Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It is? Today's press conference stated that # of deaths has been fairly steady and nobody I know seems particularly panicked over the situation other than just avoiding people in general.

Its a quiet panic (which seems very Swedish). According to my relatives:
  • One of them is a doctor, and their colleagues have started getting infected, even with protective gear. Some are now not showing up to work.
  • One is a state employment economist, and he is seeing a big uptick of new cases of sick/unemployed claims as people start to isolate to avoid others
  • Another is a preschool teacher, and her school is half empty because parents aren't sending kids to school

It feels like, while the reaction is quieter and started differently than many countries, it's headed in the same direction as everywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BgRdMchne posted:

I think we still can’t buy a car in Sunday

at least we can buy booze on Sundays now after decades of people yelling about it, though behind a lot of caveats

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Zeriel posted:

They typically don't kill the chicken or goat or bat or pangolin right in front of you at farmers markets.

We've got a farmers market here in Decatur that will kill a fish for you like that and they're being yelled at for not having any health standards for customers or employees and their check out people are apparently yelling at people who want to wipe down the card readers. The owner said some poo poo like "we pressure wash the carts tho!" But they just leave them in the rain and every time I've driven by the parking lot is PACKED. Here's the article but you gotta view mobile or kill ad block

https://decaturish.com/2020/04/your-dekalb-farmers-market-owner-responds-to-concerns-about-store-safety-during-pandemic/

blandular
Aug 22, 2004

rump buttman posted:

sure it’s possible, does it matter? is it more likely than something we have witnessed before?

oh yeah it doesn't matter or change anything. it's just the only one that makes me giggle because finding ways to cut corners to save $ is china's national pastime

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Who opens first?

Texas?

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
just gotta pop down the live shrieking bat aisle for my typical chinese dinner

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

eighty-four merc posted:

I really hope Nevada joins the West Coast Pact and not some other bullshit

I don't want to get pacified by NCR rangers

nah but we should ship all the california chuds to nevada

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

old beast lunatic posted:

Utah sees it's chance. I'm gonna end up in a theocracy that looks like that snuggie gif

Utah, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska Consortium of Christ in the near future ( two weeks from now )

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol @ Missouri losing the long war against the Mormons

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Admiral Ray posted:

alcohol is a drug and should be part of medical coverage

no I know that but you shouldn't have to run a fuckin pharmacy if you just want to sell booze to people

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Zeriel posted:

Utah, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska Consortium of Christ in the near future ( two weeks from now )

Utah and Kansas, two gods enter, one god leaves!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Most of them actually probally are! And thats actually cool because fresh meat and produce is bomb af.

The issue is that given the history of past outbreaks in the country, there seems to still be a bunch that are really lovely, which is a problem when you combine that with selling wild game thats not inspected.

we get it mr. navarro

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

AnoHito posted:

They're slightly dirtier. Also they let people be racist toward the Chinese more easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbyuy2nHBg

why didnt he show the pangloins tied up in the back

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

no I know that but you shouldn't have to run a fuckin pharmacy if you just want to sell booze to people

is this some weird relic of prohibition?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Telsa Cola posted:

Most of them actually probally are! And thats actually cool because fresh meat and produce is bomb af.

The issue is that given the history of past outbreaks in the country, there seems to still be a bunch that are really lovely, which is a problem when you combine that with selling wild game thats not inspected.

if there's like 1 Wet Market per 10,000 people then China has 130,000 wet markets. if just 0.01% of those still traffic illegal game animals, then there are still 13 locations than can be the epicenter of a new pandemic. it's crazy difficult to actually stop.

the only way to prevent cross-species transmission is to stop eating them. no pandemic ever started from a vegan diet.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

err posted:

why didnt he show the pangloins tied up in the back

didnt have the budget to blur the titties in post

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

These wet markets are a real Peril if you know what I mean.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Admiral Ray posted:

alcohol is a drug and should be part of medical coverage

m4A with 1 standard drink per a day as an included prescription.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol at the Great Lakes Union forming as I expected, but also adding Kentucky because ?? I guess Beshear got on people's good sides

Also whoever posted that they feel bad for the non-chuds: that's 5 Democratic governors, 1 Republican, and 1 Republican (DeWine) who aggressively shut down the state before anyone else did

I don't know how Holcomb handled the virus shutdown but everyone else in the Union took it seriously and early

Anyway their joint statement:

The criteria involved:

We basically don't have any of that in place at all right now so I doubt we're going to open before May 1 at the very earliest

ohio is too closely linked to kentucky to leave it behind. you cant open cincinnati without kentucky

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The democrat party wants to let China off the hook

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

ohio is too closely linked to kentucky to leave it behind. you cant open cincinnati without kentucky

im ok with dropping cincinnati we have enough cities

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

upsidedown posted:

is this some weird relic of prohibition?

Probably? Chud state governments are complete dicks though so it's just as likely to be a product of more recent times as it is volstead act cheerleading

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ftr the ccp explicitly promoted farming wild animals for the tcm and other trade. they could stop it but the industry is big

wet markets is a dogwhistle tho if u ever been to a real fish market those are the same lol

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine looming above the Northeast coalition is kind of unsettling

Poland Spring Gun Club

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Cinicinatti's been closed for like 20 years

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just lmfao that Israel, a religious ethnostate, is ripping orthodox religious leaders out of their pants on the street and throwing them in jail for facilitating the spread of COVID, but in the US the notion that Whitmer could do the same to DeVos for exactly the same reasons is just unthinkable

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

is there any legal mechanism for a state or group of states to close its border?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Admiral Ray posted:

if there's like 1 Wet Market per 10,000 people then China has 130,000 wet markets. if just 0.01% of those still traffic illegal game animals, then there are still 13 locations than can be the epicenter of a new pandemic. it's crazy difficult to actually stop.

the only way to prevent cross-species transmission is to stop eating them. no pandemic ever started from a vegan diet.

The ban on selling wild game that went into effect is likely going to help poo poo loads if they keep it and enforce it, but yeah I don't expect the problem ever to fully go away, just hopefully severely reduce the probability of this happening again.

Of course, thats what all the beans and lentils are for.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

edit that you idiot

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There's two viruses running around one. Now is impacting the larger community, and now one is impacting twitch streamers.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Pizza posted:

is there any legal mechanism for a state or group of states to close its border?

nope. even the interstate pacts need to be approved by congress

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the only reason that a western wet market equivalent hasn't taken hold in the US is because the upper middle class and otherwise well off people here have been conditioned from birth alongside everybody else to not think about how their meat comes from living things. That's it. Without that we'd have a live slaughter counter in every Whole Foods.

We do it with fish and boil lobsters alive already, it's no stretch to say that without the cultural factors it'd be done to non-aquatic creatures too

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Telsa Cola posted:

The ban on selling wild game that went into effect is likely going to help poo poo loads if they keep it and enforce it, but yeah I don't expect the problem ever to fully go away, just hopefully severely reduce the probability of this happening again.

it's gotta be cultural enforcement. like publicly shaming people storing animals too close to each other or even having them in the first place. buying wild game is loving crazy to me, anyway, wild critters have so many parasites that i just don't want. i don't have time for any more worm friends.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lol cruise ships

from https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-carnival-cruise-coronavirus/

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

blandular posted:

does believing it's possible that the virus could have come from someone digging through improperly disposed of lab biowaste put me in the same category as fox news lab truthers? I can totally see a contractor dumping poo poo into the local dump to save a couple kuai

except I don’t think most of the conspiracy theorists are really arguing that it was an accidental release. even though they may hint at an accident, the actual thrust of it is that the ccp engineered it to maliciously hurt their competition. so while an accidental release is possible, the only people pushing for an investigation into the lab theory have absolutely no interest in uncovering an accident.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Mr. Pizza posted:

I live in Missouri and we would be really screwed if that happened. Our two biggest cities are both on the borders with Kansas and Illinois. You would have to group all three of them together because tons of people work in one state but live in another.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

ccp spent the last decade or so explicitly promoting wild animal farming as an antipoverty measure. the industry is now worth >50bil (or was at least)

they also promoted trad Chinese medicine which leads to trafficking and the only useful thing out of that was artemisinin which is admittedly a home run

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Mr. Pizza posted:

probably at least on paper.

edit: I should add, “theoretically, yes”. that’s an answer you can take to the bank!

Torpor has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Apr 16, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
she remembered thinking "This is real." Then she ordered more ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Torpor posted:

except I don’t think most of the conspiracy theorists are really arguing that it was an accidental release. even though they may hint at an accident, the actual thrust of it is that the ccp engineered it to maliciously hurt their competition. so while an accidental release is possible, the only people pushing for an investigation into the lab theory have absolutely no interest in uncovering an accident.

well it missed, and it's hitting their biggest customer instead! way to go ya dumb commies!