Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I waited 4 years for the first Zero TL to be awful and the second one to be *Tony the tiger impression* GREAT!

I'll wait another 4 years for a Good Ao translation if I have to.

Also I'm pretty sure I just went 10 hours without a fight in Zero. What a wild game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is anyone even working on an Ao translation?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One of the people who did the stellar Geofront Zero patch tweeted out an interview with the president of Falcom https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/falcom-interview-with-president-toshihiro-kondo-trails-series-ys-ix-monstrum-nox-coming-west-and-more

quote:

Kondo: “I very much regret that we were unable to release Zero and Ao [in the west]. I think that releasing on PlayStation 4 will lead to an opportunity to release these games in North America and Europe.”

Unfortunately I am impatient and having finished Zero earlier this week have been struggling to get Ao to work - it boots fine and everything but it also believes I have a controller plugged in and pressing up and left constantly, no matter what I do. My suspicion is that some esoteric config file somewhere is messing around and I plan to try seeing if the xinput fix can help me in that regard.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I hate to be a downer but Kondo has been talking about a potential Western release for crossbell for years now, no point in thinking about it until the actual annoucement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even in the ideal situation where Zero/Ao would get Western releases, they'd obviously do Zero first so a hypothetical Ao release would be even further out.

I am at least tentatively planning on giving current Ao a whirl after I finish Zero; the timing feels too perfect with Geofront's Zero out now and CS4 out in the Fall.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
At least Zero is the only "first-half" Trails game that ends without a massive cliffhanger

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
I don't know if NISA is even gonna bother with Zero and Ao, honestly. The Crossbell games seem to find the best ways to come out at the worst times. Even if someone had localized them shortly after their Japanese releases, they would've done so at the tail end of the PSP's life cycle and the peak years of its custom firmware piracy scene. The PSP's software sales outside of Japan were horrendous, so it's no wonder nobody wanted to work on those games. Then Falcom kind of forced XSeed's hand with Cold Steel cause they wanted those games out abroad as soon as possible. And now we're near the end of the PS4's life cycle, three games into CS in the west, and NISA are likely already busy with Ys IX in addition to CS4.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SC Bracer posted:

I hate to be a downer but Kondo has been talking about a potential Western release for crossbell for years now, no point in thinking about it until the actual annoucement.

Also the man literally lies all the time, especially about localization

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also, he smells.

Bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think a PS4 port does imply a higher likelihood of a PC port for the two at least, which makes a fan translation also possible (obviously we already have this for Zero, but the hoops for Ao are way higher right now, as I attested above).

Also I've had the (Zero mid-late final chapter) battle music from the showdown outside the IBC stuck in my head (and my playlist) ever since playing that bit. So drat good.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
If there's a pc port it'll be post localization because the ports are done by NISA not Falcom.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I assume the Geofront group will take a stab at Ao eventually?

I’m going ahead with the existing translation as soon as I’m up for another long JRPG though.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I don't know if NISA is even gonna bother with Zero and Ao, honestly. The Crossbell games seem to find the best ways to come out at the worst times. Even if someone had localized them shortly after their Japanese releases, they would've done so at the tail end of the PSP's life cycle and the peak years of its custom firmware piracy scene. The PSP's software sales outside of Japan were horrendous, so it's no wonder nobody wanted to work on those games. Then Falcom kind of forced XSeed's hand with Cold Steel cause they wanted those games out abroad as soon as possible. And now we're near the end of the PS4's life cycle, three games into CS in the west, and NISA are likely already busy with Ys IX in addition to CS4.

PS5 is backwards compatible isn't it?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'd be willing to bet one of the conditions for the Falcom-Nisa Combi was that Nisa promised to localize all the current games even in the event of PS5. Plus it takes at least 2 years for any given console to stop relying on BC and games being released on both consoles before it can really start getting its own games, so we got about 3 years before its even remotely too late for the localization specific PS4 ports to be unviable and we only need to get Zero out by then due to sequel user drop. Basically as long as they focus on Zero before Hajimari we should be fine.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't really think the PS5 is a major factor in any business decisions right now for niche rpg devs, we got PS3 games until 2017 and we'll get PS4 games until 2024 or whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Also the man literally lies all the time, especially about localization
Also he did 9/11

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I became Batman due to Kondo; I'll spare you the whole story, you've probably heard it before.

But seriously he annoys me at worst.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I love the man personally. He got hired for being a big fan, and now runs the company, I get the feeling he wears his heart on his sleeve and wants everyone to enjoy Falcom's games but the world doesn't necessarily run on that feeling, so things don't go the way he wants even after he says them, especially outside of Japan where he can't do the work himself.

Definitely my favorite game company dude.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

I love the man personally. He got hired for being a big fan, and now runs the company

Okay I did not know that, that owns.

I'm finding it kinda funny that I went from "Ys Origins? Eh it's cheap guess I'll try it" to now obsessively trying to play fanpatches because I can't get enough with just the official western Falcom releases.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Red Red Blue posted:

PS5 is backwards compatible isn't it?

It's not a matter of availability. It's just that most people who care about Falcom's IPs are gonna be more interested in their new releases rather than ports of decade-old games. NISA would most likely want to focus on the former than the latter since it'll make them more money.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Okay I did not know that, that owns.

I'm finding it kinda funny that I went from "Ys Origins? Eh it's cheap guess I'll try it" to now obsessively trying to play fanpatches because I can't get enough with just the official western Falcom releases.

Yeah he ran a fansite for Legend of Heroes 3, and when he applied for Falcom they knew about him and hired him for internet savvyness and fanitude.

Same, Falcom's the only company where I'll eat up every single game they release. Something about their high speed action RPGs just clicks with me despite not being big on RPGs with minimal story, Garghav may have been marred by a lovely localization but I could still see the shining gem underneath, and Trails is literally the game series made for me as a Story Gamer. Even if they took a break from Trails to reboot any of their IPs I'd still be happy.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
I don't get Kondo's fanboyism for LoH3. Almost nothing happens in that game. It has riveting story sequences like... talking to people around town to get ingredients for a cooking contest and uh... talking to an old lady in a swamp to get a new string for some traveling bard's lyre.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I don't get Kondo's fanboyism for LoH3. Almost nothing happens in that game. It has riveting story sequences like... talking to people around town to get ingredients for a cooking contest and uh... talking to an old lady in a swamp to get a new string for some traveling bard's lyre.

Not sure what you mean this sounds great.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Metroixer posted:

Not sure what you mean this sounds great.

What I mean is that most of LoH3 is a soporific borefest. Most scenarios in the game up end up feeling like BP/DP/AP fodder requests from Trails, but with none of the cool world building flourishes that makes those fun the in the latter. It's one of the few JRPGs I've played where I'd firmly say that the story is low key to a fault. It's very hard to get invested in the world and characters in that game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

First of all its a game from 1994, right before the big console switch that nearly killed Falcom, so Falcom was still a household name in Japan. Which obviously does wonders since Falcom was just as popular as Enix and Square before that. And while I've never played the original PC versions, I'd compare the Garghav games very favorably to Dragon Quest and FF at the time. It might have even been the first major RPG that wasnt a save the world fest too, so that'd be a huge selling point.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MythosDragon posted:

First of all its a game from 1994, right before the big console switch that nearly killed Falcom, so Falcom was still a household name in Japan. Which obviously does wonders since Falcom was just as popular as Enix and Square before that. And while I've never played the original PC versions, I'd compare the Garghav games very favorably to Dragon Quest and FF at the time. It might have even been the first major RPG that wasnt a save the world fest too, so that'd be a huge selling point.

:shrug: FFVI was that year (Actually it came out just 2 weeks later), and I consider it to do better. And DQV was 2 years before that, and had one of if not the best stories in the series.

They're not, like, super enormously vastly better, mind. But I think they do better.

Nowadays Trails blows both of those series out of the water in this regard. Though a solid chunk of that is probably due to Kondo anyway.

... and I'll count the FF series as a whole so you can't blame it's loss on it dropping to poo poo for the past decade.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Same year as Secret of Mana too, definitely a lot of competition there.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

First of all its a game from 1994, right before the big console switch that nearly killed Falcom, so Falcom was still a household name in Japan. Which obviously does wonders since Falcom was just as popular as Enix and Square before that.

...no they weren't. Falcom was long past their prime by 1994. The vast majority of their senior staff had quit by 1989 thanks to their founder and ex-president Masayuki Kato being a greedy dickhead. By the mid-90s, they were already a niche developer mostly relegated to the otaku gaming market on NEC platforms like the PC-98 and PC Engine.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Idkbutlike2 posted:

...no they weren't. Falcom was long past their prime by 1994. The vast majority of their senior staff had quit by 1989 thanks to their founder and ex-president Masayuki Kato being a greedy dickhead. By the mid-90s, they were already a niche developer mostly relegated to the otaku gaming market on NEC platforms like the PC-98 and PC Engine.

Really now? I honestly knew nothing about that. I just attributed the death of PC gaming in japan to the playstation due to it ending Nintendo's near monopoly on consoles which lead to more options which lead to people saying "eww non dedicated gaming devices". I've also never seen a sega console in my life so I forgot they exist.

Supremezero posted:

:shrug: FFVI was that year (Actually it came out just 2 weeks later), and I consider it to do better. And DQV was 2 years before that, and had one of if not the best stories in the series.

They're not, like, super enormously vastly better, mind. But I think they do better.

Sounds like you agree with what I said tbh. And I did have a draft where I said I considered it above FF6 and below DQ5, but cut it due to off topic and trying to follow forum rules.

On that note, I don't use forums much besides this one whenever I'm actually playing Trails and wanna talk to people other than the 3 I got into the series. I know there are general forum rules against going off topic and mentioning "spoilers", which I try to do when relevant, but it feels like that just leads to others pointing out the fact that I typed around those issues. Is there some trick I'm not aware of?

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

Really now? I honestly knew nothing about that. I just attributed the death of PC gaming in japan to the playstation due to it ending Nintendo's near monopoly on consoles which lead to more options which lead to people saying "eww non dedicated gaming devices". I've also never seen a sega console in my life so I forgot they exist.

Falcom's decline didn't really come part in parcel with the decline of Japanese PC gaming. Hell, the only reason they stayed in that market is because Masayuki Kato wanted them to. You can attribute a lot of Falcom's failings to his poor management. He's very much an old fashioned bean counting business executive who cares more about pleasing shareholders and his bottom line than supporting his creative staff. Back in the 80s, he didn't give kickbacks or salary increases when Falcom's games surpassed sales expectations. He also forbade Falcom's developers from working on console games for quite a few years, thinking the he could rely on third party ports to cover that market. He also hosed up Ys III's development, or rather the development of an original side scroller title that got turned into Ys III at the last minute. After Ys III released to mediocre sales and reception, many senior developers had grown tired of Kato's poo poo and all but four quit Falcom before 1989 was over.

Needless to say, this mass quitting spree dealt a massive blow to Falcom as a company - one that I still think they haven't recovered from.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Falcom's decline didn't really come part in parcel with the decline of Japanese PC gaming. Hell, the only reason they stayed in that market is because Masayuki Kato wanted them to. You can attribute a lot of Falcom's failings to his poor management. He's very much an old fashioned bean counting business executive who cares more about pleasing shareholders and his bottom line than supporting his creative staff. Back in the 80s, he didn't give kickbacks or salary increases when Falcom's games surpassed sales expectations. He also forbade Falcom's developers from working on console games for quite a few years, thinking the he could rely on third party ports to cover that market. He also hosed up Ys III's development, or rather the development of an original side scroller title that got turned into Ys III at the last minute. After Ys III released to mediocre sales and reception, many senior developers had grown tired of Kato's poo poo and all but four quit Falcom before 1989 was over.

Needless to say, this mass quitting spree dealt a massive blow to Falcom as a company - one that I still think they haven't recovered from.

Thanks for the history lesson, can't find anything like this anywhere.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If trying to ship Joshua and Estelle is Liberl's national pastime, and getting into Rean's pants is Erebonia's, what's Crossbell's national pastime?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Watching Cops

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

Thanks for the history lesson, can't find anything like this anywhere.

I first heard about the fiasco in this video, which includes a bunch of interview bits from former Falcom and Hudson employees that went into it. Some people in another Falcom community managed to corroborate it with other interviews and publications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxbq1uxGHcA&t=803s

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Junpei posted:

If trying to ship Joshua and Estelle is Liberl's national pastime, and getting into Rean's pants is Erebonia's, what's Crossbell's national pastime?

So far its saying "gently caress the Police, Bracers RULE."
I predict it will shift shortly into trying to get into Lloyds pants cuz god drat, Rean aint got nothing on this kid.

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I first heard about the fiasco in this video, which includes a bunch of interview bits from former Falcom and Hudson employees that went into it. Some people in another Falcom community managed to corroborate it with other interviews and publications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxbq1uxGHcA&t=803s

Wow, I vaguely remember reading something about Actraiser being made by Falcom employes years back. but thats pretty sad, and no wonder there are multiple versions of old Ys games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

LoH 3 is a game that's improved by playing LoH 4 and 5 I think, since they tie in so beautifully to 3 since they're both prequels to 3. Though yeah, 3 on its own with no context is kind of basic.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MythosDragon posted:

I predict it will shift shortly into trying to get into Lloyds pants cuz god drat, Rean aint got nothing on this kid.

Wow, I vaguely remember reading something about Actraiser being made by Falcom employes years back. but thats pretty sad, and no wonder there are multiple versions of old Ys games.

Rean gets more than Lloyd, but that's pretty much entirely on there being more women in erebonia.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Enjoy Grace constantly making GBS threads on you.

And for those who are about to correct me I know she changes her tune later, I'm talking early game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember Ys 2 being mostly magic spam for bosses did they change it for the PSP port or has it just been that long since I played it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's like ten versions of Ys 1&2

But at least in the latest ones I'm pretty sure all the bosses are only vulnerable to magic, but it certainly doesn't feel like bad design or "spammy" there. That video is talking about the originals which I haven't played and don't want to play.