Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Regarding discard, my go-to bread recipe uses 200 g starter, which is exactly how much I use to feed (100 g flour and 100 g water), so my starter doesn't grow uncontrollably (I usually feed it a day before baking, once or twice a week).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bemused Observer posted:

Regarding discard, my go-to bread recipe uses 200 g starter, which is exactly how much I use to feed (100 g flour and 100 g water), so my starter doesn't grow uncontrollably (I usually feed it a day before baking, once or twice a week).

Have you ever made a levain? It's probably gonna do what you want!

I make mine the morning of making my loaves. 37g starter, 74g water, 37g ww, 37g AP. 5-6 hours later it's peaking and ready to be added to the autolysed flour.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Any thoughts on rolling the Overnight Country Blonde dough from FWSY into a loaf pan?

A video I saw on YouTube has you flatten(ish) the dough a bit into a disc with your fingers, then roll the dough down into a cylinder. Will a straight sourdough hold up to this kind of method?

In starter news, my (second) replacement seems to be much more at home in a Ball jar than a 2qt cambro. I think I’ll relegate the cambros to overnight prep duty. I fed it this morning and just pulled 230g to try out the King Arthur sourdough waffles recipe. Let’s see how this goes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dangerllama posted:

A video I saw on YouTube has you flatten(ish) the dough a bit into a disc with your fingers, then roll the dough down into a cylinder. Will a straight sourdough hold up to this kind of method?

None of us can tell tell you what your dough is like. But that’s one of the standard-ish procedures for loaf pans, so unless it’s super sticky or something you should be fine. Worst case it’d just end up slightly less pretty, so

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which, any suggestions on what to do with discard? I'm really cringing throwing this much flour away right now, given that everyone's loving panic buying it everywhere and it's hard as gently caress to get and I don't want to go grocery store to grocery store looking for it.

You should make crackers, like these: https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2019/03/sourdough-crackers-with-olive-oil-herbs.html

I keep the discard in a separate jar in my fridge, and have been making crackers when I accumulate 1 c. of funky slime. Using the pasta roller makes for super thin and crispy crackers, and they turn out way better than the "artisan" crackers you can buy from the store for $6 a box!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, so I have overly dense white bread. Is that from not kneading enough? Because this Motherfucker doubled in size twice when I let it rest.

How are you measuring your flour? Are you using a scale? If your answer is yes, then we might all need more information. But if you're measuring your flour with a scoop (cups), then you might be packing too much flour in there? I was doing this at first and it caused dense baked goods.

If you don't have a scale then my favorite way to measure into cups is to get a spoon and spoon flour into the cup and do not pack the flour into the cup, but scrape across the top to measure.

Once the world gets back to normal or you get a little bit of money to dedicate to baking, buy a cheap digital scale if you're not already using one. Made a big difference in both quality and amount of time I invested into making bread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

got some chores tonight posted:

You should make crackers, like these: https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2019/03/sourdough-crackers-with-olive-oil-herbs.html

I keep the discard in a separate jar in my fridge, and have been making crackers when I accumulate 1 c. of funky slime. Using the pasta roller makes for super thin and crispy crackers, and they turn out way better than the "artisan" crackers you can buy from the store for $6 a box!

How do you keep it from sticking to your rollers? Just flour the gently caress out of it?

The stuff I"ve got right now is so sticky I wouldn't put it anywhere near my pasta roller.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

beerinator posted:

How are you measuring your flour? Are you using a scale? If your answer is yes, then we might all need more information. But if you're measuring your flour with a scoop (cups), then you might be packing too much flour in there? I was doing this at first and it caused dense baked goods.

If you don't have a scale then my favorite way to measure into cups is to get a spoon and spoon flour into the cup and do not pack the flour into the cup, but scrape across the top to measure.

Once the world gets back to normal or you get a little bit of money to dedicate to baking, buy a cheap digital scale if you're not already using one. Made a big difference in both quality and amount of time I invested into making bread.

I was scooping it since my scale broke but I picked up a new scale last night and I'll be trying to make some more bread soon. I'll report back with more info if it turns out poo poo again

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

One nice thing about no-knead bread is that if you make like, a giant batch of dough and keep it in the fridge, and bake it off every couple of days, you end up with sourdough after a week or two!

That’s basically the artisan bread in five minutes a day method, isn’t it?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yep, it's what I do when I don't want to bother with a starter, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

How do you keep it from sticking to your rollers? Just flour the gently caress out of it?

The stuff I"ve got right now is so sticky I wouldn't put it anywhere near my pasta roller.

Well, i'm skeptical of that recipe's weights, but you could just add more flour or oil to the base, too. This is a personal choice but with no leavening I like a fattier cracker.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I was scooping it since my scale broke but I picked up a new scale last night and I'll be trying to make some more bread soon. I'll report back with more info if it turns out poo poo again

Take the opportunity to see how your dough looks / feels / kneads at different measures. A scale will make your bread more repeatable for sure, but dough is pretty forgiving once you figure out how it looks, and then you'll be able to confidently make bread if your scale dies / you have to do it someplace else / etc.

therattle posted:

That’s basically the artisan bread in five minutes a day method, isn’t it?

I believe so. Honestly I think most of the benefits of sourdough are super overrated / pretentious (and I like sourdough). Most of the wild yeasts don't make a huge difference to the end product, though the sour flavour from the bacteria can be nice. A long ferment in the fridge and/or a good pre-ferment gets you 95% of the way there in terms of everything else imo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Quote is not edit

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

ShaneB posted:

Have you ever made a levain? It's probably gonna do what you want!

I make mine the morning of making my loaves. 37g starter, 74g water, 37g ww, 37g AP. 5-6 hours later it's peaking and ready to be added to the autolysed flour.

I mean "it doesn't grow uncontrollably" as in "I don't end up having too much starter and having to wonder what to do about the surplus amount, because the amount needed for the dough is exactly how much I use for the feeding". The dough itself rises very decently. It's actually a non-levain recipe, you just mix the starter, some fresh flour, water and salt, knead it, proof (prove?) it and bake, but it ends up great, especially considering how simple and fast it is.

But actually that does bring me to a question for this thread, I've had several occasions where my bread (not just this recipe) deflated completely on the way between the banneton and the oven. Am I right in thinking it's because I left the dough to rise for too long? Or is there another explanation/mitigation?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bemused Observer posted:

Am I right in thinking it's because I left the dough to rise for too long? Or is there another explanation/mitigation?

sounds that way to me

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Results of my efforts to Not Waste Discard. Verdict on the King Arthur sourdough waffles: better than waffle mix, but nowhere near The Food Lab.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 17, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I had a very happy, active starter before lockdown and tried moving to a less wasteful schedule 3 or so weeks ago where it spends most of the week in the fridge and only gets fed when I make bread, and it worked ok for a couple of weeks, but now it's in such sad shape that I fell asleep waiting for some dough to rise last night and after spending the night on the counter it had only risen by half or so. I think I'm going to go back to bare minimum daily feedings, but fridge the discard and dabble with incorporating it into other recipes

e:

not my best or worst looking boule ever

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 17, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anyone have ideas why my starter just isn't growing? I'm on day five now and I keep reading about how it should be doubling or tripling in size after a feeding, and it's expanding maybe 50%, tops.

It's being kept in a warm place (probably 75-80 degrees) and smells sour with a kind of sloppy, not quite liquidy consistency now but few bubbles and little expansion.

Meanwhile my wife's looking askance at how much flour I'm wasting given how hard the poo poo is to find right now :/

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are you keeping by weight and what are you feeding

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

113g kept, add 113g flour and 113g water.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Keep 20, feed 50/50 and ill bet it doubles.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Dangerllama posted:

Results of my efforts to Not Waste Discard. Verdict on the King Arthur sourdough waffles: better than waffle mix, but nowhere near The Food Lab.

Do you have a recipe for the Food Lab ones? I have been doing the KA waffles and really enjoying them, but if there is a better option I am all for it.

Here are my KA sourdough waffles:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Keep 20, feed 50/50 and ill bet it doubles.

Keep 20 what? G? Instead of 113?

Sorry I know gently caress all of the terminology with this stuff.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Keep 20 what? G? Instead of 113?

Sorry I know gently caress all of the terminology with this stuff.

I assume that's what they meant. Honestly, I tend to just get a good big spoonful of liquidy starter and add it to a 1:1 mix (usually 100g of each if I need a lot of starter).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok. Is that enough? Most of the stuff I've read had a 1:1:1 with starter/flour/water when trying to get one going.

edit: note that I'm still trying to get my starter going. I don't know if it's full strength or whatever, and I kind of doubt it. MOstly all these guides talk about how it should be bubblign etc and it's not doing any of that poo poo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ishamael posted:

Do you have a recipe for the Food Lab ones? I have been doing the KA waffles and really enjoying them, but if there is a better option I am all for it.

Here are my KA sourdough waffles:

I’ve never been able to find the recipe online but I have it memorized so here you go. This is probably getting a little far afield from “bread” so LMK if this doesn’t belong here:

ingredients:

- 10oz (2 cups) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs. separated. Beat the egg whites until they have stiff peaks.
- 1.3 cups buttermilk
- 4tbsp butter, melted.
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup ice cold club soda

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks and vanilla. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix. Then add the buttermilk mixture and combine. Next stir in the club soda, gently. This should make a lumpy mixture, it doesn’t need to be totally combined. Lastly, gently fold in the egg whites.

I have the whole process down to about 10-15 minutes. You can pre-mix the dry ingredients and keep them on hand to expedite the whole process.

FWIW the book itself is phenomenal, and I highly recommend it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok. Is that enough? Most of the stuff I've read had a 1:1:1 with starter/flour/water when trying to get one going.

edit: note that I'm still trying to get my starter going. I don't know if it's full strength or whatever, and I kind of doubt it. MOstly all these guides talk about how it should be bubblign etc and it's not doing any of that poo poo.

If it's rising by half it's doing some of that. The above got it right. Yeast growth wants to be exponential so a lower ratio of starter helps get real active yeast.

At first a 1:1:1 is good so you don't start over every day like you would with a .1:1:1

_e you're going to toss 20 regardless, just give it a go and if it works out you have an immediately better culture

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 17, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Sourdough double chocolate muffins

Also got a cake/bread format one still in the toaster oven. Still baking.

Used this recipe https://melissaknorris.com/sourdough-chocolate-bread-from-scratch/

It looks like the fermentation isn't strictly necessary for the rise, but I love the texture it gave the batter. Used sourdough discard, the batter was absolutely delicious. Will let you all know how they taste!

All that "fermentation for health and wellness" stuff is bullshit, right? This can't be healthy.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 17, 2020

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Suspect Bucket posted:

Used this recipe https://melissaknorris.com/sourdough-chocolate-bread-from-scratch/

It looks like the fermentation isn't strictly necessary for the rise, but I love the texture it gave the batter. Used sourdough discard, the batter was absolutely delicious. Will let you all know how they taste!

All that "fermentation for health and wellness" stuff is bullshit, right? This can't be healthy.

That looks absolutely great, I really hope it tastes good because I got some discard I gotta use

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which, any suggestions on what to do with discard? I'm really cringing throwing this much flour away right now, given that everyone's loving panic buying it everywhere and it's hard as gently caress to get and I don't want to go grocery store to grocery store looking for it.

Right now my discard doesn't rise at all so there's that too. I made a little almost loaf last night to see if I could get it to do anything and meh, it was just a ball of glue this morning. Would have made maybe slightly sour hard tack.

These biscuits are amazing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
For those having trouble getting a sourdough starter going-- try this method over at The Fresh Loaf. Lots of photos, lots of comments to look through to see if someone had the same trouble and got it solved.

The Fresh Loaf is a fantastic resource, if you haven't been there yet.

Suspect Bucket posted:

It is mostly BS for bread but it does break down some sugars/starches that some people are sensitive to. Not a worry for the general population. (Also fermentation like in yogurt or sauerkraut does produce some health benefits, like less lactose and more good bacteria for the yogurt and a ton of vitamin C for the sauerkraut.)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I am a carbivore and sourdough breads are definitely easier for me to digest. No one is going to confuse sourdough donuts or cupcakes for a health food, though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey guys guess what THEY ARE loving AMAZING

Soft bouncy with a delightful chew. Not super sweet, extremely nice. Only sub I made was light brown sugar for white, because that's all I got.

Edit: I just had the one in the 3x9 pan, and this is legitimately the best chocolate cake I've ever made, and maybe ever had. It needs no frosting. The applesauce is NECESSARY.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 18, 2020

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve never been able to find the recipe online but I have it memorized so here you go. This is probably getting a little far afield from “bread” so LMK if this doesn’t belong here:

Have you tried the ChefSteps waffles? That has been my go to for a few years now. I do want to try some recipes using my starter though since I just got it going again.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Made bagels for the first time!

Whole wheat everything turned out pretty good! Didn't have bread flour so they could have been chewier. Next time I'm also going to make them bigger because I'm used to NYC bagels and these were small.

Also, holy hell is shaping bagels tricky. These definitely came out a bid oddly shaped but still delicious.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm not really in the sourdough game but I have an anecdote from the past few days. I made a poolish for some ciabatta Wednesday night and baked it Friday. I did not add yeast to the poolish. Come Friday morning, It looked like something had moved in and started a Fight Club after a rock band trashed the place. Lots of little bubbles, streaks, puddles, even some different colors. I was using some TAM-105 flour produced locally. I suspect trying to make a starter from a big-brand mix is going to be harder because I imagine those places are actively taking measures that would prevent crazy poo poo from happening because that risks big $$$ for them. Meanwhile, some local mill pulls some wheat in from some guy 45 miles away next to a pile of cow poo poo and you can see the individual flour granules moving on their own in your hand.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

O poo poo my starter started being a starter.

Overflowed its container out of nowhere yesterday, made a small test loaf with the discard when I fed it. Left that overnight, popped it in the oven this morning, and the result sure was sourdough. A little flat probably because I let it sit too long before baking but whatever.

Followup question now that I have this thing ticking. I'm never going to bake with it every day. I know you can store them in the fridge if you want to do it more like weekly. I'm also seeing a dozen different ideas online for how to put it away for storage and how to revive it.

Here's what I've gotten as a sort of cross section of those:

I'm thinking feed it, let it chill for a couple hours to start doing its thing, stick it in the fridge. Come back a week later, bring it up to room temp, discard and feed, then get baking once it's gone through a feed cycle.

Question: I'm seeing a bunch of bread blogs and the like saying to let it go through at least 2-3 feed cycles after taking it out of the fridge. Is this necessary, or is this bread people having really high standards about how goo their sourdough is? I'm OK if it's good but not great after just one feeding.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I want to make a dough that I can put some potato and cheese inside of and then bake. What's a recipe I should be looking at?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I've been baking a bit more since the quarantine started.

Swedish saffron braided bread with vanilla cream filling.

Hokkaido milk rolls topped with garlic and herb butter.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I wanted to use up my starter discard.

Sugared sourdough yeast doughnuts with fresh lemon curd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Question: I'm seeing a bunch of bread blogs and the like saying to let it go through at least 2-3 feed cycles after taking it out of the fridge. Is this necessary, or is this bread people having really high standards about how goo their sourdough is? I'm OK if it's good but not great after just one feeding.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/weekend-baking-schedule/

This is my guru. This guide has worked fine for me but I haven't compared fridging to my new regular feedings for awhile.

You want to feed it to get it back to strength. Regular daily small feedings are best for this, 2x daily is ideal for me.