Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Don't have a recipe, but man, j now crave some flat bread or naan.

Also: explain to me why every white person on the planet is now starting a sourdough culture while doing WFH.

The toilet paper craze I "kinda understood", because at least there was a rational need/demand at the root of it that got blown out of proportion by dumb people, but sourdough...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ok yeah, 8K is a loving lot in overdrafts. I have no idea what that families particular backstory is but if USAA is using that money to cover just the actual overdrafts (things they paid for while the family had no money in their account) then that is fair game.

IIRC, most of the time once you hit a certain limit, for obvious reasons, the banks stop letting you overdraft (because a checking account is not a line of credit and it's a liability issue for them). So it's entirely possible out of the 8K, USAA is owed like 150-200 dollars in fees and the rest is entirely what they wrote checks for/used a debit card for.

8k is a shitton of overdrafts, I didn't even know personal accounts could get that high.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

reading the article, the family had an account negative $8000 due to massive overdrafts. The family claimed "some" of that was due to fraud, but could not prove the fraud. I've had a USAA debit card stolen and a friend has had her USAA checkbook stolen. The requirements to prove fraud are nearly nothing.

I don't mean to be that guy, but that family in particular drained their account as much as they could then opened a new bank account with another bank. I've seen that type of thing happen in the past, and I'm not surprised that the bank used the money towards that debt. It's very common in the personal banking world.

That's on USAA then for taking poor lending risks

The stimulus money is to support Americans during a crisis so they can still feed and shelter their families, it's not supposed to be a backdoor bailout for unsecured debt on bank balance sheets.

USAA doesn't get to go through this guy's mail taking birthday money from grandma to satisfy overdrafts, why should they be allowed to intercept stimulus payments.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Flatbreads are usually still leavened with something, otherwise they come out more like a cracker or tortilla than a pita/naan

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for making Kurdish flatbread?

When we were in Erbil they had these bread shops that seemed to consist of a wood fired oven and stacks of flour. You could get a big bag of bread for a dollar or two.

I think it was just water and flour, didn't seem like it was leavened. I've been wanting to make some for a while.

Also, gently caress BofA.

They would put all the charges first, charge me overdraft fees, then deposit my paycheck.

This is probably pretty close, should be a good starting point if nothing else.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

That's on USAA then for taking poor lending risks

The stimulus money is to support Americans during a crisis so they can still feed and shelter their families, it's not supposed to be a backdoor bailout for unsecured debt on bank balance sheets.

USAA doesn't get to go through this guy's mail taking birthday money from grandma to satisfy overdrafts, why should they be allowed to intercept stimulus payments.

If the account was negative it was literally an automated process so they didn’t need to go out of their way to intercept anything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gently caress banks

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also: explain to me why every white person on the planet is now starting a sourdough culture while doing WFH.

The toilet paper craze I "kinda understood", because at least there was a rational need/demand at the root of it that got blown out of proportion by dumb people, but sourdough...?

this is my go to naan bread and i've never seen one go cold in my house.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I learned to stop trusting BofA when they held a cash deposit overnight and let a bunch of overdrafts (and fees!) slip through before applying it to my balance.

gently caress BofA.

I switched to USAA in part because they aren't poo poo about overdrafts (for me they just won't accept them, which I like).

This was after I over drafted by like $30-$40 when I was a dumb as poo poo E-3 and ran around putting individual smokes, cans of dip, and monsters on my card all the time. loving BoA of course reordered the transactions so even though the overdraft was caused by a $200 bill I paid at the end of the day they processed that first and then charged my like $35x6 for a bunch of $1-$5 transactions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I will agree that it is absolutely lovely there was nothing in the bill that exempted banks from collecting on these types of debt.

My understanding is that there is, but it's up to Treasury to enforce it.

Guess what Treasury isn't doing!

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Every time I have managed to overdraft my USAA account they’ve refunded the fees without any question. It’s only happened a handful of times in ten years but I can confidently say I’ve never actually had to pay an overdraft fee.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PeterCat posted:

It was the Henry model 1860.

Prove me wrong.

it's not selective-fire, and i'm pretty sure its ammo is too small

though i do think i see your point

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's because baking is a time-consuming, but straightforwardly rewarding hobby that can be readily scaled in difficulty to an individual's experience, but prepared yeast is one of the consumer items that has been scarce in grocers since the lockdowns.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BofA- my first wife had her pay and Christmas bonus deposited. We waited until it was no longer pending, showing available, and in our account when we called (back in 07 internet banking wasn't so reliable. Go Christmas shopping.

Overdrafted. Even though we had over 3k showing as in our account and available. Bank of America moved the money from available back to pending, and took out all the money. Then deposited it again, still leaving us with over 1k in fees.

gently caress BofA

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Doc Hawkins posted:

Fun fact, Imperial Russia actually ordered a poo poo-ton of American lever-action rifles (Winchester 1895s) and used them during World War I, the only major power to do so. (Russia also used what can be considered the first actual assault rifle, the Fedorov Avtomat. Not that it helped them much, considering the horrendous condition and performance of the Imperial Russian Army and its leadership.)

e: anyway, current events!

https://twitter.com/RuralChrisLee/status/1250771491144138752?s=19

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Too small? .44 Henry was a decently beefy round.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
BofA is what instilled me to hold on to cash whenever possible and use cash as often as I could over card transactions. It also burned in an overdraft method where if I know I'm going to be short and it's like, a week or two until I get paid again, I'll just draw the max at an ATM for one transaction, usually $400, and take the single hit for overdrafting, then pay what I need to in cash to get by. Beats getting hit by ten different things because I'm just broke and keep using the card.

I'm no fan of overdrafting practices and fees, but it has saved my rear end more than a few times. It's also an easy way for the bank to roll you into an unsecured loan at high interest to return your account to zero, assuming they don't just turn you over to collections.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for making Kurdish flatbread?

When we were in Erbil they had these bread shops that seemed to consist of a wood fired oven and stacks of flour. You could get a big bag of bread for a dollar or two.

I think it was just water and flour, didn't seem like it was leavened. I've been wanting to make some for a while.

Also, gently caress BofA.

They would put all the charges first, charge me overdraft fees, then deposit my paycheck.

It’s really hard to do that kind of flatbread at home with the same magical result because a lot of what gives it that oomph is the insanely hot fire oven that the flatbread is on very briefly. The best you can do at home is a longer time over lower heat (a maxed out frying pan) which is going to give you thicker flatbread in my experience. But, pretty much any fresh flatbread is still good and really easy to make.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1250813641336782852?s=20

The Noticer-in-Chief has logged on

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fun fact, Imperial Russia actually ordered a poo poo-ton of American lever-action rifles (Winchester 1895s) and used them during World War I, the only major power to do so. (Russia also used what can be considered the first actual assault rifle, the Fedorov Avtomat. Not that it helped them much, considering the horrendous condition and performance of the Imperial Russian Army and its leadership.)

e: anyway, current events!

https://twitter.com/RuralChrisLee/status/1250771491144138752?s=19

Another interesting note, the US Army conducted Operation Archangel to retake those weapons after Russia fell to the Bolsheviks.

I’m glad NC is slowly loosing some of its chudness, hopefully they hold through November.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

this is my go to naan bread and i've never seen one go cold in my house.

Welp, yeast is a black market commodity at this point. :(

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Welp, yeast is a black market commodity at this point. :(

Time to get into sourdough

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

BofA is what instilled me to hold on to cash whenever possible and use cash as often as I could over card transactions. It also burned in an overdraft method where if I know I'm going to be short and it's like, a week or two until I get paid again, I'll just draw the max at an ATM for one transaction, usually $400, and take the single hit for overdrafting, then pay what I need to in cash to get by. Beats getting hit by ten different things because I'm just broke and keep using the card.

I'm no fan of overdrafting practices and fees, but it has saved my rear end more than a few times. It's also an easy way for the bank to roll you into an unsecured loan at high interest to return your account to zero, assuming they don't just turn you over to collections.

Yeah BoA is what got me started paying for literally everything on my credit card and then paying that off at the end of the month.

Best Friends posted:

We got a starter that got going enough to use the week before quarantine, life saver.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Yeah BoA is what got me started paying for literally everything on my credit card and then paying that off at the end of the month.

I tell any person who will listen to do this and just use your debit card as an ATM card. A compromised credit card is 1000% easier to deal with than a compromised debit card.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Nick Soapdish posted:

I tell any person who will listen to do this and just use your debit card as an ATM card. A compromised credit card is 1000% easier to deal with than a compromised debit card.

Life lessons learned. Thank you

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dr. Oz, still a massive snake oil selling piece of poo poo
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1250807416872189952

Jarmak posted:

:same:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 16, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Handsome Ralph posted:

We are slaves to capitalism and people gotta die for it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yes one dead child out of any given classroom of 33 students totally reasonable price to pay to be able to sit down at Denny's or get a haircut or whatever

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Handsome Ralph posted:

:same:

Hey 21 NYC public school teachers have died from the Rona but yeah let's re-open the schools

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/us/new-york-teacher-deaths-coronavirus/index.html

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

Wasn't getting a check with Trump's name on it a guarantee to have it bounce?

Fun fact: his signature will be on the memo line along with the real memo content (Stimulus Check or whatever they're calling it).

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

man, maybe that blind eastern european lady was right about obama being the last president

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Related,
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1250829336007127042

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woofer posted:

We are slaves to capitalism and people gotta die for it.

They will gleefully sacrifice themselves for it. I cannot stress how loving strange I find this world

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yes one dead child out of any given classroom of 33 students totally reasonable price to pay to be able to sit down at Denny's or get a haircut or whatever

It's even more messed up than that. Total enrollment of k-12 students is about 55 million. If we assumed that opening schools cost even an extra .01% of just school kids we'd have more deaths than US Combat deaths in Afghanistan.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hey 21 NYC public school teachers have died from the Rona but yeah let's re-open the schools

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/us/new-york-teacher-deaths-coronavirus/index.html

They people who are screaming the most don't consider them real americans hth

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

It's even more messed up than that. Total enrollment of k-12 students is about 55 million. If we assumed that opening schools cost even an extra .01% of just school kids we'd have more deaths than US Combat deaths in Afghanistan.

If this is a *~*war on an invisible enemy*~* then I think everybody should at least get the GI Bill.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Height of post 9/11 recruitment bonuses for all? We are all fighting this invisible enemy together after all

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I worked in a preschool classroom briefly as part of an internship a couple of years ago, and the thought of even one of those kids dying from this chills me to my core. "Only" 2-3% what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Woofer posted:

If this is a *~*war on an invisible enemy*~* then I think everybody should at least get the GI Bill.

Stravag posted:

Height of post 9/11 recruitment bonuses for all? We are all fighting this invisible enemy together after all

sorry bubs, ur in america, like it or lump it.