Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's been some weird loving lag going on with the EU servers. World of Tanks has been a herky jerky mess, and just tonight in WoWS I dodged a spread of torpedoes in my Friesland, then a almost a good second later I just randomly blew up from a torpedo hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

eggyolk posted:

WG please add this ship I designed when I was 7 to the game, thanks.

Superfiring turrets fore and aft and fore and aft centerline casemate guns, with what looks like a centerline 360-degree secondary. Scribble some Cyrillic on it and send it in to weegee and we’ll have a new T8 premium Soviet destroyer in 6 months.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

battleships make you stupid

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s me. I am stupid. What is happening? I genuinely don’t know because I am genuinely bad.

I mean, I can read of course but explain the situation please.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

It’s me. I am stupid. What is happening? I genuinely don’t know because I am genuinely bad.

He farmed 45k damage off a dumb Kurfurst from Smoke/behind an island. Notice the hit ribbons and torpedo hit ribbons in the screenshots. He could do this from stealth because the Kurfurst was in the center for no reason and his teammates were spotting it for him. Said Kurfurst then complained about it, because he is bad and doesn't understand why he shouldn't push in the center of the map with so many ships still alive. I'm guessing he died soon after the second screenshot.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In complete fairness, I'd rather have a BB that pushes to support the DDs, even too much, than fuckers like that Thunderer way back in B2 in that second screencap. Seriously, look at the goddamn angles from it to the enemy team when taking the islands into account.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's one thing to push, it's another thing to know exactly where a DD is (because it's shooting you) and still just trundle around the island and straight in to it's torps. Instead of... NOT walking right in to the torps.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, sure, but the GK was still alive 5 minutes later, and still in a better position to do something for the team than cowards accomplishing even less. Like, at least it's drawing fire at the 10 minute for other ships to theoretically exploit, as opposed to hiding in a corner contributing nothing.

Like, I didn't say the positioning or player was GOOD (and the tone of whining backs it up), I just said I'd prefer the kind of poor player that at least draws fire away from me and presents something of a threat to one literally hiding behind an island in the middle of nowhere doing neither. Again, look at the timestamp, it's 10 minutes in with almost every ship still alive, and the greens dominate the center... and then you have the Thunderer hiding at the back of the map.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Clan Wars was kind of a success after finding out you will not get to play entering with a bravo team.

Figures we won four straight only to get crushed in relegation.

Seems like DDs are...a mixed bag at best. Wargaming may have killed the competitive DD comps because good teams went without any.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

dialhforhero posted:

Sorry, it wasn't as funny as I thought. :smith:

Basically the Kurfürst pushed into the center and upon getting hit by a few DD shells from behind an island immediately proceeded to get mad in chat about "smoke heroes" or w/e and spammed the cursing quick command a bunch of times. He clearly didn't like the fact that people in not-battleships didn't want to fight him in the open and seemed to think that was most unsporting of them.

Basically I thought it was a funny example of pubbie BB captains not understanding how the game works. They see someone shooting them and notice they can't easily shoot back and they think "that's unfair!" not understanding that you can counterplay that sort of thing with positioning, nor the fact that something like a BB overmatch citadeling a cruiser through the stern isn't exactly fair either. They want battleships trading honorable salvoes one for one on Ocean, forever. When I told him that if you removed the ability to fire from behind islands or from smoke the game just becomes a DPM race he just replied "skill". That's the pubbie BB captain's understanding of the game right there - hitting things, basically. In one way it's a sorta sad testament to how inscrutable the game is.

I didn't actually do that much damage to him myself, most of the damage in the later screenshot was from getting some torps on a Smolensk in smoke.

e: hot take: the pubbie bb is right tho in that smoke is bad and should be removed

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 16, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gwaihir posted:

It's one thing to push, it's another thing to know exactly where a DD is (because it's shooting you) and still just trundle around the island and straight in to it's torps. Instead of... NOT walking right in to the torps.

Yeah, there's some VERY basic things every BB player (hell, every player in general but especially every BB player) should learn.

1. Don't just sail in a straight line. Slow down, speed up, change your course. If you just sail in a straight line even the most braindead pubbie shitlord can land a torpedo salvo on you.

2. Use Priority Target. Here's a super cool trick: if you're spotted by a DD and targeted, and then suddenly the number of ships targeting you drops by one for a bit? The DD just launched torpedoes. Aiming torps doesn't ping up the "ship is aiming for you" warning. Change course immediately.

3. Have map awareness. Use the "last known position" mod that automatically draws each enemy ship's last known position on your map. If a destroyer isn't currently active somewhere else, assume they're somewhere near you and play accordingly. Don't just YOLO around islands, don't just sit still. You can't really do much against a good DD player, but just paying attention will help you a ton against the rest.

On the flipside of this I'm really having a good time in my Jervis. It's a pretty fun extension of the more active and adrenaline-filled playstyle I really got to enjoy with cruisers. The 700 meter stealth torpedo window is kind of a pain but I figure I'm learning lessons that will pay off when I get longer range torps in the future.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You can also gently caress with decent players by switching to torp aim for about 5 seconds and then back to guns, usually when your torps are on CD and you have nothing better to do. This is only something you do to someone who is a 52% or above player. Any sub-50 either won’t notice, doesn’t have PT, or doesn’t know what it means. You can sometimes get people to make radical maneuvers to juke nonexistent torpedoes that will open them up to a paddlin’ from your team, or to get them to bleed speed at a critical moment.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Speaking of DD's I got the Halland the other day. Seems quite good, finally fixes the slow rear end turrets on the rest of the line and you get another 2 torps. The torps are deceptively strong on the high tier Swedes, they seem like they don't do any damage but then you look at the ribbons and the score cards and notice just how many of the dang things you're actually landing.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Preechr posted:

You can also gently caress with decent players by switching to torp aim for about 5 seconds and then back to guns, usually when your torps are on CD and you have nothing better to do. This is only something you do to someone who is a 52% or above player. Any sub-50 either won’t notice, doesn’t have PT, or doesn’t know what it means. You can sometimes get people to make radical maneuvers to juke nonexistent torpedoes that will open them up to a paddlin’ from your team, or to get them to bleed speed at a critical moment.

A lot of people also react very predictably (always slowing to half speed and turning left, for example) so once you've baited people a few times and observed how they react, you can launch torps based on that and they'll 'dodge' straight into them.

You can also abuse how many BB players will slow and/or turn their ship to get their guns aimed faster. Launch torps where they would end up if they turned to bring their guns around, then fire a few shots in the open to bait them into turning to shoot at you.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I once spent some time shadowing a group of BBs waiting for torps to reload in a Akatsuki, and just randomly changed targets. I could see them adjusting speed and heading all the time as the PT thing kept changing, and at one point two of them ran into each other. Now, I didn't land a single torp because of this, but it was hilarious driving them nuts and distracting them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

All the truly special players are out in force in the EU again. I'm talking "four ships chasing one Moskva in the corner of the map while the team loses big" special. I'm talking "42% winrate guy who bought a Jean Bart and is now backing away from the enemy until the entire side of the map has collapsed and then suicides into them" special. I'm talking "Midway AFKs for half of the match, then auto pilots into the enemy to die" special.

E: top tier Sov Soyuz hides behind a rock all game, then drives out to ram a 10k HP Dmitri Donskoi that was being focus fired by three ships and gets torpedoed on the run in. We were winning on points until our Brindisi and said Soyuz decided they needed to suicide into the enemy and gave them the win.

1982 PR for the night, 20% win rate. Good night.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 16, 2020

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Getting back into this. I've been playing my Ryushu with nominal success. The new (to me) CV gameplay is a lot of fun.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

SERPUS posted:

Getting back into this. I've been playing my Ryushu with nominal success. The new (to me) CV gameplay is a lot of fun.

You might want to tone down your fun having with a carrier. That's not allowed here. The circlejerk must not be interrupted.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Do we have any goons that play WoWS Legends or is that Heresy? I've had a look for a thread but no luck.

E; on the PS4

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

You might want to tone down your fun having with a carrier. That's not allowed here. The circlejerk must not be interrupted.

the fun of the 4% of players that are in CVs is 24 times as important as the fun of anyone else confirmed 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SERPUS posted:

Yeah, the new carriers are a lot more fun to play than the old RTS style. The Japanese line is also a ton of fun specifically, and the Hakuryu is my favourite CV by some distance.

If you want a fun crew trainer / premium, the Kaga is a blast. She only has T7 planes at T8, but the gimmick is that she has a TON of them in reserve so it's very forgiving to play. Unlike other Japanese CVs, Kaga's dive bombers also have HE bombs instead of AP.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

James Garfield posted:

the fun of the 4% of players that are in CVs is 24 times as important as the fun of anyone else confirmed 2020

Too late

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hazdoc posted:

I think a lot of people would agree that new CV's are more fun to play than the old CV's - I think so myself, and I was probably better at the old CV's than I am at the new ones. Having fun when I play them doesn't stop me from hating them when I'm in any other ship though, nor does it stop me from being convinced they're bad for the game, that they are fundamentally unfixable as a class and that they should never have been added in the first place. In fact making them more fun just kinda made the problems with them even more apparent, since now they're much more commonly seen than they ever were before.

Like, ships that are just overpowered (e.g. Kitakaze, Alaska, Kremlin) and/or obnoxious mechanically (Smolensk, Benham) are usually no more than mildly irritating to play against. You can deal with them in various ways, especially in the hands of a bad player. Seeing a Hakuryu on the enemy team though is just incredibly annoying because even if (or in some cases especially if) it's in the hands of a bad player, you know the way you play the match has to change and it's quite likely you're going to get messed with in a way that there is absolutely no way to mitigate. Certain lines are made significantly less fun to play merely because CV's exist and are relatively commonly encountered (most importantly French and Russian DD's, but also other open water flanking gunboats).

It's also annoying that CV's in general but the Hakuryu in particular still suffer from a problem that the old CV's also had - it looks balanced or even underpowered on average, but the unicum CV captains are still getting those >80% win rates. Something like the Kremlin is much more obviously unbalanced.

e: Hakuryu is definitely the best tech tree CV BTW - worst mistake you can do in a CV is waste time, and the Hakuryu's planes are quite fast. There are so many bullshit things about that ship but one of the things that stand out are the loving AP divebombers. Of all the dumb things about CV's, who came up with the idea that they should be able to do effectivly unhealable burst damage on top of all the other bullshit? The loving bombs do 8500 damage on a citadel and you get 12 bombers in a flight! It's like a Puerto Rico that you can't angle against. It's just incredibly stupid. Fortunately most Hakuryu players are too dumb to try to use them against cruisers, but if you're in a Moskva and you meet a pubbie who's figured it out, you're loving dead. You basically have to camp next to a Montana or Worcester or something all game to avoid getting murdered.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 17, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Twitch containers and camos, redeemable for the next 3 hours or so from the time of this post:

NA: https://worldofwarships.com/news/general-news/twitch-100k-stream/

RU: https://worldofwarships.ru/news/general-news/twitch-100k-stream/

EU: https://worldofwarships.eu/news/general-news/twitch-100k-stream/

ASIA: https://worldofwarships.asia/news/general-news/twitch-100k-stream/

Also the big anniversary stream that starts in an hour will drop Supercontainers for people who watch, so get on that if you want.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Any tips for Iowa cap skills and equipment? I notice i consistently get hosed by everytjing in it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Burns posted:

Any tips for Iowa cap skills and equipment? I notice i consistently get hosed by everytjing in it.

As many survival skills as possible. Also if possible, travel back in time to when US tech tree BB's weren't replaced by russian ones.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Introducing CVs to clan wars sort of highlights how stupid they are, since this is how the EU meta ended up with them included:

Stealth doesn't exist. DDs don't exist. It's just range mod Stalingrads trying to crossfire each other across the map before they get obliterated by AP bombers.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

davejk posted:

Introducing CVs to clan wars sort of highlights how stupid they are, since this is how the EU meta ended up with them included:

Stealth doesn't exist. DDs don't exist. It's just range mod Stalingrads trying to crossfire each other across the map before they get obliterated by AP bombers.

How fun and engaging. Be nice to see them try a thing where each ship has to be unique per team.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Burns posted:

100% bog standard BB build as used on every BB in the game. Heal flag is 100% mandatory. Jack of all Trades can be replaced with Expert Marksman if you like, both are fine. This build is pretty deep into diminishing returns on fire/flooding time reduction so you can replace damage control mod 2 with steering gears if you really want to, but it's not really worth it (or skip the fire/flooding flags, I guess). If you use anything other than this build for captain skills on literally any BB in the game, you're either going for some kind of gimmick build that can be funny but doesn't really work*, or you're using Halsey and want to run expert loader.

Being good at high tier BB play is something like 80% knowing where to position yourself. You want access to broadsides and you want to be able to disengage when you start getting focused. At the same time you don't want to be too far away. This usually means taking a fairly central position with your rear end towards the enemy and angled properly vs their BB's. Most people get too close because they can't aim (or they tunnel vision), or they go bow in because they don't turn in time so they have to try to reverse to disengage. Don't do either of those. iChase on Youtube has some good tutorials on position you can watch if you want. If you die before you've used all your heals you know you did it wrong.

The Iowa is good. It's fast and has good concealment and good accuracy. The Sovetsky Soyuz is tankier and has faster turrets but the guns are unreliable and it's harder to position in it. Montana is the exact same thing plus three more guns and 20k HP but minus 3 knots and some concealment. It's even better because more guns means more oneshots and killing things is important.

* On the Massachusetts/Georgia/Ohio you can run the secondary mod instead of the turret traverse mod plus the secondary flag and get 9.4km secondaries that are still accurate enough to work reliably against BB's. Do not spec captain skills into secondaries on any ship. Except possibly on the Bismarck/Tirpitz, but only as a desperation move because the main guns don't really work.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 17, 2020

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
As a change of pace, have a screenshot of a successful game for once:

I still like my 52, despite it appearently being nerfed into literal unplayablility.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

100% bog standard BB build as used on every BB in the game. Heal flag is 100% mandatory. Jack of all Trades can be replaced with Expert Marksman if you like, both are fine. This build is pretty deep into diminishing returns on fire/flooding time reduction so you can replace damage control mod 2 with steering gears if you really want to, but it's not really worth it (or skip the fire/flooding flags, I guess). If you use anything other than this build for captain skills on literally any BB in the game, you're either going for some kind of gimmick build that can be funny but doesn't really work*, or you're using Halsey and want to run expert loader.

Being good at high tier BB play is something like 80% knowing where to position yourself. You want access to broadsides and you want to be able to disengage when you start getting focused. At the same time you don't want to be too far away. This usually means taking a fairly central position with your rear end towards the enemy and angled properly vs their BB's. Most people get too close because they can't aim (or they tunnel vision), or they go bow in because they don't turn in time so they have to try to reverse to disengage. Don't do either of those. iChase on Youtube has some good tutorials on position you can watch if you want. If you die before you've used all your heals you know you did it wrong.

The Iowa is good. It's fast and has good concealment and good accuracy. The Sovetsky Soyuz is tankier and has faster turrets but the guns are unreliable and it's harder to position in it. Montana is the exact same thing plus three more guns and 20k HP but minus 3 knots and some concealment. It's even better because more guns means more oneshots and killing things is important.

* On the Massachusetts/Georgia/Ohio you can run the secondary mod instead of the turret traverse mod plus the secondary flag and get 9.4km secondaries that are still accurate enough to work reliably against BB's. Do not spec captain skills into secondaries on any ship. Except possibly on the Bismarck/Tirpitz, but only as a desperation move because the main guns don't really work.

However, a secondary spec'd Massachusetts captain is extremely fun since the Mass guns are very German at times.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am very new to this and am clowning around with French cruisers. Doing a lot of shooting and scooting with the French cruisers at long range with HE. Is this what I should be doing? Any advice on advancement and builds? Other cruiser lines to explore?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
80KFOLLOWERSTOTWEET

New code went up a short time ago

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am very new to this and am clowning around with French cruisers. Doing a lot of shooting and scooting with the French cruisers at long range with HE. Is this what I should be doing? Any advice on advancement and builds? Other cruiser lines to explore?

This is exactly what you should be doing. For captain skills go Priority Target -> Adrenaline Rush (more damage) or Last Stand (more survivability, you'll eventually want both) -> Demolition Expert -> Concealment Expert. That's 10 points, 12 with both AR and LS. After that you probably want Superintendent (for an extra speed boost, and eventually a heal at higher tiers). If you like the play style, the Japanese cruisers are similar but shorter ranged with better concealment - you'll want to play them a bit closer. If you want to try something different, either of the American cruiser lines are good, with the heavy line (starting with Pensacola) probably better for newer players.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey guys remember when the Ägir was supposed to be a close range brawling cruiser?

Well she ain't no more.

Wargaming posted:

German cruiser Ägir, Tier IX:

Main battery firing range increased from 17.0 to 18.5 km;
Sigma parameter increased from 1.8 to 2.05;
Main battery reload time reduced from 22 to 20 s;
Secondary battery firing range reduced from 7.6 to 5.3 km;
Accuracy settings of secondary armament are adjusted to the standard settings for cruisers

The concept of Ägir initially implied close-range combat with the help of torpedo armament and secondary guns which were uncharacteristically strong for the class. However, her constructive features - bad aiming angles of the aft turret and her armor - didn't allow to fulfill the ship's potential in this role. New settings will make Ägir a mid- and long-range ship, and she will still be effective in close-range combat against single targets.

Hope you wanted a poo poo Alaska without any of the utility.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 17, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That one Flamu video with the Agir secondaries was really funny. RIP.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
secondaries are bad and not funny, who cares

german ships are also universally bad and not funny, so double who cares

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheFluff posted:

This usually means taking a fairly central position with your rear end towards the enemy and angled properly vs their BB's.
Don't angle butt-first towards the enemy unless you're kiting away from them and using the Iowa's speed to that advantage. The Iowa has a long citadel and shots landing on your butt will pen/citadel you from most of the BB's you'll face.
The ship comes into her own when you get the final hull upgrade and you can start turning her worth a dang (her turning radius and length still make it awkward but at least you can turn in emergencies now.)

TheFluff posted:

Tell that to the Graf Zepplin meme machines :v:

I think it's hilarious that the carrier that's most 'balanced' in the game (because it's aircraft are now mediocre at best) can get a high caliber by mostly ignoring it's aircraft (also 1500+ secondary hits is pretty ludicrous.)

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TheFluff posted:

thanks for your valuable input, my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

EponymousMrYar posted:

Don't angle butt-first towards the enemy unless you're kiting away from them and using the Iowa's speed to that advantage. The Iowa has a long citadel and shots landing on your butt will pen/citadel you from most of the BB's you'll face.
The ship comes into her own when you get the final hull upgrade and you can start turning her worth a dang (her turning radius and length still make it awkward but at least you can turn in emergencies now.)
When I say angled I mean angled, not literally stern-in. Iowa has 32mm stern like everything else and can't be overmatched through it.

e: eating 8k pen damage through the rear end every now and then won't do much either, it's more important to be able to get the gently caress out quickly when a harugumo and a worcester start hammering you

Hazdoc posted:

thanks for your valuable input, my dude
you're very welcome

i know a lot of people have very bad opinions about this game so i need to provide the correct point of view to the thread

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 17, 2020