Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, gun to my head, I would have said the torn speech happened in 2019...not two-and-a-half months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
When I went to the Asian market, almost half the people had face masks, and that was last year before this poo poo, so I wonder if it's a cultural thing.

Also, in regards to the payments to overdraft accounts, most social security payments work this way, they are not allowed to reduce the available balance, even with a standing negative balance. The full amount must be available. It seems like it would have been a simple thing to extend those rules to these payments as well.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

If someone has account debt > their stimulus, are banks actually paying themselves first?
Yes.

https://prospect.org/coronavirus/banks-can-grab-stimulus-check-pay-debts/

https://prospect.org/coronavirus/usaa-bank-grabs-stimulus-checks-from-military-families/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Proud of my tiny broke country for pledging €9m to the WHO to help stopgap the shortfall created by the US pulling out

https://www.thejournal.ie/who-ireland-funding-covid-simon-coveney-5076348-Apr2020/

Hopefully other countries will similarly contribute, and we can continue on, excluding the US as the failed state and unreliable partner it has been for some time.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 16, 2020

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Thanks Oprah

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oxyclean posted:

My trip the grocery store, a ton of people were wearing masks, but I had to point out the big obvious orange one-way arrows to like 5-6 people going the wrong way down an isle.

I had to block someone from getting on the elevator with me yesterday; we've got signs up about one person or family group per car. Dumbass not wearing a mask said "two is fine". I'm glad he didn't press it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

Would be nice if masks were being handed out/made available rather then expecting people to try to cobble something together?

Professionally made high-quality masks should be sent to hospitals and paramedics. These improvised masks are for people who aren't in high-risk situations but should still try to reduce transmission as much as possible.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Considering what happened it seems like she was quite correct in tearing it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LorneReams posted:

When I went to the Asian market, almost half the people had face masks, and that was last year before this poo poo, so I wonder if it's a cultural thing.

Also, in regards to the payments to overdraft accounts, most social security payments work this way, they are not allowed to reduce the available balance, even with a standing negative balance. The full amount must be available. It seems like it would have been a simple thing to extend those rules to these payments as well.

Face masks are def a thing in Asia, to the point where it's used as shorthand to show someone has a cold.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I wouldn't doubt that it's possibly the result of their automated banking software not allowing for edge cases like this. I mean, banks are evil and would probably do it anyway, but bank software is also really lovely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CoasterMaster posted:

Holy poo poo, gun to my head, I would have said the torn speech happened in 2019...not two-and-a-half months ago.
I was thinking the same thing. Jesus Christ.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

I wouldn't doubt that it's possibly the result of their automated banking software not allowing for edge cases like this. I mean, banks are evil and would probably do it anyway, but bank software is also really lovely.
Every bank I've ever used has had both a "balance" value and an "available for immediate withdrawal" value, with the difference usually coming from debit transactions that were posted but not yet completed and new check deposits that are waiting to be cleared. They have been able to make this distinction for decades; the technology already exists and has been implemented. They are choosing not to use it in this case.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

Professionally made high-quality masks should be sent to hospitals and paramedics. These improvised masks are for people who aren't in high-risk situations but should still try to reduce transmission as much as possible.

I don't disagree that there are priorities for high quality masks. I'm just kinda feeling this take:

https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1250564106739945472?s=20

"You need a mask if you wanna do your shopping. Don't have a mask? Try folding up a shirt and using some elastics, i dunno, your problem idiot."

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

CmdrRiker posted:

Naw, they have the ability in place for certain other payments, and they specifically asked about it in this case. They were told, "Naw, go ahead and take it."

Most banks probably won't, but USAA might have decided 'gently caress this guy in particular'

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I don't disagree that there are priorities for high quality masks. I'm just kinda feeling this take:

https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1250564106739945472?s=20

"You need a mask if you wanna do your shopping. Don't have a mask? Try folding up a shirt and using some elastics, i dunno, your problem idiot."

Yeah yeah whatever, country bad. Wear a mask.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Basically everyone making these orders is using “mask” as a shorthand for Face Covering. No one is telling the public that they need to all somehow acquire N95s to responsibly go out in public.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
like you can rubber band a tube sock onto your face and i think people will just be happy you aren't coughing poo poo everywhere

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Every bank I've ever used has had both a "balance" value and an "available for immediate withdrawal" value, with the difference usually coming from debit transactions that were posted but not yet completed and new check deposits that are waiting to be cleared. They have been able to make this distinction for decades; the technology already exists and has been implemented. They are choosing not to use it in this case.

What you are describing is transactions. Determining the non-duplicacted availability of funds is a little different than "we have this money that has been cleared and it can be protected from our triggered make good on debts automated systems."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The CDC put out instructions for making a mask yourself at home, either with or without sewing. If you go on social media, there are doubtless members of your extended friend and family network that are making homemade masks and would send you one if you asked. Etsy is absolutely filled with people making masks right now. I don't disagree that the American fixation on prohibiting the public from using medical masks is and was stupid, but there's a lot of alternatives out there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

like you can rubber band a tube sock onto your face and i think people will just be happy you aren't coughing poo poo everywhere

People are wearing sneakers over their face. Hope nobody gets mad at them for doing it though.

Also a wonderful medical researcher has potentially developed an N99 mask and I hope it works out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

What you are describing is transactions. Determining the non-duplicacted availability of funds is a little different than "we have this money that has been cleared and it can be protected from our triggered make good on debts automated systems."

ok but they all said they would do this if the Treasury made it a rule that they have to, so the claim that it's just too hard is obviously full of poo poo, they just don't want to

E: also they already do it with SS because that's the law so clearly they are lying about not being able to do it

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 16, 2020

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

Would be nice if masks were being handed out/made available rather then expecting people to try to cobble something together?

My trip the grocery store, a ton of people were wearing masks, but I had to point out the big obvious orange one-way arrows to like 5-6 people going the wrong way down an isle.

My store didn't have one way isles but they were limiting people in the store to 50 at a time. Just a really bored looking dude waving people in as people came out. The check out area had 6 foot spacers taped to the floor as well.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

The split between balance and available balance exists on the positive side. If it doesn't exist on the negative side, they purposefully inserted that functionality at some point, as it is more complex to do that than to not do that.

But it is not very relevant what the technical side of it is - they have said they're taking the money on purpose, and Mnuchin has given them the green light.

https://prospect.org/coronavirus/usaa-bank-grabs-stimulus-checks-from-military-families/ posted:

This is precisely the scenario sketched out by banking officials to the Prospect on Tuesday. A charged-off account with overdraft fees or other debts attached to it could receive the IRS payments, and then use them to offset those debts. Treasury officials told bank compliance officers in a webinar last week that “there is nothing in the law that precludes that action,” seen as a green light to enable banks to take the CARES Act payments.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin knew about this for two weeks, after being directly informed by Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH). The Treasury Department has the authority under the CARES Act to write a rule exempting the direct payments from private debt collection by financial actors, including banks like USAA. Treasury has so far chosen not to do so.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Yes, but on the other hand you don’t want people wearing masks handed to them by someone else without first disinfecting it. A scarf/bandana/any cloth covering are effective enough of you don’t have a mask. Most people should have something they can cover their face holes with.

Don’t put masks on babies though! I believe the guidance is >=2 only.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

People are wearing sneakers over their face. Hope nobody gets mad at them for doing it though.

Also a wonderful medical researcher has potentially developed an N99 mask and I hope it works out.

I'm just glad to see people wearing something at all, at this point. Including today, over the past two weeks I've been sent to 4 separate pharmacies 100 miles apart in my state for emergency staffing because they've all had potential exposures or confirmed infected staff. Each pharmacy will interact with a few hundred people a day, and although our stores are implementing headcount caps and temperature taking at the door (for staff only, natch), the floor staff stocking shelves or working the registers likely run into even more. Mask availability is less than great so I'm sure your local grocery folks would appreciate it, whatever you end up using.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Kaal posted:

The CDC put out instructions for making a mask yourself at home, either with or without sewing. If you go on social media, there are doubtless members of your extended friend and family network that are making homemade masks and would send you one if you asked. Etsy is absolutely filled with people making masks right now. I don't disagree that the American fixation on prohibiting the public from using medical masks is and was stupid, but there's a lot of alternatives out there.

I don't get why not wanting to buy medical grade masks when hospitals still don't have enough is stupid. But +1 for the CDC thing, even a dumbfuck like me made a t-shirt mask and it works OK.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/BenDWalsh/status/1250812702232109058

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's cool how Pelosi left it up to Mnuchin to decide if banks could steal the stimulus, so she can complain about him allowing it, rather than actually using her power to put it in the bill that it's not allowed

it's the best of both worlds, her friend Jamie Dimon gets to steal a bunch of money, and she gets to blame someone else

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/mazet/status/1250827901081194500

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Butt Strikes Back

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The point of everyone (who is not a healthcare worker or at high risk) wearing masks is not to protect you, it's to protect others if you're infected with mild/no symptoms and are walking around breathing and coughing everywhere.

You don't need a fancy mask, my mom spent most of two days sewing masks from a pattern with an insertable HEPA filter made from vacuum bags. That's way overkill. A bandana or scarf is better than nothing. The point is to reduce the amount of saliva you're spraying everywhere, not so much to prevent you from breathing in bad stuff.

You definitely don't need an N95 mask, you should see if you can donate any you have to healthcare workers. Those are for nurses, doctors, and other people who have to be in sustained contact with COVID-positive patients who are coughing everywhere.

Maintain social distancing, wash your hands, avoid touching your face. Everyone wearing a mask helps more because it makes it a habit and cultural norm, just like social distancing. Social distancing or wearing a mask doesn't do anything if you're both uninfected, but you also don't know for sure you're not infected.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

It's cool how Pelosi left it up to Mnuchin to decide if banks could steal the stimulus, so she can complain about him allowing it, rather than actually using her power to put it in the bill that it's not allowed

it's the best of both worlds, her friend Jamie Dimon gets to steal a bunch of money, and she gets to blame someone else

Dimon is a piece of hog poo poo, but JPMorgan has said they wouldn't do it, saying they won't do it of course doesn't mean they wouldn't try, but what's probably worse is they were the only institution to outright say they wouldn't do it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

God, I loving hate and loathe facebook with a deep, fiery loving passion

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/facebook-will-warn-people-who-like-or-react-to-fake-coronavirus-news.html

quote:

Facebook announced Thursday it will start warning users if they have liked, reacted or commented on harmful Covid-19 posts that the company has found to be misinformation and removed.

The feature will roll out in the coming weeks, Facebook said in a blog post.

“These messages will connect people to COVID-19 myths debunked by the World Health Organization including ones we’ve removed from our platform for leading to imminent physical harm,” Guy Rosen, Facebook’s vice president of integrity, said in a blog post.

So, Facebook HAS THE ABILITY to do this. They know and probably log where you went, how long you spent there, which videos you watched and which ones you may have been interested in enough to click in but did not watch, and so on, and so on....

Here is what bothers the gently caress out of me: Facebook has clearly had the power to do JUST THIS THING this for quite a few years, now - that is to say, aggressively address misinformation and propaganda being put out by individuals both withing our country and without. Some of the misinformation might even be well-intentioned, but that still should not happen. The point stands. I'm just sort of in shock that all along, Facebook has had it within them to specifically look at and address all the horrible, hateful, lying, negative-willed crap that winds up in Facebook arguments and in some of the more hateful groups. It is INCUMBENT upon Facebook to foster the kind of environment where healthy discourse and discussion flows, and nobody even thinks about making bad-faith arguments or trolls. It's not "the end of the rainbow", you just need halfway-decent moderators who actually do their part, and Facebook can MORE than afford that.

The more I think about it, the more I realize what an absolute loving crime it is that they do not treat political untruths and political propaganda like information about Covid19 - meaning, it's critical information and lives are very likely riding on what the answer is! But lives are ALWAYS on the line! If Facebook had done its job back in 2016 and been even REMOTELY COMPETENT we would be living in a different world now, and while there might still be a pandemic, the USA likely would NOT be the epicenter.

So yeah. Great that facebook is behaving responsible, but it's loving infuriating beyond words, too!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XeyBd_IuA

It's eerie how prescient this movie actually was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kaworu posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/facebook-will-warn-people-who-like-or-react-to-fake-coronavirus-news.html

So, Facebook HAS THE ABILITY to do this. They know and probably log where you went, how long you spent there, which videos you watched and which ones you may have been interested in enough to click in but did not watch, and so on, and so on....

Here is what bothers the gently caress out of me: Facebook has clearly had the power to do JUST THIS THING this for quite a few years, now - that is to say, aggressively address misinformation and propaganda being put out by individuals both withing our country and without. Some of the misinformation might even be well-intentioned, but that still should not happen. The point stands. I'm just sort of in shock that all along, Facebook has had it within them to specifically look at and address all the horrible, hateful, lying, negative-willed crap that winds up in Facebook arguments and in some of the more hateful groups. It is INCUMBENT upon Facebook to foster the kind of environment where healthy discourse and discussion flows, and nobody even thinks about making bad-faith arguments or trolls. It's not "the end of the rainbow", you just need halfway-decent moderators who actually do their part, and Facebook can MORE than afford that.

The more I think about it, the more I realize what an absolute loving crime it is that they do not treat political untruths and political propaganda like information about Covid19 - meaning, it's critical information and lives are very likely riding on what the answer is! But lives are ALWAYS on the line! If Facebook had done its job back in 2016 and been even REMOTELY COMPETENT we would be living in a different world now, and while there might still be a pandemic, the USA likely would NOT be the epicenter.

So yeah. Great that facebook is behaving responsible, but it's loving infuriating beyond words, too!

Facebook is run at the policy level by Republicans at this point, and they know that mass disinformation campaigns are important to the GOP electoral strategy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Facebook figured out a couple of years ago that they could either throw their chips into Republicans going forward and just take the ad revenue, or see if Dems come back to power and hope they don’t drop the regulation hammer on them

Guess what they chose

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Means testing is loving garbage. Just a recap of the bullshit I've been dealing with the past 30 days after getting laid off work:

Not eligible for UI in both states I've been working in, didn't make enough money
Made too much money for EBT
Not eligible for IRS stimulus

Not means testing related but more fun trivia:
Applied for 58 jobs on Indeed
Applied for 9 on ncworks

Now that the SBA is out of money I'm expecting a lot more layoffs and a lot more people falling through the cracks like me.

Also apparently if you went to the IRS website and it says it couldn't determine your eligibility, according to a Verge article, you're probably just ineligible.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/15/21222749/irs-coronavirus-get-my-payment-portal-payment-status-not-available-stimulus-explanation

quote:

According to that IRS FAQ, here’s when you might see the “payment status unavailable” message:

If you are not eligible for a payment
If you are required to file a tax return and have not filed in tax year 2018 or 2019
If you recently filed your return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov
If you are a SSA or RRB Form 1099 recipient, SSI or VA benefit recipient

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

kaworu posted:

Facebook's main userbase is now old white people and suburban mom groups. Of course they aren't going to actually police disinformation that would hurt their fragile user's feelings/bottom line.

Also if they start looking too deeply they might find that a large % of accounts are fake which means all their numbers for the past decade are made up. Which will open them up to lawsuits from shareholders, etc. Same with twitter.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Means testing is loving garbage. Just a recap of the bullshit I've been dealing with the past 30 days after getting laid off work:

Not eligible for UI in both states I've been working in, didn't make enough money
Made too much money for EBT
Not eligible for IRS stimulus

Not means testing related but more fun trivia:
Applied for 58 jobs on Indeed
Applied for 9 on ncworks

Now that the SBA is out of money I'm expecting a lot more layoffs and a lot more people falling through the cracks like me.

Also apparently if you went to the IRS website and it says it couldn't determine your eligibility, according to a Verge article, you're probably just ineligible.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/15/21222749/irs-coronavirus-get-my-payment-portal-payment-status-not-available-stimulus-explanation

I also think means testing is counter-productive to progressive goals because it others people who are eligible and breeds resentment between those who do and do not receive a benefit by playing into "welfare" or "hand-out" framing.

"college education is something that a prosperous country like the US should provide for all of it's citizens" is a much better message than "if you make more than "x" you have to pay for your kid's college and the college of anyone making less than x", regardless of who "deserves" help. By presenting an issue as a community effort instead of helping the less fortunate you short circuit the entire arguement about who deserves what.

The tax code is where the means testing should be applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250774109144875008

if thats the best he can find that he is in a dark place.

also lol at this.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250834265471954945