooted when they kicked cyberconnect off the remake and took it internal mid 2017. The rumor is they started again from scratch at that point. We don't really know how long it's going to take for future games but a release every 2 years is my guess. They also started production on part two fall of last year.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I also imagine that since we’re at the tail end of a console generation and they’re using a third party engine anyway they probably did at least some future proofing of the assets they already have, someone probably realized it would be easier to just bulld the 8k cloud model now and downsample it for current hardware so they don’t get caught with their pants down in 4 years or whatever.

I don't think next gen is going to be all that big of an asset quality bump. Graphical improvements next gen are going to be more focused on the crazy stuff you'll be able to do with ray tracing and lighting and being able to stream data from ssds.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 16, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

Wedge I think is actually dead. When, near the ending, he gets caught up by the Whispers and something (??) happens to him, and he gives a death-flag riddled "tell me I was helpful" pull quote, my interpretation is that we're gonna find his corpse. Jessie may or may not be dead, but I'm leaning toward dead - a love pyramid? rectangle? seems a bit much with the game established as it is, assuming the chad Zack doesn't swoop in to romance Aerith (which I actually doubt will happen).

Which brings me to the point: I think Biggs will end up being a Dyne-like figure in the new timeline/path. Jessie and Wedge being dead, and the gang probably leaving Midgar without finding out about his survival maybe? will push him onto a path of extremism and violent revolution, forcing the party to reckon with the human consequences of some of their actions and demonstrating that changing fate and defying Destiny can also have pretty negative effects instead of purely sunshine happy moments.

Have the sequel start with a lot of renewed energy and hope, then pull no punches in showing us that screwing fate also created a lot of problems or made things significantly worse - that's a pretty effective way to instill dread in the player or create tension in the narrative.

or Zack can hang out with him and Roche. just my 2 cents

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This has nothing to do with this game in particular, but for some reason I never really considered the parallels between Aerith and her mother, both waiting at home for a lover who went off to die on the other side of the world.

Except Aerith would've realized that Zack died like a week ago?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

grieving for Gandalf posted:

or Zack can hang out with him and Roche. just my 2 cents

Sure, gently caress it. I mean I'd like to see Biggs stay chill because he's one of my favorite characters in the remake. And Zack is a fuckin riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a mystery at this point.

Roche went back to his home planet I hope but he's too Nomura to gently caress off so he'll be back

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Another thing to keep in mind with FF7's development time is that Nomura was also the lead developer on KH3 and that was taking up the majority of his dev time. It's not a coincidence that once KH3 came out, we suddenly got WAY MORE FF7 info.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I do wonder how they're gonna split up the remaining chunks. Assuming the defying destiny stuff doesn't send the party on an entirely new course, that is. Will FF7r Part 2 end when they depart from Junon? Or on the approach to the Golden Saucer? It can't be all the Nibelheim flashback.

I know the sewers, train graveyard and Hojo's lab are the low points of this game, but I kinda liked the sewers. Or, more accurately, I liked that the sewers was almost entirely dedicated to Tifa and Aerith bonding. All the inter-character stuff was great, and I was happy to trudge through sewage and ninja turtles to get more of that. Train graveyard definitely kills momentum and has a really annoying pair of bosses.

Hojo's lab was...bad. But I did like getting a few more bits of Hojo chewing the scenery. For all the work they put into making the characters feel more three-dimensional and real, Hojo should always be an absurd lunatic. I loved the reaction of the other Shinra suits when he starts talking about breeding in the board meeting. Even President Shinra was like "Okay, let's all go to different parts of the building away from Hojo now."

If they cut Hojo's beach vacation when we finally get to Costa del Sol in 2040, I might have to retroactively side with the time ghosts.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

This has nothing to do with this game in particular, but for some reason I never really considered the parallels between Aerith and her mother, both waiting at home for a lover who went off to die on the other side of the world.

yeah actually, I dunno, I guess she knows he died and that's why she uses Cloud as a surrogate. you'd think she'd recognize the big sword though huh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sewers part 2 were way worse and more time wasting than sewers part 1.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Clarste posted:

Yeah, the fact that you have to go there TWICE is the really lovely element there.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Clarste posted:

Leslie had me really confused for the longest time because I saw a moody pretty boy with white hair and was like "Wait, who were those goobers from Advent Children again? Is this guy a reference?"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Clarste posted:

Also they were together for nine seconds when she was 17 and then the next 5 years of her life happened so, you know, not exactly a love affair for the ages.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Crowetron posted:

Leslie had me really confused for the longest time because I saw a moody pretty boy with white hair and was like "Wait, who were those goobers from Advent Children again? Is this guy a reference?"

I thought he was just going to be a throw away joke character after he told Cloud that the house of Corneo was no place for pretty boys.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mulva posted:

Also they were together for nine seconds when she was 17 and then the next 5 years of her life happened so, you know, not exactly a love affair for the ages.

Hey, he made a cart for her that she doesn't use anymore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
To put this game in perspective, I went and looked at an old walkthrough for OG FF7 to remember all the major spots -

pre:
2. I - Full Walkthrough (Disc 1).......................................(FwAAA)
        i - Reactor No. 1..............................................(Fw001)
        ii - Sector 7 Slums............................................(Fw002)
        iii - Reactor No. 5............................................(Fw003)
        iv - Sector 5 Slums............................................(Fw004)
        v - Wall Market................................................(Fw005)
        vi - Train Graveyard...........................................(Fw006)
        vii - Sector 7 Pillar..........................................(Fw007)
        viii - Sector 5/6 Slums........................................(Fw008)
        viii - Shinra Building.........................................(Fw00?)
        ix - Kalm......................................................(Fw009)
        x - Chocobo Farm...............................................(Fw00A)
        xi - Mythril Mine..............................................(Fw00B)
        xii - Junon....................................................(Fw00C)
        xiii - Cargo Ship..............................................(Fw00D)
        xiv - Costa del Sol............................................(Fw00E)
        xv - Mt. Corel.................................................(Fw00F)
        xvi - North Corel..............................................(Fw010)
        xvii - Gold Saucer.............................................(Fw011)
        xviii - Corel Prison...........................................(Fw012)
        xix - Gongaga..................................................(Fw013)
        xx - Cosmo Canyon .............................................(Fw014)
        xxi - Cave of the Gi...........................................(Fw015)
        xxii - Nibelheim...............................................(Fw016)
        xxiii - Shinra Mansion.........................................(Fw017)
        xxiv - Mt. Nibel...............................................(Fw018)
        xxv - Rocket Town..............................................(Fw019)
        xxvi - Gold Saucer.............................................(Fw01A)
        xxvii - Temple of the Ancients.................................(Fw01B)
        xxviii - Bone Village..........................................(Fw01C)
        xxix - Forgotten City / Corral Valley..........................(Fw01D)
II - Full Walkthrough (Disc 2).........................................(FwBBB)
        i - Icicle Inn.................................................(Fw01E)
        ii - Great Glacier.............................................(Fw01F)
        iii - Gaea's Cliff.............................................(Fw020)
        iv - Whirlwind Maze............................................(Fw021)
        v - Junon......................................................(Fw022)
        vi - Mideel....................................................(Fw023)
        vii - Mt. Corel................................................(Fw024)
        viii - Fort Condor.............................................(Fw025)
        ix - Mideel....................................................(Fw026)
        x - Underwater Reactor.........................................(Fw027)
        xi - Rocket Town...............................................(Fw028)
        xii - Cosmo Canyon.............................................(Fw029)
        xiii - Forgotten City..........................................(Fw02A)
        xiv - Midgar...................................................(Fw02B)
III - Full Walkthrough (Disc 3)........................................(FwCCC)
        i - Northern Cave..............................................(Fw02C)
This game goes through 9/45 sections. Exactly 20%. Unless things completely go off the rails and large swaths of the game removed/changed, that would put this as a 5 game series.

I wonder how much will get changed in the future because everyone seems confident that this is only going to be a trilogy. If so, the next two games are going to have to cut a lot or be far more expansive. I really do wonder how they'll do it.

Though it should be noted, that even in this list, a handful of these stops are "return here to grab an item before moving on with the story." So maybe that puts us at 25% after this game?

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 16, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am pretty sure they won't be expanding on every location equally.

Like we don't need two extra dungeons between Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Iirc, Leslie and Kyrie (the thief girl from chapter 14) are the main characters of some light novel that takes place between 7 and Advent Children called The Kids Are Alright that most people have never heard of.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Just finished. God drat what a ride. I'm on board for all of it. Let's see what comes next.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Just beat it. Well, that was certainly an ending. So...Zack jumped the rails on his scheduled Crisis Core death, and we are presumably left with the fallout of where the hell he's been from the end of that game and this one, and how being Not Dead somehow did not interrupt Cloud getting to where he is right now in life. Or did it?

My head

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mulva posted:

Sounds like Cloud and Tifa when you put it like that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think they'll expand all the sections either. Like yeah, they had to pad out Midgar a lot because it's normally a 3 hour section. But they don't need to make the Chocobo Farms or Costa del Sol like 40 minute treks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I do hope they expand the Shinra Mansion to be a big spooky haunted house. Like the train graveyard but with a Resident Evil flair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This game would be like 500 hours long if they expanded everything to even a fraction of the degree this one did lol.

They are definitely gonna have to cut / smash some stuff together or ditch the overworld completely and just do FFX-style areas, which feels more in line with that this one was doing anyway. I don't think the game would lose anything by not letting you wander around an overworld anyway - it would just feel like rehashing FFXV and tbh the size of that world wore out its welcome for me after a while, especially the actual towns didn't really feel that fleshed out anyway.