Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

How the gently caress do you even furlough an independent contractor?

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

People in the last 5 years I can think of that TNA used better than WWE (Sting, Joe and Christian go without saying, but they're lifetime achievements here):

WWE brought the Dudley Boyz back for a forgettable nostalgia run and never took advantage of Bully Ray's promo skills.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

ThePariah posted:

WWE brought the Dudley Boyz back for a forgettable nostalgia run and never took advantage of Bully Ray's promo skills.

They never took advantage of his promo skills from ECW the first time around either.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

WWE labels it’s talent whatever designation benefits WWE the most, switching it situationally.

Especially funny/sad given the governor's memo is worded such that wrestlers shouldn't be able to perform because they're not employees

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

I work in IT for a billion dollar retailer and we "furloughed" some of our support contractors by cutting their hours in half. Thankfully independent contractors can receive covid bucks if they're furloughed but that wouldn't normally be the case. This is why contractors are normally terminated as opposed to furloughed. Furloughing a contractor is virtually the same for them as being terminated under non-covid times. There is definitely a question of whether or not WWE can legally furlough their independent contractors, but someone would have to challenge them on it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Professional wrestlers are insane workaholics with no concern for their own well-being. They are a monstrous oligarch's dream workforce.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They asked Mike Chioda "do you wanna quit?" and he said yes.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think “on-air talent” means announcers and interviewers, who are probably employees given that Mox gets his health insurance via Renee’s WWE gig.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Dacap posted:

WWE labels it’s talent whatever designation benefits WWE the most, switching it situationally.

Schrodinger's 1099

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Refuse to pay their downside guarantee and then tell them to take it to court if they have a problem and laugh evilly as you walk away?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Has anyone ever seen a WWE Contract? Like the actual one? I assume they're a myth and it's all Vince handshake deals

maybe the Brock court docs?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I think “on-air talent” means announcers and interviewers, who are probably employees given that Mox gets his health insurance via Renee’s WWE gig.

Yes, announcers and interviewers are employees and they have so many that they can probably furlough a bunch without anyone realizing it!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

J-Ro posted:

Awesome Kong, Gail Kim, Mickie James & Victoria could probably make that list, too.

Chris Harris wasn't a joke before he became Braden Walker.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Hirez posted:

Has anyone ever seen a WWE Contract? Like the actual one? I assume they're a myth and it's all Vince handshake deals

Edit: nvm, lets say they dont exist lol

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

now I'm picturing WWE contracts are signed where you don't get a copy, have to sign on site in front of a referee; and all contracts are held in fortress like Titan Tower dangling in a MITB briefcase behind Vince's desk and T-Rex skull

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its like college diplomas. WWE keeps the main copy but they give you one of those wallet sized ones.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

and it just says your shoot name, independent contractor, and a checkmark box pre-checked

and now has Essential Employee scribbled on

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its got other pages but its laminated and if you tamper with it you're in trouble.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

We have seen several talent contracts, Brock, Shane, HHH and a few others.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hirez posted:

Jim Cornette has seen hundreds of them and they had a Lovecraftian effect on him. Not in terms of having his mind blown by unfathomable abominations beyond human ken, just that he's a huge loving racist piece of poo poo.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Jim Cornette has seen hundreds of them and they had a Lovecraftian effect on him. Not in terms of having his mind blown by unfathomable abominations beyond human ken, just that he's a huge loving racist piece of poo poo.

The Slur Out Of Space

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kendo Kashin did an interview with Tokyo Sports saying he can't come back to Japan and he doesn't know where he should be now that he's lost his job. He also thinks he was fired because he did an interview last week saying how bad it was in Florida with the coronavirus but I'm not sure if anyone in WWE is reading Tokyo Sports and reporting to Vince.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kendo Kashin did an interview with Tokyo Sports saying he can't come back to Japan and he doesn't know where he should be now that he's lost his job. He also thinks he was fired because he did an interview last week saying how bad it was in Florida with the coronavirus but I'm not sure if anyone in WWE is reading Tokyo Sports and reporting to Vince.

This new interview, (not the one that supposedly got him fired), can't help WWE's plans to open NXT Japan.

Coz it says that WWE fired a Japanese bloke, thus having him lose his residence permit/work visa at a time when he is not allowed to return home, and has nowhere else to go. Which will not resonate well with Japanese fans, or indeed the Japanese wrestlers they would want to hire.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think any plans for international expansion has probably been kicked into the long grass right now anyway to be honest.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Not sure of this source, so grain of salt, but:

https://twitter.com/WrestleVotes/status/1250507915867414529

El Generico fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 17, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

BrigadierSensible posted:

This new interview, (not the one that supposedly got him fired), can't help WWE's plans to open NXT Japan.

Coz it says that WWE fired a Japanese bloke, thus having him lose his residence permit/work visa at a time when he is not allowed to return home, and has nowhere else to go. Which will not resonate well with Japanese fans, or indeed the Japanese wrestlers they would want to hire.

And not just "a Japanese bloke" but a very well regarded wrestler and trainer who was the Junior Ace of All Japan and held AJPW and NJPW titles.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You know, I was thinking about how all this talent got cut in order to save a few bucks, and then you look at the senior players in the Australian national rugby union team like Michael Hooper and Kurtley Beale, whom, knowing that the ARU had taken a massive financial hit even before the Covid-19 restrictions kicked in, volunteered during pay negotiations to take a cut at least 65% of their salary so that the players on the other end of the scale of professional rugby, if they were to be hit financially, would have the blow considerably softened.

I wonder how much of a paycut the McMahons have taken during all this.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Edward Mass posted:

Chris Harris wasn't a joke before he became Braden Walker.

Yeah, but who's fault is that, really?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1251098842960969728?s=19

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

You get an email that says "we'll call you".

I'm sorry for Gallows and Anderson if they wanted to stay, but AJ Styles being sad fuels my heart. Dude's got great talent but he's such an rear end.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Blaming yourself for their fate instead of the awful company that caused it at the worst of times is definitely a normal thing to do.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It makes me wonder if there was any talent that WAS saved by an upper-card guy advocating for them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

It makes me wonder if there was any talent that WAS saved by an upper-card guy advocating for them.

:lol: nobody there cares enough to put themselves at risk for someone else, it's more likely people were saved by pulling a JTG and just not answering the phone

Which didn't work for the furloughed people who were informed via text

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

:lol: nobody there cares enough to put themselves at risk for someone else, it's more likely people were saved by pulling a JTG and just not answering the phone

Which didn't work for the furloughed people who were informed via text

I was thinking someone like Bryan sticking his ruined neck out for Gulak or something.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was thinking someone like Bryan sticking his ruined neck out for Gulak or something.

I actually had a similar thought thinking that IRS may have taken the furlough to save Bo Dallas's job

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Hirez posted:

Oh, lots, although the most recent ones are from SEC filings: https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/mookieghana-prowrestlingstatistics/wwe_contracts

The most recent one we have is Stephanie's from 2013, but going from how her subsequent contract amendments have been written up (pretty much just changing term length and her downside guarantee), it seems like the contracts haven't really been changing in the interim.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You get an email that says "we'll call you".

I'm sorry for Gallows and Anderson if they wanted to stay, but AJ Styles being sad fuels my heart. Dude's got great talent but he's such an rear end.

Not really seen much of Styles outside a ring. Why is he an rear end in a top hat?

I presume he's a republican and has expressed flat Earth views in the past.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

I presume he's a republican and has expressed flat Earth views in the past.

Spot on, plus also just search for AJ Styles and "The GAY Community?!" if you need further info.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean given his tone, it was something he had literally never heard of and he was apparently picturing a prancing hippie commune of people buttfucking in the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JoshLBarnett/status/1250992370251780099?s=20