Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vitamin P posted:

Question; why is the government announcing that it's another 3 weeks of lockdown while also announcing the furlough support will be going on for at least 3 months? Is there some public good to tricking some people into thinking 'it might only be another few weeks' while the Savvy Reader understands it'll be much longer?

Its cushioning for those whose jobs aren't coming back. They know the global economy is going to loving go into depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ms Adequate posted:

I think the lifting of the lockdown is intended/expected to be a progressive thing rather than ending all quarantine efforts all at once? So the additional three weeks is just to the beginning of that, but we can't expect everyone to be back to normal for much longer.

Also I guess manufacturers / importers have to be up and running before the next link in the supply chain right through to the customer.

Eg beer. I don't know how much they keep in, but presumably they need to brew some before pubs can reopen? Shops might need a few days to restock or whatever - a lot of the shops in my high street have all mother's day stuff in the windows because that was just after the lockdown.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Payndz posted:

I once had a boss who'd done this at least twice - picking up all his old company's assets cheap and starting a new company in the same building while leaving creditors in the poo poo - to the point of having to hire effectively an office bouncer to protect him from pissed-off people demanding money. Right after I left he did it again, leaving me out of pocket on a bunch of freelance stuff I'd done that wasn't part of my regular work. About a year later I got maybe 10% of what I was owed. Thankfully I wasn't depending on it for food or rent.

Why anyone's allowed to do this more than once, and even on that one time without massive restrictions on their subsequent actions, is a mystery. But hey, that's capitalism!

The short answer is you're not. The trouble is that it generally requires someone with time and/or money to actually enforce this.

At minimal cost, you could make a complaint setting out why you think he should be disqualified as a director. There's always an outside chance there have been lots of complaints, and if disqualified, he will be forbidden from becoming a director of future companies without permission.

I'm assuming from your description that he's only doing it repeatedly because it's worth his while, aka he's squirreling profits away while screwing his creditors. That's a criminal offence and grounds for disqualification as a company director, and for personal liability through 'piercing the corporate veil'. (e.g. https://www.businessrescueexpert.co.uk/piercing-corporate-veil/).

If you think he's deliberately been putting assets out of reach of his creditors before liquidating, then you can apply to resurrect the company for a small fee to try and open proceedings. Then the Insolvency Service can handle complaints once he tries to dissolve it again.

If he's just terrible at running a business (i.e. he's genuinely running out of money each time and then starting again out of blind faith that he'll do better next time) then it's a bit harder to prove, but it's still an offence to knowingly trade while insolvent or taking on third parties with no intentions to pay them. As always, those who have time and money to piss away on lawyers are the ones that get justice.

He sounds like a real poo poo and I'm sorry you got stiffed.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It may come as a shock, but the second wor Bozza legernd decides we can all die together again, not every business in the country is going to pull back every single worker who's currently on leave back into the office

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Question; why is the government announcing that it's another 3 weeks of lockdown while also announcing the furlough support will be going on for at least 3 months? Is there some public good to tricking some people into thinking 'it might only be another few weeks' while the Savvy Reader understands it'll be much longer?

Also large companies laying off >100 people need to give their employees 45 days notice if they make them redundant. If the furlough is approaching the end, companies need to make decisions 45 days prior to that about whether they will be able to pay their employees or whether they need to make them redundant. A lengthy extension gives everyone breathing room and means companies can see the economy picking up before making redundancy decisions.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

This, however, is 100% real.

It’s like a Squires cartoon has come to life.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Z the IVth posted:

I tried it in a cluttered office and it managed to only pick up the door and turn it into a portal to a starry void.

can't you leave the chair and let it get a look at the stuff it needs to remove, so when you come back it knows anything different must be the foreground? Or doesn't it work that way?

dimensional void door sounds better anyway

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

I think the lifting of the lockdown is intended/expected to be a progressive thing rather than ending all quarantine efforts all at once? So the additional three weeks is just to the beginning of that, but we can't expect everyone to be back to normal for much longer.

Yeah it's exactly this - the EFL have declared that they're going to finish their season(s) behind closed doors with free online video coverage, presumably because they know large events will be the last thing allowed back. Also the Treasury really can't think in timescales smaller than a quarter.

I'd say at a guess it'll go something like:

- allow parks and playgrounds to reopen (distancing still enforced)
- relaxing non-essential travel restrictions for leisure, ramping public transport back up
- allow behind-closed-doors sporting events with testing for all involved
- "encouraging" - presumably with loan guarantees or maybe a buyback scheme - non-essential manufacturing and logistics to reopen with enhanced PPE/distancing
- non-essential high-street and out-of-town retail reopens with distancing
- schools reopen in phases to provide childcare for workers in the above steps, with a shortened or moved summer holiday to accommodate
- pubs and shopping centres allowed to reopen with distancing
- all restrictions lifted, distancing "encouraged"

with a week or two between each stage to allow things to settle.

This is all contingent on good-quality testing - both antigen and antibody - and contact tracing being in place and capable of dealing with the numbers of people coming in, otherwise it'll all collapse before stage two.

Of course what will actually happen is BOZZA LEGERND will return, tell everyone to go back out and spend money, giant street parties will be held in his honour and everyone will be dead in a fortnight.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
This is why Starmer's "Where's the exit plan?" whinging is actually not a bad political move, by the way - I think everyone thinks that in a couple of weeks the magic wand will be waved and we'll all go back to what we were doing in March, but even the most suicidal attempt at reversing the lockdown is going to take weeks, with massive disruption all around. It's also a pretty good shout for business owners who kinda need to know what the rampup is going to look like - this is as close to a cold start of the economy as we've ever had to do before, and there has to be an absolute shitload of planning done to make sure that as businesses reopen they don't immediately have to close again because all their suppliers are still screaming at their suppliers who are screaming etc etc etc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bornbytheriver posted:

:stare:

Do they live in the UK?

There are Russian surnames that have 'tzigan' as their root, e.g. Tzigannikov, Tziganyuk, but naming someone Tzigane is rather odd.

Yep. This was about 10 years ago I think.

Tbf I'd never heard the word myself so just went "huh, weird" and forgot about it. Always Google your baby names folks!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also I guess manufacturers / importers have to be up and running before the next link in the supply chain right through to the customer.

Eg beer. I don't know how much they keep in, but presumably they need to brew some before pubs can reopen? Shops might need a few days to restock or whatever - a lot of the shops in my high street have all mother's day stuff in the windows because that was just after the lockdown.

The first hurdle with pubs is going to be the obscene amount of out of date beer sitting in the cellars. Disposal safely on site is difficult so it's all going to need uplifting by the various breweries. Won't be a fun time for the dray men

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Buzzfeed has the goods on Number Ten's gradually emerging plans for its coronavirus exit strategy In a very interesting long read, which sits intriguingly with this section from the Daily Telegraph:

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1251417319731052546?s=21

Seems like someone in Cabinet is either lying, out of the loop, or much less sold on Number 10's plans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there's a lot of room there for everyone to get together than say they're quite happy to stay at home with 80% salary doing nothing for the rest of time.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They are not staying at home though. You wouldn't think the lockdown was still in place. There are people everywhere - even more than normal. It's loving crazy. It's like reverse psychology, 'oh I think I only have an hour of exercise every day, I'm gonna actually stretch that to the limit'. I'm a key worker whose automotive factory was converted to making medical parts for 3M, and on the way back from work (I park five minutes away from home) the recs and parks were filled with groups of people lounging around, sitting on the grass, having a laugh etc. The square that my apartment overlooks are filled with people, and this is the one place that's supposed to be the easiest for the police to monitor and disperse if need be.

At the start of the lockdown it resembled the beginning of the movie 28 Days Later, now it's basically totally ignored and the police aren't doing anything. I see them drive around a lot but they don't enforce poo poo.

It's not coming up in general conversation yet - but people are ignoring the lockdown en masse, and it's going to explode a few weeks from now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They are not staying at home though. You wouldn't think the lockdown was still in place. There are people everywhere - even more than normal. It's loving crazy. I'm a key worker whose automotive factory was converted to making medical parts for 3M, and on the way back from work (I park five minutes away from home) the recs and parks were filled with groups of people lounging around, sitting on the grass, having a laugh etc. The square that my apartment overlooks are filled with people, and this is the one place that's supposed to be the easiest for the police to monitor and disperse if need be.

At the start of the lockdown it resembled the beginning of the movie 28 Days Later, now it's basically totally ignored and the police aren't doing anything. I see them drive around a lot but they don't enforce poo poo.

It's not coming up in general conversation yet - but people are ignoring the lockdown en masse, and it's going to explode a few weeks from now.

Are they keeping up distancing, though? That's the important bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the more reason to say you're happy to keep it going forever, don't work, get paid, spend all day at the park.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Darth Walrus posted:

Are they keeping up distancing, though? That's the important bit.

Nope. People walk past each other on the pavement same as they always do, without moving away from each other. Cyclists don't bother to keep their distance either. Dog walkers are stopping to chat to each other without thinking about social distancing etc. I'm not trying to be Scrooge here, I just think it's remarkable that people have basically stopped caring altogether. If you weren't told about the lockdown because you were living in a cave for example, you would not notice any difference.

This is in a fairly affluent town in the midlands for example

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Nope. People walk past each other on the pavement same as they always do, without moving away from each other. Cyclists don't bother to keep their distance either. Dog walkers are stopping to chat to each other without thinking about social distancing etc. I'm not trying to be Scrooge here, I just think it's remarkable that people have basically stopped caring altogether. If you weren't told about the lockdown because you were living in a cave for example, you would not notice any difference.

This is in a fairly affluent town in the midlands for example

Huh. As a counterpoint in my not-affluent town a bit further south, everyone crosses the street to avoid being close, or at least steps into the road. Social distancing is observed in shops and the streets are pretty empty. Hopefully your town is not representative!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
*removed*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're missing the inevitable "Somehow manage to slip and fall through the window getting out of the shower and impale your arse on a garden gnome" option.
Arse gnome problem averted.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
On every trip out of the house I've made I've barely seen anyone else out and about in Portsmouth, but distancing in shops is next to non-existent except limiting people getting in

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Seems like someone in Cabinet is either lying, out of the loop, or much less sold on Number 10's plans.

What the gently caress is it with the "we went with the science" bullshit. Are our scientific advisors really saying that it wasn't necessary to lockdown in order to stop the NHS being overwhelmed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can certainly believe that whatever tory with a degree the government employed would have said that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Buzzfeed has the goods on Number Ten's gradually emerging plans for its coronavirus exit strategy In a very interesting long read, which sits intriguingly with this section from the Daily Telegraph:

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1251417319731052546?s=21

No poo poo they didn't want it. Every action they've taken has been reactionary, they were content with the science of hundreds of thousands dying as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

What the gently caress is it with the "we went with the science" bullshit. Are our scientific advisors really saying that it wasn't necessary to lockdown in order to stop the NHS being overwhelmed?
They were going with the 'behavioral science' as conducted by scientists such as Triazolam Steakman.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

this is arguably the greatest photo ever taken

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Prince John posted:

They looked at the science saying half a mil would die, said yeah sure that seems fine and good as long as the Number is ok and then quickly after 'sorry sorry i'm trying to remove it' once people looked at their working and asked if they were kidding.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 18, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More saliently it doesn't actually matter whether what they say makes any sense unless someone wants to disagree with it and neither the press nor the opposition is presently interested in doing that.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

OwlFancier posted:

All the more reason to say you're happy to keep it going forever, don't work, get paid, spend all day at the park.

I can believe the public wants lockdown, because who the hell wants to go to the office? Surely something weird is going to happen when they formally end it but all the office workers refuse to start commuting again.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Every office I've ever worked in has been overflowing with bootlickers. They'll go straight back to their cubicles

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I can believe the public wants lockdown, because who the hell wants to go to the office? Surely something weird is going to happen when they formally end it but all the office workers refuse to start commuting again.

That assumes that most of 'the public' have jobs that let them work from home, or enough money to live off if they're unemployed.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don’t know if this is a common experience but I’ve realised I can never, ever go back to a full time job I don’t care about. I have a few other options I’d never really seriously explored but in light of all this and how unbelievably horrible working 40 hours a week doing something that doesn’t ignite any passion seems, it’s opened those doors in my head.

Anyone else feel like this? My mental health has improved so dramatically despite everything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do hope that this is going to cause some long term disruption to at least the idea of an office job where you have to go the the building and sit in it and work there for no real good reason (I have never worked in an office but I gather this is what they are like) and perhaps get more non essential work done from home. Fewer people commuting etc, reduced costs for people who would have to commute, maybe they can work fewer hours.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You wouldn't think the lockdown was still in place. There are people everywhere - even more than normal.

This is absolutely not true of the small area I can see from my house. The one sort of place I'd expect it to be true - and perfectly acceptable - is parks, woods, and similar, where people can now go for their daily walk. As households will be going out to those together I think an assessment of social distancing at those places will be off as well.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/18/families-expected-to-provide-palliative-care-during-coronavirus-pandemic-nhs

Families expected to provide palliative care during coronavirus crisis – NHS posted:

Families will be expected to provide end-of-life care to relatives dying at home during the crisis, according to NHS England guidelines that have raised safeguarding concerns among experts.

According to the new standard operating procedure for community health services, families will be asked if they can provide care that until now has been provided by GPs, community services and specialist palliative care teams.

“During the coronavirus pandemic, there will be more people dying of coronavirus at home who will also require care and support at the end of their lives,” says the guidelines.

“The anticipated increase in demand and stretch in workforce availability means that there will have to be a greater reliance on family members, unpaid carers and those who are with these patients, to help provide the care,” it adds. “They may have to administer medication more than they are used to.”

To help manage the health needs of people at the end of life, specialist palliative care advice usually available only to GPs will be made accessible to those caring for loved ones dying at home

Additional information to support family carers is being developed, the guidance says. In the meantime, it provide links to two documents, including a toolkit, which give step-by-step instructions to help those caring for someone dying at home.

The documents instruct family members how to insert and use cannulas to inject medication under the skin if the dying person is experiencing pain and other symptoms not controlled by their regular medication.

Strong pain medications such as opioids, often used to manage pain, will be issued to families. But concern has also been raised about relatives of vulnerable people having to administer high doses of drugs such as morphine without sufficient oversight.

There is also concern that enough checks will be made to ensure the opiates are not used by those other than the patient.

“The guidance talks about delivering palliative care remotely, but how is that possible?” said Caroline Abrahams of Age UK. “In a valiant and right attempt to protect NHS staff from contracting the virus, people are being left on their own when they need support.

“Where are the safeguarding measures to stop people being bumped off?” she asked. “Helping someone die well is a specialist skill set. Unfortunately, it feels is thought people have been left to get on with it when a reasonable expectation of our society is that we get skilled palliative care.”

“Covid-19 is more than an NHS issue – it will take a nationwide effort to get through this crisis and so far, we’ve seen a tremendous effort from our patient’s families and friends. Where families are not comfortable taking on elements of their loved one’s care, this will be respected.”

An NHS spokesperson said: “It is already common practice for people who are willing and able to help care for family members receiving end-of-life care, supported by expert clinicians and with the right training, and just as is already the case no one will be asked to do things they cannot, or do not wish to, do.”
bleak

in a just world this would be Boris' only legacy

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Office bosses are going to hate it though, because trapping you all in a building means your lunch breaks and social interactions are potential work. Talking with your spouse and kids isn’t problem-solving or team bonding! Grrr!

XMNN posted:

bleak

in a just world this would be Boris' only legacy

jesus that’s grim

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is why Starmer's "Where's the exit plan?" whinging is actually not a bad political move, by the way - I think everyone thinks that in a couple of weeks the magic wand will be waved and we'll all go back to what we were doing in March, but even the most suicidal attempt at reversing the lockdown is going to take weeks, with massive disruption all around. It's also a pretty good shout for business owners who kinda need to know what the rampup is going to look like - this is as close to a cold start of the economy as we've ever had to do before, and there has to be an absolute shitload of planning done to make sure that as businesses reopen they don't immediately have to close again because all their suppliers are still screaming at their suppliers who are screaming etc etc etc.

Yeah, I agree with this - even though we're still at least a month away from beginning to exit the lockdown, we already should have an exit plan including details on being able to identify when the stages would be implemented to facilitate planning by everyone else. That being said, at the same time he should also be hammering on how the government is failing the NHS and its workers.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

I need some advice goons, my company is imposing a 20% pay cut for 12 months and what will work out to be a two year pay freeze due to covid-19. We are all obviously not cool with this. We have a few union members but not enough for recognition but we had a very productive call with a union offical last night have are drafting a collective response as well as coordinating a push to increase union membership.

As I am on furlough my pay has been reduced already but I also don't have to work so I accepted that. My involvement in the current union activities consisted of sharing a link to a zoom call and repeating the message that people who want to join the collective response should join the union.

Overnight I was contacted by a colleague who is very upset with me for going to the union. Apparently during a department meeting the boss gave a very compelling reason why everyone should just take the pay cut, I was not allowed in the meeting due to being on furlough and he won't tell me because it is confidential. There were 100 people in the call last night and they were all told this reason and it didn't seem to change their minds. He has told me that he will be contacting our managers and HR on monday as he has decided I am 100% responsible for all the union activity happening, to "make sure it stops and I am fully informed of the facts".

How should I respond to this threat? I will obviously be contacting my union. Is it worth going to my head of department? I know I shouldn't go to HR. I have screenshots of the messages sent to me and as I am in furlough along with half the company if my furlough was to suddenly be cut short and noone else was, it would be pretty obvious why.

Sorry for the rambling post, this is obviously quite a stressful time, I am trying to use my free time to help my colleagues and it is weird to have such a strong negative response.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the person in question is gunning for promotion, hence the frantic bootlicking.

Are they mates with/related to someone higher up or something? Was the reason "if you dob your co workers in I will give you pay rise" perhaps?

Seems like you just encountered a natural born scab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Prince John posted:

Huh. As a counterpoint in my not-affluent town a bit further south, everyone crosses the street to avoid being close, or at least steps into the road. Social distancing is observed in shops and the streets are pretty empty. Hopefully your town is not representative!

Zedsdeadbaby's account sounds a lot like here in Cardiff - I walk in the road, but no one else does, joggers huff-and-puff as they pass far too close, cyclists still ride on the pavement etc.

The co-op I work at has had the screens fitted, but we have no other PPE - and the hand-sanatizer we've been issued with is watered down to the point it's not effective (although managment assure us it is).
Queues outside are observing the 2m rule, and we're only allowing a max of 10 ppl in - which still feels like too many as it's a small shop. Distancing inside is impossible and just doesn't happen.

I had a customer try to buy all the Polish Larger in the shop on Easter Sunday - and when I told him he couldn't the reply was "But I'm going to a party" - boomer in there 60s.
People are still coming in to buy a lottery ticket or scratchcard and nothing else.

The local homeless population (And we're near the main hostels etc for the city) and carrying on as normal, with no changes to distancing, socialising (they hang around in groups to get drunk/high).

My neighbours are not going out, but whenever I do (either to work or shop for myself) there are increasing numbers of people in the streets.