Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wasn't there also something about a particular strain, explaining the apparent difference in death rates between former East and West Germany?

There's a difference in rates between the two sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

If there is a correlation, it's probably not going to be antibody-mediated, think it would be more some other kind of non-B-cell immune priming

Yeah I figure it's a side-effect of the BCG not a direct effect. Maybe it causes inhibition of the added-lime protein.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

There's a difference in rates between the two sides?

Someone mentioned it, but I've no way of checking.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pistol_Pete posted:

I saw that this dude's apparently a proper academic and thought he might have written something coherent and thought-provoking that I could engage with, even though I might not agree with his premises.

NOPE.

lol most academics are exactly as dumb, short-sighted and brainwashed as the genpop

often moreso, actually, since they believe their own bullshit about being a big brain smarty pants

Qwertycoatl posted:

Sorry, you wandered into a horror movie by mistake

Yes, they did say that they went to a university in the UK

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Russia also is reporting basically gently caress-all fatalities which is either bullshit or interesting since the Soviets mandated the vaccine.

Anyway I am going to loudly bellow that BCG vaccinated me against covid to piss off both antivaxxers and anyone who cares about the scientific method.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.24.20042937v1 is a pre-print of a paper exploring the possibility - I'll leave it to wiser posters to point out any glaring errors in it.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Tesseraction posted:

Russia also is reporting basically gently caress-all fatalities which is either bullshit or interesting since the Soviets mandated the vaccine.

Anyway I am going to loudly bellow that BCG vaccinated me against covid to piss off both antivaxxers and anyone who cares about the scientific method.

Russia has had a surge of pneumonia cases that are definitely NOT - I repeat - NOT COVID-19 related.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It did spread later/more slowly in East Germany, but then the East is still poorer than the West, and has fewer large international businesses based there. Given that returning holidaymakers and business travellers were responsible for a lot of the early spread of the virus, that could be a big factor already. Plus the East is more rural and more sparsely populated. Could be that BCG rates have had an effect there, but it may well not be the biggest one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

It did spread later/more slowly in East Germany, but then the East is still poorer than the West, and has fewer large international businesses based there. Given that returning holidaymakers and business travellers were responsible for a lot of the early spread of the virus, that could be a big factor already. Plus the East is more rural and more sparsely populated. Could be that BCG rates have had an effect there, but it may well not be the biggest one.

Indeed, and in the comments to the paper I posted a few have mentioned things like lockdowns being earlier/better observed in countries with mandatory vaccination in general being another possible confounding factor. Without a plausible mechanism it's impossible to pick much signal out of the noise, but it has to be worth investigating.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

[me walking through the dying in the hospital covid ward] I have been immunised from tuberculosis, your coughs do not reach me

[me three weeks later] *in a casket*

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Indeed, and in the comments to the paper I posted a few have mentioned things like lockdowns being earlier/better observed in countries with mandatory vaccination in general being another possible confounding factor. Without a plausible mechanism it's impossible to pick much signal out of the noise, but it has to be worth investigating.

A more robust vaccination program being a proxy for a generally better prepared and set up set of healthcare institutions wouldn't be totally out of left field.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

She has her Boots on, but she's only kicking with one of them.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Happy to report a new visitor to the Barfish Breakfast Birdtable:

Eurasian Jay! They're lovely :3:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tarnop posted:

Lol my MP makes openly xenophobic comments, is now the shadow immigration minister, and my Starmer-nominating CLP treats her like she's the second coming.

And if she was put out of a job, then we get a Tory MP. Precisely the outcome that the people named in the report were so happy with in 2017.

we get a tory government anyway, might as well try to flex some actual muscle and gently caress with the party that claims to represent your values. if you withdraw your vote and you get a tory MP well, that's the "find out" part of "gently caress around and find out"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Beautiful birds!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it was nice to have a party to genuinely support for a bit

cant really be arsed to go back to voting green pointlessly

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Wonder if the Ireland Simpsons Fans (GB) party would gain any traction. Could even name it the Ireland Simpsons Tans.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got a good response to this?

Assorted FB friends: "Why aren't the private companies that own the care homes taking responsibility for providing PPE and taking the flack?"
"Greek chorus"*: Good question, why aren't people asking it?

I don't have an answer. My instinct is that there isn't any PPE to buy here? But I don't know.

(* reference to classical greek plays - benefits of a classical education).

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Assorted FB friends: "Why aren't the private companies that own the care homes taking responsibility for providing PPE and taking the flack?"

I don't have an answer. My instinct is that there isn't any PPE to buy here? But I don't know.

I work in a builders warehouse and our suppliers for PPE (most of them overseas) have been advising of extended lead times since January or February iirc. Obviously I can't know if this is true of other suppliers & manufacturers but it seems a pretty fair conclusion that there isn't the PPE to buy, yeah.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/1149200550845702144

He gave this interview just after he was sabotaging everything. Utterly heinous.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wait. Golden piano repairman?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A government has much more collective bargaining power than any private company. For an international emergency, they should be stepping up. Of course, this really goes back to Cameron's Big Society and the privatisation of the care sector making them much less capable of dealing with stuff like this in any sort of unified manner.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Wait. Golden piano repairman?

She has a massive golden piano that she gave a speech in front of.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Dominic raab has seen his shadow so there'll be 3 more weeks of lockdown

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

StarkingBarfish posted:

really good photos :3: haven't seen a jay in the wild before

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CGI Stardust posted:

I feel like I see them all the time, maybe they have a weird distribution or something?

like I literally just looked up and saw one (I'm currently in the woods)

e: excuse the very bad picture, it kept flying hither and thither

E2: there are two of them either fighting or flirting now

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 16, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You could agree that yeah, privatising health and social care is bad, and these private companies often don't meet their responsibilities. And it's ultimately the state's responsibility to protect people, especially when their bet on the private sector is what put people in this situation

Then you could point out that there's a massive shortage of the stuff, to the point where even NHS workers treating the most severe cases don't have what they need, and the government is slyly redefining the definition of what they need so they can magic the shortage away. It's really up to the government to resource supplies, and make sure they get distributed as best they can be, because the government is meant to be coordinating this response and that involves very large organisations and groups of people requiring equipment, and individual care homes can't rely on ~the market~ making sure everyone gets what they need

also the government completely failed to stock up on supplies even after running a frickin pandemic simulation exercise a few years ago that said we were short, and they don't seem particularly bothered about jumping on sources of supplies when they arise, so no this is definitely a systemic problem

if you just want a short answer you could ask them how their own PPE supplies are doing - got yourself a big stack of masks, gloves, antiseptic, hand sanitiser etc? Oh you don't, how irresponsible, maybe you should buy some then? Oh it's hard to get hold of? Maybe the government should running some kind of national effort to produce and distribute supplies in a time of crisis which is their job??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

StarkingBarfish posted:

it looks so :stoked: about finding that bird food

a big birb

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Do I clap tonight if I've got Bupa? Or is there a separate night?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

CGI Stardust posted:

I'm used to seeing them from when I was living in Switzerland- plenty of hazelnut trees for them to pillage. This is the first one I've seen in the UK though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

"Cross me, and I'll do you a Diana."

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Birdposting, I just met the most incredibly bourgeois duck

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

Those are literally called mandarin ducks, yes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/1149200550845702144

He gave this interview just after he was sabotaging everything. Utterly heinous.

I've gone to the conclusion that centrists liberals are the true evil of the world. At least fascists are angry about something, however misguided their beliefs and however horrifying their methods. People like this are just these soulless husks who don't seem to care about anything whatsoever beyond their own comfort and happiness, chasing popularity by saying and doing literally anything, seeing no problem and feeling no guilt in endangering other people with sabotage and lies then immediately crying about how it's someone else's fault with full and convincing crocodile tears. It's sociopathy as a political tool.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

peanut- posted:

there's a couple of them that visit the pond near me later in the year

they look like Pokémon

there was a cormorant a few weeks ago

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Eh I don't really see that lot as procedural liberals or anything, they were actively working to damage the leadership and the party and undermine the complaints process for a very specific end

e- I'm talking about those ducks if that wasn't clear

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I was actually thinking of that new Jason Momoa show, See, where a virus left 2 million humans alive, all blind, and giving birth to blind children. Great show, only one season so far.

Some twins are born with a "magical" ability to "hear silence", making them "witches". They are hunted for the threat they pose to the status quo, of blind leading the blind into slavery and despotism.

Reminds me of a novel by José Saramago called "Blindness"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
jay update: I have just seen two jays, although it's conceivable they are the same ones as before

maybe there's a colony?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

Reminds me of a novel by José Saramago called "Blindness"

The 1904 HG Wells short story _In the Country if the Blind_ is probably; the first treatment.

“Wikipedia” posted:

The village doctor suggests that Nuñez's eyes be removed, claiming that they are diseased and are "greatly distended" and because of this "his brain is in a state of constant irritation and distraction." Nuñez reluctantly consents to the operation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Old Liz likes a tinkle on her golden piano :laugh:

If you know what i mean!!!