Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Antonymous posted:

I got a buddy who moved back to China and told me on wechat he's friends with a guy who became a doctor in Wuhan.... yeah telephone game but

Anyway he says the doctor friend says the numbers of infected in Wuhan were more like 400,000 before they opened up again

welp that's my news goodbye

None of the numbers from any of these countries, other than the ones that really clamped down hard right at the beginning and went whole hog on testing like Taiwan or SK, are all that useful for all the reasons that the numbers coming out of the US are pretty much useless. Even leaving aside differences in testing methodology there just isn't the capacity to test a meaningful number of people.

What is pretty easily to know is how hard the Chinese government clamped down on movement in and out of Wuhan and how heavy the restrictions were for the entire country, while at the same time surging a huge amount of doctors, nurses and equipment to Wuhan at the same time, which they could still do early the game after lockdowns had contained outbreaks in the rest of the country. The level of lockdown that Wuhan has right now, i.e. after everything has already been opened up, is still far more restrictive than places like NYC that are literal corpse mountains. Lockdowns work, they worked in other countries that did them, even countries full of white people like NZ, and they worked in China. NYC is a corpse mountain because the US is doing literally nothing other than letting a small number of white people work from home. You don't have to believe any numbers from anyone to see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Sounds like the game hasn't been approved for release in China yet and people went around that by buying copies from abroad. The activists shined a big spotlight on it so the loophole's closed now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you have total death count of a city/province in a given month, minus the average death of that month in the past few years, then you can work out the approximated death toll of the virus. Then you use the death toll and the death rate to guess the infected number. Unfortunately no country is doing that. Also the death rate is different in different regions. Even the topic of whether the virus is mutating is a big argument.

Also Taiwan is not testing nearly as much as SK. They can still blow up although unlikely. Also China and SK both use tracking apps, and TW doesn't.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:40 on Apr 16, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I wouldn’t mind living under a regime that censored western propaganda from mainstream sources, forcing reactionaries and capitalists to the fringes of polite society

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Centrist Committee posted:

forcing reactionaries

Oh boy have I got news for you

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also Taiwan is not testing nearly as much as SK. They can still blow up although unlikely. Also China and SK both use tracking apps, and TW doesn't.

I thought Taiwan did have a virus location app?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wouldn’t mind living under a regime that censored western propaganda from mainstream sources, forcing reactionaries and capitalists to the fringes of polite society

I lolled reading articles how Chinese people who tried to spread free market chicago school beliefs got persecuted by the government.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

I lolled reading articles how Chinese people who tried to spread free market chicago school beliefs got persecuted by the government.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-05-11/china-s-latest-crackdown-target-is-liberal-economists

i smile every time

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1250916870955433984

:cripes:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Somebody need to draw a diagram to explain that DEM argument to me because I can't loving follow it.

And there is no way Senile Joe can explain it.

Atopian posted:

I thought Taiwan did have a virus location app?

I think TW only make self quarantining people install an app, but its easily defeated because you can just leave home without the phone.

The way China impliment the health app is they record your QR code in restaurant/work/store entrance to big data track you. Also the QR code can upgrade and downgrade you to a different color base on your past "encounter" with confirmed cases.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Apr 17, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
What do they use to define an "encounter"?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Kassad posted:

What do they use to define an "encounter"?

It involves Craigslist.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think TW only make self quarantining people install an app, but its easily defeated because you can just leave home without the phone.

They were checking up on quarantined people twice a day.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Atopian posted:

It involves Craigslist.

Heh. But seriously though.

In other news: https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1250983703230070785

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I expect this to continue to rise, as they do more testing and autopsies, more people go to the hospital, etc. I think casting it as nefarious conspiracy, rather than the realities of record keeping during a natural disaster, are very tedious - although I also hope there's an inquiry by the national government into the actions of the regional government when the outbreak first started to troubleshoot how things could've gone better.

The US should also do this but lol at that happening.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

jesus christ

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Makes sense if you are a terrible person:

1. China is the one viable rival to US hegemony in the Pacific region.
2. Asian Americans don't constitute enough of the Democratic base to care about.
3. White racists are a really big constituency.
4. Plus you get to dunk on Trump for issues his base care about, hopefully suppressing the die-hard xenophobic vote.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Already mentioned but they'll call you randomly, frequently, already nearby so if you're outside you're hosed, and they give you fines in the range of 20k+ USD for violations.

It's overall quite effective (clearly from the results) without going to the level of tracking every single person, which is pretty good imo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

this isn't really different from how in the west death are underestimated because seniors in nursing homes died and haven't being counted yet, there's gonna be a spike in the official death toll in the west after a revision too

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

LimburgLimbo posted:

Already mentioned but they'll call you randomly, frequently, already nearby so if you're outside you're hosed, and they give you fines in the range of 20k+ USD for violations.

It's overall quite effective (clearly from the results) without going to the level of tracking every single person, which is pretty good imo

Taiwan didn't gently caress up its initial virus response like China did, so they can just enforce quarantine and do contact tracing without having the severe lockdowns that China implemented since they don't have a huge reservoir of undetected cases. Unfortunately the Taiwan model is going to be ineffective here in the US for the time being.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

this isn't really different from how in the west death are underestimated because seniors in nursing homes died and haven't being counted yet, there's gonna be a spike in the official death toll in the west after a revision too

somehow I doubt that the West is going to be as forthcoming

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

tractor fanatic posted:

Taiwan didn't gently caress up its initial virus response like China did, so they can just enforce quarantine and do contact tracing without having the severe lockdowns that China implemented since they don't have a huge reservoir of undetected cases. Unfortunately the Taiwan model is going to be ineffective here in the US for the time being.

“is going to be ineffective” is doing a whole lot of lifting here lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The US especially with Trump's incompetence doesn't have the capability or smarts to setup a Taiwan (#1) like system.

It's so integrated that the doctor in Taiwan can access the patient's travel history during the interview process.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

lol i mean even if we had their competence i think it's too late to attempt it

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

etalian posted:

The US especially with Trump's incompetence doesn't have the capability or smarts to setup a Taiwan (#1) like system.

It's so integrated that the doctor in Taiwan can access the patient's travel history during the interview process.

For Taiwanese citizens I believe they even access your travel history *at the entrance to the hospital*. I live in Taiwan but don't have my national health insurance card yet and at the checkpoints they set up to to vet all people that enter hospitals they ask for you insurance card, but they had to do some extra work and interview me since I don't have one (broke my nose playing rugby so had to go to a few hospitals).

The difference between a country with competent government and well considered preparations and a loving dumpster fire like the US is night and day.

The real sad thing is that there's tons of competent people in the US, but US voters would rather literally die choking on their own fluid than vote in someone who would put competent people in place. So you guys have fun with that.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

So this floated up on a discord I post in
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3916690

this is the key bit:

Source is: https://3c.ltn.com.tw/news/40113 and https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3916690
the latter references the former but also includes an extra bit at the end

so :shrug:

A little late, but I vaugly remember south Korea requires - - or at least used to, I don't know - - something like unique citizen id's to sign up for online games. I don't understand it or the reasoning behind it, but from what little I know this isn't some uniquely China thing like how it's being presented.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

For Taiwanese citizens I believe they even access your travel history *at the entrance to the hospital*. I live in Taiwan but don't have my national health insurance card yet and at the checkpoints they set up to to vet all people that enter hospitals they ask for you insurance card, but they had to do some extra work and interview me since I don't have one (broke my nose playing rugby so had to go to a few hospitals).

The difference between a country with competent government and well considered preparations and a loving dumpster fire like the US is night and day.

The real sad thing is that there's tons of competent people in the US, but US voters would rather literally die choking on their own fluid than vote in someone who would put competent people in place. So you guys have fun with that.

It is because Taiwan is a front-line state, while the corpse of the empire rots.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

the thing is that there will be nobody on the ballot in november who wants to maintain a functional society. american voters have about as much blame for the state of their country as russian voters

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Lightning Knight posted:

I expect this to continue to rise, as they do more testing and autopsies, more people go to the hospital, etc. I think casting it as nefarious conspiracy, rather than the realities of record keeping during a natural disaster, are very tedious - although I also hope there's an inquiry by the national government into the actions of the regional government when the outbreak first started to troubleshoot how things could've gone better.

The US should also do this but lol at that happening.

they took the previous number and multiplied it by exactly 1.5

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China is artificially inflating their numbers because the West expects some dead.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

the thing is that there will be nobody on the ballot in november who wants to maintain a functional society. american voters have about as much blame for the state of their country as russian voters

Yap at some point you start to question whatever political system US has can't be the least bad one.

BTW Covid19 is not even the worst scenario outside of a nuclear war. It's more like a preview of a minor climate change event.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This whole question of whether China lied about their numbers or not is really quite irrelevant except for the people who want to use it for their imperalist regime-change agenda.

Whether they did or didn't, the numbers that did come out were already bad enough to get people outside of China to be extremely concerned about a new pandemic, but world governments besides the ones that we acknowledge had a good response, still refused to do anything anyway.

Whether the thing started in November and China tried to bury the thing until late December, or not, world governments besides the ones that we acknowledge had a timely response, still wasted a good 45-60 days doing nothing, so it's not like giving them another 30-60 days on top of that would have mattered.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Somaen posted:

they took the previous number and multiplied it by exactly 1.5

That probably happened to every epiccenter.

https://twitter.com/CentipedeMouse/status/1249705590512930816?s=19

Look at NYC in March had 3200 coronavirus deaths and 2000 extra higher than expected "other deaths". That's more than 50%.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

Man, I loving called it, all the way back in 2019

I hope I didn't jinx the world

you...you paid attention to the news and posted about it on December 31st, last year? incredible!

I mean you seem like the kinda guy who seems to need validation in his life, let me know if that's what you were looking for and I'll edit this and write a more positive post about your incredible insight

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Nah, there's a whole lot more people on the ballot than the President and people pay too much attention to that. People need to start giving a gently caress about *all* the elections they can vote in.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

The Great Autismo! posted:

you...you paid attention to the news and posted about it on December 31st, last year? incredible!

I mean you seem like the kinda guy who seems to need validation in his life, let me know if that's what you were looking for and I'll edit this and write a more positive post about your incredible insight

every poster wants to be the next "WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i validate sincx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sincx posted:

Man, I loving called it, all the way back in 2019

I hope I didn't jinx the world

No one could have known before January 20th please don't spread lies and rumors or we will have to discuss this over a cup of tea.