Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
How often people go to do groceries and shopping compared to pre-corona times, according to Google data:

quote:

The Dutch still often go out, "but that doesn't have to be a problem"
By Joost Schellevis and Stephan Vegelien

The Dutch still go out relatively often compared to other Europeans. Although we go to work less often, by public transport and to the supermarket, the decrease is less significant than the average in Europe.

The Dutch also stayed a little less at home. People who were hardest hit were those in hard-hit Spain and Italy, but also in Luxembourg. Sweden, Czechs and Latvians were relatively least at home among all Europeans.

This is evident from an analysis by the NOS of statistics that Google has recently released. These are trips from smartphone users who have enabled location history, which helps Google know where they have been when.

The Dutch also like to go to the supermarket. Where in Italy the number of visits to supermarkets and pharmacies decreased by 82 percent, in the Netherlands it was only 16 percent.

And while the average European went to the park less often, we did that more often: 41 percent. The beautiful spring weather can explain that.

That we go out relatively often is not bad in itself, says epidemiologist Patricia Bruijning of the UMC Utrecht. "Going to the park and shopping is something that has limited the Netherlands less than other countries."

"The question is: do you have more contacts with others? That's what it's about," said the epidemiologist. Restricting outings and shopping visits will not necessarily help, she says. "The Netherlands is not much worse off than other countries when you look at reducing the virus."

Moreover, according to professor of theoretical epidemiology Hans Heesterbeek of Utrecht University, it is not clear exactly how many measures are required to limit the outbreak of the virus. "We don't know if 30 percent or 40 percent less contact with each other makes a significant difference," said Heesterbeek.

Other countries may even be doing too much, Heesterbeek thinks. "Although it is a risk that, because we do just enough, we may also fall back into our old patterns faster than countries that have really been completely locked down.

twoday has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

In five months I will be in the streets muttering nonstop,

America got owned. America got owned. We deserved it, yes.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" my country continues to insist as it slowly transforms into an economic hellscape

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/jkbjournalist/status/1250723960725147649

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

How often people go to do groceries and shopping compared to pre-corona times, according to Google data:

Now post the US where it's like +20000000%

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I saw this posted on the Discord

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

Now post the US where it's like +20000000%

Have to go make sure nothing is out of stock!! Its the only way to treat my anxiety about facing shortages for the first time in my life!

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Doc Fission posted:

rolled out of bed and immediately bought cigarettes because my job, which is dealing in relief efforts, is stressing me the gently caress out, so naturally I must make myself more susceptible, to that thing, for which I am coordinating relief efforts,

dont worry - tobacco protects the lungs from the roni!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

nobody is talking about italy anymore it’s all about the US now!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

im permabanned poster coronastomper58. i first started reading covid when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "social distancing" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "where are my trumpbux" and "i lust for boomer death" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "social distancing" style of pandemic response was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" covid to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Like a flying squirrel or legit cats with wings?

Flying squirrel. Can't find the video.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Since 3/13, I've found toilet paper for sale exactly once, a twelve pack at Aldi that I snapped up. Other than that, absolutely nothing. Starting to think I'm going to have to use the carpet remnants up in the attic,

From what I've seen you can still find wet wipes in box store camping aisles. Should cut down on paper use!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
The unemployment number is much higher because people who are self employed or are gig workers can't get unemployment benefits, at least yet, I'm not sure they'll let us get them at all tbh

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/15/workers-struggle-to-claim-unemployment-relief-188814

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

good news everybody

florida might go blue this year

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

shirunei posted:

From what I've seen you can still find wet wipes in box store camping aisles. Should cut down on paper use!

When I was packing for my move I found a full box of wet wipes and I might as well found a stack of bills because I was that happy. I'm going to flush each one I use to own the libs

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

BeefThief posted:

here's a fun factoid: during the week of March where the US testing capacity increase actually matched the spread of the virus (March 17-22) the CFR was 1.35%. Today, with 644k confirmed cases and 28.5k confirmed deaths the CFR is 4.43%. Either this poo poo got a lot deadlier or we are missing ~1.5m cases in our count.

just gonna quote this b/c it should be headline news in every paper in america :patriot:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/edwardcholmes/status/1250581802667798528

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

NofrikinfuN posted:

good news everybody

florida might go blue this year

nope.

also why are they standing so close to each other christ

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Charun posted:

imagine you could go back in time and stop 9/11 from happening, but the covid was locked in
would you even bother?

yeah, preventing the twenty years of random murders we did in the middle east would have so many knock on effects that the world would be unrecognizable

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

yeah, preventing the twenty years of random murders we did in the middle east would have so many knock on effects that the world would be unrecognizable

Bush was going to Iraq one way or another.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wow only 1 strain an the whole lab ok.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

no one has thought of Cassandra in 2500+ years

no, not even you

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Death camps? no no, that's too severe.

How about "The Villages" ?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

apparently the paycheck protection program is already out of money

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/politics/coronavirus-small-business-program.html

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:waycool:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

no masks but hey how about a pepsi ($1)

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Here's an article in Nature that argues that it's pretty unlikely that Covid is a purposely manipulated virus

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

quote:

The acquisition of both the polybasic cleavage site and predicted O-linked glycans also argues against culture-based scenarios. New polybasic cleavage sites have been observed only after prolonged passage of low-pathogenicity avian influenza virus in vitro or in vivo17. Furthermore, a hypothetical generation of SARS-CoV-2 by cell culture or animal passage would have required prior isolation of a progenitor virus with very high genetic similarity, which has not been described. Subsequent generation of a polybasic cleavage site would have then required repeated passage in cell culture or animals with ACE2 receptors similar to those of humans, but such work has also not previously been described. Finally, the generation of the predicted O-linked glycans is also unlikely to have occurred due to cell-culture passage, as such features suggest the involvement of an immune system18.

From what I understand (not a virologist), the acquisition of a polybasic cleavage site would be astounding if it came from a lab.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Can't wait for people in media to start losing their jobs.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

galenanorth posted:

I saw this posted on the Discord

how do I get in the chat so I can shitpost at other roni warriors in real time

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rynn posted:

https://twitter.com/BWestbrookAZ8/status/1250563107874918400

Thank you Mr Turpm for cutting expenses for everyone to $120 a week. The president makes this possible for us all

Would that even cover rent in the US?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lmao amazing

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CODChimera posted:

A 1 or 2 bedroom apartment just about anywhere that's not a major city or the entire west coast for one month, yeah.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CODChimera posted:

not anywhere near where he’s giving that interview from

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sorry we just can't throw money at the problem. don't want to create any welfare queens

pay no mind to the bottomless pit of burning money on wall street. that's different

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Doc Fission posted:

how do I get in the chat so I can shitpost at other roni warriors in real time

Post your Discord username here, and I'll ask if there's anybody with invite privileges willing to send you an invite

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FAUXTON posted:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1250771236331741184?s=19

lol are they sure they want to gently caress over the people who have brain problems and guns and a taste for blood

troops are too stupid to turn their weapons on the source of their problems

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/1250780989011439616?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

galenanorth posted:

Post your Discord username here, and I'll ask if there's anybody with invite privileges willing to send you an invite

Brad#8475

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

galenanorth posted:

docfission#2781 please and TY