Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The Northern Ohio Reich (THE Ohio States?)

Naming 90% of the big 10 after Ohio seems like a good way to start a war

edit: toledo war 2: “not it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/markdmiller2/status/1250853153890689024

Our current group nominees are:

The People's Republic of the Pacific
The Greater Pennsylvania Dutchie
The Northern Ohio Reich (THE Ohio States?)

It's gonna be the New California Republic but only 90s kids aesthetic instead of fallout tropes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

I'm trying not to directly link things that make me/you mad, but

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1250491829155500032

I wish injury upon these people.

https://twitter.com/Esmertina/status/1250533813517799430

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/1250892279612608513?s=20

No one wants Missouri in the Great Lakes Consortium

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
New Coastal Republic - West

New Coastal Republic - East

Brotherhood of Steel Country for the rust belt

Corn Enclave for all the places that are mostly corn.

Desolate Wasteland for the rest

It's a stretch but we might make Fallout universe without the nuclear war first.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Greitens: Hey? Did everyone forget what I did yet?

Edit: Oh, he's getting a divorce.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Woofer posted:

I hope these state pacts allow for easy immigration. I don’t know where DC will end up but I’m 99% sure it’s not the pact I wanna be in

less a pact than what one might call a 'confederation'

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

It's gonna be the New California Republic but only 90s kids aesthetic instead of fallout tropes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlvUz6phquo

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Central Powers.

The Coalition

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Anti-Ohio coalition (Including Ohio)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hobbesmaster posted:

The Iron States.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I can accept this, but General Sherman needs to be all over our regional symbols and currency as a reminder to the south.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Retrowave Joe posted:

The Coalition

Help prevent the spread of deadly COVID and guarantee your own safety--enlist today and volunteer for the full conversion cyborg program!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Just call it what it was already, The Northwest territory.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Flikken posted:

Just call it what it was already, The Northwest territory.

Yeah, that's the good stuff

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Don't have a recipe, but man, j now crave some flat bread or naan.

Also: explain to me why every white person on the planet is now starting a sourdough culture while doing WFH.

The toilet paper craze I "kinda understood", because at least there was a rational need/demand at the root of it that got blown out of proportion by dumb people, but sourdough...?

Bread doesn't require constant attention but it does have multiple steps that need to happen with a hour or two between each of them, which is now possible for someone working from home or off work to do. Likewise a sourdough starter needs a bit of care to get going in the first week but afterwards you just remove part of it to make bread and then add in more flour and water to keep it going

Plus homemade bread is really good compared to store bought bread and you can make all those fancy things like brioche or a herb and onion loaf or Georgian Khachapuri or whatever, so it's worth it if you've got the time.

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's not selective-fire, and i'm pretty sure its ammo is too small

though i do think i see your point

Legally it counts because back before WWI a lot of states had "Winchester laws" to keep poor/black people from having access to them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Very, very early hope with this drug originally made for Ebola - not loving Hydroxycloroquine

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1250882842588065797

https://twitter.com/davidrliu/status/1250891848039772160

Lots of caveats, but hey, a little hope in the Northwest Republic of Columbus!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

C.M. Kruger posted:

Legally it counts because back before WWI a lot of states had "Winchester laws" to keep poor/black people from having access to them.

haha awesome, i was idly wondering if there was an equivalent fear of lever-action-cartridge-breech-loader-or-whatever-youd-call-them when they first spread. it must have been terrifying.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Very, very early hope with this drug originally made for Ebola - not loving Hydroxycloroquine

Given the circumstances I kind of wish they’d quit tweeting out poo poo like this until it’s a little better evaluated though this is better than the fish pill study was.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

Given the circumstances I kind of wish they’d quit tweeting out poo poo like this until it’s a little better evaluated though this is better than the fish pill study was.

Yep! The leak is scummy and very obviously a thing with Gilead, but hey, sometimes you don't get to pick your sources of hope. At this point, because of lag times, the feds should probably cut a multi-billion contract to manufacture a gajillion doses of the thing, even if it doesn't work out. Same deal with the potential vaccines.

For what it's worth, there were two other studies of remdesivir that got cancelled in China due to a "lack of recruits." Magically everything got better in China!

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

I get the impression that people just want to be the first one to find the cure, so they release info on incomplete studies.

Why give people hope of a vaccine if it possibly won’t pan out?

I’m also really cynical.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Woofer posted:

I get the impression that people just want to be the first one to find the cure, so they release info on incomplete studies.

I’m also really cynical.

Sure, if you patent a working pharmaceutical for it you can basically hold the world hostage for whatever licensing fees you want. It’s a once-a-century opportunity to become the wealthiest person on earth, so it pays to make your first to invent case as airtight as possible.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Woofer posted:

I’m also really cynical.

Because their audience isn’t you, a member of the general public, its clinicians who are watching lots and lots of people die with no treatments. If you’re a doc with an ICU full of patients on vents, you’re going to want to try something, anything so that when you make your fifth call to family that shift to tell them that their parent is drowning to death and they can’t say goodbye you can say we tried everything we could.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 17, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

wins32767 posted:

Because their audience isn’t you, a member of the general public, its clinicians who are watching lots and lots of people die with no treatments. If you’re a doc with an ICU full of patients on vents, you’re going to want to try something, anything so that when you make your fifth call to family that shift to tell them that their parent is drowning to death and they can’t say goodbye so can say we tried everything we could.

I get that, but I feel like they are getting promoted to me, the wrong audience.

I just don’t want the malaria drug part 2 to happen.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
We already have a flag up in the PNW, and with the heavy left lean, its going to be called of course "The People's Democratic Republic of Cascadia"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Woofer posted:

I get that, but I feel like they are getting promoted to me, the wrong audience.

It already is, Trump spouted something about aizthromycin and guess what's happening

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

Sure, if you patent a working pharmaceutical for it you can basically hold the world hostage for whatever licensing fees you want. It’s a once-a-century opportunity to become the wealthiest person on earth, so it pays to make your first to invent case as airtight as possible.

Yep, and the company can't quite make up its mind about if it wants to make a zillion, or a gazillion dollars if it pans out.

StatNews posted:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/06/gilead-remdesivir-data-coming-soon/

If remdesivir is approved, how much will it cost?

Gilead hasn’t commented on pricing, though it’s said it does not expect remdesivir to be a commercial boon if it’s approved. There will be immense pressure on the company to make the drug widely available, particularly if the pandemic starts to lead to health crises in less developed countries that cannot afford pricey drugs.

What would remdesivir’s success mean for Gilead?

The last few months of remdesivir news have played out like Gilead’s corporate history in miniature. In the early days of the outbreak, the company quickly mobilized clinical trials, treated thousands of patients for free, and committed to making the drug available to anyone who needs it. Then, in late March, the FDA granted Gilead’s request for a special designation that would extend remdesivir’s patent protection if it’s approved, news that brought familiar accusations of profiteering and exploiting regulatory loopholes.

Gilead quickly asked the FDA to rescind that designation and has since echoed its earlier promises to make remdesivir accessible. But the blip of controversy underlines the delicacy of Gilead’s position. Over the past three decades, the company’s work has helped make HIV a manageable chronic disease and turned hepatitis C into a curable infection. But the prices for both of those drugs were heavily criticized, and the resulting revenue transformed Gilead into a multibillion-dollar biotech success story. It also invited protest, castigation, and legal action, most recently in a patent dispute with the Department of Health and Human Services.

Remdesivir, if it works, is poised to put Gilead in a difficult PR situation. Investors expect a return, as the promise of remdesivir has added $16 billion to Gilead’s market value since the start of the year. But public health advocates, already skeptical of Gilead’s business model, will be watching closely for even a whiff of profiteering.

I read earlier that remdesivir is very cheap to produce, like $1/dose, but it's a bit different when a biotech company might've just found a money printer that goes brrrr

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It already is, Trump spouted something about azrthromycin and guess what's happening

Hydroxycloroquine / Z-pack is on Fox News, so that's what Donnie word-vomits about. I don't think they've covered remdesivir much.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

green mountain boys are gonna break off first

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Woofer posted:

The folks on the front line badly need some options and hope right now. My buddy’s wife is a pulmonologist at a nursing home and they just got their first covid case. The odds are 100% of her patients are dead in a month. She’s going to come out of this a lot better if she tries to help even if it isn’t effective. And we’re going to need a bunch of pulmonologist that specialize in rehabbing damaged lungs before this is all through.

As a society, it’s the smart move to trade her mental health for side effects in dumbasses that try stuff without talking to doctors. It’s not like there is a doctor only Twitter.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Best Friends posted:

It’s really hard to do that kind of flatbread at home with the same magical result because a lot of what gives it that oomph is the insanely hot fire oven that the flatbread is on very briefly. The best you can do at home is a longer time over lower heat (a maxed out frying pan) which is going to give you thicker flatbread in my experience. But, pretty much any fresh flatbread is still good and really easy to make.

I wonder if I could use my cast iron above some coals

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm not convinced the Onion isn't written by someone with the equivalent of a Sportsman's Almanac.

https://www.theonion.com/person-who-will-one-day-become-warlord-ruler-of-what-wa-1819573297

The Onion posted:

Person Who Will One Day Become Warlord-Ruler Of What Was Once Nebraska Born In Omaha Hospital

BELLEVUE, NE—Shortly after 8 a.m. Tuesday, Landon Matthew Crowley, a 7-pound, 14-ounce baby boy and the future warlord who will rule over the charred remnants of what was once the state of Nebraska, was welcomed into the world at Omaha's Methodist Hospital, sources reported.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

PeterCat posted:

I'm not convinced the Onion isn't written by someone with the equivalent of a Sportsman's Almanac.

https://www.theonion.com/person-who-will-one-day-become-warlord-ruler-of-what-wa-1819573297

It's probably one of the writers giving some family member poo poo, which is really cool.

That's an awesome birth announcement.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

haha awesome, i was idly wondering if there was an equivalent fear of lever-action-cartridge-breech-loader-or-whatever-youd-call-them when they first spread. it must have been terrifying.

Even earlier there were laws in Europe banning "short" wheellock guns in Germany in the 1500s for being too "handy" to use compared to the then-common matchlocks, and since the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire at the time was scared of getting assassinated, and then later in France because they were also scared of Huguenot assassins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-pISvud6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfeusAG1oTQ

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

Hydroxycloroquine / Z-pack is on Fox News, so that's what Donnie word-vomits about. I don't think they've covered remdesivir much.

Remdesivir was part of the drugs that Trump was initially told to word-vomit about like a week or two ago, except he couldn't pronounce it, and instead said - with this faux-confidence of someone thinking they're the only one that knows a thing - "Rim-Reservoir" or somesuch.

So regardless of its effectiveness, you can expect Trump to say he was right about it all along despite pushing an entirely different drug for weeks.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Imagining the worst a bad person could possibly accomplish with a thing so therefore is a tried and true risk assessment method :hai:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Pedantry incoming:

North Carolina had a law restricting civilian ownership (or was it carry?) of pistols to Colt and Remington, the two most expensive options available.

Militaries the world over resisted repeating arms because the leadership thought soldiers would waste all their ammunition before the enemy got close enough for the fire to have an effect. Many early bolt-action rifles had a magazine cut-off to make you load singly until an NCO told you to use the rounds in your magazine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's kinda reassuring to know that Colombia's most completely over the top blingee gats are nothing new under the sun

Also having been forced to do a lot of precision hand-file work on tool grade steel during my maching apprenticeship, god drat that is at least 3,000 labor hours just in the visible lockwork

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 17, 2020

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Michael Cohen getting released and will serve the rest of his sentence at home.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My Spirit Otter posted:

8 megacities, you gently caress.

knowing what little I do of fallout, I still think I'd prefer it to judge dredd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PookBear posted:

green mountain boys are gonna break off first

The champlain republic