Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Carbon dioxide posted:

In that case you might want to check out Marcel Vos' channel. He goes deep, very deep, into all of the hidden stats and stuff of RCT2. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBlXovStrlQkVA2xJEROUNg/videos

Sounds nice, will do!

Edit: Aw heck, I done sniped.

Anyway, here's a quote of Roth's test post from the last page.

Roth posted:

Here's a sample of the first scenario. Since it is the first scenario, and the first appearance of a bunch of mechanics, it is a bit explanation heavy.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156414

My idea is to try to put in a scenario update at least once or twice a week, with fun updates on ride history and background in between.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ha, make it so that whenever you need a coaster you post the save and have people use it to make a custom coaster. Bonus points if you hqve stringent requirements for it too like "Must have an excitement rating of at least 4. Must include 2 Loops." Etc

LastLeigh
Jan 19, 2020

Just smart enough to get into trouble.

The Invasion of Ubriaco posted:

The landing would have been difficult in broad daylight, but before dawn in the middle of a storm it became almost impossible to execute it with any reasonable coordination. The Marshal had signaled from his flagship to withdraw to deeper waters, and fled with those ships capable of piloting out of the rocky bay. Prince Oranj made signals of his own: "Forward." His lackeys, mercenaries, and those unlucky enough to have a poor helmsman or captain, followed the glory whore to the beaches. Some ships made it; some ships scattered or broke on the rocks, ruining tons of supplies of food and ammunition and drowning hundreds of soldiers and sailors in the frigid water of Meander Bay. My heart had been hardened toward my fellow man years ago, cutting my bloody business with the band across the continent, and so the cries of drowning men did not move me. What shook me was watching the boat carrying Oranj's personal guard, cavalrymen collected from the best barbarians he could find the world over, roll upside down to capsize with hundreds of horses. I had never heard a horse drown before, and it made my hair stand on end.

Our boys were lucky enough to make it intact. Our ship ran aground in some stinking mudpit a dozen kilometers from where we should have been. We didn't stop to help the captain of that boat out, but simply offloaded what supplies we could carry, lashed our cannons and wagons to the few horses we had, and made as quick an exit from the beach as possible. We cut overland, until we found a road just as the light broke over the trees. Some young officer figured out the maps, and we turned north, at double pace. We didn't make it too far - twilight had just ended - when the sounds of battle could be heard ahead.

Hello! I'm LastLeigh, and I have entirely too much time on my hands, and I finally decided to do something fun with it. I've been a longtime lurker for the Something Awful LP forum, and I've wanted to run a participatory wargame with goons, while I GMed the opposing force. The idea has been bouncing around in my head for so long, I have no social life or people to play this esoteric and long rear end game with me, and my new employer doesn't demand I work 60 hour weeks, so I finally have some free time to have hobbies and exist like a human being. This is a project I'd like to start, so if you want to play a weird and very detailed wargame once used to train Prussian officer cadets in the early 1800s with me and a bunch of other random dudes on an internet forum, hop right in. FAQ just below!

What is Kriegspiel?
A wargame that tries to emulate warfare in the age of muskets, cannons, and (very) angry frenchmen. Pieces represent groups of men to (rough) scale on a detailed map, who will move, march, and act to the whims of madmen in fictional battle scenarios.

What is your role?
If you happen to own a copy of the rules like I do, I'll be the "Umpire" and the whole opposing side. In other words, a Game Master. I interpret your orders, physically move the pieces for you, roll special dice to simulate combat, and try to make this a fun and maybe brutally educational experience in 'Line Infantry Warfare' where soldiers move around in large blocks of hundreds of men and it's Really Hard To Be A Commander.

Do I need to know the rules?
In this context, NO. If you can think of an order, write it out cleanly and concisely, and it's reasonably possible in real life, I'll inform you via narrative description and imagery of the battle map what the results are. There are some basic bits of information and requests from me as the GM to make life easier on everyone, but those will be lower down in the FAQ.

Ok. I'm in. How do I participate?
Well, you can be a vocal observer, or you can volunteer to be a commander of some detachment in the present scenario, and I'll put your name in a spreadsheet and dole out the available roles. If you want to be a commander, but there's no room for you, don't fret too much. There's the possibility to sub in for someone who drops out, or alternately the next battle will probably have new roles to be filled out. One caveat if you want to be a commander, is that it requires a bit light roleplay -- that's half the fun for games like this.

Who makes the maps?
Me. With Affinity Photo, inspiration from legit battle maps, and way too much time. If I pull a map from another source, I'll credit them. I also approve of anyone who wants to make a map for the LP! Lessens my workload. If you notice something wonky on a map that doesn't quite add up, the weirdness will be interpreted as realistically as possible. The elevation... 'circles' on hills for instance, all had to be hand drawn so far by me because I couldn't find a good tool yet to help me out with that.

What do you mean by Fictional?
Real life history is messy to try and recreate, and could potentially open up some discussions I honestly don't want to get too deep into. Rather than worry about the morality of some historical nation executing prisoners, burning and pillaging, or otherwise being asshats, I decided to go with a fictional world of my own making. There may or may not be a world map...

What do you mean by Fantastical?
Fantastical indicates that sometimes I'm gonna have weird poo poo happen because of **magic**. Ya'll are invading an island that just kind of appeared one day, and all the major power players have a stake in trying to take it over. Weird poo poo will come up, mostly off the battlefield, but occasionally it'll pop into a battle ya'll will play through. No LARP nerds casting 'Fireball', though. Magic will be an annoyance or hazard, but nothing that will break armies outright. Otherwise, why the gently caress would anyone send an army of muskets when they could just send the grumpiest warlock they got? Magic is a strategic asset at best, not really a tactical one. Battles will be decided by ball and bayonet.

Who will we be playing as?
A mercenary group who picked up a contract with a spoiled princeling. Ya'll will get to name them before the first battle kicks off proper. There are going to be some RPG-style choices between battles.

What's the first scenario?
It will be the first post after this one! For now, Ooo and Ahh at my finger paint map shown below and take a gander at some basic info I think will be helpful:

The Basics
  • Maneuver
    Basic maneuvers are "Column" and "Line". Line is for combat, column is for marching more quickly at normal or double pace. Double pace is jogging. You can charge out of either, but there's a time and place for everything. Shorthand for staying in whatever formation you're currently in, but moving forward would be to "Advance".

Infantry, assuming good ground and in column, can move max 200 paces every 2 minutes. Terrain, slopes, and roads effect this. In action, infantry move up to 250 paces every 2 minutes... 400, if they break ranks. Going the max consistently is obviously going to tire your men out, and reduce their effectiveness and speed.

Heavy Cavalry, and horse artillery, can move max 300 paces over good ground every 2 minutes. In action, 600 when deploying, 800 when at a gallop for heavy cav. For the horse artillery, it depends on the size of the guns as they have to set up said guns and move around on foot for action. If you're just using horse artillery as cavalry (you madman), they act like Light Cavalry.

Light Cavalry, 400 paces on good ground over 2 minutes, 900 in action.

All wagons and trains move at 200 paces max per 2 minutes, and in action... Hahahahaha. Possible, but ill-advised. They slow to a crawl in action, to begin with.

• Shooting
    Infantry muskets and rifles can fire at up to 400 paces away. That's about 300 meters. At 400 paces, fire is pretty ineffective, and gradually improves the closer you are.
    Cavalry - follow the same rules as infantry for shooting, basically.

Cannons vary. Same as infantry, they become more a less effective/accurate the closer you are, BUT, they have "Good" and "Bad" effect. If you can see the enemy, and you aren't depressing the gun as far down as it'll go or as high up as it'll go to aim at the target, you'll have good effect. Also, catching the enemy in the flank or at march helps significantly. Canister shot used in close quarters is brutal. Final note, howitzers are better than cannons at longer ranges typically, and can hit less effectively things behind walls/defilade where cannons can't at all.

12 PDR can fire at max 2000 paces (about 1500 meters).
    6 PDR can fire at max 1800 paces (about 1350 meters).
    7 PDR Howitzer can fire at max 1800 (about 1350 meters).
    10 PDR Howitzer can fire at max 2000 paces (about 1500 meters).

• Fighting
    Essentially, I'll consider the following to determine odds: Relative formations and arms of the combatants, numerical strengths, and circumstances such as troop quality, terrain, etc.. Victors can attempt to pursue, with Cavalry being the best capable for obvious reasons of being effective in pursuits.

Cavalry that lose fall back in good order, cavalry that win take only half losses of the defeated.

Pretty much everyone else goes by the fate of the dice, with a different table used depending on the odds. You can either be victorious, or Repulsed, Defeated, or Totally Defeated in failure. Depending on the grade of defeat, it takes longer to reform into good order, and if you're still falling back while taking fire, you're bumped to the next worse failure result. (R>D>TD).

• Time in-game per update, and Order Delays
    This bears some discussion, because it effects the experience ya'll will have and the amount of work I have to do per update. For Delay, there are 3 choices, and 2 choices for updates:

Updates
    1.) I update each commander privately via email or PM of what their unit sees/hears, and I post a large update in the thread every 60 minutes of in-game time (15-30 turns). I would control communication between commanders. (This forces option C.)
    2.) I update everyone including commanders every 60 minutes of in-game time unless there's a unanimous vote from commanders to follow orders until certain conditions that they lay out are met. That way, if nothing is happening and no one wants to stop the clock within a 60 minute window, we skip over the boring stuff.

Delay
    A.) Orders delay is a flat rate of 1:2 minutes:words for units.
    B.) I simulate runners per the rules, and orders are issued at the start of every update if there are any new orders by commanders.
    C.) I simulate runners per the rules, and orders are issued by commanders as individuals when they receive updates.
    D.) There is no orders delay, the only delay is in actual execution of the orders.

• Orders
    Note any conditions that trigger something, and otherwise tell me what you want your troops to do. Keep in mind whatever Delay rule we chose, and also keep in mind you leave me to interpret your orders if there's something unexpected or you give vague orders. I would also (highly) recommend you include the info requested in the below format:

quote:

To:
    Order:
    Conditions:
    Comments:

• Unit Key, and Order of Battle

For knowing what a unit is, take a look at the image above - the only thing that may vary is the coloring during the course of this LP. This following image is how a modern U.S. Order of Battle (OOB) is composed in general. For the sake of ease, in our LP we will use this as the template even if it doesn't necessarily match IRL armies of the period in question - there were a lot of different organizational structures at the time.

Archive
Maps
Miller's Ford:

LastLeigh fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 9, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That sounds great and I want to be on the ground floor with that, Kriegspiel's always fascinated me and those maps are nice! But it would be nice to get a slightly more detailed primer on period terminology and troop types. Not necessarily a full effort post on them, just a quick glossary of terms and a picture of a generic army of the period, since not everyone's going to be too familiar with the forces of that time, as well as a map key for the unit counters.

The only other things you're really needing are a list of roles people can slot into, their associated responsibilities and that first scenario. I'd also suggest reserving a post to track the mercenary company's current condition (in spoiler tags) below an index linking to each update.

Hope it all turns out well and isn't too much a pain in the rear end to run!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, cool, it's not Hellwig's Kriegspiel.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's an early "free Kriegspiel", and a ton of minor rules are loose and written so that the umpire has to resolve things based on his experience. The umpire's word is final.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, cool, it's not Hellwig's Kriegspiel.

It's an early "free Kriegspiel", and a ton of minor rules are loose and written so that the umpire has to resolve things based on his experience. The umpire's word is final.

Yeah, 1824 Kriegspiel is pretty alright, but the umpire part might cause a salty goon or two to throw a fit and cause arguments. The fact that it's not goon v goon and cooperative instead will probably keep most of that at bay though.

LastLeigh
Jan 19, 2020

That sounds great and I want to be on the ground floor with that, Kriegspiel's always fascinated me and those maps are nice! But it would be nice to get a slightly more detailed primer on period terminology and troop types. Not necessarily a full effort post on them, just a quick glossary of terms and a picture of a generic army of the period, since not everyone's going to be too familiar with the forces of that time, as well as a map key for the unit counters.

The only other things you're really needing are a list of roles people can slot into, their associated responsibilities and that first scenario. I'd also suggest reserving a post to track the mercenary company's current condition (in spoiler tags) below an index linking to each update.

A glossary of terms, a key for the units, and maybe some basic maneuvers of the time (March in column, form to line, wheeling, assuming square?). A typical template of a division/corps/army would be useful like you said too. Reading it back for the 5th time myself, it may be prudent to explain command delays and how I'd calculate them... Basically, commanders have to send out runners with messages to deliver orders. Writing the order out + the time it takes the runner to deliver the message will be the delay in something being executed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LastLeigh posted:

it may be prudent to explain command delays and how I'd calculate them...

Ooh, if you're doing command delays, I'll throw this LP - Jutland by Grey Hunter - at you. Definitely much more of a pain in the rear end, but I don't think I've seen a participatory LP do command delay better within the thread. With the more roleplay angle you seem to be going for, that sounds like a great addition. Maybe, in the goon v goon style, have one thread for the command HQ and another for the field commanders? Though I might be misunderstanding the scale of command you're going for.

Also, if you've not seen it, Strike Command by Yooper is pretty much the gold standard for cooperative semi-fictional wargame threads at the moment. It's a very different game, and IMHO a bit too reliant on player's knowledge which does leave some folks in the dust and makes it a little dense to navigate, but it's still exceptional.

LastLeigh
Jan 19, 2020

Ooh, if you're doing command delays, I'll throw this LP - Jutland by Grey Hunter - at you. Definitely much more of a pain in the rear end, but I don't think I've seen a participatory LP do command delay better within the thread. With the more roleplay angle you seem to be going for, that sounds like a great addition. Maybe, in the goon v goon style, have one thread for the command HQ and another for the field commanders? Though I might be misunderstanding the scale of command you're going for.

Also, if you've not seen it, Strike Command by Yooper is pretty much the gold standard for cooperative semi-fictional wargame threads at the moment. It's a very different game, and IMHO a bit too reliant on player's knowledge which does leave some folks in the dust and makes it a little dense to navigate, but it's still exceptional.

I've edited the post with the recommendations you've made so far, Herpicle. Mind taking another look at it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LastLeigh posted:

I've edited the post with the recommendations you've made so far, Herpicle. Mind taking another look at it?

Looks brilliant! Only thing that I'm still missing is what the symbols mean on the last picture. Something like:

I'd also maybe chuck it at the Grog Games thread since this is right up their alley. They've also got folks there that are pretty good with maps, as well as running these kinds of threads.

LastLeigh
Jan 19, 2020

Looks brilliant! Only thing that I'm still missing is what the symbols mean on the last picture. Something like:

I'd also maybe chuck it at the Grog Games thread since this is right up their alley. They've also got folks there that are pretty good with maps, as well as running these kinds of threads.

That's actually exactly right. Totally stealing that image from ya rather than pull it from the PDF I have.

And thanks for pointing me toward the grognard thread, I'm definitely going to trot this out in front of them and see what they think.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

LastLeigh posted:

That's actually exactly right. Totally stealing that image from ya rather than pull it from the PDF I have.

And thanks for pointing me toward the grognard thread, I'm definitely going to trot this out in front of them and see what they think.

Dude from the grog thread here. A few things I found, keep things in manageable bites. People love to vote A, B, or C. Less people are into "write a paragraph explaining...". I've found it's good to have a lot of choices that make a difference and then let people who are interested in doing the long form orders do it, then others vote on it. People like some direction without being corralled. I've had times where I've gone freeform and the thread would stagnate until we got it back on path. Google sheets can be an immense help, I keep a public sheet for people to see things and a private sheet for organization. If it runs long you'll want a very organized form.

I've been in some Combat Mission LP's where they organize orders with a Google Sheet and it worked as well as could be expected with 20 goons.

Keep roles open and egalitarian. Then if someone leaves the LP you're not left finding a new Supreme Artillery Chancellor.

Topic headers that are visual help to breakup the wall of text. You don't necessarily need photos all the time, but I found judicious use of poo poo like this helps.

Great move on having a fictional place with fictional countries. It can be tough when people RP things that are real life based, especially when war is involved.

Keep the tedium separate from the excitement. People are going to go batshit crazy with excitement if they have to purchase the weapons. They'll be less crazy if they have to spreadsheet it all to find the optimal combination. Be aware that some folks will totally min-max your poo poo, at times doing things that you may not be aware of until they say, "Yes, but that rifle can do this...". (Looking at you Small Diameter Bomb II)

I host most of my poo poo on Lpix and it works great. My weapon of choice is ShareX for cutting clips and annotating. It really saves on time instead of opening Photoshop. The plus is it can link to Lpix without uploading.

But, beyond all else... :justpost:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yooper posted:

People love to vote A, B, or C. Less people are into "write a paragraph explaining...".

I will add to this by saying, some folks get really, really into the latter, but try not to be reliant on that.

Yooper posted:

Keep roles open and egalitarian. Then if someone leaves the LP you're not left finding a new Supreme Artillery Chancellor.

For that exact reason. Try to keep an A, B, C while leaving things generally open to start with, and play it by ear from there. See where you can/want to delegate responsibilities, try not to rely on it from the outset.

LastLeigh
Jan 19, 2020

Yooper posted:

Yooper says some cool poo poo.

Topic headers is a great idea, and not at all difficult to whip up.

And hm... I see what you mean regarding the commanding of stuff being egalitarian. I could definitely leverage the 'mercenary' aspect of it like you do in your Strike Commander LP to hand-wave planning being a bit different. In fact, the idea just occurred to me that the goons just represent the general and his staff... That may be much neater. After reading Herpicle's recommendation of your LP ,initially (which I didn't really look at before for... some reason. It's right up my alley), I started going in to look at how you've handled it so far. I've so far seen a couple of things that I'm going to adopt as a good practice.

Thank you for your advice, it's very useful!

I will add to this by saying, some folks get really, really into the latter, but try not to be reliant on that.

For that exact reason. Try to keep an A, B, C while leaving things generally open to start with, and play it by ear from there. See where you can/want to delegate responsibilities, try not to rely on it from the outset.

Agreed.

I'm going to do a bit more prep, alter the post, and then I'll :justpost:

May be tonight, actually. I'm on a roll creating stuff presently, so I'm just gonna ride that wave until it's time for me to conk out for the evening.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

When Everyone's Broken, No-one Will Be: Let's Break Advance Wars Dual Strike: Hard Campaign!

So hey, guess who got furloughed from their job during the global pandemic!... okay, yes, "very many people" is a valid guess. But I'm one of them and hey, may as well use that time to do something I've been wanting to do for many years but haven't found the time.

Coming out for the Nintendo DS in 2005, Advance Wars: Dual Strike (AWDS for short) was the third Advance Wars game and who-knows-how-many-th game in the Nintendo Wars series. Really I guess it should have been called DS Wars given that we're no longer on the Game Boy Advance at this point (and indeed in Japan it's called Famicom Wars DS) but something something brand recognition. The Wars series as a whole are turn-based strategy/tactics games set with modern armies (think WW2 onwards), but (until Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict) with a very cute coat of paint and a light-hearted tone that almost makes you forget the horrors of industrial warfare. After Advance Wars became a surprise killer app for the handheld in the West, and Advance Wars 2 gave us a conservative but nonetheless excellent sequel, how would the leap to Nintendo's then-newest machine fare?

Pretty well on the whole. Some bad stuff, lots of good stuff. AWDS might be my least favourite Advance Wars, but really that's praise by faint damnation: it's still a superb 9/10 game with a lot to recommend it. In an interesting way, one of those things was their attempts to balance the game and also encourage faster, more open play. See, I love AW2, it has my favourite campaign in the series by some distance... but I have to admit, the multiplayer meta is kind of stale, with a few broken COs pinning everyone else down and everything laser-focused on the infantry and artillery battle like it's World War 1 all over again. AWDS mixed that up in a few ways - but a lot of COs got big buffs going into this game, which opened up the meta in a somewhat bizarre way. There are now so many broken COs in so many different ways that the playing field got levelled dramatically (there's a reason why I'm channelling Syndrome from The Incredibles for the thread title), and if you need that extra edge there's always Tag Powers and Skills to play with...

What this all means though is that Hard Campaign got messed with pretty radically. See, technically Hard Campaign is harder than Normal Campaign, in that the enemy frequently has more units to play with. However, all restrictions on the player are lifted - you can use whatever combos of COs you like, with whatever skills you can equip, and in many ways that just lets you play around with all sorts of crazy stuff and for the most part just break the game over your knee. After AW1's hellish Advance Campaign and AW2's tough-but-fair Hard Campaign, AWDS' Hard Campaign is something of a rest cure.

Which brings me onto the format for this Let's Play. Unlike my LPs of the previous two games, I'm going to be ignoring the story completely. AWDS already has a nonsense story (even by the standards of its predecessors!), and Hard Campaign makes a complete mockery of it by letting you pick whatever COs you want without actually changing any of the words on screen. In fact, I'm just going to leave the COs in their alt costumes to highlight the absurdity of this situation, so look forward to (e.g.) dishevelled office worker Jugger.

If you do want the story, I recommend Alkydere, Artix and ZeeToo's excellent LP of AWDS Normal Campaign, whose story commentary also comes with a healthy dose of snark. This is instead going to be an exercise in playing the missions and seeing what deadly combos of COs and skills I can inflict on the unsuspecting AI. I'll also be doing my customary drawing arrows all over the screenshots, in an attempt to better illustrate what the heck is going on.

To demonstrate the range of crazy COs in this game, most of the time I'll be putting the COs we choose up to a vote, but on some of the harder missions I'll be vetoing and picking what I think will be good COs for the mission.

Unit notes
Mission 1: Jake's Trial (or "Nell's little sister... or Sturm's?") - with Hachi and Sensei, "Grizzled Vets".

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 12, 2020

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Post text is a rough draft, I'll either edit out the first minute or so of the video or put narration over it.
2020 Survival Simulator: Let's Play Pathologic 2

First thing's first: you do not need to know anything about the original Pathologic for this thread or to play Pathologic 2, in fact that puts you in the enviable position of going in blind. That's because Pathologic 2 is a remake/reimagining of the first Pathologic.
I think one of the most striking things about reading and writing about Pathlogic is that it becomes hard to believe it's a real game. I know when I first read about it in a thorough multi-part feature I wasn't sure the author wasn't just making up large parts of it until other people confirmed that those things actually do happen. Everything about it feels like it was made up for a creepypasta.
Pathologic is a Russian game that had its English release in 2006, to poor reviews and sales. The reviewers weren't wrong, either, because it had some glaring flaws. For starters the graphics looked dated by 2006 standards and it's just ugly besides that, everything is brown or rust colored. As a game it feels actively hostile, with a lot of ways to die and even if you can survive for a while it can be confusing and unclear what you're supposed to do. The worst part is that the localization was rushed and poorly done so it was often unclear what people were saying.
Some people who had the patience to look past these flaws pushed through and found that Pathologic was like no other game because of its bizarre style, fourth wall breaking, clashing agendas, and singularly strong atmosphere. A lot of those flaws- the ugly environment, brutal difficulty, and refusal to hold your hand- turned out to be important pieces to the unique experience, designed to make whoever plays it feel the kind of frustration and despair that someone who is really in this situation would.
Word spread and future Ice-Pick Lodge games found better success. There was a fan translation in the works for a while but I don't think it was ever released.
In 2014 Ice-Pick Lodge launched a successful kickstarter to remake Pathologic with better graphics, game mechanics, and a new script with a high quality localization. After a few years they announced that they would release an HD Remaster of Pathologic with a new translation, while development of the remake would be continued under the title Pathologic 2. Pathologic 2 was finished and released in 2019. Well, not exactly finished, but I'll go into that later, and we'll discuss the first Pathologic more later. Now let's talk about Pathlogic 2.

It's best to know as little about Pathlogic 2 as possible before you start, to just let it reveal itself to you. It's set in first person and begins with you returning to your hometown, and once you arrive the entire game takes place there. The town is never given a name, and even the time period of the setting is vague. The game largely consists of you walking all over town accomplishing various tasks. If it helps, when Pathologic came out a lot of people compared it to Oblivion. It has the same kind of open structure, and there's even some combat and thieving, but Pathologic 2 doesn't have RPG elements and you play a fixed character. What it does have is a story that reacts to what you do and don't do. It's magic in the same way that Deus Ex was, but this goes well beyond that. It's clear early on that the game reacts to what you do, but it's often in vague ways. It makes me feel paranoid, wondering how my actions will play out.
Failure is inevitable, and that's even a theme of the game. It wants to keep you in that space where you're always on the brink of defeat.

This will be a video LP. This is a very text heavy game but that is the format I want to work with. This is likely to just be a single playthrough of the game rather than an exhaustive look at it, but I might consider showing more if people express interest and I have time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsa8vvVyYfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hfy274Fzq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YtuD6JToeQ

PS
The biggest issue I'm trying to fix is my loud keyboard sounds. After the first video I silence the parts of the commentary track where I'm not speaking and I'll do that to the first video as well.

drygear fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 17, 2020

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

drygear posted:

The biggest issue I'm trying to fix is my loud keyboard sounds. After the first video I silence the parts of the commentary track where I'm not speaking and I'll do that to the first video as well.

I haven't actually watched any of your videos but from what I've read in your op and knew about the game beforehand it would benefit much more from post commentary than live commentary. And this sentence strongly implies that it's live.

Of course it depends on what kind of LP you want to make and what you're willing to do. It's an extra pass of work (or multiple depending on how much of a perfectionist you are) but it's worth it if you want your LP to be more than just reactionary and about the experience of playing the game. In my experience, it's worth it to make the switch to post commentary (ask me about my Dark Souls LP from before I joined SA.)

I'll be honest, the last time I did a "normal" LP is now almost exactly two years in the past. They are more passion projects for me than just a hobby. But every time I start a new Let's Play I first consider what the LP will be about and what's the best way to accomplish that. As I tend to do more informative LPs post commentary is usually the immediate answer as it's much easier to be concise and clear that way, especially to a non-native speaker such as myself. Part of it is also personal preference, of course.

Now, I'm not saying you SHOULD remake your videos with post-commentary. But I'm saying I would do it (and have in the past). And maybe you should consider it. Especially if you're already struggling with your own keyboard sounds.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
The other thing I'd suggest is quiet keyboards/mice are pretty cheap. I'm never going back to a normal one. Greatly reduces the noise.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I know post-commentary is considered superior around here. Last year I did a whole LP of Thief 2 that way. I wanted to try it like this though and I think it works better for me for this game.
I do add a bit of extra commentary here and there, I might consider re-recording some lines if there's a lot of noise around them.
Before buying a different keyboard I'd consider playing on a controller. Part of the problem is I use a condenser microphone that I place right above my keyboard, I'm going to try borrowing a clip-on mic and at least then my voice might be louder than the keys and I'll have more options to tweak it

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Just do what makes you feel the most comfortable and do what works for you. If commenting on the fly makes you feel more comfortable for you then do it. Does it really matter if it's popular or not? Do it the way you want to do it, you can't predict whether it's going to attain popularity. Some of the most amazing LP's produced on this site have come out of nowhere.

What matters most is that you're doing something you want to do, in a way that you enjoy and you're sharing it with other people. Does it really matter how popular it is? Do it because you want to do it and in a way that makes you happy!

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Thanks. That's basically my philosophy. I don't think I have the skills to make something with a lot of polish or great presentation, so I'd rather try to develop a style that plays to my strengths. At the same time I want to respect my audience, so I always appreciate suggestions and am willing to try or at least consider other approaches.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, uh, I found a game. A bad game. Somebody spent a lot of time and effort making functional, playable, decent gameplay, Fallout: Equestria game. I need some brave souls to co-comment.

If you're still serious about this, I'm game.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like MLP but hate Fallout Equestria so I wouldn't mind

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Again I beg the question, how does a cartoon about talking magical horses meant to teach 4 year old girls not be assholes to one another end up spawning a straight faced grimdark Fallout mod?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Again I beg the question, how does a cartoon about talking magical horses meant to teach 4 year old girls not be assholes to one another end up spawning a straight faced grimdark Fallout mod?

Fandoms in general really love writing dumb crossoversl fanfiction, and MLP had the added hilarity of "I isekai'd Rorshach into Equestria and he befriends Applejack" so crossovers in general got insanely popular.

Fallout Equestria was just "We made a post apocalyptic MLP with borrowed ideas from Fallout" and was just early enough in the fanbase to be huge throughout the entire show.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Solitair posted:

If you're still serious about this, I'm game.

Roth posted:

I like MLP but hate Fallout Equestria so I wouldn't mind

Cool, my discord is Mycroft Holmes#1618

contact me and we'll set up a time to record

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sent a request.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

I have hypotheses, but I'm saving them for the LP.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's the normal course of bigger fandoms. After they shipped everyone they want everyone to gently caress, and after they've done that they slowly work themselves to an apocalpyse.

Keep in mind that fans called themselves "Bronies" and "Pegasis" or still do. I don't know

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

It's the normal course of bigger fandoms. After they shipped everyone they want everyone to gently caress, and after they've done that they slowly work themselves to an apocalpyse.

Keep in mind that fans called themselves "Bronies" and "Pegasis" or still do. I don't know

I think "brony" has fallen out of usage (especially since the show ended), but I don't think "pegasister" every got off the ground.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Technowolf posted:

I think "brony" has fallen out of usage (especially since the show ended), but I don't think "pegasister" every got off the ground.

I know a person who called herself that. As I understand it she's deeply ashamed of that.

It didn't take off that much, yeah, but you still had people, adults, make the conscious decision of calling themselves that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You should get that one romhacker who bought an account when someone made an LP of it. You all know the one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To me it's like how there's people who play video games and then there's "gamers"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There's an actually rather good Hearts of Iron 4 mod that turns it into My Little Pony. I wish I was making this up. I actually enjoy it more than the Fallout mod.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's an actually rather good Hearts of Iron 4 mod that turns it into My Little Pony. I wish I was making this up. I actually enjoy it more than the Fallout mod.

It's of high enough quality that the goon HOI4 devs who hang around the thread in Games said that they took notes from it when they played it as a joke.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leal posted:

You should get that one romhacker who bought an account when someone made an LP of it. You all know the one.

I know exactly the one you're talking about and I think LP's collective memory would be better off without that particular revelation.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Cthulhu-Powered Lightbulbs: Let's Play Lobotomy Corporation!

Hello everyone. I'm TeeQueue, and this is my first Let's Play. Let's get to it.

Lobotomy Corporation is an indie strategy horror game produced by South Korean developers Project Moon, and was released to Steam on April 9, 2018. The player is the administrator of an underground power company that harvests energy from strange beings known as "abnormalities" (think SCPs and you've got it), and is tasked with overseeing this process. It's an interesting and unique game with a lot of really cool worldbuilding. Unfortunately its English translation was...

Fast forward two years, and Project Moon's working diligently on their second game. They went with a new translation group for the sequel, and as a side project they decided to also retranslate the entire first game. They recently opened up their retranslation patch for testing, and that is the version of the game that we'll be playing through. As this is a work-in-progress patch things might change a bit before the final release, but I'll try and keep everything as up-to-date as possible.

The game does have other issues-primarily a memory leak that can cause some computers to be unable to play certain days or events-but all in all it's a very good game, and I'm excited to see it with a better translation job.

A lot of Lobotomy Corporation's appeal comes from having to deal with completely unknown threats that may instantly ruin your facility's day, so if you're interested in giving it a try yourself I strongly recommend playing through at least some of the game blind before reading this thread. For the interested, the new translators have a document with instructions on installing the patch right over here.

Spoiler Policy
No spoilers, even in spoiler tags. This game has a few twists and turns that are best experienced blind, and I'd like to keep the abnormalities a secret until we get them. That said,

Blanket Content Warning
As this is a horror game, there is a fair amount of unsettling content. The gameplay itself is cartoony enough to not be a problem, but there IS a fair amount of gore, suicide, body horror, drug abuse, and other such things that might unsettle some viewers.

So what's the plan?
I'm going to be splitting things between story updates and gameplay updates. This game gets very :words:, and this is the best way to show everything it has to offer without risking hitting the post limit once we get to a few of the lengthier days.

I'll be playing through the game in a single loop to get all of the story content, then after we've beaten the game I'll go back and hit anything else we've missed. Also: for the sake of the LP I will be using mods.

Mods?
Yep! I'll tell you about them as they come up, but for now the only one we're going to be using is a mod that allows me to customize my agents' appearance for free. That way, you guys can submit employees to send to their horrible deaths at the hands of the abnormalities!

Dying horribly? Sounds great! Where do I sign up?
Right over here, friend. If you want to submit multiple employees, that's a-ok too. I'll do my best to make sure that anyone who wants an agent can have one.

Table of Contents

Main
Day 1-Story

Bonus
-Mechanical explanations and other things go here

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Godspeed you crazy, crazy person.

I'm not sure a screenshot LP is good at demonstrating the sheer chaos of the game, especially things like (gameplay mechanics spoiler) that one boss that disables your ability to pause, but the testpost seems fine.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

my dad posted:

Godspeed you crazy, crazy person.

I'm not sure a screenshot LP is good at demonstrating the sheer chaos of the game, especially things like (gameplay mechanics spoiler) that one boss that disables your ability to pause, but the testpost seems fine.

Because I'm recording things as a video and grabbing screenshots from it afterwards I was considering just including the video in full of things like exactly what you described there, to include alongside the post. I think I'll do that, since you're right-it doesn't get across how insane things go by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What exactly is necessary to run a team vs. team LP? Just make two team threads, a main/observer one, and expect goons to self-organize?
There's no hidden information in the game, so it's kinda like chess.