Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also want heated seats and a heated steering wheel. I'm jealous of our Canadian neighbors, those are becoming standard up there. I drove a CAD20K Elantra with heated seats and wheel.

Heated steering wheels haven't really become common here in Sweden until very recently, but heated seats have been standard in even the most poverty spec Peugeots since at least the 90s and it seems weird Canada would be so much behind on that with the climates being fairly similar? I think standard equipment is up to the importing general agent, so maybe they've tried to keep prices down by skimping on that, I dunno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So more people buy manuals in Canada or something? I don't get the reasoning behind no manual base option in the US.

VAG was pretty clear that even on their best selling manual models, the Golf GTI and R, manuals were still ~1% of sales.

People on the internet talk a big game about how much they LOOOOVE manuals and it's so great and blah, blah, balh. They don't buy them though.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 17, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Charles posted:

In actual new car news, Mazda's next-gen 6 is rumored to be RWD / inline 6
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32109038/mazda-6-rwd-confirmed-2022/

The 626 returns!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

So more people buy manuals in Canada or something? I don't get the reasoning behind no manual base option in the US.

We do, proportionally. The Quebecois in particular. I also noticed vs the Americans historically we were more likely to buy a well optioned small car as opposed to moving up a class.

Frond fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 17, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also C-segment cars sell very well here. Mazda also does very well here, outperforming Nissan generally.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Charles posted:

Are there any 929s still extant? Has anybody done this to them?

Yes they are around. No, not likely. My family was one of 7 people to buy a Mazda 929 Serenia.

Frond fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 17, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes and yes. And also 13B's. And 20B's. I fact I dont know of a RWD 929 with the stock motor in it here, it's always been a swap target

A fun fact is that the mid-late 80s 929 [Luce] is the only car in history to come from the factory with a gas engine, a rotary, and a diesel option.

IIRC the rotary swap is relatively straightforward because it shares a lot of it's underpinnings with the Cosmo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Murgos posted:

VAG was pretty clear that even on their best selling manual models, the Golf GTI and R, manuals were still ~1% of sales.

Maybe against their whole lineup of vehicles, but not within those models.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/24/vw-gti-golf-r-sportwagen-manual-transmissions/

In 2018, the Golf R and GTI had a 44% rate within the GTI and R sales.

When looking at Subaru, 90% of WRXs are manuals and 78% of BRZs are manuals.

So, it's clear that offering a manual with the right kind of vehicle will be successful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Murgos posted:

People on the internet talk a big game about how much they LOOOOVE manuals and it's so great and blah, blah, balh. They don't buy them though.

that number is incorrect. take rate on GTI and R combined is 44%.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Heated steering wheels haven't really become common here in Sweden until very recently, but heated seats have been standard in even the most poverty spec Peugeots since at least the 90s and it seems weird Canada would be so much behind on that with the climates being fairly similar? I think standard equipment is up to the importing general agent, so maybe they've tried to keep prices down by skimping on that, I dunno?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I'm in the northern US. Canada tends to have much more heated stuff even on cheap cars. US tends to be at least one or two trim levels up.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

You'll be able to get a manual, only in the highest trim with a panoramic sunroof and a bunch of other poo poo you probably don't want.

Nobody in the entire universe is buying a manual no frills sport sedan. It isn't 1993 (very few people did this in 1993 either FYI).

I really wonder if anyone actually bought no frills versions of sporty cars. Years ago when I was shopping for my first S13 240SX every single one I looked at had all power options, air conditioning, and the majority of them had ABS. The '92 S13 coupe I have now is the same, and the MR2 I have is likewise fully loaded.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I'm in the northern US. Canada tends to have much more heated stuff even on cheap cars. US tends to be at least one or two trim levels up.

It really doesn't make sense to me because the North US climate is very similar to ours.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, no, I drove a Mustang through Canadian winters for a bunch of years, I'm done with that poo poo.

I'd be fully down for a mode that allows you to lock in RWD mode for fun, but it turns out I really enjoy being certain I'll be able to get my car moving again when I stop at a red light.

My Toyota 86 is fine, but I suppose it's due to the Blizzaks and lack of power.

Frond fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 17, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Frond posted:

It really doesn't make sense to me because the North US climate is very similar to ours.

The big reason why I didn't look at a Veloster N more seriously was the lack of heated seats. In Canada they get both heated seats AND a heated steering wheel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Frond posted:

Nobody in the entire universe is buying a manual no frills sport sedan. It isn't 1993 (very few people did this in 1993 either FYI).

Honda doesn't seem to have a problem selling them :confused:

I almost got a Civic Sport MT but I wanted a hatch, and would have probably bought a base Mazda3 MT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Frond posted:

yeah but product planners are making the decisions to cover the whole USDM so frequently stuff like that gets axed because it helps cut costs. or they get you in to a higher margin trim level! win win!!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Then add aircon, actual advanced safety features, power steering and maybe even all four disc brakes......

poo poo I feel old. Poverty spec used to mean no AM radio and vinyl seats, forget about the rest of the above.

Air conditioning is a $1300 option on Wranglers.

And >4 pixels on the screen appears to be a luxury option for Nissan.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that number is incorrect. take rate on GTI and R combined is 44%.

In the US. Other sources indicate that maybe it's 5% of total production worldwide so I was mistaken but not by that much.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Frond posted:

My Toyota 86 is fine, but I suppose it's due to the Blizzaks and lack of power.

Similar experience here. Made it through a couple Nebraska winters with a BRZ and a set of Michelin snow tires.

Biggest problem is almost everyone seems to ignore such a small car in traffic, similar to being on a motorcycle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

antimatt posted:

Biggest problem is almost everyone seems to ignore such a small car in traffic, similar to being on a motorcycle.

Pretty much what it's like to drive a Miata anywhere. I always compared it to riding a motorcycle in that regard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Murgos posted:

In the US. Other sources indicate that maybe it's 5% of total production worldwide so I was mistaken but not by that much.

in order for that to be accurate, at minimum Volkswagen would have to sell 177,000 GTIs and Rs globally and none of the ones sold in other markets would have manual transmissions. total golf nameplate sales are like 600,000 so i think that's unlikely.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Frond posted:

We do, proportionally. The Quebecois in particular. I also noticed vs the Americans historically we were more likely to buy a well optioned small car as opposed to moving up a class.

it's weird, we have this split where half the market buys compact cars Euro style and half the market buys the biggest brodozer truck they can afford America style

I personally love small cars and kinda want to go back to one, but every time I ride in a Mini or whatever and look out the window at a stoplight I'm eye level with the tires on an F-250

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in order for that to be accurate, at minimum Volkswagen would have to sell 177,000 GTIs and Rs globally and none of the ones sold in other markets would have manual transmissions. total golf nameplate sales are like 600,000 so i think that's unlikely.

Agreed. There is no way 5% let alone 1% is anywhere near accurate.
Every time I go get service at the Dealership which is joint Mazda/VW there are a shitload of manual transmission GTI and Golf Rs available.
poo poo right now, I can browse their inventory and manuals make up 41% of the inventory.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
There's absolutely no problem driving an RWD car in the winter. I learned to drive in a 300c during the winter with plenty of big snow dumps and never had a problem.
If a 17 year old kid can handle a 5.7L Hemi through the rear wheels in a foot of snow, or after freezing rain, anyone can.
Frankly, it's almost impossible to fishtail a car accidentally with modern driving aids, and you can't beat the fun of RWD on snow when you turn them off :rms:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Actually, yeah? Pretty much.

There was closer to 740,000 golfs sold world wide in 2018 (https://www.best-selling-cars.com/global/2018-full-year-international-global-top-selling-car-models/) . You have to realize that there are a LOT of golf models in Europe and China that aren't the R or the GTI. Although VW sold 140,000 golfs in China in 2018 (https://carsalesbase.com/china-volkswagen-golf-gti/) only maybe a thousand GTI's being sold a year there (https://carsalesbase.com/china-volkswagen-golf-gti/.)

VW sells as many golfs in Europe in a month as they do in the US in a year. (https://carsalesbase.com/europe-volkswagen-golf/, https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/volkswagen-golf-sales-figures/) and at least in the UK that's less than 11% of sales combined between the GTI and R which is only around 7000 vehicles a year (https://uk.motor1.com/news/141108/volkswagen-golf-r-outsells-gti-uk/).

Not sure why this is such an amazingly difficult concept, most people don't drive sticks and US sales are a small fraction of global sales so, 44% of a small piece of the pie is bup-kiss worldwide.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Murgos posted:

There was closer to 740,000 golfs sold world wide in 2018 (https://www.best-selling-cars.com/global/2018-full-year-international-global-top-selling-car-models/) . You have to realize that there are a LOT of golf models in Europe and China that aren't the R or the GTI. Although VW sold 140,000 golfs in China in 2018 (https://carsalesbase.com/china-volkswagen-golf-gti/) only maybe a thousand GTI's being sold a year there (https://carsalesbase.com/china-volkswagen-golf-gti/.)

VW sells as many golfs in Europe in a month as they do in the US in a year. (https://carsalesbase.com/europe-volkswagen-golf/, https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/volkswagen-golf-sales-figures/) and at least in the UK that's less than 11% of sales combined between the GTI and R which is only around 7000 vehicles a year (https://uk.motor1.com/news/141108/volkswagen-golf-r-outsells-gti-uk/).

Not sure why this is such an amazingly difficult concept, most people don't drive sticks and US sales are a small fraction of global sales so, 44% of a small piece of the pie is bup-kiss worldwide.

As am american boy I very much disliked the DSG in the GTI I was loaned circa 2013~

bup-kiss or no autos can bite me :cool:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Math You posted:

There's absolutely no problem driving an RWD car in the winter. I learned to drive in a 300c during the winter with plenty of big snow dumps and never had a problem.
If a 17 year old kid can handle a 5.7L Hemi through the rear wheels in a foot of snow, or after freezing rain, anyone can.
Frankly, it's almost impossible to fishtail a car accidentally with modern driving aids, and you can't beat the fun of RWD on snow when you turn them off :rms:

There's no problem with it, it's just more work for very little benefit on public roads, where you shouldn't "having fun" with RWD anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have one of each. Problem solved

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm sure we all know this as well, but AWD doesn't help you stop any faster. Winter tires should always be the first consideration if you want to comfortably drive in icy and snowy conditions.

Or don't live where it snows lol it's SO EASY

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KakerMix posted:

I'm sure we all know this as well, but AWD doesn't help you stop any faster. Winter tires should always be the first consideration if you want to comfortably drive in icy and snowy conditions.

Or don't live where it snows lol it's SO EASY

Absolutely. Anyone who doesn’t run winters is an idiot. But I can tell you, winters on AWD are still better than winters on a Mustang.

It’s also worth remembering that better traction during acceleration can mask low-traction situations so you might feel more comfortable about your braking ability than you ought to do. It’s still winter driving, and AWD will not save you from any winter driving accidents, but it’s drat convenient. Once you’re moving it’s not terribly helpful but that’s where 90% of the winter driving problems in the Mustang came from (the other 10% being related to ground clearance) so on the whole I think it’s a good feature to have.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

PT6A posted:

There's no problem with it, it's just more work for very little benefit on public roads, where you shouldn't "having fun" with RWD anyway.

Oh please, going slightly sideways around a corner at 15 mph with no traffic is not a problem. Nobody is talking about being unsafe. Sorry you can’t find a way to have fun while driving on public roads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford is offering a $825 factory tune for the ranger that puts it in the range of 320hp and 355ft/lbs

that made me curious and there are new 2020s listed at $19k.

Shame the truck around that powertrain is such poo poo.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I wonder how the pandemic is going to affect the new car market. I mean, negatively, of course, but which classes of new cars will be hit worst? Which’ll be more constrained in the next year or two, supply or demand?

I have fantasies of deals on ND2s and fears of there never being an ND3 or NE. :ohdear:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steely Dad posted:

I wonder how the pandemic is going to affect the new car market. I mean, negatively, of course, but which classes of new cars will be hit worst? Which’ll be more constrained in the next year or two, supply or demand?

I have fantasies of deals on ND2s and fears of there never being an ND3 or NE. :ohdear:

Everything smaller than minivans will go away and minivans themselves will become the new subcompact car to allow for adequate social distancing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Murgos posted:

Sorry but America is the only thing that matters.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Powershift posted:

Ford is offering a $825 factory tune for the ranger that puts it in the range of 320hp and 355ft/lbs

that made me curious and there are new 2020s listed at $19k.

Shame the truck around that powertrain is such poo poo.

Ford keeps on bringing over cars developed for third world countries and then acts surprised when they're poo poo

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Steely Dad posted:

I bet more people will buy cars to avoid public transit since it's filthy and spreads disease

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

JK Fresco posted:

I bet more people will buy cars to avoid public transit since it's filthy and spreads disease

believe me ive already seen memes about the filthy poors using public transport to spread the rona

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JK Fresco posted:

Can you imagine a world where people that rely on mass transportation didn't have to use it to go to work when they were sick?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

fknlo posted:

Can you imagine a world where people that rely on mass transportation didn't have to use it to go to work when they were sick?

S lot if the people I see in public trandport don't work st all

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Proud Christian Mom posted:

believe me ive already seen memes about the filthy poors using public transport to spread the rona

RIP Italy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

JK Fresco posted:

My aunt purchased an Elantra because of the pandemic. She was dead set on the Accent hatch because she rented one a couple years ago and loved it, but was surprised that it was discontinued.