Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

That's how political processes normally work though; groups or individuals that represent large numbers of people (like Streatham CLP or Len McCluskey) get steered to expressing extreme dissatisfaction, write letters with the weight of numbers behind them, and hopefully change happens.

Yeah but the most telling part about what Len says (and why he'd get listened to) is...

quote:

Since Unite was by far the largest single donor to the 2017 election campaign, giving around 75% of total union donations, we have the right to expect an honest accounting for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though I think that also represents a good reason to, as I suggested, try to organize campaigning and voting strikes. If your MP doesn't push for justice, threaten to put them out of a job by withdrawing your labour.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

The whole thing is going to be a stain on labour for years to come, which is the mistake the right wing of the party made in this, they thought they could play their silly game, oust Corbyn and the Jewish members would just come back, but honestly I don't see that happening.

...do you think they care or ever cared about that?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/hundreds-of-students-in-uk-sign-up-to-rent-strike

quote:

Hundreds of university students have signed up to a rent strike in protest at having to pay thousands of pounds for accommodation where they have become trapped as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Many have complained they are stuck on near-deserted campuses where facilities and services have closed. Others say they cannot afford to pay because they have lost jobs vital to fund their living costs during their studies.

Among those caught up in the lockdown are international students from countries across the globe, including China, Japan, Pakistan, India and the US, who are stranded thousands of miles away from their families.

Elsewhere, students living in privately owned accommodation are finding themselves tied into tenancy agreements costing thousands of pounds, even though many have travelled home to be with their families during the Covid-19 crisis.

Students at the University of Warwick have also started a rent strike. While the university has waived rent and cancelled contracts for students renting on campus, many of those renting off-campus from private landlords are still obliged to pay, though many of the rentals will have been arranged via the university’s property management agency. A Facebook group in support of the strike has gathered more than 650 members.

I feel a lot for international students at the moment as they're paying through the nose anyway and now they're locked down. Haven't been too that many campuses but the one in Lancaster must be getting a bit Ballardian.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Though I think that also represents a good reason to, as I suggested, try to organize campaigning and voting strikes. If your MP doesn't push for justice, threaten to put them out of a job by withdrawing your labour.

Lol my MP makes openly xenophobic comments, is now the shadow immigration minister, and my Starmer-nominating CLP treats her like she's the second coming.

And if she was put out of a job, then we get a Tory MP. Precisely the outcome that the people named in the report were so happy with in 2017.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The main problem is that there are plenty of valid criticisms of the way identity politics is practiced, from it being used to divide and conquer by the right (see: TERFs being funded by anti-LGBT American evangelical groups) and also as a figleaf by the liberal class (Raytheon-sponsored Pride floats, "You're a sexist if you support Bernie over Hillary", etc) - but the anti-idpol left seem content to completely cede the ground to those forces and (in extreme circumstances) to Well Actually oppressed groups.

It might just be rose-tinted glasses but it seems like 60s/70s radicals were much better at allying themselves with identity-based causes, but it does seem like there's a lot of people supposedly on the left who get really loving angry at the idea that Black Lives Matter aren't pushing for the JDPON.

This is just my opinion but to me it seems there's a fundamental problem with anti-idpol in general and it's that people have identities. It's fine for me, middle class straight white male to be all anti-idpol, I have literally no opposition to anything I want to do. The worst I have to put up with is someone calling em a jock. But for anyone who is oppressed by society, i.e anyone who isn't a middle class straight white male, those identity issues are going to be a LOT more of a pressing concern than any high minded ideals about how it wont matter once the revolution comes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Lol my MP makes openly xenophobic comments, is now the shadow immigration minister, and my Starmer-nominating CLP treats her like she's the second coming.

And if she was put out of a job, then we get a Tory MP. Precisely the outcome that the people named in the report were so happy with in 2017.

And that sucks for your CLP but there are others that may not be in the same situation. And the point of making it the MP's problem (they are not generally fond of losing their seats) is for them to transfer that misery onto the people you want to get rid of.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/davewardgs/status/1250527367098961921?s=21

CWU's on the warpath as well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What's the typical success rate for strike action in which people threaten to withdraw their labour five years later?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is the other thing, people are drawing battle lines up over this and I do not think it makes sense to just... opt out?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

I keep feeling there's some reason I'm not supposed to like Len and I can't remember why because I can only remember him being pretty right about a bunch of stuff, surprising for a union bigwig.

ISTR he had bad opinions about trans people?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

lmao at the extremely low quality picture she chose

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1250688224248377345?s=20

It was the only one you could download from the app clearly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isomermaid posted:

ISTR he had bad opinions about trans people?

Seems he signed a joint letter about the 'debate' on feminist issues that was pretty transparently written by transphbes https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jul/04/len-mccluskey-signs-letter-accusing-trans-rights-activists-of-intimidation

The article states that when called out on it he emphatically distanced himself from that part of it, but then one has to wonder why he waded in at all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If Abbott can see her way to staying a Labour member after all this then I reckon I can manage the same.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1250699913786204161

That's almost ten times the death rate of NHS staff.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

My housemate is a tube driver on the northern line, and he’s reporting something like 75% absentee rates- between sickness, quarantine and several deaths it seems like the whole thing is about to fall over. He’s been working seven day weeks recently.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mugsbaloney posted:

Nagle? Really?

lol, loving nagle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I literally only know her from like, one book about the alt right on the internet, the thesis of which was near immediately rendered wrong by reality afaik and that's it. I wasn't even aware she was a philosopher?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That's about the long and short of it. Published the book and immediately turned into a corncob, since then only seen in articles containing paragraphs like this

quote:

One of the talking points that didn't make it into the podcast was Carl Benjamin, aka popular YouTuber Sargon of Akkad, who stood as a candidate for Ukip in the recent European elections. Benjamin has made headlines in the past few months because of vile comments he made about Labour MP Jess Phillips, for which he is now being investigated by the police. The original offensive remark, which he has since doubled down on, was a tweet to Phillips saying “I wouldn't even rape you”, a comment that — much like the in-jokes that the Christchurch shooter's manifesto were scattered with — was specifically designed to play to the taboo-breaking, shock-tactic-taking, mainly young and male crowd that follows Benjamin, and spends much of its time on forums like 4chan and 8chan.

Nagle last year debated Benjamin at her old university, Trinity College Dublin, on whether classical liberalism is enough to rival the rise of identity politics. The whole debate, which is on YouTube, is well worth a watch, particularly because Benjamin, who calls himself a “left-leaning liberal”, doesn't actually seem particularly ideologically opposed to Nagle. He also comes across as polite, thoughtful, and intelligent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's a philosopher in the same way I am a stunning specimen of physical perfection.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Thomas Nagle is an actual good philosopher who wrote some interesting poo poo ("What is it like to be a bat?"), is that why people are getting confused?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's Nagel not Nagle!! :argh:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

That's Nagel not Nagle!! :argh:

gently caress's sake I confused myself as well. You're right, obviously. Anyway they're pronounced the same :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Neigel?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1250729921288310785

an anakin/the younglings moment

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ney-gel (hard G like in Ground), yeah.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

What is it like to be a bat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZK_NjBoJI

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

josh04 posted:

That's about the long and short of it. Published the book and immediately turned into a corncob, since then only seen in articles containing paragraphs like this
The beginning of that article seems more relevant tbh https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2019/06/28/1561722124000/Alphachat--Angela-Nagle-on-identity-politics-and-puritanical-internet-purges/

quote:

In the aftermath of the publication of Angela Nagle's 2017 book Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right, the Irish writer and academic found herself being the victim of some pretty vicious online attacks. But although her book had largely focused on the rise of the alt-right, describing how its taboo-breaking, transgressive troll-culture had managed to appeal to and draw in a whole new group of young people, it wasn't the Right who were doing the trolling.

It was largely the Left — a group with which she herself identified — who were attacking her. Apparently because she had dared to argue that it was the complacency, anti-intellectualism, extreme political correctness and virtue-signalling mentality of the dominant liberal culture that was largely to blame for the unstoppable rise of the online far-right, and for its ability to present itself as counterculture.

In many ways, the backlash against Nagle corroborated her argument that we live in a world in which identity politics reigns supreme, and in which speaking out against the status quo has become incredibly difficult. Indeed, since the book's publication, many of the rightwing figures who Nagle describes have been driven off the mainstream internet (and in many cases on to Telegram groups).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there's something wrong with me that I could guess what this was going to be before I clicked on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In reductionist biological terms that I'm sure Nagel would dispute, I wonder if that bat could tell us something about the evolution of post-micturition convulsion syndrome (piss shivers).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In which I simultaneously learn that piss shivers are a thing and apparently a thing that has a scientific term.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

josh04 posted:

Jesus loving christ I knew my drift away from Star Wars as a fandom was happening for a reason but I wasn't expecting it to be this one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

insofar as it (rather brutally) reduces her argument down to a thesis statement that is somewhere on the spectrum between spiked! and the alt-right, yeah.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

That's how political processes normally work though; groups or individuals that represent large numbers of people (like Streatham CLP or Len McCluskey) get steered to expressing extreme dissatisfaction, write letters with the weight of numbers behind them, and hopefully change happens.

The alternative is individual letter writing, which has the weight of whatever gsm paper you use and ends up in the bin, or hoping for some series of events that ends up with George Galloway parking tanks on Iain McNicol's lawn, .
Honestly it sounds like it would be easier and more productive to join the Conservatives and be a shitposting wrecker than to stay in Labour and try to be genuinely useful.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Another Angry Woman:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Honestly it sounds like it would be easier and more productive to join the Conservatives and be a shitposting wrecker than to stay in Labour and try to be genuinely useful.
The Tories deliberately structure their party so that all you can be is a (sometimes literal) corpse funneling cash to them though, with an occasional paid lunch where you get to meet Lord Twatt to talk about how the real problem with society is that we're not in the 1820s any more, but no way to influence policy unless you're a billionaire landlord.

At least Labour has groups like BAME Labour and LGBT Labour and JVL and the unions and so on that can throw a bit of weight at the process up top. (And now documented evidence of how poo poo the process up top was.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Another Angry Woman:

Our new Cassandra.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TACD posted:

Unite seems to be fairly on top of this, and they're pretty huge and influential within Labour. So are the CWU, who should be decent for getting the message out (ahem).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

josh04 posted:

I'm loving the impression that the comments by former staff is indefensible, with or without context, but the comments made by current staff is fine because of 'context'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

So, looks like I need to find a new union - any recommendations for a grab-bag union for someone who loving despises the ones specific to their industry?