Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

FrozenVent posted:

One kid dies, it’s a tragedy. 2-3% (95% confidence interval) is a statistic.

:qq: won't someone think of the markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
It shouldn't take much of a reason to want to shout down Dr. Oz, but I think this is the article he was referencing. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(20)30105-X/fulltext

This is a more nuanced issue than he could present, or than i think we're giving credit for, because while 2-4% less deaths not compared to any sort of cost sounds worth it, those less deaths do have a cost. In lives also. That cost includes access to social assistance provided through schools such as food and healthcare to include immunizations and mental healthcare. Theres a concern for access specialized training for certain students. Physical is expected to drop, and the cost of that is something we can model--whats the cost of that over 10, 20, 40 years?

quote:

Following school closures amidst the west African Ebola epidemic, rates of child labour, neglect, sexual abuse, and adolescent pregnancies spiked, and many children never returned to school.

quote:

Children confined at home will struggle to achieve the WHO 24 h movement behaviour guidelines which recommend 60 minutes a day of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity for 5–17 year olds. This jeopardises not only young people's mental wellbeing and healthy weight status, but also increases the risk of establishing dangerous habits, such as increased screen time and snacking that can damage future cardiovascular and musculoskeletal health.

None of this talks about the economic gap. Think real hard about what groups are going to be able to continue learning effectively in a remote environment with the least interruption. If you live in one of the methriddled corners of America and make less than a certain amount, the hope of escape for your children might be changing from 'engineering degree' to enlistling. If this takes a year and you turn 18 during this and your mom runs out of rent money and moves into a shelter, do you finish your degree when this is done, or take on more hours at the grocery store?

What percent do all of these add up to? How many sexual assaults of children is equal to an outbreak of rubella? What's the exchange rate on lost futures?

So yeah, gently caress Dr. Oz, but there are real costs to be weighed here.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
quote isn't edit. whoops.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

piL posted:

It shouldn't take much of a reason to want to shout down Dr. Oz, but I think this is the article he was referencing. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(20)30105-X/fulltext

This is a more nuanced issue than he could present, or than i think we're giving credit for, because while 2-4% less deaths not compared to any sort of cost sounds worth it, those less deaths do have a cost. In lives also. That cost includes access to social assistance provided through schools such as food and healthcare to include immunizations and mental healthcare. Theres a concern for access specialized training for certain students. Physical is expected to drop, and the cost of that is something we can model--whats the cost of that over 10, 20, 40 years?

None of this talks about the economic gap. Think real hard about what groups are going to be able to continue learning effectively in a remote environment with the least interruption. If you live in one of the methriddled corners of America and make less than a certain amount, the hope of escape for your children might be changing from 'engineering degree' to enlistling. If this takes a year and you turn 18 during this and your mom runs out of rent money and moves into a shelter, do you finish your degree when this is done, or take on more hours at the grocery store?

What percent do all of these add up to? How many sexual assaults of children is equal to an outbreak of rubella? What's the exchange rate on lost futures?

Even in Methmerica it's not rural West Africa Ebolatown.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250851143363805185?s=20

Here we go, time to kill more Americans so that the (right) Number Go Up!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bet you CNN will drop coverage

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

Man, the Governors are really loving sick of Donnie's happytalk bullshit.

https://twitter.com/CrainsChicago/status/1250848248694177792

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/1250848080351682562/photo/1

I mean, that's a complete political clusterfuck of states banding together to give themselves collective cover.

Slowly moving down the road to the US ceasing to exist as a functional nation state. Good god.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dr. Oz, still a massive snake oil selling piece of poo poo
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1250807416872189952

:same:

Fits the profile. Kids get mass murdered in school shootings, thoughts and prayers. Gotta keep pushing that meat grinder because all parents need to be in the workforce and no childcare is possible unless you're wealthy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

piL posted:

OTOH all of that seems more of an issue with "a certain segment of america would rather you live in poverty rather than get taxed a % to offer this poo poo to people regardless of school" rather than schools being closed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I wonder what the chud got it for

Green Zone mortar attack in 2007.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

Even in Methmerica it's not rural West Africa Ebolatown.

Sure, but the difference is likely nonzero.

My frustration is really that I just read a page of goons split on whether he meant killing 2% of all kids or 2% of all Americans, because people didn't want to look up the publicly available article.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm just glad that when we had a work all hands meeting yesterday, someone asked if we would reopen when Trump says to reopen or go buy local/state guidelines.

It was an immediate "We will follow State and local guidelines only".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm just glad that when we had a work all hands meeting yesterday, someone asked if we would reopen when Trump says to reopen or go buy local/state guidelines.

It was an immediate "We will follow State and local guidelines only".

Pretty sure he's gonna call the entire Fed workforce back to the office starting Monday and consequently turn DC and the surrounding parts of VA and MD into the next NYC.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Flying_Crab posted:

Slowly moving down the road to the US ceasing to exist as a functional nation state. Good god.

https://twitter.com/markdmiller2/status/1250853153890689024

Our current group nominees are:

The People's Republic of the Pacific
The Greater Pennsylvania Dutchie
The Northern Ohio Reich (THE Ohio States?)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
New South Canada

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Midjack posted:

Pretty sure he's gonna call the entire Fed workforce back to the office starting Monday and consequently turn DC and the surrounding parts of VA and MD into the next NYC.

I wonder what that’s gonna look like for government contractors like me :downs:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

(THE Ohio States?)

:vince:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

you son of a bitch you take that back

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Da further north side, north east side, east side, and southeast side of Chicago.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

DC just extended its state of emergency to mid-May at least so I could see Hogan, Bowser and Northam telling Trump to gently caress off.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

No way Ohio is leading us, hah.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

DC just extended its state of emergency to mid-May at least so I could see Hogan, Bowser and Northam telling Trump to gently caress off.

I'd like to think so but I think all the stay home orders have carveouts for government services.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Woodchip posted:

Da further north side, north east side, east side, and southeast side of Chicago.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yep.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1250875780294496257

By the way, y'all should follow this new twitter account:

https://twitter.com/ratemyskyperoom/status/1250876273196281856

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

Republic of the North (République du Nord)

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

facialimpediment posted:

"the Northern Alliance"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

The classic for WA/OR/BC is Cascadia, but having California included throws that off as they'd be the powerhouse and only northern CA really fits.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shermania

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's Georgia and the surrounding states.

This time it's covid instead of fire.

E: I wonder, if Sherman lived again today, do you think he'd be mad at late 90s teen movies for using the name Shermanator in American Pies and whatnot?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

facialimpediment posted:

Future territories of Greater New Yorkistan.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Great Lakes Alliance

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

joat mon posted:

Green Zone mortar attack in 2007.

so he actually got injured or is it a "he scrape his knee running from the round that landed 2km away" thing?

brains
May 12, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

so he actually got injured or is it a "he scrape his knee running from the round that landed 2km away" thing?

please don't do this. yes, i know it was/is a thing, but it's also a hell of a slippery slope, and you can't really know what people actually went through unless you were there. i think we can all agree that awards don't always match what really happened, one way or the other.

instead, just accept that award conditions have no correlation with being a complete dumbass before/after the fact. contemporary history is littered with examples.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cascadia and we already have a flag tyvm

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

facialimpediment posted:

I'm trying not to directly link things that make me/you mad, but

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1250491829155500032

I wish injury upon these people.

It was pointed out in those another thread that the old guy is wearing a first lieutenant bar on his cap.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I hope these state pacts allow for easy immigration. I don’t know where DC will end up but I’m 99% sure it’s not the pact I wanna be in

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Chud Bigly and the rest of the Racist Brigade can poo poo talk California all they want but if this breaks poorly, well, good luck without us propping up the economy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

The Central Powers.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

maffew buildings posted:

Chud Bigly and the rest of the Racist Brigade can poo poo talk California all they want but if this breaks poorly, well, good luck without us propping up the economy.

Hating California and the people constantly moving to other states and bringing their bad policies and inflated property values with them is a bipartisan issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

USAA changed course:

quote:

USAA, which serves military members and their families, will temporarily change its policies on overdrawn accounts to let customers collect stimulus money after The New York Times reported that it was not allowing those customers to access the funds.

The Times had reported that USAA and some other lenders were applying stimulus funds to overdraft fees and negative balances and only giving overdrawn customers the balance that remained after the accounts were zeroed out. USAA said on Thursday that it would pause overdraft collections for the next 90 days.

“This will allow members access to their full stimulus payment to help cover the costs of rent, food and other important necessities,” Matthew Hartwig, a bank spokesman, said in an email. “Beginning as early as today, we will apply this policy retroactively to any member accounts with a negative balance at the time the first stimulus checks were deposited, so that members will have access to their stimulus funds.”

The Treasury Department has begun electronically depositing funds meant to help with basic expenses into people’s bank accounts. But when funds come into accounts with negative balances, banks are legally allowed to take what is needed to bring the balance to zero.

The government checks are meant to cushion the financial blow to Americans hit hardest by the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo are pausing their collections on negative account balances to give customers access to the government’s stimulus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/...e#link-3103ae65