Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I worked in a preschool classroom briefly as part of an internship a couple of years ago, and the thought of even one of those kids dying from this chills me to my core. "Only" 2-3% what the gently caress

One kid dies, it’s a tragedy. 2-3% (95% confidence interval) is a statistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
No child left behind?

No, child left behind.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Isn't one of the predictors of outcome the initial viral load? I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the initial viral load you'd find in a classroom would be loving catastrophic real fast.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

Isn't one of the predictors of outcome the initial viral load? I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the initial viral load you'd find in a classroom would be loving catastrophic real fast.

Is Oz a real doctor

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Defenestrategy posted:

It's even more messed up than that. Total enrollment of k-12 students is about 55 million. If we assumed that opening schools cost even an extra .01% of just school kids we'd have more deaths than US Combat deaths in Afghanistan.

those deaths didn't count, either

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dr. Oz, still a massive snake oil selling piece of poo poo
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1250807416872189952

:same:

Man I knew Poe's law was gonna come for Dr. Strangelove eventually but I didn't expect it to play out in public

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wait, 55 million? If you split Doctor Oz's numbers that's 1,375,000 dead kids.

Hand that motherfucker a shovel and start him digging at bayonet point.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dr. Oz, still a massive snake oil selling piece of poo poo
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1250807416872189952

This needs to be said in a Dr. Strangelove voice.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

killing a million kids to satiate the number's lust for blood

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not caring here posted:

3-4% difference between no school and school. So if 100,000 deaths are predicted with schools open, 96,000 deaths would be with schools closed, to use simple numbers.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

sorry bubs, ur in america, like it or lump it.

Ok but I’ll at least get a Purple Heart if I get it right?

It would still be more legit than the Purple Heart trump got.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Woofer posted:

It would still be more legit than the Purple Heart trump got.

Expand

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The death rate for kids is basically (maybe even actually) nil so when they say 2-3% they’re talking about the overall death rate for the population who would presumably become infected once kids become carriers and spread the virus to the vulnerable.

Still ghoulish but not anything different from what those freaks have been calling for since lockdowns started.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

not caring here posted:

BORN TO DIE
DISTANCING IS A gently caress
鬼神 Kill Em All 2020
I am fox news doctor man
1,375,000 DEAD CHILDREN

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fallom posted:

The death rate for kids is basically (maybe even actually) nil so when they say 2-3% they’re talking about the overall death rate for the population who would presumably become infected once kids become carriers and spread the virus to the vulnerable.

Still ghoulish but not anything different from what those freaks have been calling for since lockdowns started.

There is no justification for a doctor to say that opening schools and allowing for a 2-3% fatality in the middle of a pandemic is ok

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is no justification for a doctor to say that opening schools and allowing for a 2-3% fatality in the middle of a pandemic is ok

No poo poo, just wanted to clarify that the number isn’t referring to kids

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is Oz a real doctor
The campaigns to get his license revoked have proven fruitless, unfortunately.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fallom posted:

No poo poo, just wanted to clarify that the number isn’t referring to kids

Ya, but you cant "well from their perspective" this poo poo because it gives it credibility. Take a hard stance of "that poo poo is ghoulish", that way people might be on the fence about opening the country get that it's not ok.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is Oz a real doctor

cardiac surgeon

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's looking more and more like obesity is the main risk factor if you're otherwise healthy and surprisingly it turns out asthma doesn't matter.

nyt posted:

Early research on underlying health conditions associated with the virus has highlighted that obesity appears to be one of the most important predictors of severe cases of the coronavirus illness, but asthma does not.

New studies point to obesity as the most significant risk factor, after only older age, for patients being hospitalized with Covid-19, the illness caused by the virus. Some 42 percent of American adults — nearly 80 million people — live with obesity. Young adults with obesity appear to be at particular risk, studies show.

The research is preliminary, and not peer reviewed, but it buttresses anecdotal reports from doctors who say they have been struck by how many seriously ill younger patients of theirs with obesity are otherwise healthy.

For people with asthma, the outbreak of a disease that can lead to respiratory failure was particularly worrisome. Many health organizations have cautioned that asthmatics are most likely at higher risk for severe illness if they get the virus.

But data released this month by New York State shows that, only about five percent of Covid-19 deaths in New York were of people who were known to also have asthma, a relatively modest amount. Nearly eight percent of the U.S. population — close to 25 million people — has asthma, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The research into the affects of asthma at this early stage is minimal and not always consistent. A recent commentary published in Lancet by a group of European researchers called it “striking” that asthma appeared to be underrepresented as a secondary health problem associated with Covid-19, and anecdotal evidence supports that observation.

“We’re not seeing a lot of patients with asthma,” said Dr. Bushra Mina, a pulmonary and critical care physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, which has treated more than 800 Covid cases. The more common risk factors, he added, are “morbid obesity, diabetes and chronic heart disease.”

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Midjack posted:

BORN TO DIE
DISTANCING IS A gently caress
鬼神 Kill Em All 2020
I am fox news doctor man
1,375,000 DEAD CHILDREN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Q9SwfP2JA

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I’m from Fox News and I say kill ‘em all!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
USAA has reversed course, is no longer applying any stimulus towards debts, and is sending money to those already affected by the now canceled policy.

That's a good move, imo.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

USAA has reversed course, is no longer applying any stimulus towards debts, and is sending money to those already affected by the now canceled policy.

That's a good move, imo.

I imagine Navy Fed was licking their chops at the prospect of everyone jumping ship from USAA>

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/02/politics/donald-trump-purple-heart/index.html

Trump gifted Purple Heart, says he 'always wanted’ one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hekk posted:

I imagine Navy Fed was licking their chops at the prospect of everyone jumping ship from USAA>

Still thinking about doing it

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fallom posted:

Still thinking about doing it

Speaking of USAA, I have my Roth with them and they are selling that portion of their business to Charles Schwab. Not sure if I should stick with that since I only used USAA financial since I had insurance with them since 2006.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah I'm also not sure what to do with that. I know basically dick about investments and how to sift through the marketing poo poo. I've also got two or three 401ks I should probably roll into my current employer's.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Speaking of USAA, I have my Roth with them and they are selling that portion of their business to Charles Schwab. Not sure if I should stick with that since I only used USAA financial since I had insurance with them since 2006.

Vanguard has lower expense ratios iirc. I use them for my Roth.

You can even track it from your USAA dashboard.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 16, 2020

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I probably would have switched by now if NFCU had as nice of an app and web interface as USAA does. That and USAA also offers a lot of "one stop shop" services in one platform that NFCU does not, which is nice at times.

Although with them recently selling the trading and investment platforms to third parties, it's a reminder that while they are good for some things, USAA really is just a traditional bank with a corporate profit motive vs. a credit union.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Man, the Governors are really loving sick of Donnie's happytalk bullshit.

https://twitter.com/CrainsChicago/status/1250848248694177792

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/1250848080351682562/photo/1

I mean, that's a complete political clusterfuck of states banding together to give themselves collective cover.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 16, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not saying this is starting to look a bit like the beginning Balkanization in America, but uh, yeah- isn't this the starting premise if every American Dystopian fiction ever?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm not saying this is starting to look a bit like the beginning Balkanization in America, but uh, yeah- isn't this the starting premise if every American Dystopian fiction ever?

I know I've been thinking of the Jericho TV show a lot over the last month.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I wonder what the chud got it for

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

I mean, that's a complete political clusterfuck of states banding together to give themselves collective cover.

Does the alliance have a catchy name?

I'm thinking 'Northern States Alliance (NSA)'

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

FrozenVent posted:

No child left behind?

No, child left behind!

This didn't get nearly enough love.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's looking more and more like obesity is the main risk factor if you're otherwise healthy and surprisingly it turns out asthma doesn't matter.

Chinese bioweapon specifically tailored to kill americans confirmed!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

If they start calling themselves the "Industrial States of America" that's when you know to start investing in Zeppelin futures

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm thinking it's more like how there ended up being thirteen "commonwealths" in Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm thinking it's more like how there ended up being thirteen "commonwealths" in Fallout.

8 megacities, you gently caress.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 16, 2020