Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Money showed up, yay.

Okay 2 more questions -

1) Do I still earn interest on my Questrade-held TFSA (ie.., if I don't actually invest it in anything)

2) How do I actually go about buying ETFs/stocks with my TFSA funds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah man you get a great rate without investing in anything, you'd be way up on us for this year.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cyril Sneer posted:

Money showed up, yay.

Okay 2 more questions -

1) Do I still earn interest on my Questrade-held TFSA (ie.., if I don't actually invest it in anything)

2) How do I actually go about buying ETFs/stocks with my TFSA funds?

1) no, not unless you buy something like PSA

2) Here's a walkthrough for you

I personally use market orders and have never had any issues but if you want to be absolutely careful you can use limit orders.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Cold on a Cob posted:

1) no, not unless you buy something like PSA

2) Here's a walkthrough for you

I personally use market orders and have never had any issues but if you want to be absolutely careful you can use limit orders.

Awesome link, thanks!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Thoughts on buying Air Canada stock? :thunk:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cyril Sneer posted:

Thoughts on buying Air Canada stock? :thunk:

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1246177536452767744

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1246193229546033152

Extrapolate

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I just read that as "wait a bit longer"

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Any single stock is a huge gamble right now.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Square Peg posted:

Any single stock is a huge gamble right now.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Truth.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Don't worry I'm not actually going to dump my life savings into AC stock :v:

That being said, I do have a nice pile of cash that I'd like to invest so I am curious what people think of the current situation.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Unless you think an investment will not be negatively effected by a record level of unemployment and sudden cratering of demand across almost all sectors, it is likely not the time to buy that thing. They are sure as hell not priced into the market right now because literally nobody knows what the results of the current situation will look like.

There are a lot of people trading like this is a blip, which is likely holding things steadier than they have any right to be.

You'd basically be betting on how you think the government will respond, because without their input the airlines will collapse or be heavily crippled. The same holds true of a lot of things right now.

Anyone who tells you that they know what a good investment is right now is a liar.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

Don't worry I'm not actually going to dump my life savings into AC stock :v:

That being said, I do have a nice pile of cash that I'd like to invest so I am curious what people think of the current situation.

If I was a Canadian investor just entering the market right now, and didn't need the cash in the next 5 years (in which case I wouldn't enter the market), I would put it into XGRO/VGRO or XBAL/VBAL, probably contributing 1/8 of the total amount every week for the next 2 months so I don't get caught buying on a pump.

I'm no expert but I expect NA markets to start consistently trending up around August.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

If I was a Canadian investor just entering the market right now, and didn't need the cash in the next 5 years (in which case I wouldn't enter the market)

Not sure I follow here. I don't *have* to enter the market right now. My situation is that I've just been squirreling away money into a "regular" savings account for years and years, and figured I should probably do something better with it. My naive thought is "market down -> invest now".

VelociBacon posted:

I would put it into XGRO/VGRO or XBAL/VBAL, probably contributing 1/8 of the total amount every week for the next 2 months so I don't get caught buying on a pump.

This is kind of what I'm thinking of doing.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Not sure I follow here. I don't *have* to enter the market right now. My situation is that I've just been squirreling away money into a "regular" savings account for years and years, and figured I should probably do something better with it. My naive thought is "market down -> invest now".

I think if you invest now, ignore it for 5 years, and then check your account, you'll be just fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm having a hard time figuring this out and google isn't being very helpful. I'm trying to add futures for a watchlist in IQ Edge (QT) but I can't find any tickers that work, including ESmini stuff like ESM0. Anyone know if this is possible? I'd find it weird if I can't track futures in this software.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

VelociBacon posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring this out and google isn't being very helpful. I'm trying to add futures for a watchlist in IQ Edge (QT) but I can't find any tickers that work, including ESmini stuff like ESM0. Anyone know if this is possible? I'd find it weird if I can't track futures in this software.

Questrade doesn't support futures. Futures trade on different exchanges and the data doesn't come from the same place as stocks. Questrade isn't going to foot the bill for that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kal Torak posted:

Questrade doesn't support futures. Futures trade on different exchanges and the data doesn't come from the same place as stocks. Questrade isn't going to foot the bill for that.

Gotcha, thanks.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

how about this: I get paid more than I spend and the surplus currently goes in TFSAs and RRSPs. I guess what I'm saving for is a down payment, as unlikely as that feels in Vancouver. As I understand it, there is a limit of 35k for RRSP withdrawals for a first-time homebuyer. If I wipe out my TFSA on a down payment, though, that contribution room is gone forever. Should I be saving for a down payment in a regular, non-tax-sheltered account instead?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If you withdraw from your TFSA you get that contribution room back. You lose that room forever when you lose money to, say, a stock market crash.

And if you're saving up for a down payment you shouldn't be putting that money in the stock market anyway.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're looking to save to buy a place in the next 5 years I think the general recommendation is no stock market investment. Maybe GIC's but they might not offer much more than a good savings account rate. I understand that the first time homebuyer's thing is pretty useful so I'd be putting money into RRSP if I thought I was going to be buying a place (have to consider other factors like how likely you are to repay into the RRSP after removing the down payment and what your pension might look like etc).

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

If you're looking to save to buy a place in the next 5 years I think the general recommendation is no stock market investment. Maybe GIC's but they might not offer much more than a good savings account rate. I understand that the first time homebuyer's thing is pretty useful so I'd be putting money into RRSP if I thought I was going to be buying a place (have to consider other factors like how likely you are to repay into the RRSP after removing the down payment and what your pension might look like etc).

The HBP is a medium term loan from yourself. It doesn't really confer any real benefits beyond getting at the money that you've been putting away for retirement because you need that extra cash for the down payment right now, or you want to top up the down payment to get to 20%. While it's gone from your RRSP you won't be earning interest, so whatever your estimated rate of return was there is what you're paying in opportunity cost for the loan. I'd avoid using it if possible, but it might work for you.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

The HBP is a medium term loan from yourself. It doesn't really confer any real benefits beyond getting at the money that you've been putting away for retirement because you need that extra cash for the down payment right now, or you want to top up the down payment to get to 20%. While it's gone from your RRSP you won't be earning interest, so whatever your estimated rate of return was there is what you're paying in opportunity cost for the loan. I'd avoid using it if possible, but it might work for you.

Nah it's great. You don't have to pay the tax on that RRSP money you take out, and the interest you earn is the lack of interest you would be paying on the larger mortgage, and there's no tax on that! Penny saved is a penny earned.

Obviously don't buy more house than you need because of it, but using the HBP is pretty much objectively better than not using it. I'm kicking myself for not dumping my down payment into my RRSP, taking the giant tax return, waiting a year, and then pulling it back out tax free.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 16, 2020

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

You pay taxes on that money when you repay the HBP loan. Your future RRSP contributions get diverted into reducing the outstanding balance instead of reducing your taxable income.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Yeah, maybe I'm crazy, but I thought I remember reading an assessment that HBP is, at best, net zero.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Dollar for dollar borrowing from your RRSP is better, assuming you reinvested your refund.

To be more explicit:
25k into a TFSA minus 25k to buy a house = 0.
25k into an RRSP plus invested refund (let's say 5k for shits and giggles) - 25k = 5k still invested and making sick gains (or suffering covid losses these days).

Edit: this also assumes you would be paying back the amount into your TFSA if you withdraw from it instead.

All that said the main thing is to try to get 20% down by any means necessary. Last time I bought property I withdrew from both my RRSPs and TFSAs to achieve this.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 16, 2020

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Maybe I'm drinking the koolaid, but this guy seems smarter than me and I've read this paper twice:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3240046 (free download, no login required)

(edit: HBP starts on page 13, although its all gold)

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 16, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sputnik posted:

Maybe I'm drinking the koolaid, but this guy seems smarter than me and I've read this paper twice:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3240046 (free download, no login required)

(edit: HBP starts on page 13, although its all gold)

I can't really afford to dig in too much and from scanning I'm even sure much of it I agree with, but this part is very questionable:

Someone's never had to struggle to buy a home in a hot market. When $500 can cost you over 10k on a 500k property (pretty reasonable these days) I think dipping into your RRSPs in that case would be worth it.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

You pay taxes on that money when you repay the HBP loan. Your future RRSP contributions get diverted into reducing the outstanding balance instead of reducing your taxable income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...uyers-plan.html

"Repayments do not affect your RRSP deduction limit."

Obviously you can't double dip on the money you repay, you already go the tax back on that once, but you don't lose RRSP contribution room due to repayments. Ideally this leaves a bunch of RRSP room to use later in life when income rates are higher.

Also, if the option is HBP vs wiping out TFSA, HBP wins hands down. Leave that money in the TFSA to grow tax-free.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Square Peg posted:

"Repayments do not affect your RRSP deduction limit."

That is not what he said. He said that if you earn $1000 and earmark it for long term savings, you are instead rebuilding your old nest egg, not building it bigger.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Sputnik posted:

That is not what he said. He said that if you earn $1000 and earmark it for long term savings, you are instead rebuilding your old nest egg, not building it bigger.

Ok, but I'd argue a house (or portion of a house) qualifies as long term savings anyway.

And regardless:

Square Peg posted:

if the option is HBP vs wiping out TFSA, HBP wins hands down. Leave that money in the TFSA to grow tax-free.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Yeah, there are places for it and the benefits are more on the margins. For me it was helpful in clearing out a small "hard sell" mutual fund and a locked in RRSP with a former employer without any hassles or fees.

I just wanted to make clear that you're not getting one over on the CRA, you are going to be paying back your loan from your RRSP with after tax money and getting no tax breaks while you're doing it.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

well, my initial question about whether it's bad to use a TFSA for this is quite conclusively answered, and I'm many years off from getting together 20% of a vancouver property with anything built on it, so I guess I'll continue to split my savings 50/50 between TFSA and RRSP until I run out of room on one of them. Thanks, folks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Do you all use Questrade for stocks and options? I have an automated purchase set up for TD e-series funds but I wouldn't mind playing around with some individual stocks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Do you all use Questrade for stocks and options? I have an automated purchase set up for TD e-series funds but I wouldn't mind playing around with some individual stocks.

Yes but if you have access to ThinkorSwim via TD it's regarded as having better tools. Also more people use it in the states than IQ Edge so you can import watchlists, get more help with the software, etc.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

Yes but if you have access to ThinkorSwim via TD it's regarded as having better tools. Also more people use it in the states than IQ Edge so you can import watchlists, get more help with the software, etc.
OK thanks. One other question. I have a TFSA with my current financial institution. If I set up an account with Questrade, do I set up another TFSA or what should I do?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

OK thanks. One other question. I have a TFSA with my current financial institution. If I set up an account with Questrade, do I set up another TFSA or what should I do?

Entirely depends on what you want to use the account for. You're allowed to have as many TFSA accounts as you like, they just care about the total contributions (they're cumulative between accounts). You can't day trade in a TFSA or the CRA will audit you.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You normally open a new TFSA with them and then have them move the funds over without it counting as a withdrawal or contribution and then close the first account. Nothing says you have to do that though and you can just have the old TFSA and new TFSA forever. Like ^^^, the contribution room is all that matters. In practice having multiple accounts is harder to track and keep balanced though. One use case for this might be if you have one TFSA for ETFs and another that's high interest savings.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

Entirely depends on what you want to use the account for. You're allowed to have as many TFSA accounts as you like, they just care about the total contributions (they're cumulative between accounts). You can't day trade in a TFSA or the CRA will audit you.
I'm not planning to day trade or do anything crazy with it.

xtal posted:

You normally open a new TFSA with them and then have them move the funds over without it counting as a withdrawal or contribution and then close the first account. Nothing says you have to do that though and you can just have the old TFSA and new TFSA forever. Like ^^^, the contribution room is all that matters. In practice having multiple accounts is harder to track and keep balanced though. One use case for this might be if you have one TFSA for ETFs and another that's high interest savings.
I'm basically using my current TFSA as a high interest savings account so the Questrade one would be the only one with any equities in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Unsurprisingly transfers are going WAY slower than usual, so expect that.

Also FYI you can buy $PSA if you want to just hold "savings" in your investment account for simplicity. It may not be paying interest comparable to your HISA though.