Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

VikingSkull posted:

my favorite part is the confirmed cases being lower than the number of deaths

:confused:

quote:

The total number of cases recorded in the city now stands at 50,333, with 3,869 deaths

tater_salad posted:

America's population is only dense in some areas, but in all other area's its very dense.
It's particularly striking when you keep in mind Hong Kong has 7 million people, and 1000 cases, while Norway has 5 million, and 6000 cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tater_salad posted:

America's population is only dense in some areas, but in all other area's its very dense.

There's six US states which currently have higher per capita COVID-19 death rates than Sweden.

The other states are percolating away .....

Edit: We're still only in the early stages of the pandemic, comparing per capita rates between countries at this point is pretty pointless, especially since the countries all started at different points and have had different amounts of time for conditions to develop.
The first recorded infection and the first recorded death in Sweden were about a week earlier than those in the US, to stick to the current example. One week ago Sweden's death rate per capita was 78/million, the US's current rate is 105/million.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 17, 2020

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

One way in which the current pandemic continues to frustrate is the amount of things we want to know but simply cannot. Decisions and plans that would be straightforward with more information become murky when our information is limited. In an era where we are used to having all the information we could possibly need, where the most common problem is sorting through the abundance of facts to make sure we discard any misinformation and keep only the truth, encountering a situation where there the truth cannot yet be known is a unique frustration.

Here's a great NYTimes piece on how there's no real way to know the current fatality rate, and we probably won't be able to figure it out for a while.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Mithaldu posted:

It's particularly striking when you keep in mind Hong Kong has 7 million people, and 1000 cases, while Norway has 5 million, and 6000 cases.

HK had months extra in ppe training fighting the other virus.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

NYC has started reporting probable deaths, lumping a bunch into 4/14, creating a classic Wuhan spike:

quote:

New York City today has reported 3,778 additional deaths that have occurred since March 11 and have been classified as "probable," defined as follows: “decedent [...] had no known positive laboratory test for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) but the death certificate lists as a cause of death “COVID-19” or an equivalent" [source]. We will add these to the New York State total as soon as it is determined whether the historical distribution can be obtained

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah that makes sense, they were able to revise their numbers based on the not-at-all mysterious uptick in at-home deaths. That's pretty much what's happening in New York right now, we know that there are people dying at home that co-residing family members are calling 9-1-1 over, and an additional who-knows-how-many dying at home by themselves. Seriously-hit areas will take awhile to figure out numbers that are more true to reality

And that's not to say that Wuhan's numbers are final, either; they could easily go higher. For instance do these new numbers only include people who tested positive at some point, or is it an estimate derived from the mean at-home death rate in months and years prior to the pandemic, or what? Accurate attribution without testing is pretty difficult

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
In the end, comparison to week-by-week fatalities in the years prior will provide a first assessment of how many deaths are actually attributable to covid. A comparison to the drop in deaths in futur years might also work, given how the pandemic is almost exclusively killing people who would have died anyway in the next few years.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HerStuddMuffin posted:

In the end, comparison to week-by-week fatalities in the years prior will provide a first assessment of how many deaths are actually attributable to covid. A comparison to the drop in deaths in futur years might also work, given how the pandemic is almost exclusively killing people who would have died anyway in the next few years.

That statement isn't accurate at all

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

While i've argued the same before when some people were claiming Wuhan had 40 000 covid deaths, it also needs to be kept in mind that "everyone stays home" also means the data gets muddled by certain types of other deaths being reduced.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Mithaldu posted:

quote:

on Friday added 1,290 coronavirus deaths to the city's toll. They also added 325 confirmed cases to the city tally.

it's more a reflection on CNN not being able to effectively write an article

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

it's more a reflection on CNN not being able to effectively write an article

OK, yeah, that's fucky.

There's a possibility that they're going to add them to the diagnosis number later on, but if they don't then that's a minor, but extremely clear case of loving the numbers.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Mithaldu posted:

OK, yeah, that's fucky.

There's a possibility that they're going to add them to the diagnosis number later on, but if they don't then that's a minor, but extremely clear case of loving the numbers.

It's not so much that this particular case is minor, more that there's multiple cases of minor fuckery that adds up to a cumulative case of major fuckery

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

OK, yeah, that's fucky.

It's not fucky if those patients had tested positive prior to dying at home; they'd already be counted in the diagnoses tally. Then someone would notice "Hey our dataset has a bunch of cases diagnosed 3 months ago that never got set to recovered. You think maybe they died?"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finland's PPE case has become even more stupid. We previously knew that the masks Finland ordered from China to replace our expired stockpile of PPE proved to not be up to the standards required of medical PPE in Europe, but the hope was that it could be used in non-medical fields, like elderly care etc.

Well, not so much. The people who used the masks reported they got "severe" skin conditions, allergic reactions and rashes from using the masks and other gear and now the whole two million euro shipment has been declared unusable.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
All the idiots in my area on facebook now are posting people with the various signs saying the stats on covid 19 deaths, flu, suicide, alcohol, abortions, etc. This just really kills me. The only one that is anywhere near related to this is the flu stats. The fuckers don't even realize that you don't catch suicide, abortions, cancer or alcoholism just by being in the public. What the gently caress is wrong with these stupid people and their reasoning on this?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The wint twit but it's China turning the "number of covid deaths" dial until they land on a credible number while looking back at the rest of the world

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TenTonHammer posted:

you don't catch ... alcoholism just by being in the public.

I dunno man every time I go out in public I end up wanting to get hammered

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TenTonHammer posted:

All the idiots in my area on facebook now are posting people with the various signs saying the stats on covid 19 deaths, flu, suicide, alcohol, abortions, etc. This just really kills me. The only one that is anywhere near related to this is the flu stats. The fuckers don't even realize that you don't catch suicide, abortions, cancer or alcoholism just by being in the public. What the gently caress is wrong with these stupid people and their reasoning on this?

Counterpoint: these people are making me want to die and I'm not even in close proximity to them, which I guess would be almost like catching suicide?

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

OK, yeah, that's fucky.

Confirmed case now can become a death in ten days. Death now would probably have been a confirmed case ten days ago.
In many hotspots one now sees lower number of new cases and still pretty high deaths.

And daily numbers are very volatile because of delays in reporting. Criteria change, number of tests change.

Deal with all that noise in the numbers.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh my god QUICK

PICK A NAME

TENTIN QUARANTINO

:lol:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

While i've argued the same before when some people were claiming Wuhan had 40 000 covid deaths, it also needs to be kept in mind that "everyone stays home" also means the data gets muddled by certain types of other deaths being reduced.

This. Last I looked, overall deaths were only at 88% of what we expect.

Pneumonia deaths, that totally aren't covid-19 no no no, were up over 200% from where you'd expect from what I could tell from the CDCs own stats.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lodin posted:

Good news, today is International Bat Appreciation Day. I say we for at least one day stop eating bats.

reported for tyrrany

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

wilderthanmild posted:

This. Last I looked, overall deaths were only at 88% of what we expect.

Pneumonia deaths, that totally aren't covid-19 no no no, were up over 200% from where you'd expect from what I could tell from the CDCs own stats.

I'm sure there is some useful analysis out there, but it's very difficult to gain useful insight by comparing year on year flu deaths. 200% increase is honestly nothing when it comes to flu. Some years have 2,000%+ more fatalities than the last. In the UK, last year was extremely mild with sub 2000 deaths. In 2014/15 it was almost 30,000.

I have no idea how bad the current flu strain is meant to be, all I can say is that lots of old people will be dying of both flu and coronavirus and a rise in pneumonia deaths is not necessarily indicative of fudging numbers on corona, though it's not at all out of the question.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

unpacked robinhood posted:

Tentin Quarantino is a good one

yeah it's loving gold

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Time_pants posted:

Okay, I give up. Which was which in this example?

Well for the first hint I was talking about the known rapist incumbent, for the second example was the known rapist nominee. See the difference yet?

Who better to lead us against a pandemic than another abuser?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Is that close enough for her to worry yet?

That is extremely close enough to worry if you don't have a plan for getting to the hospital yet.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

It's not fucky if those patients had tested positive prior to dying at home; they'd already be counted in the diagnoses tally. Then someone would notice "Hey our dataset has a bunch of cases diagnosed 3 months ago that never got set to recovered. You think maybe they died?"

Oh yeah, depends on what the interpretation of "died at home" is, AND 359 is a significant jump to the data from the past days too. Makes sense. :)
At least they're not doing what germany does.

yesterday:

today:

All of the yellow bits? That's the new cases the RKI added to its data on that day, but redistributed according to date of diagnosis. And on the next day they turn blue. This way the graph is *always* going down, and it's actually noticable from german politics that a lot of people are falling to that misinterpretation of the graph.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Jeza posted:

I'm sure there is some useful analysis out there, but it's very difficult to gain useful insight by comparing year on year flu deaths. 200% increase is honestly nothing when it comes to flu. Some years have 2,000%+ more fatalities than the last. In the UK, last year was extremely mild with sub 2000 deaths. In 2014/15 it was almost 30,000.

I have no idea how bad the current flu strain is meant to be, all I can say is that lots of old people will be dying of both flu and coronavirus and a rise in pneumonia deaths is not necessarily indicative of fudging numbers on corona, though it's not at all out of the question.

This was pneumonia deaths, of which the same CDC stats said only around ~5k of the now 45k pneumonia deaths were flu. Additionally the stats included only ~5k coronavirus deaths. So we have almost a year's worth of pneumonia deaths, even if you exclude the flu ones and covid deaths. In a normal year you'd expect to be around 15k to 20k, and that's assuming an even larger share than normal for January Thru March.

I'm not necessarily saying there is a cover up mind you, but there really might be something like 5 to 10k deaths mislabeled as pneumonia for all kinds of reasons.

It's also worth noting that these stats are up to 14 days old and that number of pneumonia deaths seems to be rising about 1000 per day for the last few days. So the current number could be significantly higher.

I'm not sure if we could use these numbers that well now, but in the future, pneumonia deaths might be a good category of you were trying to get an estimate of undercount.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Oh yeah, depends on what the interpretation of "died at home" is, AND 359 is a significant jump to the data from the past days too. Makes sense. :)

yesterday:

today:

All of the yellow bits? That's the new cases the RKI added to its data on that day, but redistributed according to date of diagnosis. And on the next day they turn blue. This way the graph is *always* going down, and it's actually noticable from german politics that a lot of people are falling to that misinterpretation of the graph.

Ohio does this too with their graphs they release daily.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

yesterday:

today:

Numbers are difficult and most people are tech illiterate. These German numbers make sense for those who understand them. They are just a step beyond the capacity of a Trump voter.

The Dutch numbers are presented similarly: the numbers for the most recent days are adjusted for delayed reporting, and all presentations in responsible media add the note that those recent numbers are incomplete. Also the total death counts regardless of cause are also added now, so everybody can see what is really going on.

(In my blessed isolated Northern province the total death numbers of 2020 are actually lower than those of last year)

Lotti Fuehrscheim fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 17, 2020

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Time_pants posted:

That is extremely close enough to worry if you don't have a plan for getting to the hospital yet.

Hospital is forty minutes away.
They said come in when they're five minutes apart.
They're like.. 7-8 ATM..

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Wutang-Yutani posted:

Hospital is forty minutes away.
They said come in when they're five minutes apart.
They're like.. 7-8 ATM..

Buddy if your partner's water broke then you're going to have a baby within 24 hours of it. Time to head to the hospital.

e: this is based on my experience of two (2) kids and many, many friends that had their kids pop out within the 24 window of water breaking.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
that baby is gonna get born in a car lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"Daddy how did I get my name?"
"Well you see, Caryntine ....."

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I like how the census is still chugging along like everything is cool and normal.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Bananaquiter posted:

I like how the census is still chugging along like everything is cool and normal.

they are keeping enumerators from going door to door and asking for an extension but it is constitutionally mandated to be completed this year, what exactly do you recommend they do? Self response isnt affected by this mail is being delivered and people are responding online.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Bananaquiter posted:

quote:

The 2020 Census is underway and more households across America are responding every day. Online, phone and mailed self-responses will continue throughout the data collection process. In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Census Bureau is adjusting 2020 Census operations in order to:

Protect the health and safety of the American public and Census Bureau employees.
Implement guidance from Federal, State, and local authorities regarding COVID-19.
Ensure a complete and accurate count of all communities.

Under the adjusted 2020 Census operational plan, field activities would resume after June 1, 2020, as Area Census Offices begin returning to full staff capacity. In-person activities, including enumeration, office work, and processing activities, will incorporate the most current guidance from authorities to ensure the health and safety of staff and the public.

https://2020census.gov/en/news-events/operational-adjustments-covid-19.html

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

New Zealand update: I just read the comments section for a news article on the internet and... it made me feel good??? I think I feel some shred of faith in humanity?????

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121083254/wellington-eatery-blindsided-by-unclear-advice-on-their-operation-under-lockdown

tldr: Bakery complains about lockdown, they thought they were essential yadda yadda (tbh I didn't actually read the article itself)... everyone in the comments is in support of the lockdown, even those with affected businesses. Makes me really glad to live somewhere that's taking effective measures and the vast majority of the population are on board with it. A few dickheads flouting the rules as anywhere but overall people realise it's important and are doing their bit. We only had 8 new cases today (down from 80ish at peak) despite having initiated random tests outside supermarkets over the last couple of days, the first batch of which have all come up negative. 816 of our 1086 total cases have recovered. We are looking at a slight easing of the restrictions next week if case numbers stay low, allowing "safe" businesses in certain industries to operate if they can maintain distancing and health & safety standards regarding the virus. Personally I'm a little nervous about that and would like to stay in full lockdown another week at least but hopefully the plan works and it doesn't flare back up. We might even be able to eradicate it here completely with a little luck - borders are still closed to foreign nationals and even returning citizens and residents are now subject to mandatory enforced 2 week quarantine.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
We're like 3 days away from Republicans claiming we need to do literal loving human sacrifices atop a stone pyramid to placate Economy, lest it turn its back on us forever! What are a few hundred thousand dead when compared to Economy!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Der Shovel posted:

Finland's PPE case has become even more stupid. We previously knew that the masks Finland ordered from China to replace our expired stockpile of PPE proved to not be up to the standards required of medical PPE in Europe, but the hope was that it could be used in non-medical fields, like elderly care etc.

Well, not so much. The people who used the masks reported they got "severe" skin conditions, allergic reactions and rashes from using the masks and other gear and now the whole two million euro shipment has been declared unusable.

Finland's PPE case is far more bizarre and interesting than you are implying

Agency boss admits paying out millions of euros without getting hospital-grade PPE
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/agency_boss_admits_paying_out_millions_of_euros_without_getting_hospital-grade_ppe/11302278

Hells Angels and a reality TV star: How Finland’s mask shortage got weird
https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-finland-hells-angels-and-a-reality-tv-star-how-mask-shortage-got-weird/

Trash-masks scandal: the 5 million paid by Finland ended up in a bank account in Belgium
https://www.foreigner.fi/articulo/c...2807005239.html