Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It's taken nearly a decade for the planets to align and get my mom's bucket list trip to Ireland planned and booked. We leave for Dublin on 5/21 so hoping this is all better by then, otherwise we will need to move it to next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omne posted:

It's taken nearly a decade for the planets to align and get my mom's bucket list trip to Ireland planned and booked. We leave for Dublin on 5/21 so hoping this is all better by then, otherwise we will need to move it to next year

Just don’t book anything that is not 100% refundable. Cancellation policies are liberal now but only for stuff booked before March 2020. I don’t expect things to be suitable for foreign tourists before summer at this point, based on Chinese response times.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Omne posted:

I was supposed to leave for Dublin 5/7 but I am not optimistic at all.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Just heard that Poland is suspending all international flights and trains, and closing stores, bars, restaurants.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

Just heard that Poland is suspending all international flights and trains, and closing stores, bars, restaurants.

They've only announced it for the next 10 days, but it's likely to get extended. If you're a Pole who does return (there's a ban on foreigners entering the country), there's a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

So, uhh, if you were planning foreign travel, you might want to postpone it given these kinds of restrictions becoming more common.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Welp, my Spain event got cancelled and it looks like United is allowing cancellations for future flight vouchers so seems like this is definitely gonna have to happen some other time.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Saladman posted:

Just don’t book anything that is not 100% refundable. Cancellation policies are liberal now but only for stuff booked before March 2020. I don’t expect things to be suitable for foreign tourists before summer at this point, based on Chinese response times.

I mean, we booked our flights (via miles) many months ago so hindsight and all that. We can cancel all of our hotels and the car rental, and if it comes to it we can get our miles back I believe. It's more that it sucks, a lot, and we likely won't get to go until next May, and she ain't gettin' any younger

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Saladman posted:

When is your trip? Madrid might very well be one of the "13 European airports" that can keep flying to the US from Europe that Pence me Pence mentioned but did not list, and your flight might just get changed to Newark instead of JFK, like the Zurich flights did.

Although depending on why and when you’re going it might be worth cancelling everything refundable, things will only get worse for the next 2-6 weeks in all likelihood, if not longer. I cancelled all my NYC stuff yesterday, full refunds, and the wedding I was going to got cancelled today.

We cancelled given that everything will be closed in Spain. Pretty much everything was non-refundable, though he hotels were fairly decent with it and only charged us for one-night with the rest able to be used later this year. Airlines appear to be waiting for the last minute to cancel their flights so you are more inclined to get a credit or change them rather than issue a refund. There is a definite air of "we are here to help; except not really" among travel companies. However over the past week or so, my potential loss from this trip reduced from $2500 to around $600.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 15, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What airline are you flying with? KLM refunded me weeks ago, no questions asked, before poo poo even got this bad, and BA had a similar policy.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Cheesemaster200 posted:

We cancelled given that everything will be closed in Spain. Pretty much everything was non-refundable, though he hotels were fairly decent with it and only charged us for one-night with the rest able to be used later this year. Airlines appear to be waiting for the last minute to cancel their flights so you are more inclined to get a credit or change them rather than issue a refund. There is a definite air of "we are here to help; except not really" among travel companies. However over the past week or so, my potential loss from this trip reduced from $2500 to around $600.

Yeah don't cancel anything yet, it will be automatically cancelled. I don't think any European governments know what they are doing or have any sort of plan even for tomorrow, so who knows what will go on.

Apparently it is "too hard*" to quarantine people who are over 65 and at higher risk of severe complications, but yet it is not too hard to quarantine all of Spain, Italy, and soon France, Switzerland, and probably the rest of continental Europe, even for the under 50 population that has like a 1/1000 risk of severe complications. Anyone my age who is an hourly worker who is now under house arrest for three months is now financially hosed for the next three years of their life. My parents and all of my friends' parents are fine if they have to stay at home for three months because they're retired anyway. I wonder what the hell is going to happen.

If you're not following, it's loving now ILLEGAL to leave your house in all of Spain, Italy, and very likely to become illegal in the next day or two in France and Switzerland, except for food, pharmacy, and "emergency or critical work", so Wuhan-style. And the police and military are out actually monitoring it. The rest of Europe is not far behind. loving house arresting the entire population of Europe for something with a death rate of around 0.04% for people under 50.

*(quote from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19: "Is everyone in a high-risk group supposed to withdraw themselves from society for six months?!" lol, how the hell could you write that on March 15 when several European countries have already house arrested their ENTIRE populations and not just the at-risk population? How the hell can you say "it's too hard to house arrest retired people :'(" the day after several countries just house arrested their entire population?)

Everyone I know who has an hourly job is seething at poo poo like that. It's great to see Americans on social media talk about "doing it for the health" while they don't have any restrictions. Yeah I bet you smug pricks on social media are really going to be voluntarily sealed up in your house for weeks on end.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 15, 2020

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saladman posted:

Yeah don't cancel anything yet, it will be automatically cancelled. I don't think any European governments know what they are doing or have any sort of plan even for tomorrow, so who knows what will go on.

Apparently it is "too hard*" to quarantine people who are over 65 and at higher risk of severe complications, but yet it is not too hard to quarantine all of Spain, Italy, and soon France, Switzerland, and probably the rest of continental Europe, even for the under 50 population that has like a 1/1000 risk of severe complications. Anyone my age who is an hourly worker who is now under house arrest for three months is now financially hosed for the next three years of their life. My parents and all of my friends' parents are fine if they have to stay at home for three months because they're retired anyway. I wonder what the hell is going to happen.

If you're not following, it's loving now ILLEGAL to leave your house in all of Spain, Italy, and very likely to become illegal in the next day or two in France and Switzerland, except for food, pharmacy, and "emergency or critical work", so Wuhan-style. And the police and military are out actually monitoring it. The rest of Europe is not far behind. loving house arresting the entire population of Europe for something with a death rate of around 0.04% for people under 50.

*(quote from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19: "Is everyone in a high-risk group supposed to withdraw themselves from society for six months?!" lol, how the hell could you write that on March 15 when several European countries have already house arrested their ENTIRE populations and not just the at-risk population? How the hell can you say "it's too hard to house arrest retired people :'(" the day after several countries just house arrested their entire population?)

Everyone I know who has an hourly job is seething at poo poo like that. It's great to see Americans on social media talk about "doing it for the health" while they don't have any restrictions. Yeah I bet you smug pricks on social media are really going to be voluntarily sealed up in your house for weeks on end.

Nice meltdown

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Saladman, the case fatality rate for under 65 year olds is somewhere between 0.5-0.9% and they account for 50% of hospitalisations in France. Even just in that age group you’d be looking at millions of dead people and completely overwhelmed health services in Europe if this is left unchecked.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Saladman posted:

Yeah don't cancel anything yet

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I meant don’t cancel it because it will probably get cancelled for you with a full refund.

Yeah we’ll see how you like it when you’re house arrested for weeks, Jeoh

This "frog in a pot" where every day more restrictions are added stresses me out more than anything else. Just announce the loving measures, what is the point of slowly adding more things every day? Why are bars and clubs open while museums were closed? It just shows no one knows what they’re doing, utter nonsense. Just close everything all at once or not, but half-assed measures gradually piled on top are the worst.

Honj Steak posted:

Saladman, the case fatality rate for under 65 year olds is somewhere between 0.5-0.9% and they account for 50% of hospitalisations in France. Even just in that age group you’d be looking at millions of dead people and completely overwhelmed health services in Europe if this is left unchecked.

Is it? It’s an order of magnitude lower than that in South Korea where they’re actually doing wide testing, and the Italian stats also indicate it’s super low in young groups—either it’s not infecting them or they don’t get sick and don’t go to the hospitals and get tested. I’m going to guess the latter is far more likely. Like Italy had 90 people 10-19 with COVID and 1700 70-79 year olds with it. I had not seen any French stats though, but the Italian ones are overwhelmingly affecting the (quite) elderly.

E: Czech Republic announced they’re on full house arrest mode too.

I’m not saying I want to get it but what I’m not going to be able go outside to go for a jog in the woods? It’s not like I live in the city center and I rarely run into a single person when I go for a jog normally. The Americans I’ve seen posting about self isolation have been like "go outside and enjoy the mountains ;)" yeah, k maybe read the news before giving genius tips. Three months of winter, now it’s finally nice out, and practically locked inside?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 16, 2020

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Take a break from the news, Saladman. And from the internet as well.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ive been housebound up to 3 months for health reasons before and it's really not that bad, just boring.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zedd posted:

Ive been housebound up to 3 months for health reasons before and it's really not that bad, just boring.

Yes, but you have something they don't: "wibble."

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

LOL AutoEurope is charging a $30 administrative fee to cancel a voucher on a rental car, due to high cancellation volume. Or, you can keep the voucher and they'll add 10% of the value onto it, supposedly to get a better car? Another day?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Saladman posted:

You have no loving idea what you’re talking about. Go and read the Imperial College London paper that discusses exactly this, and was enough to make both BoJo and Trump backflip on this exact policy

Spoiler alert: It modelled 250k deaths in the UK, and 1.1m in the US with this exactly approach.

There is no way international travel is resuming before the 2nd half of the year. The rebound risk is way too high. Let the airlines cancel your trip and postpone it until next year. If you can afford to just postpone rather than cancel bookings, all of the hospitality and travel industry is desperate for money so they’ll likely be all too eager to keep your booking for cashflow now.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

You have no loving idea what you’re talking about. Go and read the Imperial College London paper that discusses exactly this, and was enough to make both BoJo and Trump backflip on this exact policy

Spoiler alert: It modelled 250k deaths in the UK, and 1.1m in the US with this exactly approach.

There is no way international travel is resuming before the 2nd half of the year. The rebound risk is way too high. Let the airlines cancel your trip and postpone it until next year. If you can afford to just postpone rather than cancel bookings, all of the hospitality and travel industry is desperate for money so they’ll likely be all too eager to keep your booking for cashflow now.

Dude, you're replying to a post made more than a month ago. Also I live in Europe.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Saladman posted:

Dude, you're replying to a post made more than a month ago. Also I live in Europe.

I somehow completely missed the dates on those posts. i somehow check this subforum at least weekly and missed these posts several times it seems. Ignore me, I'm an idiot.

That said, the latter part of my post was re: the guy visiting Ireland, not directly relevant to you.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It'll be interesting to see what the long-term ramifications of the pandemic end up being. If a vaccine ends up being developed, I wouldn't be surprised if you need a yellow fever style certificate to enter a lot of countries. I have a feeling the closed borders will be here for a long time, even within Schengen. And I suspect that citizens of certain countries with poorly run health systems (and I'm including the USA in this) will be discriminated against at borders for a long time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Man I wish they would cancel my flight. It's less than three weeks away at this point. I tried cancelling an Airbnb with a nicely worded email to the host about coronavirus, and he rejected my request lol

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

British Airways (unsurprisingly) cancelled my flight to Naples but are only offering a voucher as way of compensation on their site. I know I’m entitled to a cash refund but can’t get through to their call centre.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If I understand correctly, the European Union has allowed holiday-related companies to give vouchers as a refund during the corona-crisis (normally that's not allowed, only cash refunds are ok), as long as these companies allow you to exchange the voucher for cash once it's past its expiry date.

Someone double-check that please.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Man, gently caress airbnb. We're having to fight with them over a cancellation even though we're literally banned from entering the country.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I for one am shocked that a company that made a fortune by ignoring rules, cutting corners and acting in an underhanded way is behaving badly all of a sudden.

If only there had been signs...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I had an airbnb owner get completely hammered along with a taking a bunch of pills and then start pounding on our door trying to break in while screaming threats and airbnb ignored every message I sent about it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PT6A posted:

I for one am shocked that a company that made a fortune by ignoring rules, cutting corners and acting in an underhanded way is behaving badly all of a sudden.

If only there had been signs...

Someone from my grad cohort did her dissertation on airbnb. Her work was extremely well received and might as well have been funded by the company for all the praise it heaped on them. Her first published paper actually referred to the sharing economy as the next industrial revolution (I'm still mad).

Anyway, this is the first time I've ever tried to use airbnb and definitely the last!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Man, gently caress airbnb. We're having to fight with them over a cancellation even though we're literally banned from entering the country.

Just call your credit card company and reverse the charges, gently caress airbnb.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

greazeball posted:

Just call your credit card company and reverse the charges, gently caress airbnb.

I'm gonna do this if they reject my current appeal. Hoping to do the same for the flights too. It's all on my AmEx, so hopefully they'll listen to me. This was also the first time I booked flights through Google/Priceline, and I'm not going to do that again either!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm gonna do this if they reject my current appeal. Hoping to do the same for the flights too. It's all on my AmEx, so hopefully they'll listen to me. This was also the first time I booked flights through Google/Priceline, and I'm not going to do that again either!

AmEx is the absolute best for customer service in my experience so you'll get the money back one way or another!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have to do the same, I cancelled a trip that fell within their covid cancellation policy, but they didn't automatically refund me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ok, Airbnb down. Next up is Delta, Air Canada, and Lufthansa :/

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Lady Gaza posted:

British Airways (unsurprisingly) cancelled my flight to Naples but are only offering a voucher as way of compensation on their site. I know I’m entitled to a cash refund but can’t get through to their call centre.

My flights aren't (yet) cancelled, but when I tried to call I got a message saying "Due to a high number of calls, we are unable to take your call right now. Please try again later." then an automated hang-up. Not sure at what point to try via my credit card provider, as advice seems to be really inconsistent.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

My flights aren't (yet) cancelled, but when I tried to call I got a message saying "Due to a high number of calls, we are unable to take your call right now. Please try again later." then an automated hang-up. Not sure at what point to try via my credit card provider, as advice seems to be really inconsistent.

Yeah I got the same message. I paid for my flights with my credit card and avios so if I do a chargeback I’ll probably lose the avios.

Apparently ringing BA first thing in the morning is the only way to get through.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HookShot posted:

I have to do the same, I cancelled a trip that fell within their covid cancellation policy, but they didn't automatically refund me.

Are they letting you actually cancel? It just wants to offer me the option to convert my payment to an Airbnb credit. Just like United wants to me to convert my tickets to an ETC instead of refunding me even though they're changing my flight weekly, have added a connection, and changed the operating carrier on at least one segment.

There's no way I'm going to Spain at the end of May, even if they let me in everything is shut down and I'd probably have to self quarantine the whole time. So I'll probably give in soon an just take the credits because it's better than nothing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Are they letting you actually cancel? It just wants to offer me the option to convert my payment to an Airbnb credit. Just like United wants to me to convert my tickets to an ETC instead of refunding me even though they're changing my flight weekly, have added a connection, and changed the operating carrier on at least one segment.

There's no way I'm going to Spain at the end of May, even if they let me in everything is shut down and I'd probably have to self quarantine the whole time. So I'll probably give in soon an just take the credits because it's better than nothing.

This was a month ago right when everything first started. It was an actual cancellation policy then.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Bollock Monkey posted:

I requested a refund through EasyJet, they didn't refund it when they said they would, and then I just created a dispute with my credit card.

Apparently they were playing games where the removed the ability to refund tickets online. You could only request a credit for future travel. If you wanted a refund, you had to call (which was of course swamped and an international call).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hello yes I am a yank who will be taking a week holiday in October Rome and Athens, the only time I've spent in Europe has been a month in France where I had to be on my very best tip top accent for people to not hate me, I think I may have ptsd and am terrified of going other places where I don't know the language well

Assuming everything is still open and hasn't burned down in the new virus ridden mad max hellscape, can anyone provide any pointers on being a good tourist while traveling? I want to come off well and not be an ugly american :(