Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
He is going to get so many people killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So.. I've read a few of the articles being floated around by righties about "Covid 19 is an escaped bioweapon from a lab!", places like the NY Post etc.

From what I can see they basically amount to innuendo. There's a research lab for high level pathogens in Wuhan, like Ft. Detrick in Maryland. WHAT A COINCIDENCE, AMIRITE?

No real evidence of any kind, from what I can tell. Can anyone tell me differently?

Example:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

You can use past tense there

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

"...going to?" As in future tense?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zwabu posted:

So.. I've read a few of the articles being floated around by righties about "Covid 19 is an escaped bioweapon from a lab!", places like the NY Post etc.

From what I can see they basically amount to innuendo. There's a research lab for high level pathogens in Wuhan, like Ft. Detrick in Maryland. WHAT A COINCIDENCE, AMIRITE?

No real evidence of any kind, from what I can tell. Can anyone tell me differently?

Example:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

It’s all bullshit OP.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zwabu posted:

Example:

Yeah, that's basically it. There have been a number of more scientific looks at it that show it would have been the dumbest thing on Earth to make a bioweapon like this or even as a research aid. Trying to use Pangolins, an endangered species, as your research animal would be loving insane in terms of costs and feasibility. It also ignores that these kinds of Coronaviruses have been popping up every ~10 years without our help (SARS, MERS).

But if we can blame a bioweapons lab, then we have an easy answer and the world makes sense. An ordered evil world is easier to accept for some people than an uncaring random world

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Everyone knows that the virus is caused by all the 5G antennas.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

You can use past tense there

If only English had present perfect tense.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Example:

There's absolutely nothing except conjecture hung on loose, unassociated facts. In other words, a conspiracy theory. A good sanity check is who is saying this: nobody with actual expertise is saying that it's a bioweapon.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is this?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Iol remember in 2016 when I said Trump would call his supporters to violence and people said I was crazy and doomsaying

Also good news: even though I was denied regular UI I was able to apply for PUA so hopefully that comes through. I have 2 pages of proofs I uploaded previously (seriously like 15 proofs, including a handy graph showing my income tanking in March) so hopefully I can get it!

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

SocketWrench posted:

Whelp, time to go on the weekly grocery run

You might want to shave that beard, champ. You’re not going to get a good seal with all the scruff poking out. The sarin gas will get it.

Hairy Marionette fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 17, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Koalas March posted:

Iol remember in 2016 when I said Trump would call his supporters to violence and people said I was crazy and doomsaying

Also good news: even though I was denied regular UI I was able to apply for PUA so hopefully that comes through. I have 2 pages of proofs I uploaded previously (seriously like 15 proofs, including a handy graph showing my income tanking in March) so hopefully I can get it!
We don't need more pickup artists in this country KM

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

This is double funny because it appears that Minnesota is flattening the curve better than any other state.

Of course testing is still poo poo here but we are very good at staying in our houses and away from people. The rich suburbs did have to put extra measures in place because they didn't think things effected them tho.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Example:

It's bullshit by racists that want someone to blame instead of admitting that America's handling of the pandemic was really bad.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Example:

It's a poo poo bioweapon if it is one.
2% death rate (of mostly those with preconditions), and is spreadable.
Not exactly your ideal weapon when to neutralize an army.
And if you want to go in afterwards to take over.
There are better ones already like anthrax or ricin to gently caress people up.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
What the gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1251174384351526917

Media run State.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Example:

I heard North Carolina. Which I know is dumb and is crazy but I think about how I got sick in late December and was sick for six(ish) weeks. And hope I already had it.

I had some sort of respiratory virus/infection that two rounds of antibiotics and all the cough medicine in the world didn't do poo poo for. I lost my voice and there were a couple times I thought about going to the hospital because the urgent care was useless and my lungs were drowning. I had lingering cough and chest pain well into February. My roommate and their kids got sick around the time I left (so about a week and a half after I first had symptoms) and he was hospitalized for a couple days.

I am pretty sure I talked about it on the forums but it was when a crazy amount of poo poo was going down in tgrs and it was a rough time in general. I know it was probably just another nasty virus but if that one knocked me out like that I never wanna get the covid.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
GAMERS RISE UP

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251181566740619265

Seriously, aren't the GOP worried at least a little about November?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

Crazy how quick this has become "normal"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Willo567 posted:

It's too late to worry about that, they're gonna keep riding this horse and hope they can voter suppress their way to victory

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tag yourself I'm OOIL.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Willo567 posted:

The GOP? Oh god yes. There’s a reason why there are reports that McConnel is telling old Reagan judges to all retire right now.

Trump? No he’s dumb as gently caress.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Steamship lines that transport containerized cargo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Re astroturfing protests:

Even Robert Costa is calling out the michigan protest for being chlorophyll-lite

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1250794945805455361?s=20

I would not be surprised in the slightest if every one of these "protests" links right back to Trump and his ghouls money wise

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s all bullshit OP.

the closest thing to non-bullshit is that there is a pathogen research lab in Wuhan that was part of a study back in 2015 on how SARS 2 was very much a possibility. as a demonstration of how much a possibility this was, the study synthesized something like it derived from bats as a proof-of-concept. unfortunately, the people who did that part of the study were not the Wuhan lab, but rather a lab in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, proving that UNC ruins March Madness every year.

this particular angle is in use on the other side of the pacific as THEIR conspiratorial weirdos' explanation for why the foreign enemy must be to blame for our leaders' failures.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That is the financial health of the containership lines in Dec 2019. All of the major lines show scores that indicate possible bankruptcy with two years. Most of the lines show scores that indicate bankruptcy in a much shorter time frame. Things have gotten worse and the expected peak of “worse” for the container trade will be between one and three months from now. There will almost certainly be a (or several) major line failures.

Low container freight rates make global supply chains possible. That’s the potential for system collapse.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That is the financial health of the containership lines in Dec 2019. All of the major lines show scores that indicate possible bankruptcy with two years. Most of the lines show scores that indicate bankruptcy in a much shorter time frame. Things have gotten worse and the expected peak of “worse” for the container trade will be between one and three months from now. There will almost certainly be a (or several) major line failures.

Low container freight rates make global supply chains possible. That’s the potential for system collapse.

So who exactly would they appeal to for a bailout?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the closest thing to non-bullshit is that there is a pathogen research lab in Wuhan that was part of a study back in 2015 on how SARS 2 was very much a possibility. as a demonstration of how much a possibility this was, the study synthesized something like it derived from bats as a proof-of-concept. unfortunately, the people who did that part of the study were not the Wuhan lab, but rather a lab in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, proving that UNC ruins March Madness every year.

this particular angle is in use on the other side of the pacific as THEIR conspiratorial weirdos' explanation for why the foreign enemy must be to blame for our leaders' failures.

Welp. Trump always projects so it being a lovely American viral proof of concept that they hosed up is now extremely plausible

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

love 2 watch tv when I'm supposed to be managing an international crisis

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SocketWrench posted:

Might want to shave that beard.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

love 2 watch tv when I'm supposed to be managing an international crisis

Would you rather he be trying to manage things?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So who exactly would they appeal to for a bailout?

Some of them are affiliated with various governments all over the world. None of them with the US government, even though it’s our system.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Tag yourself I'm OOIL.

“Orient Overseas” you picked the one with the racist name.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Willo567 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_3H0K-zwc8

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just to be clear, the "intelligence sources" are supposedly not saying it is a bioweapon, but a natural virus that was being studied in a lab and escaped. There are a lot of chuds claiming it is a bioweapon, but this latest round of "reporting" isn't saying that. Most likely because genetic sequencing has already shown it to not be engineered, but there really isn't any way to prove it did or did not escape from a lab where it was just being studied and not engineered. This allows for enough uncertainty for it to spread beyond the tin foil people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251185023459483653

Oh my God, he's still on H1N1 and OHBUMA