Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I think the clapping is broadly nice, I like it, but I also knocked on every single one of the doors on this street and know for a fact half those people don't give the remotest gently caress about nurses, the performatism is legit grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But in terms of buying a sense of righteousness you can't beat the price.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Surprised that the Guardian isn't covering the Labour report that got leaked, their coverage on the antisemitism story was incredibly comprehensive before now so it seems weird they'd be ignoring a massive event so profoundly relevant to that story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because it was only ever an excuse to poo poo on corbyn, they're not going to go against big wet centrist daddy until much closer to the election.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Vitamin P posted:

Surprised that the Guardian isn't covering the Labour report that got leaked, their coverage on the antisemitism story was incredibly comprehensive before now so it seems weird they'd be ignoring a massive event so profoundly relevant to that story.

It is weird

Spooky even

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

It actually gets even stranger:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm getting Bamber Gascoigne much more than Trotsky

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/chrismasonbbc/status/1250873047285891076?s=21

lmao

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

You'd be more surprised to know that Corbyn has committed no antisemitic acts since the election finished, despite being a notorious jew hating neo-hitler who likely propagates belief in blood libel. Since the media are so poo poo hot on reporting his various crimes against the ""oven dodgers"" (as he, crypto-Nazi that he undoubtedly is, refers to the Jewish people) for totally selfless reasons (preventing the disparagement of the Jewish diaspora) with absolutely NO ulterior motive in their coverage of it, the only conclusion I can come to is that corbyn has been in self isolation for the months after the election due to coronavirus and hence hasn't been able to draw any swastikas on any jewish cemetaries gravestones or throw molotovs at synagogues because of it.

This is the only conclusion anyone can come to. If you come to any other conclusion you, yourself, are antisemitic. sorry.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

For the purpose of the police undoubtedly monitoring this thread to try and weed out people who hold left wing views or are in a union of some kind, that post is satire.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vitamin P posted:

I read somewhere (probably twitter) that it was first offered to the Graun and they declined it.
Obviously they're not interested as it undermines everything Freedland has said for the past 5 years.

They've done a couple of VERY weak articles on it trying to really diminish its importance, and they always manage to put something anti-Corbyn or Corbyn is an anti-semite in the last paragraph. I read one of their efforts yesterday which finished with the sentence something like "Corbyn repeatedly refused to apologize for anti-semitism in the Labour party when asked on (name I forget) tv programme" and the funniest thing was, that immediately under the article claiming that, there was one of those automatic links to a Graun article showing the headline "Corbyn apologizes for labour anti-semitism"

(My quotes are approx I can't remember the absolute exact words - they may even be exact quotes).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If the clapping annoys you, you're more interested in your own opinion than other people's over something that really doesn't matter and you're kind of a wally. But that's fine.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

First time I heard people clapping last night.

There has been someone playing a trumpet every night at 8 pm for the last week, and I can confirm that it is the season to be jolly, and it is fun to ride on a one-horse open sleigh.

Their playing is getting much better though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Vitamin P posted:

The Guardian's silence on the matter speaks volumes about the report's basic truthfullness. If they'd been able to pick holes in it, they'd have been shouting from the rooftops. They can't deny what's in the report, so they just ignore it instead.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Great Work Everyone!!

https://twitter.com/d_rafi1/status/1250864574984867856?s=19

:hotpickle:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i don't think this keir starmer fellow is very good tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whatever would give you that impression.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Why are the paramedics clapping?
Get back in the car and stop photo-bombing, you morons

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the clapping annoys you, you're more interested in your own opinion than other people's over something that really doesn't matter and you're kind of a wally. But that's fine.

It's more I live in a place that's a tory safe seat and this is a safe outlet for my rage about that.

It has been a nightmarish few months.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see the state is keen to one-up 2017 as the deadliest recent year for bridges in London.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Pat-a-cake for carers.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The thing about all of this for me is that this should have been such an easy 'win' for the Govt, from a political perspective.
It's a global health crisis, so all they had to do was pull out all the stops to fight it.
They've got a media that fellates them, so although there would probably be a number of deaths - and a massive amount of inconvenience - there wouldn't be much backlash.
Plus - bonus for the Tories - the following economic crash would make it easy to just slash and burn public services afterwards, while still making them look strong on the NHS.

And yet, they're just so mind-bogglingly incompetent that they've hosed it up at every step.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unite are doing a minutes silence and a list of demands for protection for transport workers today.

kingturnip posted:

And yet, they're just so mind-bogglingly incompetent that they've hosed it up at every step.
And people still think they're doing a good job.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Maybe I'm dumb. I'm basically utterly a statistic-Ill health, on various benefits, will likely die 'young', so on and so forth.

It seems to me that the ruling class-both the politicians and the businessmen that buy and sell them-are completely and utterly disconnected with anyone other than themselves. 'We' are numbers, text to be shifted around, letters from people, statistics with various bits of government; X crimes, Y deaths, Z people in care homes, producing B amount of goods.

We're not 'people'. We don't really exist. We can be ignored because we do not matter. Not a one of them has ever actually dealt with the life they create, or if they have, somehow they forget. This seems to be true wherever.

How do you even begin to fix something like this? Where they can go from birth to death not dealing with anything, just siphoning as much as is possible until the whole thing collapses? But I imagine I'd just be seen as a parasite leecher anyway. Never done anything good with his life. SHould be on the street. Should be dead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Traditional suggestions have involved separating the ruling classes from the levers of power which allow them to control the population, often by separating the ruling classes at the neck.

Personally I find the most compelling suggestion to be that society is shaped to encourage that behaviour, and as long as it is it'll keep happening. It's not a people problem it's a systemic problem.

For what it's worth though I'd say you've got a better grasp of how society works and what's wrong with it than probably 90% of the population.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 17, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

kingturnip posted:

The thing about all of this for me is that this should have been such an easy 'win' for the Govt, from a political perspective.
It's a global health crisis, so all they had to do was pull out all the stops to fight it.
They've got a media that fellates them, so although there would probably be a number of deaths - and a massive amount of inconvenience - there wouldn't be much backlash.
Plus - bonus for the Tories - the following economic crash would make it easy to just slash and burn public services afterwards, while still making them look strong on the NHS.

The only issue is that they haven't hosed it at all, because the public are largely in favour of what they're doing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
FYI, Channel 4 Dispatches did a big ol' antiziganism last night.

https://twitter.com/gypsytravellerm/status/1250923311833456641?s=21

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Reminder that the Conversative Party campaigned on loving over Travellers during the election.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Oh cool this is going to be really helpful to the local community. Thanks Channel 4.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

if it helps anyone here at all commuting to an essential job (it absolutely doesn't for the families who have lost loved ones) the response includes free bus travel in the capital

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1251015663671488512

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

antiziganism

Somehow never knew the word for this, so shame on me. It definitely reads like a slur to my brain though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So glad the leader of the opposition is focusing on what the Adam Smith institute wants instead of this

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1250896921050386434?s=19

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I've been chatting a lot more to my neighbours of late and it's incredibly frustrating talking to the born-and-bred Midland boomer couple that live beside us in particular.

We all came out to clap on our street yesterday and started talking and they immediately launched into a whingefest about how essential workers are just capitalising on this crisis to get more money they don't deserve, tradespeople are getting bailouts from the government even though they don't pay taxes on most of their income, and people on benefits are just going to exploit this to get even more while honest taxpayers will be picking up the bill.

Then she said that the government had better not extend the lockdown more than 3 weeks or else "people" (i.e. her) are simply going to ignore it... and this is coming from someone immunocompromised and in her 60s. They retired early and all they have to do is stay at home with all the amenities of modern life; how can people be this obstinate?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like a self solving problem, if not for the risk of infecting others.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somehow never knew the word for this, so shame on me. It definitely reads like a slur to my brain though
There's a fair amount of date around whether that should be the term, because it was borrowed from the German 'Antiziganismus', which was treated as a good thing by Nazis and proto-Nazis (but so was anti-Semitism, so :can:), but also because 'zigan' and 'zig' are deemed slurs (at least in Eastern Europe, but they don't sound like nice words even in English).

The more straightforward 'anti-Gypsyism' was proposed as an English replacement, but 'gypsy' is called a slur by US and Canadian Roma.

I think Romaphobia is the most concise, but 'anti-Traveller sentiment' seems to be the most widely agreed upon one. I know that 99% of people who say antiziganism aren't going to be using it in the Antiziganismus ist patriotisch sense.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

There's a fair amount of date around whether that should be the term, because it was borrowed from the German 'Antiziganismus', which was treated as a good thing by Nazis and proto-Nazis (but so was anti-Semitism, so :can:), but also because 'zigan' and 'zig' are deemed slurs (at least in Eastern Europe, but they don't sound like nice words even in English).

The more straightforward 'anti-Gypsyism' was proposed as an English replacement, but 'gypsy' is called a slur by US and Canadian Roma.

I think Romaphobia is the most concise, but 'anti-Traveller sentiment' seems to be the most widely agreed upon one. I know that 99% of people who say antiziganism aren't going to be using it in the Antiziganismus ist patriotisch sense.

Good detail.

Yeah like I've never heard the word "zig" uttered before, but I can instantly imagine some clammy gammon in full froth shouting it from his front garden at a passing Hiace van

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

So glad the leader of the opposition is focusing on what the Adam Smith institute wants instead of this

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1251067805987979264
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1251069082717302784

Saving myself the effort of typing it all out again, but basically if they didn't do this a lot more people would die when the ICUs hit capacity.

e: And to address the other "issue" Peston raised, the transferring hospital has to supply the staff required to keep the patient stable *during transfer*, which is as far as I know the exact case with any patient transfer - it's not like an ICU nurse from St. Thomas' is just like "Welp I work here now" when someone gets moved.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 17, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

The Nightingales were always meant to be excess beds for if the hospitals become overcrowded and they need to move less serious cases to less well-equipped temporary wards. The only real question is whether it's sensible to assume that the NHS has significantly more staff and equipment than it has beds (which would make the 'bring your own people and kit' model viable).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good detail.

Yeah like I've never heard the word "zig" uttered before, but I can instantly imagine some clammy gammon in full froth shouting it from his front garden at a passing Hiace van
The gammon would probably butcher it, the z is a sound like in Tsar that doesn't really exist in English, but I've been told it's a bit jarring for Roma from actual Romania and Bulgaria to see a slur like that buried in a term that's supposed to be defending them, and with the Nazi history on top...

I guess homophobia and similar contain a potential slur within it and I won't even touch some of the self-reclaimed slur groups, but yeah I can imagine if it got normalized certain types of people would go around yelling it at Travellers, Gypsies, non-Roma Romanians and Bulgarians, and probably anyone with an Irish accent and athletic wear, because racists aren't known for sharp critical thinking skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Don't forget most of the Traveler community in the UK aren't Roma (and there are historic tensions that lead Irish Travelers and other non-Roma European Traveler communities to dislike being bundled in with the Roma).