Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Achmed Jones posted:

Animoog is the best misic app for iPhone that I've used. I loved Korg gadget at first, but it's interface just didn't click with me, though I'm sure it's better on an iPad. I love the synths in there, though.

I really really recommend that you get Animoog. It's so , so worth the money. The MIDI pack is like $3, and then you can use your computer to sequence it, giving you chords for pads and leads for melodies and stuff. I'd legit pay $100 no questions asked for a VST of animoog

It's good, also remember you can load custom waves :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you can wait, gadget and the other Korg apps go on heavy discount (50%) multiple times a year (black Friday, December holidays and New Years, etc)

That said, you probably do need apps/instruments/gear and gadget gives you a lot for the money. But if you wanted to spend $20-40 you’re probably initially better served with other apps.

What kind of music are you hoping to make?

Yeah I’ve checked out the sales on gadget and I guess it’s worth waiting for. The switch version is £24~ right now but i think it’s limited compared with iOS.

I’ve been walking in the hills recently so they kind of thing I want to make right now is ambienty kind of stuff somewhere in between no mans sky and tron legacy...

But honestly I spend most of my time just noodling around with my otamatone and PO and seeing what comes out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LeFishy posted:

Yeah I’ve checked out the sales on gadget and I guess it’s worth waiting for. The switch version is £24~ right now but i think it’s limited compared with iOS.

I’ve been walking in the hills recently so they kind of thing I want to make right now is ambienty kind of stuff somewhere in between no mans sky and tron legacy...

But honestly I spend most of my time just noodling around with my otamatone and PO and seeing what comes out.

Yeah, do not get the switch version. It’s impressive and cool that they ported it but the hardware is nowhere near ideal for this and there’s zero avenue for expansion or connecting to other apps/devices. Waste of money and storage on the console.

I’m on my phone and I’m not gonna do an in depth write up- though I’ve been thinking that we should do some thread necromancy on the old NMD iOS music thread that died like 2 years ago- so I’mma just list a bunch of apps that I have and like, and you can research them at your own pace.

There’s a good and growing scene around iOS music as players add them to their setups or use them to replace/supplement computers and older hardware devices. There’s a ton of good YouTube and forum posting out there.

Some apps I like:

GarageBand (duh)
Animoog
Moog Model 15
Fugue Machine
Patterning 2
Audiobus 3- this is a routing/mixing app and probably the first thing you should buy once you have 2-3 apps. Also the Preset saving function is excellent. You can save entire sessions/tracks and it’ll save the in-app settings for individual apps too. So it’ll like repopulate your piano roll and tweak your knobs and poo poo, even if the music app in question is super fussy and obtuse about saving patterns/presets.
Samplr
Borderlands
Xynthesizr
iMS-20
iDS-10
iM1
ODYSSEYi
Gadget 2
Moog model D
Virtual ANS 3
TC-11 (goonmade!)
Photophore
Arturia iSEM
Synth One

Thousands more, many really nice that I simply don’t have or can’t remember.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Brilliant thank you I already have some of these but I’ll dig through the list!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Counterpoint to the switch version: If you travel as much as I used to (not relevant right now, unfortunately), I was already bringing my Switch with me on every trip, so it was one less device to bring if I wanted to do some music making on an airplane or something. I also still boot it up often, my Switch is plugged into my TV, so it's a good way to kill 10-15 minutes on the couch before doing something more substantial. I wouldn't prioritize it over better ways to make music, but it's definitely a great toy, especially with the Sega pack.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gadget was 100% my favorite way of making little loops while on the train to work, back before March when trains and the concept of commuting existed. It's the quickest way I've found to jot down little sequences.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really want to sync Gadget to my korg volcas via midi but either my lighting> usb connector is broke or my USB>Midi connector and neither is cheap and I cant be bothered to troubleshoot it.

Anyway spacecraft granular is the best ipad synth app ive owned and one of the few where ive been like "yes this totally is superior to any other format due to the touchpad"

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

LeFishy posted:

So something about lockdown is making me want to make music. I'm actually working from home so it's not like an abundance of time or anything like that though.

I've got... zero musical experience (I guess I played recorder in primary school) a couple of crappy instruments (otamatone and £7 harmonica) that I can't play and a PO-Arcade that I enjoy making bad loops on.

I want to buy a new toy to play with to add some more sounds to my repertoire.

Gadget 2 on ios is looking mighty tempting but £40 for an app (i know i know) seems mad to me. Is it worth the drop for someone with only teeny experience making loops on a PO and in nanoloop ios? The other option would probably be picking up another PO (robot or factory) so any advice is appreciated... I've been toddling around the forums trying to pick the best thread to post in and you guys have mentioned gadget a non-zero number of times so i figured this is the place.

GarageBand is free on any Apple Device you’ve got and has a couple real killer features. Free interactive lessons on the Mac to literally teach you guitar or piano, a really really deep synth called Alchemy you can do a lot of good poo poo with, the iOS version has a pretty sweet live view and has really fun touch instruments like guitars you can stretch the strings of and stuff. Tons of loops you can throw together. And it has a “live drummer” that can figure out your tempo and play along with you like a virtual band mate. Lots of cool poo poo.

And if you want to take it to the next level I t has full compatibility with Logic Pro both in a workflow sense and in a literal all your tracks just work.

So before you spend a bunch of money on gadget, give GarageBand a good rinsing because it’s loving great and entirely free.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Arturia did a really good job of making me think that every piece of gear I own is worthless unless I have a Keystep Pro

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
Gadget is incredibly useful, though it does go on sale a few times a year. Use AppSliced to keep track of iOS music app prices.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MIDI, week 2. I'm getting sounds from the rack that are amazing. Finally have a track down-ish, but as disparate clips in an audio track. Tomorrow I need to dive into more Ableton tutorials.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is cool, I dig it. Lots of fun texture and it leads my brain to weird places. Thanks for sharing!

Hey thanks for listening and for the positive feedback. Little comments like that are very rewarding, especially from other musicians!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, do not get the switch version. It’s impressive and cool that they ported it but the hardware is nowhere near ideal for this and there’s zero avenue for expansion or connecting to other apps/devices. Waste of money and storage on the console.

I’m on my phone and I’m not gonna do an in depth write up- though I’ve been thinking that we should do some thread necromancy on the old NMD iOS music thread that died like 2 years ago- so I’mma just list a bunch of apps that I have and like, and you can research them at your own pace.

There’s a good and growing scene around iOS music as players add them to their setups or use them to replace/supplement computers and older hardware devices. There’s a ton of good YouTube and forum posting out there.

Some apps I like:

GarageBand (duh)
Animoog
Moog Model 15
Fugue Machine
Patterning 2
Audiobus 3- this is a routing/mixing app and probably the first thing you should buy once you have 2-3 apps. Also the Preset saving function is excellent. You can save entire sessions/tracks and it’ll save the in-app settings for individual apps too. So it’ll like repopulate your piano roll and tweak your knobs and poo poo, even if the music app in question is super fussy and obtuse about saving patterns/presets.
Samplr
Borderlands
Xynthesizr
iMS-20
iDS-10
iM1
ODYSSEYi
Gadget 2
Moog model D
Virtual ANS 3
TC-11 (goonmade!)
Photophore
Arturia iSEM
Synth One

Thousands more, many really nice that I simply don’t have or can’t remember.

I'm gonna have to dig through this, all I have are Garageband and Moog Model D.

I also have the Roli Seaboard app but it doesn't play with Garageband so it's basically useless to me outside playing around with it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm gonna have to dig through this, all I have are Garageband and Moog Model D.

I also have the Roli Seaboard app but it doesn't play with Garageband so it's basically useless to me outside playing around with it.

I don’t have a seaboard but couldn’t you use internal MIDI/audio routing or an app such as Audiobus to route the seaboard app into GB? Maybe check the midi/audio settings in both apps.

Alternatively, does the seaboard work as a midi device without the app?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Mr. Dick asked me to post his boner jam. He said he'd be back after the DNC hands Sanders the nomination in disgrace and he then goes on to win the general.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g6khn4evb1yyq8u/mrdickgetthisbread.rar/file

Still need finalized entries from a few of you.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

The Voice of Labor posted:

I think you can grab a lossless copy of mine here: https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/i-changed-my-name-extended-mix/ There's some liner notes material, too.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I have no idea if this would be any use to anyone, but here's all the factory patches for Yamahas FM synth's (Not the little two-op toys but I think all the rest?) converted into KXP for FM7? or FM8? + manuals....

https://www.sendspace.com/file/pvp8k2

Sorting my antique hard-drives currently which is a trip. Hopefully the link will sit for eternity.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Mr. Dick asked me to post his boner jam. He said he'd be back after the DNC hands Sanders the nomination in disgrace and he then goes on to win the general.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g6khn4evb1yyq8u/mrdickgetthisbread.rar/file

plan on wrapping it to tonight chief

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks to everyone's advice I've downloaded a bunch of free and cheap iOS stuff on my ipad (i genuinely had no idea that apps could be used as instruments in garageband so look out for my bebot only 6 hour epic album coming soon).

Instead of buying Gadget now I'll wait for a sale there has been one in April/May the last couple of years. Gonna get another PO to wander the hills with. Just need to pick which now hahaha.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

a mysterious cloak posted:

Man, I'm thinking about selling the Minilogue XD. It's awesome, but I am just not using it much. I'm spending hours in V Collection and that seems to scratch the itch. Plus I want a Hydrasynth anyway.

Don't tempt me. I've been saving up for the XD module (I like desktop form factor) but I need to finish my basement before I buy any more gear.

...or maybe do tempt me. I don't know.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqV5iwnknW0

Oh God this thing looks and sounds so good.
Ugh that matte finish, silver face and classic knobs are just perfect but the switches are what REALLY set the whole classic aesthetic off.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't tempt me. I've been saving up for the XD module (I like desktop form factor) but I need to finish my basement before I buy any more gear.

...or maybe do tempt me. I don't know.

I'll let you know if I decide to sell!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqV5iwnknW0

Oh God this thing looks and sounds so good.
Ugh that matte finish, silver face and classic knobs are just perfect but the switches are what REALLY set the whole classic aesthetic off.

I am such a sucker for physical modeling e-pianos, and if I didn't already have GSI's collection I'd buy that so so fast. A coworker of mine has one and he seems to love it.

BTW it's from Dr. Kunimoto, one of the engineers behind the VL series. Here's an interview if you want to watch him geek out about it for 15 minutes:

https://youtu.be/nW3eLspRKgA

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 17, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

First time getting the DAW to do the heavy lifting, all I did after setup was hit record and turn one knob for the drop.

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/06-06-06-06a

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

snorch posted:

I am such a sucker for physical modeling e-pianos, and if I didn't already have GSI's collection I'd buy that so so fast. A coworker of mine has one and he seems to love it.

BTW it's from Dr. Kunimoto, one of the engineers behind the VL series. Here's an interview if you want to watch him geek out about it for 15 minutes:

https://youtu.be/nW3eLspRKgA

Thanks for the link! Interesting stuff. I watched a bunch of videos on the vl stuff last year and one of the racks is right up there on my dream gear list.

After this and the physical modelling stuff posted the last few days I decided to muck around with some basic stuff myself. Put a single cycle of a triangle in a sampler and played it through a delay with high feedback and really short delay (I think this is the idea behind karplus strong?). As long as the delay has a filter in the loop you can make some really interesting sounds, got some great bongos and gong sounds. Got an okay marimba sound by resampling and playing up and down the keyboard but I think you'd get more 'realistic' results by tuning the delay to each note you want.

Might whip up a puredata patch later on, I'm interested to see what this technique sounds like with an additive synth providing the initial impulse.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah tuned delay lines are one of the most basic building blocks of physical modeling, because you can basically model the propagation of a wave with just a single multiply-add for each point your model is "listening" to. Karplus-Strong smooths the feedback line with a simple averaging filter, most other pluck models used more refined filters to achieve certain timbrea. The Volca Drum had a simple tuned delay that they were audacious enough to call a "waveguide", and I was a bit disappointed that they didn't do more with it, since you can get a lot of versatility out of a few simple variations of it.

For extra fun if you're messing around in pd, try mixing different lengths of delays together, and/or feeding them back into each other. I saw a guy doing drum head models using what he said were just a few delay lines slightly detuned from one another.

snorch fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 18, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

snorch, you gonna come with a bonerjam a few days after the deadline?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah I have a volca drum, I think that feature is pretty much useless because its shared between all the voices. If there was one per voice maybe it would be useful except for novelty.

Thanks for the idea, I made what I think is a pretty nice tuned metal mallet/bell sound with two detuned delay lines (its just one note resampled so not perfect but pretty useable imo):
https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/physmo1/s-1dR9KPkoUn0

this is a bongo using one delay line, again not perfect but completely ok in a mix I reckon. This one has some convolution reverb chucked on it:
https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/physmo3/s-nJQ7ygaQ8D8

Got any recommendations for resources/literature on this topic?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Thanks Voice Of Labor.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qbg7c7reghxuxqj/Sweet_Joke_Nectar_Laborjams.zip/file

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Am I getting the wrong impression about how/that people are "automating" their bleeps and bloops with hardware synthesizers? It seems a lot more experimental, putting in a single sound or multiple sounds, letting the synth run with it and even play with it, twirling knobs, pressing buttons, than what I'm doing with a midi keyboard and a DAW. There's obviously a hurdle I have to get over with being able to intuitively play an interesting progression, and another on top of it, and another, but either people are making things look extremely easy through ability and practice, or there's another approach to synthesized music with layers, loops and levels that I'm not getting yet.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

snorch, you gonna come with a bonerjam a few days after the deadline?

Well now you've asked me straight and as a laboring man I can't not. Stand by.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just getting something out of my system. I can't stop just playing with Rings. Sequenced this bit rather than generative. (Sounds the same I think which maybe speaks to Marbles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZVoFhlUvdo

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

welll poo, i got roped into working for the weekend and did not get a chance to work on this at all, clearly The Man is fearful of bonerjams and trying to keep me from releasing a polished track

https://we.tl/t-dZyuh8OXwp

there's the .wav file mr labor

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Take a few extra days to work on your track. There's enough of a lead that a straggler or two can be accommodated. Don't let the man silence the voice of Delaware.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Take a few extra days to work on your track. There's enough of a lead that a straggler or two can be accommodated. Don't let the man silence the voice of Delaware.

Oooooooh, maybe I'll be able to get something in.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'ma see if I can come up with something too. I ended up having to devote all of my energy to some other (very fun) projects and lost sight of this one, but those are done now.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mrenda posted:

Am I getting the wrong impression about how/that people are "automating" their bleeps and bloops with hardware synthesizers? It seems a lot more experimental, putting in a single sound or multiple sounds, letting the synth run with it and even play with it, twirling knobs, pressing buttons, than what I'm doing with a midi keyboard and a DAW. There's obviously a hurdle I have to get over with being able to intuitively play an interesting progression, and another on top of it, and another, but either people are making things look extremely easy through ability and practice, or there's another approach to synthesized music with layers, loops and levels that I'm not getting yet.

I shake it up depending on how I feel and who I'm writing for. My Spintunes stuff is super arranged because I wrote it for an audience who are all indie singer/songwriters. They are looking for macro things like verses/chorus/bridge and micro things like key and chord progression. Mostly I lean on standard changes and happy accidents. As in, "Minnow" is a Gilligan's Island tribute, so I took the chords from the original TV theme. (Chromaticism in 60s mass media? What?)

Here's one where I picked my own chords from scratch. I wrote it in 2-4 bar chunks, mostly with oddball ideas for chord changes that would defy expectations. It's been years since my music education, so it veers towards outsider art.

On the other hand, Chicken of Tommorrow is all experimental/improvisational stuff, albeit experimenting in my DAW. Literally experiments, I was trying different ways to randomize sounds in Ableton and was happy enough with the results. "Joyous Tick" is the good bit out of about twenty minutes noodling with a MIDI joystick mapped to a delay plugin.

"Horse Sonorities" is closer to what you mention about letting the synth run. It's a multitracked recording of a Bitranger. I try to keep the rerecords doing different things, whether using slower LFOs or different timbres. There's a bit of an improvisational element doing four-track takes, but by the last recording I usually have an idea of where the stresses and releases are going to be, and I try to follow what's already on the tape.

What helps my ego a lot is when I listen to commercial music, I pick out some lick/chord/rhythm and ask myself "Would I let myself publish this lick?"

"Yeah!" Cool, then how about I borrow this for my next song. Once I figure out why I like it.

"No!" Well, why not? Is it so godawful? Maybe you're holding yourself to an unreasonable standard. Ease up a bit. Or maybe the thing on the radio is in fact complete garbage, in which case you should one-up the damned sellout putz. Give it another hate-listen and figure out where you think the lick goes wrong, and what you would do to make it better.

So Math fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 18, 2020

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

So Math posted:

I shake it up depending on how I feel and who I'm writing for. My Spintunes stuff is super arranged because I wrote it for an audience who are all indie singer/songwriters. They are looking for macro things like verses/chorus/bridge and micro things like key and chord progression. Mostly I lean on standard changes and happy accidents. As in, "Minnow" is a Gilligan's Island tribute, so I took the chords from the original TV theme. (Chromaticism in 60s mass media? What?)

Here's one where I picked my own chords from scratch. I wrote it in 2-4 bar chunks, mostly with oddball ideas for chord changes that would defy expectations. It's been years since my music education, so it veers towards outsider art.

On the other hand, Chicken of Tommorrow is all experimental/improvisational stuff, albeit experimenting in my DAW. Literally experiments, I was trying different ways to randomize sounds in Ableton and was happy enough with the results. "Joyous Tick" is the good bit out of about twenty minutes noodling with a MIDI joystick mapped to a delay plugin.

What helps my ego a lot is when I listen to commercial music, I pick out some lick/chord/rhythm and ask myself "Would I let myself publish this lick?"

"Yeah!" Cool, then how about I borrow this for my next song. Once I figure out why I like it.

"No!" Well, why not? Is it so godawful? Maybe you're holding yourself to an unreasonable standard. Ease up a bit. Or maybe the thing on the radio is in fact complete garbage, in which case you should one-up the damned sellout putz. Give it another hate-listen and figure out where you think the lick goes wrong, and what you would do to make it better.

Cool, that tells me there is a level of electronic knob twiddling going on, but how is that actually done? Is it like using arpeggiators and having it play out from a single note? I think oscillators can just keep running and you can alter them mid-flow, but how do you generate the waveform and keep it going to alter?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mrenda posted:

Cool, that tells me there is a level of electronic knob twiddling going on, but how is that actually done? Is it like using arpeggiators and having it play out from a single note? I think oscillators can just keep running and you can alter them mid-flow, but how do you generate the waveform and keep it going to alter?

This is going to vary depending on what you're using to make sound. What are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Mrenda posted:

Hardware can be its own way to compose and arrange. Many synths have a pattern sequencer built in, 1 or 2 of these plus a drum machine gives you 3 running sequences. While these run, you tweak controls and possibly play live with it, and edit the effects, it’s just as you say, another approach. To try this, you could try setting up a loop area in your daw, and overdub tweaks to the plugins, doing different controls each time. Another possibility are the affordable classic instrument replicas from Behringer, which are affordable, sound good, but lack conveniences like patch memory.