Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

This current arc is reminding me of the Shinobi World War.

It's gonna take 4 days in manga time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Thinking on it Bleach of all things might be the shonen that treated fire most seriously, if only because fire was reserved for Captain Genocide.

Funnily enough, Bleach was also one of the few shonen where fire doing arbitrary amount of damage was completely justified, because literally everyone was ghost/spirit/soul/whatever running around in spirit world, so it's not like there were any physical bodies that could be realistically hurt with fire... :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Ah, the Fugo dilemma

I think Okuyasu is the only character with an overpowered Stand who isn't just completely ditched by Araki. Even then, he clearly gets to do less than other characters.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think Okuyasu is the only character with an overpowered Stand who isn't just completely ditched by Araki. Even then, he clearly gets to do less than other characters.

He did have to be "dead" for most of the final fight because his power would've ruined it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Okuyasu has the most crippling nerf of all, he’s a jojo character who can’t think of how to use his stand creatively

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Sometimes Food posted:

Thinking on it Bleach of all things might be the shonen that treated fire most seriously, if only because fire was reserved for Captain Genocide.

Bazz B.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bazz B was presented as pretty dangerous the whole time.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
To be fair, Avdol was just plain too responsible and decent a person to use his fire powers to their full potential.

...which is 'burn down every building that has a stand user in it'.

Just burn everything and you'll win.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did Yachiru ever have a fight in Bleach?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

RareAcumen posted:

There was the one where her bones turned into cookies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RareAcumen posted:

A quick one, yes.

Then her bones turned into cookies.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Level Seven posted:

There was the one where her bones turned into cookies.

RatHat posted:

A quick one, yes.

Then her bones turned into cookies.

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
It's a lot better than the last fight she had.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
What the gently caress?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You can't just drop that on us and not explain

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
One of the bad guys is a boy who can change reality to whatever he wants so he turned her bones into cookies because she was too instinctively good at cutting him to be tricked by any illusions.

He eventually loses when Kenpachi shows up because he tries to imagine himself as stronger than Kenpachi and gets really huge and strong but then apparently his body just falls apart because he actually can't comprehend the possibility of being that strong

It was very dumb and definitely not as good as the random guy the science dude beats by injecting him with 10000x super soldier serum so he perceives time so slowly that he experiences thousands of years of science man's katana slowly approaching his eyeball

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Half of Dracula posted:

It's a lot better than the last fight she had.

That was the last fight, unless you count her 'fighting' alongside Kenpachi as his Bankai.

She fought Old Man V who could turn himself invisible, then it turns out Old Man V was a Fake V made by the Real V, and Real V turned her bones into cookies.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's gonna be sick to see her bones turn into cookies in the new anime.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kild posted:

It's gonna be sick to see her bones turn into cookies in the new anime.

Oh my god, why? :gonk: It literally just ends out of nowhere after the manga was cancelled, it is the biggest wet fart of an arc in existence.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 17, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean....it'll be sick

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That was the last fight, unless you count her 'fighting' alongside Kenpachi as his Bankai.

She fought Old Man V who could turn himself invisible, then it turns out Old Man V was a Fake V made by the Real V, and Real V turned her bones into cookies.

Whoops I mixed up Yachiru and Yoruichi's names

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is some of Bleach good?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is some of Bleach good?

THe whole first arc is really well done shonen and just a bunch of goofball weirdo locals having to fight ghosts. Honestly the best start of any of the big 3.

And then the Ghost samurai show up and the whole thing poops its pants.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I understand it, Bleach peaks around the Soul Society arc early on then sort of goes downhill from there and never really stops.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

As I understand it, Bleach peaks around the Soul Society arc early on then sort of goes downhill from there and never really stops.

it peaks way before that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked the Ulquiorra and Aizen fights well enough

As for the story... eh, definitely feel like it peaked early on and mesa'd out for a fair bit

Some interesting character designs, at any rate

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Elfgames posted:

it peaks way before that

I mean at least the Soul Society holds up thematically... until later on where they gently caress it up by leaving everything fundamentally the same instead of there being a more tangible effect of the supposedly major shake-up in the soul society.

The beginning is the best part for sure but if the quality didn't decline from the Soul Society arc as starkly as it did, I think more people would remember Bleach more fondly, not as a story with 2 good arcs and a bunch of wasted opportunities.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bible Ian Black posted:

I mean at least the Soul Society holds up thematically... until later on where they gently caress it up by leaving everything fundamentally the same instead of there being a more tangible effect of the supposedly major shake-up in the soul society.

The beginning is the best part for sure but if the quality didn't decline from the Soul Society arc as starkly as it did, I think more people would remember Bleach more fondly, not as a story with 2 good arcs and a bunch of wasted opportunities.

i mean i guess at least when ichigo climbs the metaphorical stairs in the soul society arc he gets to do cool things but that's about it.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So back on the subject of fire = bad, I wonder if everyone other than Endeavor doesn't just disintegrate everyone with their fire could be explained away if you just say that his wife's quirk made all of his kids' fire powers cooler as a result and therefor not as instantly lethal. Bakugo also doesn't sweat shrapnel so maybe just an extremely strong explosion won't kill people that way? IDK this probably doesn't deserve as much thought as I'm trying to give it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah, doesn't kill them, just causes repeated minor traumatic brain injuries from the shockwaves. Internal bruising and permanent brain damage = less than lethal force.

(Never apply logic)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you have to remember this is magic anime land where people are 10x more durable than normal, people without superpowers can jump 12 feet in the air, and you can knock people out for hours with a well placed karate chop to the neck with no ill effects afterwards

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CharlestonJew posted:

people are 10x more durable than normal, people without superpowers can jump 12 feet in the air

the true quirk singularity

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

It's a prequel to the Monster Hunter series. Pretty soon the Elder Dragons are gonna start showing up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, doesn't kill them, just causes repeated minor traumatic brain injuries from the shockwaves. Internal bruising and permanent brain damage = less than lethal force.

(Never apply logic)

Yeah you really don't want to start trying to work out "what if real life logic" to Bakugo's quirk because he'd be handing out traumatic brain injuries like candy and using his big explosions would probably jellify some organs from concussive shock. Forceful explosions are hugely dangerous to humans even beyond the heat, the light, and the shrapnel.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Bakugo would probably be deaf by now too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rhonne posted:

Why do you think he’s constantly shouting?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

why do you think hes always yelling

e;fb

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

THe whole first arc is really well done shonen and just a bunch of goofball weirdo locals having to fight ghosts. Honestly the best start of any of the big 3.

And then the Ghost samurai show up and the whole thing poops its pants.

Even then the first arc is just a worse version of the first arc of Yu Yu Hakusho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Why do you think he’s constantly shouting?

If Bakugou is mostly deaf and just never told anyone cause of ego that would... actually fit him perfectly.