Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That and from a practical perspective people will fight to keep policies that they personally benefit from even if they supposedly hate big government - see, the Alaska PFD.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I have a question about banks seizing the stimulus money. Obviously creditors shouldn't size the money, but I've been reading that many of these cases involve a direct deposit going into an overdrawn account. How exactly would the banks not take the money? I'm sure they've happy to do it, but even if they weren't, how would that work? I've been 200 bucks overdrawn in my checking account when I was younger and I just can't picture how you send the money through to an account without getting the account out of the hole. I just don't see how technically you could push the entire stimulus money into an account that's overdrawn without having it first getting the account out of debt. They could make a totally separate account, but even if a bank wanted to I think that would be illegal. Thoughts?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

kaworu posted:

God, I loving hate and loathe facebook with a deep, fiery loving passion

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/facebook-will-warn-people-who-like-or-react-to-fake-coronavirus-news.html

So, Facebook HAS THE ABILITY to do this. They know and probably log where you went, how long you spent there, which videos you watched and which ones you may have been interested in enough to click in but did not watch, and so on, and so on....

Here is what bothers the gently caress out of me: Facebook has clearly had the power to do JUST THIS THING this for quite a few years, now - that is to say, aggressively address misinformation and propaganda being put out by individuals both withing our country and without. Some of the misinformation might even be well-intentioned, but that still should not happen. The point stands. I'm just sort of in shock that all along, Facebook has had it within them to specifically look at and address all the horrible, hateful, lying, negative-willed crap that winds up in Facebook arguments and in some of the more hateful groups. It is INCUMBENT upon Facebook to foster the kind of environment where healthy discourse and discussion flows, and nobody even thinks about making bad-faith arguments or trolls. It's not "the end of the rainbow", you just need halfway-decent moderators who actually do their part, and Facebook can MORE than afford that.

The more I think about it, the more I realize what an absolute loving crime it is that they do not treat political untruths and political propaganda like information about Covid19 - meaning, it's critical information and lives are very likely riding on what the answer is! But lives are ALWAYS on the line! If Facebook had done its job back in 2016 and been even REMOTELY COMPETENT we would be living in a different world now, and while there might still be a pandemic, the USA likely would NOT be the epicenter.

So yeah. Great that facebook is behaving responsible, but it's loving infuriating beyond words, too!

There is 0 reason for anyone to have a facebook and having one is directly fueling the ability for them to do whatever they want, unchecked. Scrub your account and delete it forever, believe me your life will be no different and you will have a better piece of mind knowing that one of the most evil companies of all time isn't using you for their initatives.

Koalas March posted:

Means testing is loving garbage. Just a recap of the bullshit I've been dealing with the past 30 days after getting laid off work:

Not eligible for UI in both states I've been working in, didn't make enough money
Made too much money for EBT
Not eligible for IRS stimulus

Not means testing related but more fun trivia:
Applied for 58 jobs on Indeed
Applied for 9 on ncworks

Now that the SBA is out of money I'm expecting a lot more layoffs and a lot more people falling through the cracks like me.

Also apparently if you went to the IRS website and it says it couldn't determine your eligibility, according to a Verge article, you're probably just ineligible.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/15/21222749/irs-coronavirus-get-my-payment-portal-payment-status-not-available-stimulus-explanation

Idk what state you live in but you should not be getting rejected for EBT (poo poo, even GA/Cash if you aren't getting qualified for UI benefits) especially if you told them you currently do not have any income. That's not how it works here at least.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jarmak posted:

I also think means testing is counter-productive to progressive goals because it others people who are eligible and breeds resentment between those who do and do not receive a benefit by playing into "welfare" or "hand-out" framing.

"college education is something that a prosperous country like the US should provide for all of it's citizens" is a much better message than "if you make more than "x" you have to pay for your kid's college and the college of anyone making less than x", regardless of who "deserves" help. By presenting an issue as a community effort instead of helping the less fortunate you short circuit the entire arguement about who deserves what.

The tax code is where the means testing should be applied.

Yes to ALL of this! Tax the rich to cover UBI and Healthcare but they also get it is very loving reasonable.

I don't think billionaires should exist but at this point I am very very much more for helping out the poor, working and middle class than punishing the rich. And while they might view higher taxes (as if most them pay enough already lmao) as a punishment, frankly it's just them doing the absolute least to keep our society, which they benefit greatly from, functioning and healthier.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nonsense posted:

People are wearing sneakers over their face. Hope nobody gets mad at them for doing it though.

Also a wonderful medical researcher has potentially developed an N99 mask and I hope it works out.

N100 masks already exist, I think they’re not used in medical settings because it’s hard to communicate and the filtration only goes one way (the patient isn’t protected from the mask user).

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

VitalSigns posted:

ok but they all said they would do this if the Treasury made it a rule that they have to, so the claim that it's just too hard is obviously full of poo poo, they just don't want to

E: also they already do it with SS because that's the law so clearly they are lying about not being able to do it

Inferior Third Season posted:

The split between balance and available balance exists on the positive side. If it doesn't exist on the negative side, they purposefully inserted that functionality at some point, as it is more complex to do that than to not do that.

But it is not very relevant what the technical side of it is - they have said they're taking the money on purpose, and Mnuchin has given them the green light.

OK, I'm convinced.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lol a OANN poll

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

1glitch0 posted:

I have a question about banks seizing the stimulus money. Obviously creditors shouldn't size the money, but I've been reading that many of these cases involve a direct deposit going into an overdrawn account. How exactly would the banks not take the money? I'm sure they've happy to do it, but even if they weren't, how would that work? I've been 200 bucks overdrawn in my checking account when I was younger and I just can't picture how you send the money through to an account without getting the account out of the hole. I just don't see how technically you could push the entire stimulus money into an account that's overdrawn without having it first getting the account out of debt. They could make a totally separate account, but even if a bank wanted to I think that would be illegal. Thoughts?

Banks specifically have the ability to allow this with certain deposits (and have to by law). SS and other types of support payments (I think some child support, but I am not 100% sure). They would appear as available even if the account is negative.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol a OANN poll

exactly. his internals must be loving bad if he is using the literal nazi channel

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

1glitch0 posted:

There are types of payments where the bank cannot take it as part of payment, typically things like Social Security. So in your case, where you have -200 balance, and deposit your 1200 stimulus, what a should happen is your balance will be +1000, 1200 available for withdrawal. Basically saying that from some deposit sources, the debtor has to proactively pay down the debt, vs the bank getting first bite, like your paycheck or other deposits. The CARES act did not put that protection in for the 1200$ payment, and banks were being cagey about gently caress you we get paid first, bitch.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

Idk what state you live in but you should not be getting rejected for EBT (poo poo, even GA/Cash if you aren't getting qualified for UI benefits) especially if you told them you currently do not have any income. That's not how it works here at least.

I'm in NC. I actually applied like maybe a week before I lost my job because they cut my hours and I was fired by my phone interview, and I did tell her. I'm wondering if it isn't on my paperwork though because this has a completely different caseworker on it, I was reassigned and just got the denial and reassigned notice this morning. they're both dated over a week ago. 🙄

I'm going to reapply, because yeah something got hosed up in the shuffle. It's just hilarious to have a mountain of paperwork from 3 different agencies denying me. And by hilarious I mean incredibly frustrating

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ratspeaker posted:

I was wondering if it was the lighting in the Rose Garden making it look different than usual.

It was like that in the briefing room too. And in both everything else looked normal even his orange face. His hair just appears to have turned white literally in one day. I know it's the least of our concerns, but I'm just baffled.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Uncle Wemus posted:

Thanks Oprah

You can think her for "Dr." Phil also.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

exactly. his internals must be loving bad if he is using the literal nazi channel
Also the Fox News polls are not in his favor these days which you know drives him nuts

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also the Fox News polls are not in his favor these days which you know drives him nuts

neither is rassuman or whatever.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

It was like that in the briefing room too. And in both everything else looked normal even his orange face. His hair just appears to have turned white literally in one day. I know it's the least of our concerns, but I'm just baffled.
probably the regular makeup/stylists aren't allowed in anymore due to infection concerns

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Koalas March posted:

I'm in NC. I actually applied like maybe a week before I lost my job because they cut my hours and I was fired by my phone interview, and I did tell her. I'm wondering if it isn't on my paperwork though because this has a completely different caseworker on it, I was reassigned and just got the denial and reassigned notice this morning. they're both dated over a week ago. 🙄

I'm going to reapply, because yeah something got hosed up in the shuffle. It's just hilarious to have a mountain of paperwork from 3 different agencies denying me. And by hilarious I mean incredibly frustrating

Yeah, reapply now that your circumstances have changed. A re-evaluation should be done and at least here in NJ the assumption is mostly presumed eligibility and a waiver of almost all of the previous requirements for EBT/GA/EA for the time being.

Also there is a new round of stimulus money going to states/cities/federal programs so there should be an infusion of new funds to assist you. After you reach out to your welfare offices reach out to your community development or economic development offices (again not knowing how yours works, where I work all three offices are in the same building) so see if you can qualify for any of those assistances (we have rent assistance, food programs etc).

You should not be experiencing this many closed doors, there was so much money infused into communities, you not getting assistance is nothing more than gross mismanagement on their end.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

winterwerefox posted:

There are types of payments where the bank cannot take it as part of payment, typically things like Social Security. So in your case, where you have -200 balance, and deposit your 1200 stimulus, what a should happen is your balance will be +1000, 1200 available for withdrawal. Basically saying that from some deposit sources, the debtor has to proactively pay down the debt, vs the bank getting first bite, like your paycheck or other deposits. The CARES act did not put that protection in for the 1200$ payment, and banks were being cagey about gently caress you we get paid first, bitch.

Huh, well the more you know. I did not know they actually had a way of doing that. All my experience has just been banks having a delay in the account of debts or checks for a few days. Thanks!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

TheAgent posted:

probably the regular makeup/stylists aren't allowed in anymore due to infection concerns

lol does he not dye it like a regular person? It would take at least month in that case for it to turn totally white. Is his hair just spray painted like his face every day? Again, I know it's not important, but I need to know the answer to this! It is stuck in my head! It has wrinkled my brain that just no one mentions it. Like if he came out today with an Abe Lincoln beard would... it just go unnoticed?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

neither is rassuman or whatever.

I think missing in the SA discussions of the election is that GOP internal polling is crisis-level but they resolved four years ago to just sail the ship off the waterfall for lack of any more politically convenient option

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think missing in the SA discussions of the election is that GOP internal polling is crisis-level but they resolved four years ago to just sail the ship off the waterfall for lack of any more politically convenient option

i mean sure. its a mix of most of the folks being either nutter true believers or dead eyed opportunists who are sunk cost and dumbasses.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A 52% approval rating in NC. Wow. Trump sure has this on lock now.

Edit: like, putting aside ONAN that isn't a great place to be on for a reddish swing state.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 16, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Tibalt posted:

Among OANN viewers. :laffo:

nerox
May 20, 2001

smoobles posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1250800470500786178

The Paycheck Protection Program is out of money, and our failed government can't figure out how to continue it. Expect a surge in small busines closures and layoff spikes this month and next, as small companies burn their cash reserves and fire everyone.

Yay!!

I applied for PPP at the very first day I could. My loan was just approved yesterday.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tibalt posted:

Edit: like, putting aside ONAN that isn't a great place to be on for a reddish swing state.

other places are showing biden slightly ahead and tillis under water as with the other chud.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nerox posted:

I applied for PPP at the very first day I could. My loan was just approved yesterday.

my dads boss got it and got lucky so they are covered.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1250844159684030468?s=20

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1250846134786015233

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Womp womp

Meanwhile the Big Business CEOs and Executives are pissed at Trump and are telling him to gently caress off with his talk about “reopening” the economy.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly-coronavirus-special-edition/2020/04/15/closing-time-488927

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/PaulLidicul/status/1250809586359156738

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

How the gently caress does he remember Drew Henson

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1250848441367920641?s=19

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Dimon is a piece of hog poo poo, but JPMorgan has said they wouldn't do it, saying they won't do it of course doesn't mean they wouldn't try, but what's probably worse is they were the only institution to outright say they wouldn't do it.

oh ok well swap in one of the other bank presidents into my post then

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Womp womp

Meanwhile the Big Business CEOs and Executives are pissed at Trump and are telling him to gently caress off with his talk about “reopening” the economy.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly-coronavirus-special-edition/2020/04/15/closing-time-488927

course they are. sure many are ghouls but if a ton of folks die, that they are hosed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kaworu posted:

God, I loving hate and loathe facebook with a deep, fiery loving passion

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/facebook-will-warn-people-who-like-or-react-to-fake-coronavirus-news.html

So, Facebook HAS THE ABILITY to do this. They know and probably log where you went, how long you spent there, which videos you watched and which ones you may have been interested in enough to click in but did not watch, and so on, and so on....

Here is what bothers the gently caress out of me: Facebook has clearly had the power to do JUST THIS THING this for quite a few years, now - that is to say, aggressively address misinformation and propaganda being put out by individuals both withing our country and without. Some of the misinformation might even be well-intentioned, but that still should not happen. The point stands. I'm just sort of in shock that all along, Facebook has had it within them to specifically look at and address all the horrible, hateful, lying, negative-willed crap that winds up in Facebook arguments and in some of the more hateful groups. It is INCUMBENT upon Facebook to foster the kind of environment where healthy discourse and discussion flows, and nobody even thinks about making bad-faith arguments or trolls. It's not "the end of the rainbow", you just need halfway-decent moderators who actually do their part, and Facebook can MORE than afford that.

The more I think about it, the more I realize what an absolute loving crime it is that they do not treat political untruths and political propaganda like information about Covid19 - meaning, it's critical information and lives are very likely riding on what the answer is! But lives are ALWAYS on the line! If Facebook had done its job back in 2016 and been even REMOTELY COMPETENT we would be living in a different world now, and while there might still be a pandemic, the USA likely would NOT be the epicenter.

So yeah. Great that facebook is behaving responsible, but it's loving infuriating beyond words, too!
AOC brilliantly nailed Zuckerberg on exactly this point last year. When he said they weren't capable of screening political ads for misinformation she asked "oh so you'll break the law then, because it's illegal for you to broadcast an ad with an incorrect election date" and he had to admit that no they'd fact-check ads for lies that would get them in legal trouble, so they are perfectly capable of it they just don't want to because that would hurt revenue

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving lol Trump's gonna keep this screenshot for a later tweet over this one

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey remember the church in Louisiana that has refused to close and keeps holding in person services?

https://twitter.com/jilliancyork/status/1250848404030337029
https://twitter.com/jilliancyork/status/1250848407020847105

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/coronavirus/article_aaa0b8d8-7ff8-11ea-a3d0-f783addab65b.html

EDIT: Lmao, this article is loving amazing

quote:

Wittenbrink, who is 59, is serving as the local counsel for Roy Moore, the former Alabama Supreme Court chief justice and Senate candidate who is helping represent the Rev. Tony Spell and his church in an expected legal fight over Gov. John Bel Edwards' social distancing restrictions on religious gatherings.

Spell introduced Wittenbrink before he spoke briefly to the pastor's congregation during the April 2 news conference and rally discussing the church's planned legal fight with Moore's aid. Moore also attended the event and spoke.

Spell's fight against the order, along with a handful of other religious leaders nationally against similar restrictions, has attracted worldwide attention. He has been charged with six misdemeanor counts of violating Edwards' orders.

Spell, who has faced criticism over his stand, has made several provocative comments about the virus and the resulting controversy, including telling TMZ that true Christians do not mind dying from the virus but from "fear living in fear, cowardice of their convictions."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just deserts

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Welp, here we go.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250851143363805185?s=19

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
please let your base infect themselves as much as possible, tia

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wait till they try and go

"Why won't the states get on board! That's it were cutting PPE and any im transit ppe gets seized under the Alien and Sedition Act of 1798

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Koalas March posted:

Also apparently if you went to the IRS website and it says it couldn't determine your eligibility, according to a Verge article, you're probably just ineligible.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/15/21222749/irs-coronavirus-get-my-payment-portal-payment-status-not-available-stimulus-explanation

please don't make me panic any more about this than i already am

I meet every standard they demand for eligibility, I don't understand what the gently caress is going on.