Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Was it RA2 or TS that had the skirmish AI going nuts with garrisoning buildings? All I remember is the frustration of trying to level a city block full of walled in troops.
You can't garrison buildings in TS.

e: Sorry.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Good to know that [blank] is a recurring mechanic in future games I haven't played yet.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Seriously ya'll. Shut the gently caress up about future games.

I'm gonna start asking for probates.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Probably one of my favorite things about Red Alert 2 is how the music is just absofuckinglutely on point from the get-go - it's very easy to tell that Frank had almost a decade of constantly producing music for Westwood under his belt at that point.

Also, did you know that there's an edition of the game with this inside-cover:

(Source)

EDIT: Also, I was just reminded that the completely unpatched version of the game has an easter-egg regarding this, but I'm not sure if it's spoilers or not so I won't post it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 12, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I had that original box. I wish I still did but it got wrecked in a move.

Thefront box was censored as well, as Jobbo has mentioned.

The expansion box was also apparently similarly censored before release with only a few copies of the original sneaking out into the wild.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I had this rerelease:

From looking around it must have come out around 2006 and there's the original box art fully intact.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I actually couldn't get a copy of the game on my birthday like I wanted because they pulled the game from the shelves to re-issue it with the new box art. Had to wait a few weeks to get it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 04: Operation: Last Chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX6b0MjKrBA
Operation: Last Chance

With the Psychic Beacon destroyed and the President safe at an undisclosed location, top military brass for the US forces have relocated themselves to Canada to lessen the possibility of another subversion attempt by the Reds. To make matters worse, the Soviets have managed to force their way up to Illinois from Louisiana. Thankfully, Canada is on our side or else the United States of America would be split in two! They've also managed to take Virginia and Nevada. If we don't get our act together, and soon, we may not have the strength to repel them after all is said and done.

Chicago, the heart of industry in America! (Maybe)

Objective: Destroy the Psychic Amplifier before it can be activated!

Briefing: Soviet forces continue to rampage across America. Our agents have discovered a large Psychic Amplifier in Chicago. If activated, this device will allow the Soviets to mind control all of North America.

Author's note: Another introduction level, this time showing off naval units and general gameplay for this returning aspect of C&C combat.

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya. Was temporarily subverted by the Soviet Union due to mind control weapons.

Name: Lt. Eva
Aliases: None
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Amphibious Transport
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: None
COST: 900

The Allied Amphibious Transport is used to transport units from place to place. While not invisible to radar like the [REDACTED], the hovercraft is capable of carrying vehicles as well as infantry. It can cross both land and water, allowing for amphibious assaults of enemy positions. This vehicle has no armament.

Author's Note: Similar to the amphibious transport from Tiberian Sun, with the added bonus of more slots and the ability to transport vehicles.

Destroyer
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: 155mm Cannon (and Anti-Submarine Aircraft)
COST: 1000

The basic Allied naval unit, the Destroyer is designed to automatically defend against submerged enemy units like submarines. The Destroyer can also be used to bombard shorelines and enemy installations, allowing for easier amphibious invasions.

Author's Note: Your basic naval unit, suited to attack all forms of enemy naval units. The Osprey aircraft can attack submerged units, and are replaced automatically for free so don't be afraid to use them.

Naval Shipyard
ARMOR: Concrete
POWER USAGE: 25
PURPOSE: Builds Ships

Your navy will play an important role both in protecting your base and in attacking the enemy position. All of your naval units, including [REDACTED], are created at your Naval Yard. This structure must be placed entirely in water. Damaged ships can be returned to the Naval Yard to be repaired.

Author's Note: Required to build naval units, they also serve as the repair point for them. Unlocks ships.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "The tragic loss of Chicago, however devastating, doesn't compare to the loss of our whole nation. Your quick destruction of the Psychic Amplifier meant that the Soviets never had time to fully test its power."

Slower than Par Time: "The Psychic Amplifier was destroyed, but not before the Soviets gained valuable test data about it's effects. In spite of the tragic loss of Chicago, however, you've saved our entire nation from falling under the influence of the Soviets' most powerful psychic weapon."

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Tech buildings started healing automatically in the expansion.

That weird building you hovered over is the Chicago Water Tower

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's one hell of a beard on our Russian friend.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Destroyer has always been the ugliest unit to me. The yellow plane and round turret makes it look like a toy!

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

That's one hell of a beard on our Russian friend.

And one heck of a temper too, dang. Forgot that this mission was so early in the campaign, but it is a decent intro to naval combat, although most of the action takes place on land. The Soviet base being so close by does spice things up, and for once they actually have a decent amount of anti-air, although as shown, the Soviet defense of their Power Plants is lacking and Rocketeers once again rule this map. The mission itself probably could have had more on the righthand side though, most of it is pretty empty outside of the two tech buildings, although I do like how the main Soviet base is pretty much just plopped right in the middle of the city though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ThingOne posted:

Tech buildings started healing automatically in the expansion.

That weird building you hovered over is the Chicago Water Tower

There's also a version of the Willis tower in the upper left of the map. Probably set up so you can't see the whole building and therefore worry about the weird copyright on it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

The Destroyer has always been the ugliest unit to me. The yellow plane and round turret makes it look like a toy!
Yes it's not a pretty unit. Also it's completely neutered if the submarines are anywhere near flak since the plane has very little health. For example just lurk near the coast with some flak guns or trucks and the subs can't be attacked. And even if the destroyers charge forward to take out the flak they still sink because the plane respawn timer is pretty long.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Since it's right next to the water, pretty sure you'd be able to beat the mission quickly by sending your initial set of destroyers up to destroy the Psychic tower.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes that works. Not sure on the amount of submarines on hard but on normal and easy you can just sail up the channel ignoring all defenses and blow it up.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Hm. Dunno if it's a modern sourceport thing, but I recall the missile actually launching, with nuclear attack sirens and everything before it cuts to the FMV.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I know someone pointed it out and I think I recorded the audio before it but Chrono Miners indeed carry half as much as the Soviet War Miner (500 vs 1000) [Doubled if gems]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Loxbourne posted:

Hm. Dunno if it's a modern sourceport thing, but I recall the missile actually launching, with nuclear attack sirens and everything before it cuts to the FMV.

Yeah I remember that too. Doubtful its a sourceport thing, however, because the only modification I have is some text file stuff to allow higher resolution and/or changing the video wrapper to let me record stuff. Red Alert 2 was never made free by EA, so CCNet doesn't have a sourceport like previous games, just a new multiplayer client/server thing.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

how are you getting this game to run stably? my origin version has a bad habit of shutting down randomly

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

V. Illych L. posted:

how are you getting this game to run stably? my origin version has a bad habit of shutting down randomly

If I remember correctly it was either through:

http://www.tntts.com/2017/11/install-and-run-command-conquer-red_7.html

or

https://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/182360-cc-red-alert-2-windows-8-windows-10-fix/

Not 100% sure which I went through specifically as its been like 2 months now, or the pandemic has wiped my sense of time. I just know that you have to change the compatibility, use a new wrapper, and change the .ini settings for your desired resolution.

Works flawlessly on my Windows 10 machine so far, haven't tried the expansion.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah I remember that too. Doubtful its a sourceport thing, however, because the only modification I have is some text file stuff to allow higher resolution and/or changing the video wrapper to let me record stuff. Red Alert 2 was never made free by EA, so CCNet doesn't have a sourceport like previous games, just a new multiplayer client/server thing.

I just completed both campaigns, and it did the same thing as in your playthrough. Mine were just the CDs and 1.006 patch.

E:

I did get the klaxons, though. Weird.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why would the missile need to launch? It's already in the middle of Chicago, what would going into the air do for it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

Why would the missile need to launch? It's already in the middle of Chicago, what would going into the air do for it?

Well, the nuke in the video appears to be above ground, and the explosive profile would change if it was underground.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It is above ground, it came out of its silo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

It is above ground, it came out of its silo.

That's my point as to why it would launch into the air though. Air blasts are more effective.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

From what I understand the warheads usually don't arm that fast. Gotta go way up first.

But then again it's all fantasy.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Really like how the mission-end briefing is kinda just like "Man chicago got nuked that really sucks but hey I guess it's better than all of America being mind-controlled!"

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really like how the mission-end briefing is kinda just like "Man chicago got nuked that really sucks but hey I guess it's better than all of America being mind-controlled!"

Better radioactive ash then RED.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 05: Operation: Dark Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkj9ISWNh0Y
Operation: Dark Night

Now that the situation has stabilized itself somewhat in the continental United States, its time to send out calls for help, especially for our old allies in Europe. Unfortunately for us, the Soviets have a number of forward nuclear silos that are threatening to attack any targets of opportunity from Spain to Germany! If we are ever to balance the scales of power, we will need to send in a team of infiltrators to knock out those nuclear weapons for good.

In the cutscene and loading screen, the location appears to be given somewhere on the Polish/Belorussian border, and Poland already being Allied!

Objective: Neutralize the Soviet nuclear missiles in the area.

Briefing: European forces still refuse to fight with us, fearing a Soviet nuclear counterattack. We have discovered the location of their medium-range missiles in Poland. Special agent Tanya has secretly crossed the Polish border. You will direct her to destroy the Soviet Nuclear Missiles.

Author's note: The first baseless mission? Woah. A few one, with some goodies strewn about. If you ever get the tank, you can bypass the 2nd base by using the tank to just... destroy the walls.

Name: Lt. Eva
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Name: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Kerry Michaels

The Prime Minister of England. The Margaret Thatcher expy of this game.

Voiced/Played by: Frank Bruynbroek

Named Lyon in the manual, this General is a clear parody of De Gaulle.

Voiced/Played by: Stuart Nesbit

The Chancellor of Germany, he looks like Ludwig Erhard, but as far as I know he's based on a different Chancellor.

Name: President Dugan
Voiced/Played by: Ray Wise

President of the United States of America. Helped install Premier Romanov in Soviet Russia. Defected to the Reds. Rehabilitated after the destruction of the Psychic Beacon in Washington D.C.

Name: Tanya
Aliases: Widowmaker
Affiliation: Hired Gun
Voiced/Played by: Kari Wuhrer

Agent Tanya is a renowned mercenary who plays by her own rules. It has been suggested that the name "Tanya" may be a codename, similar to Agent 007. Responded to the crisis and helped recapture the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, after having dealt with the Soviet invasion in New York. Sent to Poland to destroy the forward Soviet nukes used to deter European involvement in the ongoing Third World War.

Spy
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: Flak
WEAPON: None

The Spy is a stealth unit used by the Allied forces to gain an advantage over their foes. Rather than attacking enemy units, the Spy targets an enemy and changes his appearance to that of the enemy unit. This allows him to sneak past enemies and into enemy structures, providing substantial benefits. The Spy’s function inside the enemy structure depends on which building he enters. Attack Dogs are never fooled by the Spy’s disguise, so watch out for them.

Author's Note: An interesting update to the spy, with a new method of displaying how the spy disguises himself in accordance to the increased number of infantry units available.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Soviet commanders are still analyzing your attack, trying to discover the secrets of your advanced covert strategies."

Slower than Par Time: "The missiles have been destroyed. Other Soviet missiles have been moved deep inside the USSR."

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In the cutscene and loading screen, the location appears to be given somewhere on the Polish/Belorussian border, and Poland already being Allied!

And yet, the border crossing at the start of the actual mission has German and Soviet flags. Go figure.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh, this is the one with Tanya and the Spies isn't it? gently caress yes, I love this mission.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
I never did this mission properly. I captured the first base and rhino swarmed the rest.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you use any unit but Tanya in this mission you are a coward

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Faster than Par Time: "Soviet commanders are still analyzing your attack, trying to discover the secrets of your advanced covert strategies."

Mooo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I've never even attempted going outside of the obvious route. Didn't think you would find all of this stuff, hiding just a couple of steps away. :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
How did the Soviets move their army to North America with no one suspecting a thing, you ask?

Psychic mind control, same as with every other logical objection to the game's events so far.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

How did the Soviets move their army to North America with no one suspecting a thing, you ask?

Psychic mind control, same as with every other logical objection to the game's events so far.

Fair point. Also, President Dugan is pretty dumb.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You take back what you said about Ray Wise dammit! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

You take back what you said about Ray Wise dammit! :argh: