Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

here read this if you are wondering exactly how bullshit the "it came from a lab" conspiracy is

for starters, if this virus was engineered they picked a trash candidate for their fuckery, the underlying function is poo poo for what the implied goal of such a hypothetical experiment would have been and anyone calling themselves a scientist would have started with something that actually loving worked decently

next, they found its grand daddy coronavirus in bats and then found its uncle coronavirus in illegally imported pangolins. If someone was using an illegal source of endangered loving pangolins as a loving virus test kitchen, they're dumb as poo poo because animal work in viruses uses a fuckload of animals and you aren't going to be poaching enough to sustain it nor would you get enough smuggled out undetected, nor would you provide a reliably consistent animal supply free of existing diseases that might gently caress with your program.

after that, they found the difference between the pangolin and bat viruses was the part that let the spiky bits bind to human cells so easily - not only is this the most mutable part of the virus, but exactly the part that would be most exposed to natural selection were it in, say, pangolins and constantly given access to human hosts.

they then went on to talk about the hypothetical of a laboratory accident, notably "what if this was being developed in a lab but escaped" but pointing out that had this been the case the hypothetical researchers had to have been loving around with nothing of use forever beforehand, publishing nothing of any intermediary science, and using dumb poo poo methods of developing samples which still would never have worked out because the virus as found in the wild clearly was influenced by natural selection - e.g. this thing kept getting thrown up against immune systems until something worked, then against another species until it worked, and then a random-rear end binding mutation made it stick to people.

The pangolin poo poo is really interesting because they point out that the bat virus is still the most similar to the roni overall, but there are specific chunks of the genome in the pangolin coronaviruses - namely the chunks governing the spiky bits - that bridge a good part of the gap. Natural selection works more like a rock in a stream than anything with agency but a good way of describing it is that they are fairly confident this passed through pangolins because the roni started in bats and picked up some key habits of highly successful viruses somewhere and the viruses they're finding in pangolins practices a good number of those key habits but not all of them - what they suggest happened was that it got into pangolins and kept testing door handles on the human immune system until it got supremely lucky. It's even likely it got a little lucky a few times before thanksgiving but because at the time it wasn't that great at making humans sick en masse nobody really noticed.

But yeah in order for this to have been doctored up in a lab they would have had to make decision after decision that defies any logical progress toward any conceivable goal aligned with the outcome to the point that xi almost certainly would have had them shot for wasting time and money loving around with nothing to show for it.

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

yer ol pawpaw survived the china wuhan flu on beans and potatoes

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Alpha Centauri posted:

any irish ancestors i have are weeping

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

they don't even use potatoes to make vodka, they use wheat or barley or whatever the gently caress

lots of vodka is made with potatoes

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Der Meister posted:

I disagree.

:shrug: it is what it is

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/BrianAbelTV/status/1250856954521681921

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"it's not from a lab because scientists are too smart to waste time or money"

Ok

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao I feel so bad for the non chuds in these states, gently caress

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chinatown posted:

the best vodka is made with potatoes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yeah this is what I was afraid Holcomb was talking about the other day

I guess in theory it can be a non stupid plan but it won't be

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1250702862184640512

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/AngieMaxwell1/status/1250299598347718656?s=20

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

"it's not from a lab because scientists are too smart to waste time or money"

Ok

its not from a lab because that’s loving dumb as poo poo

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

FAUXTON posted:

17 dead bodies found in a jersey nursing home sounds like the director's cut ending to the irishman

They should start giving them away like the nice potato farm is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

MOWMIIK, or the Plains of Death

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lmao

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

AND their economy is still in the toilet:

https://twitter.com/ObsoleteDogma/status/1250837526354571264

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Queen

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Drunkboxer posted:

its not from a lab because that’s loving dumb as poo poo

The world is dumb as poo poo.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CrainsChicago/status/1250848248694177792?s=19

the Great Lakes Consortium has logged on

:getin:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

:shrug: it is what it is

actually im right and ur wrong trump

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

The world is dumb as poo poo.

just the people in it are dumb, much like anyone who believes that you need a lab to make a pandemic

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Full Balkanization

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/CharlieGileNBC/status/1250858163676614661

Holy poo poo. How long until the matching Amazon clusters?

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Full Balkanization

theyre gonna work their way up to a functioning federal bureacracy piecemeal

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

fox news started talking about ITS A LAB two days ago and now every dumbass and their mother is spreading that poo poo into my cspam threads and my life

too stupid to live, the whole thing

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol Iowa and South Dakota, who have been saying gently caress it to everything, are not part of this. They're going to be the forgotten wastelands after this.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

post a video of the whole hour or gtfo

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

friendly 2 da void posted:

fox news started talking about ITS A LAB two days ago and now every dumbass and their mother is spreading that poo poo into my cspam threads and my life

we deserve everything thats coming to us

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow seems like you guys love China, makes you wonder why that isn't considered treason

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

friendly 2 da void posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbyuy2nHBg

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Der Meister posted:

actually im right and ur wrong trump

:ok:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

where's my trumpbux!!! getting paid to go full RED but not the RED they think hehehe... hard-R RED!

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah it should be kinda obvious that if you say OPEN FOR BUSINESS (U MAY DIE THO LOL) that a big % of people will simply avoid gathering because they value being alive more than economy. Truly insane to think people are gonna go see a marvel movie in theaters in sizable #'s during a pandemic.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
my extended Swedish family has been reporting things being fairly chill leading up to this week

now, the panic is beginning to take hold

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Here To Help posted:

Yeah it should be kinda obvious that if you say OPEN FOR BUSINESS (U MAY DIE THO LOL) that a big % of people will simply avoid gathering because they value being alive more than economy. Truly insane to think people are gonna go see a marvel movie in theaters in sizable #'s during a pandemic.

it was something like 2-3 years after the Spanish Flu before people started behaving like pre-flu again, and that one blew through in a relatively short time frame compared to covid

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

My downstairs neighbor is having some sort of bizarre episode where she’s walking around her house stomping rhythmically while periodically screaming gibberish

I had a neighbor that did that, I think it's something called being an alcoholic.