Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Obeah posted:

Welp, my fellow gooners, it's finally happened. My goddamn mother's communal house is apparently under some level of pandemic-time scrutiny (though the specific nature of that scrutiny she herself does not seem to know), and as a result, the elders there have been divvying up the kids to send to houses outside of their property. I guess in case there's a CPS issue or something?

So now, mid-apocalypse, I have been saddled with a dumb ten year old with filthy hands and no common sense and apparently no family within the state that isn't currently living at the communal facilities. His first day here he was touching goddamn everything, so I've sat aside four pairs of nitrile gloves for him to use that we rotate day to day. He takes off the old ones when he wakes, we put them into their respective drawer, and we check off and move to the next day's.

https://i.imgur.com/W74CMw9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NWv6Kbq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3RoaWNp.jpg

Because those religious fanatic nutsos like to keep kids in the dark, I had to explain to him that likely every adult he knows will be dying within the next 2-3 years (whether of the virus itself, starvation, or the impending revolutions and riots), but that we could at least extend every meaningful person's respective lifespans a little bit by following basic loving common sense procedures.

And he's been good at that for the most part, admittedly. He cried a lot the first few days or so, but he seems pretty content to just lay around within the guest room now. He does keep asking about masks. We have two n90 masks that my cousin and I use about the house through most of the day (typical boomer uncle refuses to wear one except for when we send him out for groceries), and a loving gigantic stockpile of them we bought in February. Our mid-day rotationals have been hung up and had a warning sign placed above them so his grubby little mitts know to lay off.

https://i.imgur.com/2omXfIN.jpg

I still hate having a potential contagion in the house, but mom's gonna be cutting a check at the end of the month for us so it's whatever. Uncle has some recurrent cardiac issues, and I love him to pieces, but if he croaks, I'll finally be getting the bedroom with the en suite bathroom, limiting my chances of getting infected or, conversely, infecting the others.

I will say that reading this thread has at least made me happy to know I'm in good company. Stay safe, goons!

Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

lol oh yeah I remember this

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i can get behind this take

The WHO Shouldn’t Be a Plaything for Great Powers

quote:

Donald Trump has declared that he would like the United States to stop funding the World Health Organization. It’s unclear if he has the authority to change policy in this way, but he’s trying. He wants to further break the WHO in ways it’s already broken.

Trump’s ploy to defund the WHO is a transparent effort to distract from his administration’s failure to prepare for the COVID-19 pandemic. It would be disastrous too. Many nations, especially poor ones, currently depend on the WHO for medical help and supplies. But it is also true that in the run-up to this pandemic, the WHO failed the world in many ways. However, President Trump’s move is precisely the kind of political bullying that contributed to the WHO’s missteps.

The WHO failed because it is not designed to be independent. Instead, it’s subject to the whims of the nations that fund it and choose its leader. In July 2017, China moved aggressively to elect its current leadership. Instead of fixing any of the problems with the way the WHO operates, Trump seems to merely want the United States to be the bigger bully.

Fixing the WHO is crucial, because we desperately need well-functioning global health institutions. But that requires a correct diagnosis of the problem. There is an alternate timeline in which the leadership of the WHO did its job fully and properly, warning the world in time so that effective policies could be deployed across the planet. Instead, the WHO decided to stick disturbingly close to China’s official positions, including its transparent cover-ups. In place of a pandemic that is bringing global destruction, just maybe we could have had a few tragic local outbreaks that were contained.

We can get a glimpse at that alternate timeline by looking at the two places where COVID-19 was successfully contained: Taiwan and Hong Kong. With dense populations and close links to and travel from China, Taiwan and Hong Kong are unlikely candidates for success. Yet Taiwan reported zero new confirmed cases on Tuesday, fewer than 400 confirmed cases since the beginning of the outbreak, and only six deaths. Taiwan’s schools have been open since the end of February and there is no drastic lockdown in the island of almost 30 million people.

Hong Kong has had a slightly tougher time. It is ruled by an unpopular leader handpicked by Beijing, so not all the recommendations of its health experts could be implemented. But still, the city has had just more than 1,000 cases and only four deaths, despite never completely closing its border with mainland China and despite a lot of the city functioning as usual. Taiwan and Hong Kong succeeded because they ignored, contradicted, and defied the official position and the advice of the WHO on many significant issues. This is not a coincidence, but a damning indictment of the WHO’s leadership.

We must save the WHO, but not by reflexively pretending that nothing’s wrong with it, just because President Trump is going after the organization. We should be realistic and honest about the corruption and shortcomings that have engulfed the leadership of an organization that is deeply flawed, but that is still the jewel of the international health community. The WHO employs thousands of dedicated and selfless health-care workers in 194 countries, and even now it is leading the fight globally against polio and Ebola. It needs to be restructured, and the first order of business is to make sure that it’s led by health professionals who are given the latitude to be independent and the means to resist bullying and pressure, and who demonstrate spine and an unfailing commitment to the Hippocratic oath when they count most.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I were China I would just pick up the WHO tab and make Trump look even dumber.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah yeah I noticed, but the child abuse is not funny to a lot of people. Moving on!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shaocaholica posted:

If I were China I would just pick up the WHO tab and make Trump look even dumber.

That might be a good outcome for embarrassing Trump, but it would NOT be a good outcome for any other purpose, unless you are a member of the CCP.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sir Not Appearing posted:

WTF. You should just go ahead and call CPS. They can go ahead and put the kid in therapy since he now thinks he's going to be living in a wasteland made up of children with adult corpses covering the landscape.

gently caress all that noise. Buy him an account.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Louisgod posted:

tfw u have a right to feel healthy and also not have universal healthcare

https://twitter.com/mindfulmoon10/status/1250637227744309248?s=21

lol great

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Burt Sexual posted:

Uh communal house? And good job on getting your own bathroom weirdo

Burt Sexual posted:

I missed the part where he has plenty of masks but keeps them away from the kids grubbby hands. I’m waiting for your response this nonsense op. Come back before the Burt spurt

Burt Sexual posted:

Child abuse, lol!

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah yeah I noticed, but the child abuse is not funny to a lot of people. Moving on!

Please don't move on before banning that piece of poo poo, right now you're looking a lot like Bobbie Wickham.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Chomp8645 posted:

That might be a good outcome for embarrassing Trump, but it would NOT be a good outcome for any other purpose, unless you are a member of the CCP.

Better than nobody picking up the tab.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Open air classes for school children might be a possibility.

Being together in a room is bad, singing together is the worst, as it produces all this aerosol, a church service singing hymns is covid paradise.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That twitter account is a pretty good source of crazy

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ohhhh, yeah now I remember. That was a fantastic post. sometimes I tell friends about funny poo poo that happens on these forums, and I remember being sad that the post was so hilarious but I couldn’t pass it on because my friends aren’t fundamentally broken like me, and would find it to be too much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is literally my favorite post

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Some of the Sheep posted:

Please don't move on before banning that piece of poo poo, right now you're looking a lot like Bobbie Wickham.

It was a story dude, poor taste, but thanks for the advice and insult!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Open air classes for school children might be a possibility.

Being together in a room is bad, singing together is the worst, as it produces all this aerosol, a church service singing hymns is covid paradise.

My kids have been getting on group call with their friends while they do their class modules every morning. It seems fine.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

Trump kept stepping in to interrupt the doctors who were asked more adult questions to talk about random things such as in 1917 where something happened, he does not seem to know what it actually was nor did he pay enough attention to get the right year.

:ussr:?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I walked by the tv tonight, I can’t watch him anymore, and he says “this virus, it’s very contagious, most people don’t know that right now.” Ty for ur service mr president

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

This virus, it’s very contagious, some people are saying it's the most contagious. I'm not sure about that, but it's probably pretty up there on the contagious level of bad ones. Very. It's very. Some know that the contagious is tremendous, certainly I do. But on the other hand, most people don't know that right now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
He’s not wrong according to the stats.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shaocaholica posted:

He’s not wrong according to the stats.

In part because of him?

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Burt Sexual posted:

I walked by the tv tonight, I can’t watch him anymore, and he says “this virus, it’s very contagious, most people don’t know that right now.” Ty for ur service mr president

Bigly contagious and too smart for antibiotics, they just can’t keep up.

We’re all gonna die.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

coronavirus posted:

Slight problem, your choices for leader to guide us to a comprehensive welfare state utopia is either 1- an egotistical rear end in a top hat who cares more about his image than good policy, or 2- someone who literally can't string together sentences and has trouble understanding the world around him.

Okay, I give up. Which was which in this example?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Well I picked the wrong day to catch up on all my projects

What the hell is a console?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

50s girl groupon posted:

Bigly contagious and too smart for antibiotics, they just can’t keep up.

We’re all gonna die.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Burt Sexual posted:

In part because of him?

I'm not sure but I don't think he can modify the genetic makeup of a virus...... yet

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spinz posted:

Off topic

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Burt Sexual posted:

It was a story dude, poor taste, but thanks for the advice and insult!

I'm not trying to dunk on you or score points, I was pointing out how bad a look it was to see that post unpunished when you clearly had seen it. You've dropped a probe now so it's no longer an issue.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
inoculation programs for teens and kids without preconditions might be a good idea.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

EA Sports posted:

inoculation programs for teens and kids without preconditions might be a good idea.

You just listed two conditions right there!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

that post made me laugh and I appreciate the effort that went into it

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/7BYr10t.gifv

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Spinz posted:

Remember going to the library and finding orange on black text on a computer screen, with keyboard, in front of the card-catalog?

Imagine four antibodies on a cliff, Covid-19 works the same way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Il Federale posted:

i, too, want the west coast to be obliterated by the military

most american soldiers, many of whom are from the west coast and even more of whom have close family and friends on the west coast, are not going to "obliterate" states for taking steps to peacefully leave. and the rightwing elements in the remainder of the country would probably be happy we left.

if there was violent opposition it would more likely come from the various fringe militias within california and oregon, of which there are many

however i dont think newsom is going to go that far anytime soon really

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 17, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dee eight posted:

Bend Over and Open Up Again, America!

BOOUAA!

I was saying BOOUAAs...

50s girl groupon posted:

We’re all gonna die.

I mean at some point, yeah.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Spinz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmW-ScmGRMA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Goatse America

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Lol at the snowflakes itt that refuse to tell children the truth that everyone they know will be dead soon and they'll be living in a lord of the fliesesque hellscape for the remainder of their short and miserable lives.

"Billy, I know it's nice out, but this is important, you're going to need to know these skills some day. Now one more time. Kill the pig..."

"Cut her throat. Spill her blood."

"Good. Now get your conch shell, it's time for your music lessons."

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Earwicker posted:

most american soldiers, many of whom are from the west coast and even more of whom have close family and friends on the west coast, are not going to "obliterate" states for taking steps to peacefully leave. and the rightwing elements in the remainder of the country would probably be happy we left.

if there was violent opposition it would more likely come from the various fringe militias within california and oregon, of which there are many

however i dont think newsom is going to go that far anytime soon really

sorry but theres no way the us will ever peacefully break apart, i dont know why everyone thinks this will ever happen that way

im also amused that everyone thinks their economies would just run smoothly after leaving the us or if the us dissolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Billy, I know it's nice out, but this is important, you're going to need to know these skills some day. Now one more time. Kill the pig..."

"Cut her throat. Spill her blood."

"Good. Now get your conch shell, it's time for your music lessons."

wizard