Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

both apple and google have a massive database of geolocated wifi networks generated from people walking past your house with their wifi and location services turned on. this allows both companies to narrow your location down to a couple hundred feet even with the gps disabled. probably that's part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

i didnt know tviv had a mod detector

hooah

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is keeping the Android tablet dream alive

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/samsungs-galaxy-tab-s6-lite-is-keeping-the-android-tablet-dream-alive/

the Android tablet dream posted:

please...just let me die

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only really bad thing in rogue one is the contractually obligated shoehorning in of old movie characters. they should have just hired some other ancient british dude to reprise tarkin and left out the classic droids, vader, leia and the blockade runner

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

the only really bad thing in rogue one is the contractually obligated shoehorning in of old movie characters. they should have just hired some other ancient british dude to reprise tarkin and left out the classic droids, vader, leia and the blockade runner

same

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

these are not the droids you’re looking for

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
rogue one is a mess. they switched out directors halfway through and the end result feels like two different movies stapled together. the first half is interestingly gritty and nasty with the subversive suggestion that the taliban are right - and then suddenly the main character does a complete 180 for no reason (switching from "no one tells me what to do" to "i'm ready to be a leader and take orders"). the big ground battle at the end played as a mixture of cover-based shooter and puzzle fps, and whoever played the male lead was kind of a charisma vacuum (a problem for a lead actor).

it had lots of good stuff: riz ahmad, the robot, the main bad guy being a middle manager who was afraid he would get stuck with all the blame and none of the credit, a lot of worldbuilding that added to the main trilogy, and the big final space battle which is probably the best big setpiece battle in all of star wars (sorry, trench run and battle of hoth). the disposable characters meant a surprising number of heroic deaths, which is something you usually dont see in star wars movies (and kept the stakes high, which is useful in a movie where you know how it ends - leia escapes with the plans, duh).

its more good than not, and probably the best of the five disney movies, but man you can really the seams between the movie they started making and the one they ended up with

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
look I don’t care what you say, Han and Chewbacca were absolutely in a sexual relationship

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"I thought it smelled bad on the outside!"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what in the world that was not for this thread

hey, remember when verizon had to pay lucasfilm for use of the word “droid?”

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
android branding is repulsive

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rogue one probably had one or two many heroic deaths crammed into the finale, there were some diminishing returns towards the end there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
many bothans died to get us this information. bothan deez nuts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

google will of course try it eventually, assuming their chip plans don’t implode.

there's no way google manages to make a good second generation chip. they might manage a first, as the novelty might keep management invested, but as the full development cycle will never fall within the bonus/promotion cycle at google i honestly and truly can't imagine that they'd keep it together.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Management posted:

many bothans died to get us this information. bothan deez nuts.

bothan dies? nuts!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

It's a Star Wars movie. It's bad by default. 45 year old men lined up to watch a saturday morning cartoon movie meant to sell toys.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there's no way google manages to make a good second generation chip. they might manage a first, as the novelty might keep management invested, but as the full development cycle will never fall within the bonus/promotion cycle at google i honestly and truly can't imagine that they'd keep it together.

problem: qualcomm hasn't updated their mobile soc in half a decade, because who gives a gently caress? people are still buying the old ones and where else are you going to go anyway?

solution: google will start to develop their own soc, make a half-assed first gen release, then allow the project to languish for half a decade before quietly discontinuing it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

problem: qualcomm hasn't updated their mobile soc in half a decade, because who gives a gently caress? people are still buying the old ones and where else are you going to go anyway?

solution: google will start to develop their own soc, make a half-assed first gen release, then allow the project to languish for half a decade before quietly discontinuing it.

nah google has that process down. it'll be killed in six months

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

speaking of...

a google credit card

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'd definitely trust google with my finances

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
finally, an advertising company will know every single financial transaction i make the moment i make it!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

finally, an advertising company will know every single financial transaction i make the moment i make it!

:ssh: they already do but they currently have to buy that data so if they launch a credit card they’ll be getting paid to get it instead

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Samsung’s Galaxy Watch Active2 can monitor your blood pressure

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/samsungs-galaxy-watch-active2-can-monitor-your-blood-pressure/

encouraging people with potentially serious health conditions to use an android made by samsung to monitor health data

good thing this is a totally bulletproof plan

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/samsungs-galaxy-watch-active2-can-monitor-your-blood-pressure/

encouraging people with potentially serious health conditions to use an android made by samsung to monitor health data

I guess this is a "Sell shovels rather than go mining" thing? Samsung probably has a medical equipment division and this'll sell more angioplasty machines?

:shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

that doesnt run android it runs tizen

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
even worse :rip:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I phoned my phone and it was inside the house!

I did not want to lose those ear buds.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

I've tried for years to go as low as possible but still not buy crap for tablets and phones.
For phones, Xiaomi (and now, Realme) is where it's at. For just $20 more than this one, you can get a Redmi A-series, which, while still under-specced (the sweetspot is the Redmi Note / Realme 6), will work as advertised w/ solid HW, OS and SW, a couple OS updates, and no surprise hidden defect/design failure. No NFC though.
For tablets, Xiaomi's are quite "expensive". Amazon Fire 8 or 10 (not 7) + Google Play is where it's at, unless you can't bear the idiotic iOS-like non-replaceable Launcher. I've had either design or durability issues with stuff from Teclast, Chuwi and Cube.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Encrypted posted:

I've tried for years to go as low as possible but still not buy crap for tablets and phones.
For phones, Xiaomi (and now, Realme) is where it's at. For just $20 more than this one, you can get a Redmi A-series, which, while still under-specced (the sweetspot is the Redmi Note / Realme 6), will work as advertised w/ solid HW, OS and SW, a couple OS updates, and no surprise hidden defect/design failure. No NFC though.
For tablets, Xiaomi's are quite "expensive". Amazon Fire 8 or 10 (not 7) + Google Play is where it's at, unless you can't bear the idiotic iOS-like non-replaceable Launcher. I've had either design or durability issues with stuff from Teclast, Chuwi and Cube.

what a life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bullguy was complaining that fedex refused to deliver his fourth new phone of the past year a day earlier than scheduled

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We have a Samsung galaxy 5s or some poo poo that needs to be on 24/7 for sms routing for work.

What stupid ideas can I use it for that won't use up too much extra power?

I'm thinking maybe security camera or is there some always on clock app that can show the wind schedule for the day that doesn't suck absolute poo poo?

I guess for that second one I'd want to upgrade it to something with amoled to prevent power wastage and light leakage at night.. although then I guess it would get gnarly screen burn in.

Ah gently caress it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Encrypted posted:

source your quotes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Encrypted posted:

Source you're are quots!

E: Goddamnit. :mad:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Encrypted posted:

Little Brother,

Just buy an iPhone and an iPad and be done with it.

yours,
(dis) concerned older brother

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google finally managed to release wireless earbuds that don’t have wires. the verge wrote a million words on these, none of which I read, but the score of 7.5 is, uh, not the best

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/27/21237660/google-pixel-buds-2-2020-wireless-earbuds-headphones-review-price-specs-features

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

even the gray thread doesn't give a poo poo about them

though tbf they all wave their dicks on who can get the cheapest alibaba wireless headphones so maybe not the best gauge of interest

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

bullguy was complaining that fedex refused to deliver his fourth new phone of the past year a day earlier than scheduled

I haven't owned an Android phone since 2011. Been pretty good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I haven't owned an Android phone since 2011. Been pretty good.

SAme. I lost my Android phone (DROID OG) in 2011 after a night out and i realized I was actually relieved it was gone.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

sounds ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i have never used an android at any time