Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Last time I used bluejeans was in 2016. I wasn't impressed at all.

Bluejeans was so loving bad back then it almost cost my my job. Company meetings would just gently caress up when I did absolutely everything correctly. For example there was a bug where a user would share their screen and it would just share up a black screen that would block other people from sharing and you couldn't ever unshare without taking down the whole meeting. Bluejeans was founded by some Indian dudes so of course their tech support was the most meme level useless script-readers possible.

I switched to Zoom in 2016 and put in Zoom Rooms and I instantly become a superstar. They have personally implemented feature requests for me within a week, multiple times (did you see that new feature about being able to see your own password complexity requirements? I was the first person to suggest that to them a couple weeks back and wrote up the feature request with them) and lastly their tech support is all stateside folks who give me an answer without transferring me, first time every time. Holds are pretty long right now for obvious reasons but it's worth it.

I don't normally stan for SaaS but I'll never forget how miraculous Zoom has been for me, and their philosophy of idiot-proofing the ever-living gently caress out of their stuff. All these Zoombombing things were just people not setting passwords on meetings, which anyone in IT could have forseen (I certainly did and already forced passwords). Anyway, I hope they crush WebEx and BlueJeans into dust because they deserve it.

Edit: also just to brag, I locked us into a hell of a deal with Zoom back in 2016. $6.20 per user for 500 users, can't raise the price and have to honor it whenever I add more. Let's say I learned a thing or two listening to the high pressure sales nerds surrounding me.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

Bluejeans was founded by some Indian dudes so of course their tech support was the most meme level useless script-readers possible.

Ehh maybe don't do this. Freshworks was founded by 'some Indian dudes' and I've had nothing but good experiences working with their staff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Ehh maybe don't do this. Freshworks was founded by 'some Indian dudes' and I've had nothing but good experiences working with their staff.

Okay, sorry, that sounded racist and Freshworks is decent. Though I don't think you can actually talk to them on the phone, isn't it email only?

I'm only trying to say overseas phone support almost always sucks and you shouldn't choose it because you have some buddies back home. Zoom's stateside support is unusual and another mark in their favor over Webex et al. It's just hard not to be bitter when half my workday is dealing with it. Wipro for Office365 is another disaster, doubly so with Covid right now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've done phone support with Freshservice and it was a totally pleasant experience.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah it's just anecdotal experience with out of country support, which mine experience is also that they're subpar.

Generally, that's more because the company offloading their support to cheap countries is an effect of "getting what you paid for" rather than where the people live.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

I've done phone support with Freshservice and it was a totally pleasant experience.

I've gone through email support with Freshservice and it was a lovely experience. Of course it had nothing to do with them being Indian, it was because of their (actually quite un-Indian) attitude that their product is designed perfectly and they will not change it to suit you, vis-a-vis the simple request of having the product NOT cc everyone in the world who was originally cc'ed on a ticket. Don't get me wrong, I like Freshdesk enough that I continue to use it even with the limitations, but it was quite frustrating that not only were they not willing to help me but they were basically telling me I was running a helpdesk wrong by not wanting everyone cc'ed all the time for every response. There are other issues (the fact they haven't loving put in resizable columns in the ticket view nor does the table view expand beyond some fixed size so even though I should be able to display all columns for the tickets on my 4K monitor I can't, because...1600 pixels is enough for anyone? :iiam: ), but yeah racism doesn't need to come into it, Freshworks has issues as a company period.

Also Veeam is one of my favorite products and the only tech company I still support unequivocally without any reservations (there used to be two but Digicert has jumped the shark recently), and that's made by evil Russkies who want to force me into communal farming and are probably drunk all the time, so bottom line if you start making assumptions about companies based on their country of origin you'll never have reliable backups. Wisdom for the ages.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Generally, that's more because the company offloading their support to cheap countries is an effect of "getting what you paid for" rather than where the people live.

Microsoft has their included office support, or if I want their Premier stateside support it was like 50k a year extra when I asked. Not sure why I have to pay a person's entire yearly salary to call them maybe once a month. If it was something like $100 per ticket, I'd absolutely sign the company up for that. My PBX company sells support credits that don't expire and I've been happy with those.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Microsoft has their included office support, or if I want their Premier stateside support it was like 50k a year extra when I asked. Not sure why I have to pay a person's entire yearly salary to call them maybe once a month.

Because big companies are misers and god forbid their multi million dollar a year CEO gets paid actual reasonable wages.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Zero VGS posted:

Bluejeans was so loving bad back then it almost cost my my job. Company meetings would just gently caress up when I did absolutely everything correctly. For example there was a bug where a user would share their screen and it would just share up a black screen that would block other people from sharing and you couldn't ever unshare without taking down the whole meeting. Bluejeans was founded by some Indian dudes so of course their tech support was the most meme level useless script-readers possible.

I switched to Zoom in 2016 and put in Zoom Rooms and I instantly become a superstar. They have personally implemented feature requests for me within a week, multiple times (did you see that new feature about being able to see your own password complexity requirements? I was the first person to suggest that to them a couple weeks back and wrote up the feature request with them) and lastly their tech support is all stateside folks who give me an answer without transferring me, first time every time. Holds are pretty long right now for obvious reasons but it's worth it.

I don't normally stan for SaaS but I'll never forget how miraculous Zoom has been for me, and their philosophy of idiot-proofing the ever-living gently caress out of their stuff. All these Zoombombing things were just people not setting passwords on meetings, which anyone in IT could have forseen (I certainly did and already forced passwords). Anyway, I hope they crush WebEx and BlueJeans into dust because they deserve it.

Edit: also just to brag, I locked us into a hell of a deal with Zoom back in 2016. $6.20 per user for 500 users, can't raise the price and have to honor it whenever I add more. Let's say I learned a thing or two listening to the high pressure sales nerds surrounding me.

Holy crap dude.

their sales team must hate you for getting that deal locked in.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I don't really have a problem with staying at home per se, but it really exposes how lovely my neighbours are. And I was looking for a new place before the pandemic hit and that's on hold right now.

I'm definitely missing a lot of the communication around the institute. It's very hard to get a feel for how things are going now because I only hear about it if it hits the ticket system. I don't even know what communication channels others are using.

Also, the worst for me is how much this has hosed up my daily schedule. I've been trying hard to get exercise and at least some sunlight, but it's hard to find motivation. I rely on my daily schedule to manage depression, so I just catch22-ed myself into a major depressive episode. :smith:
Yeah, I loving hate exercise, so the more effort I have to go through to get it, the less likely it is to happen. With a walking commute and a gym across the street from my office, it was a lot easier, especially since it was just part of my routine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I also loving hate exercise but I'm thinking of getting an exercise bike so I can just watch tv and go 15mph to nowhere.

I also had a walking commute and daily lunch walks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Buff Hardback posted:

Holy crap dude.

their sales team must hate you for getting that deal locked in.

I get a new sales rep every 6 months and they're like what the gently caress?! and try to weasel me out of it and I have to explain it each time lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dude made a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0APPIOxunM

Also, we used Zoom before this mess, and will likely continue, since they do seem to be committed to fixing all the poo poo exposed recently. I definitely like the service and our Zoom Rooms for ease of use and setup. We're currently testing using Zoom Digital Signage Only rooms with a stick PC as a substitute for ClickShare, though I'm not sold on that yet. Definitely cheaper, but the ClickShare dongles are so easy to use (if you're not completely helpless, anyway.)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

We use blue jeans, but are already moving away from it, because we signed up for a trial about 3 years ago, got the full suite of options and then they never billed us and everything kept working.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I loving hate exercise, so the more effort I have to go through to get it, the less likely it is to happen. With a walking commute and a gym across the street from my office, it was a lot easier, especially since it was just part of my routine.

I have a bike commute along a bike highway where I can go _fast_ without any cars slowing me down. It's great coming back from work after sitting in a chair the whole day. That's how I get my exercise. Or used to get…

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

NPR Journalizard posted:

We use blue jeans, but are already moving away from it, because we signed up for a trial about 3 years ago, got the full suite of options and then they never billed us and everything kept working.

I worked at an ISP that did this for Google Apps for ISPs or whatever it was called. They had thousands of email accounts hosted on Google for years at no charge until Google discontinued the program. That would have been manageable except for the fact that the person who signed up for the account was the only email contact listed and he retired two years previously, and since he had been gone for so long someone decided to kill that alias. Needless to say, on a Tuesday when roughly ten thousand users' email accounts stopped working, that was a bad day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My boss just put out a 12 page 'quick guide' to Duo enrollment meant for end users.

So much effort for something literally nobody will read, and we're already on v5 of the document.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

12 pages? I wouldn't read that either.

Our MFA enrollment instructions fit on 1.5 sheets of paper if they get printed out. 80% of that space is screenshots, and people still don't even pretend to look at it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, wait, what? Duo is actually pretty good with end-user self-service. How is it 12 pages?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol Duo is so simple.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
There's like 3 steps how the gently caress did he turn this into 12 pages.

OH MY GOD SO MANY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There's like 3 steps how the gently caress did he turn this into 12 pages.

OH MY GOD SO MANY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS.

It’s not doing something that is important, it’s the appearance and measurability of doing something.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone have a good solution for doing an autopilot deployment of a hybrid-joined device when it is outside the corporate network?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's hybrid joined (e.g. exists in Azure AD) then you just need to add the device to a group and scope it for AutoPilot, and it will pick the profile up next time it's reset.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm talking about a fresh-out-of-the-box computer that needs to be hybrid joined during the deployment.

Documentation indicates that this has to be done on a network with a domain controller accessible. I was wondering if there were any creative ways around this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get you. There's no VPN support yet, but it's coming.

Only workaround would be deploying your VPN solution using Intune and then having a Powershell script check for DC connectivity before doing a domain join.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

So we could do the autopilot deployment for AzureAD, then run a domain join script after the fact?

That could work.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Was that English?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We thankfully skipped hybrid join and just went straight into full autopilot/intune managed and azure ad joined laptops. 95% of our workforce is spread across the us in customer sites so autopilot has been a game changer for our desktop team.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

EoRaptor posted:

It’s not doing something that is important, it’s the appearance and measurability of doing something.

people in organizations succeed solely by putting great effort into the appearence of doing something, while simultaneously doing nothing. corporations love initiatives, fully aware that they are ideas that aren't going anywhere

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devmd01 posted:

We thankfully skipped hybrid join and just went straight into full autopilot/intune managed and azure ad joined laptops. 95% of our workforce is spread across the us in customer sites so autopilot has been a game changer for our desktop team.

This has been floated as an option. We'd just move all of our user devices out of on-prem ad and make them azuread only.

User accounts would still be managed in AD and synced.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, "c" is not a given. SARS-COV-2 has 3 close relatives. One of them is SARS-COV-1 which we know produces long term immunity. The other two in the close family are the viruses that make up over half of the "common cold" infections. These do not develop long term immunity which is why they recirculate every year.
I know we're like a full page in, but can I ask where you got your statistics from? The majority of sources I've read suggest that only 20% of causes of the common cold are coronaviruses, with the plurality being rhinoviruses and the remainder being RSV, parainfluenza and a number of smaller bugs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vulture Culture posted:

I know we're like a full page in, but can I ask where you got your statistics from? The majority of sources I've read suggest that only 20% of causes of the common cold are coronaviruses, with the plurality being rhinoviruses and the remainder being RSV, parainfluenza and a number of smaller bugs.

I honestly forget what article I read it in at this point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Welp frontier just poo poo the bed in Dfw. I have had this service for 7 years for with maybe 2 hours of downtime total outside today.

Found out they are filing chapter 11 . What a time to lose my internet.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

Welp frontier just poo poo the bed in Dfw. I have had this service for 7 years for with maybe 2 hours of downtime total outside today.

Found out they are filing chapter 11 . What a time to lose my internet.

Wow, that's insane, uh did they just shut down service?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

MF_James posted:

Wow, that's insane, uh did they just shut down service?

Chapter 11 is restructuring, not liquidation, so shutting down service is not the plan.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Frontier has no plan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tortilla_chip posted:

Frontier has no plan.

They never did.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/04/frontier-botches-redaction-reveals-952000-potential-network-problems/

(they also hosed up redacting the network audit report)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Man, dealing with Fortune 500 security teams as a vendor is very draining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If anyones dealing with Teams being a slow stuttering piece of poo poo, try turning off read receipts.