Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Aren't they the lads that grew weed in Lock Stock?

Curtains boy stole my workshirts.

Finally, someone giving a voice to the voiceless.

Golly would you look at the time! Is it 2006 already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Are these loving limp-dicked tosswipes badmouthing IDLES?

I seem to remember the IDLES vocalist saying something about how he wanted to open conversations with people on the other side politically rather than just preach to the converted (I'm massively paraphrasing but it was something to that effect) which I have to admit doesn't sit that well with me, but like. I certainly wouldn't read that and go "whillikers! what militancy!" like these snotty cambridge wankers are doing.

I'm Scum is a banger for all time though I can look past finding them mildly corny at times on the strength of that

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Guavanaut posted:

Aren't they the lads that grew weed in Lock Stock?

Curtains boy stole my workshirts.

Finally, someone giving a voice to the voiceless.

Poundland House of Lords up front right

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

From the Graun liveblog

quote:

The government should allow people resilient to the coronavirus – the young, fit, slim, and non-smokers – to return to work to build-up herd immunity, and save the economy, according to two leading vets.

It is a cat analogy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Where the gently caress is a heroin dealer when you need one?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

From the Graun liveblog

It is a cat analogy

As an old fat smoker I am absolutely 100% behind this plan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bionic vapour boy posted:

I seem to remember the IDLES vocalist saying something about how he wanted to open conversations with people on the other side politically rather than just preach to the converted (I'm massively paraphrasing but it was something to that effect) which I have to admit doesn't sit that well with me

I'm okay with reaching out to the misguided, like our Lord and Saviour Jesus did.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bobstar posted:

From the Graun liveblog

It is a cat analogy

Does 'vets' mean veterans or veterinarians here?

And which is more stupid?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Labour MP caught boxshaming

https://twitter.com/angelaeagle/status/1251104249091690496?s=19

TIBFKS

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

kingturnip posted:

The thing about all of this for me is that this should have been such an easy 'win' for the Govt, from a political perspective.
It's a global health crisis, so all they had to do was pull out all the stops to fight it.
They've got a media that fellates them, so although there would probably be a number of deaths - and a massive amount of inconvenience - there wouldn't be much backlash.
Plus - bonus for the Tories - the following economic crash would make it easy to just slash and burn public services afterwards, while still making them look strong on the NHS.

And yet, they're just so mind-bogglingly incompetent that they've hosed it up at every step.

I've been saying this for ages, but the tories are not even good at being the tories.

Like if you read between the lines about their political aims, they are loving awful at achieving them considering what an advantage they have.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

namesake posted:

Does 'vets' mean veterans or veterinarians here?

And which is more stupid?

The latter. Do we say vets for veterans in the UK? It's silly that they do in the US, surely they should shorten the one that's long and hard to say

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

big scary monsters posted:

And if you read around it comes from the name given to some early Christian sect who were excommunicated and may or may not actually be related to the people the term now refers to.

"Zigeuner" is considered a slur in German but is also still a pretty common term - there was some uproar about Baden-Württemberg banning restaurants referring to a dish as Zigeunerschnitzel (now Balkanschnitzel).

Someone I used to work with years ago called their child Tzigane after a piece of music and now I'm wondering if they ever googled it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/socofcolour/status/1251115109293981696?s=21

Could be a group to watch for folks ITT looking for places to organise.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Captain Tom is releasing a single.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IIRC they're those weird horizontal helicopter drive things that tugs use so they're basically 100% maneuvering thrusters.

e: These things, but I can't find the spec of the current ferries so I'm still not sure if that's what they use.

The new Woolwich ferries use azimuth thrusters (basically conventional propellers that can be swivelled through 360 degrees), with diesel-electric hybrid drive. They also have a neat magnetic docking system where big magnetic clamps hold the ferry in place at the pier, instead of needing either deckhands to wrap warps around bollards or to use the engines to hold the ferry in place.

I've only been on the Woolwich ferry once, and that was in the early 2000s so it was the old boats. The eerie thing was going down to the passenger saloon under the car deck - rows and rows of wooden bench seats, and all completely empty since most 'passengers' either stay in their vehicles or stay on deck. It had a strangely spooky feel to it. Turns out the ferries were designed with a 1000-person passenger capacity when they were drawn up in the early '60s to handle the massive movement of dockers, labourers and factory workers crossing the river each morning and evening. And within a decade virtually all that traffic had vanished. The modern ferries are designed for only 150 foot passengers at a time. Like a little time capsule of a past era.

That is my Woolwich Ferry story.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Darth Walrus posted:

Could be a group to watch for folks ITT looking for places to organise.

Don't leave, organise is another, despite their regrettable choice of spelling.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1251103002703925248?s=21

JLM doing great work promoting their anti-racist bona fides.

Laffo, there's no restriction on discussing the report other than the existing COVID rules on meeting in person. Formby's statement literally said that "Executive Committees may organise informal meetings with members via telephone or video conferencing".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was wondering why there would be an instruction not to talk about the report given that yeah, as far as I know we're all on corona hiatus anyway. Nobody's meeting anywhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

And if you read around it comes from the name given to some early Christian sect who were excommunicated and may or may not actually be related to the people the term now refers to.

"Zigeuner" is considered a slur in German but is also still a pretty common term - there was some uproar about Baden-Württemberg banning restaurants referring to a dish as Zigeunerschnitzel (now Balkanschnitzel).
I knew it was dated, and the abbreviations bad, but 'untouchable' :yikes:

Euros loved associating random peoples with various biblical or early Christian sects as a simple post-hoc rationalization of why the peoples were good/bad (like with the Curse of Ham).

I remember a non-Roma Romanian guy basically saying (paraphrasing), that as a non-native English speaker if he saw 'antiziganism' in the wild in English, because of the history/slur and it's uncommon nature in English, he would assume at first glance that person was some kind of fash making a "Roma go away" statement using weirdo fash slang, so going forward I always use anti-Traveller, because it covers all travelling peoples (or anti-Roma where it involves them) and because if our words of inclusivity make us sound like fash to ESL people then they're not very inclusive, ymmv though, I'm not sure where the current state of that debate is.

Jewish people have definitely done a better job rehabilitating antisemitism from "a good idea actually" to what it actually means, but it seems Roma have lacked the opportunity to do that.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Where the gently caress is a heroin dealer when you need one?
Front and centre ordered some heroin off the dark web 'just to try' but it was actually Latvian baby laxative.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crispix posted:

Britain's Got Talent has much to answer for.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Took a walk this morning and noticed a few houses who appear to be having a game of one-upmanship when it comes to pandemic gratefulness decorations. The current winner (imho) has gone for a rather fancy fabric "thank you" banner and some bunting. I hope it just keeps escalating and escalating.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Someone I used to work with years ago called their child Tzigane after a piece of music and now I'm wondering if they ever googled it.

How old is the child now? Remember google wasn't really a thing til the early 2000s and many many people didn't have computers let alone internet back then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1250846443121848320?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

the Curse of Ham

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

how many of those cunts do you think died of rage when the 2017 result came in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it a hijacking if you just offer to buy the car and tell the driver to keep going wherever they were going?

Like how would you even tell if john woodcock was writing it?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I liked Midsommar but Hereditary was better.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OK confess - who's in the whatsapp group for this band?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/27/sports-team-the-indie-stars-romanticising-middle-england

Some really boring and tedious sounding band.

It's Mumford and Sons for a new generation of boring cunts who don't actually like music

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

If I were the praying type, I'd be praying that Vera Lynn doesn't die of COVID-19.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How old is the child now? Remember google wasn't really a thing til the early 2000s and many many people didn't have computers let alone internet back then.

Altavista, Lycos etc go back further though. I remember Google coming out and liking the clean, no-ads interface, but web search is rather older than that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

God drat it's an absurdly nice day.

When I woke up and saw how great it was I said to myself "let's go to the beach in Nairn" and then remembered I can't.

Virus is super boring

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is there a better search engine than Google or a way to make Google not suck?

It just doesn't bother actually looking for the specific thing you ask for anymore

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Altavista, Lycos etc go back further though. I remember Google coming out and liking the clean, no-ads interface, but web search is rather older than that.

Oh yes I know. I mostly used yahoo for basic searching and excite for scientific searching back in the (very) late 90s when I was doing my PhD and before google.

But my point is really that most people didn't have internet (or even computers) back then but as OP mentioned Google, I mentioned that too.

To this day, it often doesn't occur to people to look things up, especially these days with everyone trying to do stuff on a pokey little phone screen.
(This is why if I ask a question of my friends on FB 'does anyone know' - I normally remember to state 'I have googled' before everyone runs to google and does that exact thing).

Communist Thoughts posted:

It just doesn't bother actually looking for the specific thing you ask for anymore

Not just me then! For the last couple of years or so it just seems to bring up all kinds of irrelevant links no matter how many inverted commas I use or how far 'down the tail' I make the search query.

I did try Duck Duck Go for 6 months but it drove me pots - reminded me of old yahoo in the limitations of its results.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 17, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Bing is perfectly good, I'd go with that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

If I were the praying type, I'd be praying that Vera Lynn doesn't die of COVID-19.
I had to google because I was sure she died sometime in the 00s.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like we've settled on a flat plane of about 800 deaths a day, give or take some weekend disruption and a spike later in the week when the backlog gets filled in.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oh hey, it's John Ware again, the Panorama documentary dude!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wish I'd never left the CompuServe portal.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been using Duck Duck Go, which is on the whole better than Google but has some shortcomings.

As embarrassing as it is to admit, if I'm searching for an answer to a specific question and don't want to deal with trash sites like Quora or Yahoo answers, I usually add "Reddit" to the query. There's usually some ancient post on a dusty subforum that answers the query.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011
I use ecosia, it claims that 80% of revenue from ads goes to tree planting projects. I did a cursory check and it seems legit but I didn't look super deep so do some research if you're the suspicious type (and then let me know)