Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It sounds like maybe the play-by-forums Risk LP. There was also a Risk Legacy LP that worked similarly, but it didn't get archived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks, but neither of those are it. It wasn’t a Risk variant, it was its own game. I feel like it had its own unique name, and the main thing that made it different from your average Risk game was you could upgrade technologies, trade goods, etc. It also had A LOT more territories than a normal Risk game. Probably hundreds.

I feel like it was in GBS, and it seemed like it was all custom made by the OP.

There were dozens and dozens of posters all playing at once. Once per day you could decide to make a move, whether it be attacking, upgrading, trading, etc.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 16, 2020

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I remember that but I have no idea what it was called.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
What's the game that's like an anime styled dungeon crawl that's kind of like Slay The Spire, except your decks are built up from up to 4 characters you recruit. One of them is a dude that makes swords which are basically STS like shivs. Another one is a chick with a chainsaw. You yourself actually play a 5th character that doesn't fight but instead provides various party/exploration buffs as you level up. The enemies themselves are mostly static front facing images, and the game has some pretty indepth boss mechanics. One of which is like a fire elemental chick that has a mechanic based around passing around a DoT between your characters to effectively damage her.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RCarr posted:

Thanks, but neither of those are it. It wasn’t a Risk variant, it was its own game. I feel like it had its own unique name, and the main thing that made it different from your average Risk game was you could upgrade technologies, trade goods, etc. It also had A LOT more territories than a normal Risk game. Probably hundreds.

I feel like it was in GBS, and it seemed like it was all custom made by the OP.

There were dozens and dozens of posters all playing at once. Once per day you could decide to make a move, whether it be attacking, upgrading, trading, etc.

There's a forums lore thread in PYF that may know https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910305

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

SweetBro posted:

What's the game that's like an anime styled dungeon crawl that's kind of like Slay The Spire, except your decks are built up from up to 4 characters you recruit. One of them is a dude that makes swords which are basically STS like shivs. Another one is a chick with a chainsaw. You yourself actually play a 5th character that doesn't fight but instead provides various party/exploration buffs as you level up. The enemies themselves are mostly static front facing images, and the game has some pretty indepth boss mechanics. One of which is like a fire elemental chick that has a mechanic based around passing around a DoT between your characters to effectively damage her.

Could it be one step from eden? Steam recommends that to me all the time.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

No, One Step From Eden is basically Megaman Battle Network w/ Cute Anime Girls the roguelike.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SweetBro posted:

I punched in all the relevant tags into Steam search and this is the only one that looked like it would fit your description. Is that it?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1188930/Chrono_Ark/

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

RCarr posted:

Years ago someone made a thread about a kind of forums Risk game. Like the map of the world was broken up into territories and each poster could claim a territory. Then every day you could do various things like attack other territories, upgrade technology, maybe even buy and sell goods, etc. Posters could make alliances and stab each other in the back, etc. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or what it was called? Does it still exist?

It was all contained in the thread, updated by the OP with images each day.

Wasn't that a game of Nomic i.e. the rules were fluid and made up as the game went along?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

I punched in all the relevant tags into Steam search and this is the only one that looked like it would fit your description. Is that it?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1188930/Chrono_Ark/

Yes! Thank you.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I'm looking for a PC puzzle game from between ten and twenty years ago. The idea was that you were a detective helping solve murders (I think), but you kept receiving Zodiac-style messages that you had to decode through ever more obscure methods and real-life knowledge. You had to enter your email, and the plot played out in real time, with you getting email updates and orders from superiors though email. It's bugging the hell out of me, because I usually remember the name - pretty sure it was punchy, one-word stuff.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

John Lee posted:

I'm looking for a PC puzzle game from between ten and twenty years ago. The idea was that you were a detective helping solve murders (I think), but you kept receiving Zodiac-style messages that you had to decode through ever more obscure methods and real-life knowledge. You had to enter your email, and the plot played out in real time, with you getting email updates and orders from superiors though email. It's bugging the hell out of me, because I usually remember the name - pretty sure it was punchy, one-word stuff.
Majestic
https://www.mobygames.com/game/majestic-special-edition

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Nope, that wasn't it! There was no interaction with other players, and no communication other than email.

Edit: Being on the Wikipedia page for Majestic helped me find it, though! I was thinking of Evidence:

It's the sequel to the game alternately called either In Memoriam or Missing: Since January.

Double edit:
vvv Yeah, that was the first thing I tried! Apparently it wasn't popular, but it DID show up in a place or two... but I didn't know it by the right name.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 17, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

John Lee posted:

Nope, that wasn't it! There was no interaction with other players, and no communication other than email.
Google "pc game arg" and see if anything looks familiar

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Man I loved In Memoriam. It was properly creepy at the time, when you started getting threats from the killer in your inbox.

Now all I have to do is go on Twitter for my fix of anonymous death threats.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

My brother and I were talking about some of the games we played on the family computer as kids in the 90's and couldn't remember what they were called. They were not popular games and most likely shovelware (our parents only bought games from the backs of edutainment catalogs) but any help is greatly appreciated!

The first one was an anti-drug game where 2-D animated situations played out in different settings like a mall, alley, etc., and you answered questions on what the right thing to do in the situation is. If you got it right, you got a piece of a brain that looked healthy but if you got it wrong you got a diseased looking piece. The drug using/dealing kids looked like ugly green monsters.

The second one was 3-D racing game that had some unconventional cars. There was a six-wheeled car, a hovercraft, and a couple of other standard cars and trucks. The roster was very small and all of the vehicles were untextured and very polygonal. One of the racetracks was on the moon and it had lower gravity, so you could launch yourself off of some ramps pretty far. There was a boost meter that slowly filled and when activated it would loop this noise that went 'broom broom-broom broooooooooom' as flames shot out of the tailpipe. Even as kids we recognized that it was a bad racing game, but it was the only one we had so we played the poo poo out of it.

The last was an edutainment game and the only thing we could remember was there was an area where you helped a superhero color action figures of himself in a factory setting. It might have had something to do with math?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chip McFuck posted:

The second one was 3-D racing game that had some unconventional cars. There was a six-wheeled car, a hovercraft, and a couple of other standard cars and trucks. The roster was very small and all of the vehicles were untextured and very polygonal. One of the racetracks was on the moon and it had lower gravity, so you could launch yourself off of some ramps pretty far. There was a boost meter that slowly filled and when activated it would loop this noise that went 'broom broom-broom broooooooooom' as flames shot out of the tailpipe. Even as kids we recognized that it was a bad racing game, but it was the only one we had so we played the poo poo out of it.

Long shot, but Big Red Racing?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

I'm going to guess Hi-Octane, the boost meter definitely does that "vwee-vwee-vwee-VOOM" when you have it maxed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS4SNvJBVPE

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Chip McFuck posted:

The first one was an anti-drug game where 2-D animated situations played out in different settings like a mall, alley, etc., and you answered questions on what the right thing to do in the situation is. If you got it right, you got a piece of a brain that looked healthy but if you got it wrong you got a diseased looking piece. The drug using/dealing kids looked like ugly green monsters.

Narc.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

No need to call people names, he was just asking about a video game

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

It's funny, right after reading this the title popped in my head: Crime Scouts. If you've ever wanted to see what a Lutheran organization thought was an effective anti-drug video game, check it out. That rat chewing gum stuck with me for a long time.

Cidrick posted:

I'm going to guess Hi-Octane, the boost meter definitely does that "vwee-vwee-vwee-VOOM" when you have it maxed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS4SNvJBVPE

Sorry, it's not either Big Red or Hi Octane. The game I'm thinking of is a pure racing game that has a mix of wheeled and hovering vehicles. It was definitely low budget; the cars were mostly flat-sided polygons and colored with a single color (usually red).

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Danaru posted:

No need to call people names, he was just asking about a video game

You stole the joke I was going to make t:mad:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Chip McFuck posted:

The last was an edutainment game and the only thing we could remember was there was an area where you helped a superhero color action figures of himself in a factory setting. It might have had something to do with math?

I don't remember that specific instance, but a math edutainment game makes me think Math Blaster.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

aniviron posted:

I don't remember that specific instance, but a math edutainment game makes me think Math Blaster.

You might not be aware just how wide the field is for 'math edutainment game'.

Will laugh if it is somehow Math Blaster, though.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Never played Mathblaster but I did stumble across the game I was thinking of while searching around: Mighty Math: Number Heroes

Now if only I could remember what the racing game was...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Chip McFuck posted:

Never played Mathblaster but I did stumble across the game I was thinking of while searching around: Mighty Math: Number Heroes

Now if only I could remember what the racing game was...

Pretty sure it's Narc.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

There's a game I played 20 years ago that my friend had where you would create simple movie scenes with characters that were all anthropomorphic that you could move around, text-to-speech with a bunch of different voices, and a whole sfx library. You could put it all on a timeline and make the best movie scenes ever...or just make the text-to-speech say "butts" and "penis" a lot.

I want to say the game was called "Hollywood!" but I've never found anything online. It definitely was installed from a disc so it had to have been manufactured somewhere...

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

gently caress SNEEP posted:

There's a game I played 20 years ago that my friend had where you would create simple movie scenes with characters that were all anthropomorphic that you could move around, text-to-speech with a bunch of different voices, and a whole sfx library. You could put it all on a timeline and make the best movie scenes ever...or just make the text-to-speech say "butts" and "penis" a lot.

I want to say the game was called "Hollywood!" but I've never found anything online. It definitely was installed from a disc so it had to have been manufactured somewhere...

Hollywood High, it was loving amazing

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
For a more straight-forward "movie director" simulator, there was also The Movies, by Lionhead Studio - you know, the Black & White guys.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
A couple of years ago I saw a video of a murder mystery game that was isometric, and you had to go around the house talking to all the characters and witness drama, or something. I think maybe you had to play as the different characters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Boz0r posted:

A couple of years ago I saw a video of a murder mystery game that was isometric, and you had to go around the house talking to all the characters and witness drama, or something. I think maybe you had to play as the different characters.

The Sexy Brutale?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

al-azad posted:

The Sexy Brutale?

I think that's it. Thanks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm trying to remember the name of a PC RPG. Very generic. Late 90's if I remember correctly. The MC was a girl, I want to say possibly blue hair. The world seemed like it was comprised of multiple layers, and I want to say she started in like a scrap yard of some sort?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

khy posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a PC RPG. Very generic. Late 90's if I remember correctly. The MC was a girl, I want to say possibly blue hair. The world seemed like it was comprised of multiple layers, and I want to say she started in like a scrap yard of some sort?

Septerra Core

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Septerra Core

e:f,b

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Septerra Core

That's the one. I don't know why I suddenly thought of it while in the drive-thru line getting lunch, but for some reason it popped into my head.

EDIT : One more!

Back when I was a wee young lad, early 90's or so, there used to be shareware disks I'd get with software magazines. I recall a dungeon crawler ish RPG on those shareware disks. The game was sort of like Might & Magic; first-person labyrinth perspective. It had you create a party then explore a town and the town had a sewer. I never got far because I was a dumb little kid. I know that's somewhat generic but I'm just curious because I was thinking about it.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 19, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

khy posted:

That's the one. I don't know why I suddenly thought of it while in the drive-thru line getting lunch, but for some reason it popped into my head.

Back when I was a wee young lad, early 90's or so, there used to be shareware disks I'd get with software magazines. I recall a dungeon crawler ish RPG on those shareware disks. The game was sort of like Might & Magic; first-person labyrinth perspective. It had you create a party then explore a town and the town had a sewer. I never got far because I was a dumb little kid. I know that's somewhat generic but I'm just curious because I was thinking about it.

Maybe one of the Moraffs games? I don't remember ever having a party in those though

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

khy posted:

I just found out Moby Games has a pretty nice search for exactly this sort, so here's 21 options.

But what I was thinking of is Ancients 1: Death watch. Which I remember for two reasons: first, it's one of the few shareware games I ever purchased - through the mail and everything. Second, fairly early on you can sleep in a tomb to be visited by a ghost, who gives you magic weapons, and you can sleep there repeatedly to get them multiple times.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Hollywood High, it was loving amazing

Oh poo poo you're right! The one I played was just "Hollywood", I remember the blue disk.

https://archive.org/details/hollywood-cdrom

Mobygames didn't have anything on it when I looked :mad:

Time to see if I can get it running!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

LeastActionHero posted:

I just found out Moby Games has a pretty nice search for exactly this sort, so here's 21 options.

But what I was thinking of is Ancients 1: Death watch. Which I remember for two reasons: first, it's one of the few shareware games I ever purchased - through the mail and everything. Second, fairly early on you can sleep in a tomb to be visited by a ghost, who gives you magic weapons, and you can sleep there repeatedly to get them multiple times.

Ancients 1 is the one, holy poo poo SO MANY MEMORIES THE NOSTALGIA IS OVERFLOWING.