Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting from the other this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yes, definitely 100% about the exact dollar amount people spend, and not about people mindlessly buying a thing that they saw that one time and it was sort of okay, and then churning it every few years for something that they saw again that was sort of fine I guess but its on sale so maybe its okay and I'm already at Costco, so

PRADA SLUT posted:

thread in a nutshell:

post: "hey guys I spent weeks searching and I found this cute vintage chair that used to be part of an old barn!"

thread: "wow so cute / classic / original / kitschy / pinterestable / etc"

post2: "hey guys I spent weeks searching and I found this cute classic chair from that started a design movement that modern designers still draw from"

thread: "omg why you think you're better than everyone consumerist pig"

Never change goons

There have to be better ways of dealing with your rich person guilt than this.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Name and shame the reporters, in my opinion. Cowards, the lot.

They're not wrong, just this thread is the wrong hill to die on.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Bloop posted:

Crossposting from the other this thread

Toilet present, looks fine to me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

prada what is the most expensive piece of furniture you own

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

actionjackson posted:

prada what is the most expensive piece of furniture you own

I'm married to a sapient credenza I found on the side of the road and nursed back to health.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

suddenly my back hurts

https://twitter.com/waydamin/status/1250585499162427393

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "monochromatic"

The problem with this house (besides the awful kitchen layout) is that there is a lack of careful toning. Grey in a very large room also looks way to neutral and has no warmth to it, so it's not interesting enough to stand out and makes the area look dull.

Like, I deliberately went for monochromatic use of grey in my master bathroom, but you have to understand toning + purpose of the room very well. Sorry the images dont really do the below bathroom justice (because the floor tiles below have an acidic shininess but dont reflect well in a camera lens).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don't care for minimalism myself but Prada Slut is extremely knowledgeable about interior design and often makes very interesting and informative posts. The way he gets treated in this thread is ridiculous.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't care for minimalism myself but Prada Slut is extremely knowledgeable about interior design and often makes very interesting and informative posts. The way he gets treated in this thread is ridiculous.

Prada contributes a lot but also deserves to get hosed with now and then, and I think he'd agree. It's all in good fun.

Now excuse me while I make dinner for my credenza.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

He is knowledgeable and he absolutely deserves what he gets and he gives as good or worse than he gets so like the kind mod said let's not spend more time dying on this hill.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Lord Bude posted:

He's good at both famous designer names and how to decorate if you want to live inside an iPhone package.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It’s a pity my realtor wasn’t a goon or I could have just told her “I want an interior that would make Prada Slut cry” instead of “no flips or open floor plans or anything with grey ‘wood’ laminate”

Like could you imagine being that afraid of having color on your walls?

corgski fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 17, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

do you mean cry with sad tears or happy tears

I'd live with pradaslut and like it but we'd have to compromise over fridge magnets

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Pradaslut does have an awesome sink, that I really liked.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
One time I turned into a Herman Miller chair, and Prada Slut helped me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Sometimes you just find someone you mesh with.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

peanut posted:

do you mean cry with sad tears or happy tears

Sad tears, I like Queen Anne Victorians and Arts & Crafts both of which involve lots of colors that are not grey and an amount of ornamentation as part of their design.

I also like prairie and mcm and other schools of architecture which do feature more neutral colors than the first two but they still use colors goddamnit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sometimes you just find someone you mesh with.

I tend to aeron the side of caution about things like this

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I tend to aeron the side of caution about things like this

Perhaps you keep a neutra face but I think there’s womb for Eero

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i'm a gross gremlin who wants all the Memphis and archizoon associati furniture and all those Venturi-Brown chairs they did for knoll

like totally gently caress the place up, shame memphis is back out of style and cliche again

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

ntan1 posted:

The problem with this house (besides the awful kitchen layout) is that there is a lack of careful toning. Grey in a very large room also looks way to neutral and has no warmth to it, so it's not interesting enough to stand out and makes the area look dull.

Like, I deliberately went for monochromatic use of grey in my master bathroom, but you have to understand toning + purpose of the room very well. Sorry the images dont really do the below bathroom justice (because the floor tiles below have an acidic shininess but dont reflect well in a camera lens).

Why do you have brown towels of two different shades in your grey bathroom, smh

(yes I see the pebbles are brown)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ntan1 posted:

There's a good chance that gray is so bad because the HDR is cranked up so much it's washed out any contrast between the walls and the white. Like I know my eyes would be able to differentiate between the window trim and the walls much more than they do in that photo.

Prada is a great poster for both bad and good reasons, and I'd give him less poo poo if he didn't have a following of wide-eyed groupies so impressed with a concrete cube that they immediately jump to defend and make excuses for when he's being a classist snob.

And now an apartment I think Prada and I can both agree is garbage

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

I'm generally going backwards when I back into mine.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

falz posted:

Why do you have brown towels of two different shades in your grey bathroom, smh

(yes I see the pebbles are brown)

No that's because i'm waiting for the rest of the remodel to finish before actually shopping and matching things like towels.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ntan1 posted:

That's really nice, the blue towel holder is cool as is the tub faucet. I wanted to do a walk-in shower but it would cost 8-10K+ lol

I do think you should have some other color in there though, like a few plants

i'm guessing you are a computer toucher because that poo poo does NOT look cheap

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 17, 2020

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

gently caress your MINIMALISTISM. You know what is an eternally classic design? Dinosaurs. Reptiles. Been around since, like, the middle evil ages or whatever. Jesus Christ rode around on one of these. The Prophet Mohammad [pbuh] probably had a few of these as carriage pullers too.

REPTILES. Reptiles. REP! TILES. Literal Reptile Tiles.

From M C Escher's famous print of geometric Reptiles.

source: http://evolulignum.blogspot.com/2011/02/diseno-geometrico-inspiracion-escher.html
This company is in Madrid, Spain, so shipping outside may be expensive or impossible. Still, I love this floor. Reptiles, man!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Holy poo poo that's amazing

I'm a huge MC Escher fan, even been to his museum

I had someone custom make this frame for me. It's about 8' long

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

actionjackson posted:

i'm guessing you are a computer toucher because that poo poo does NOT look cheap

Yes, but it's less than you think. The tile priced around $7/sqft for material.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ntan1 posted:

Yes, but it's less than you think. The tile priced around $7/sqft for material.

that's not bad, I just mean it's a nice tub and walk-in showers are not cheap.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bathroom paint round 2. This picture actually shows the colors pretty accurately, unlike the current paint where it appears more purple than it really is.

Anyway the lightest one is this

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6241

It ended up definitely being brighter on my wall, too bright for me.

The one that looks aquamarine is this one

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/1670/labrador-blue?color=1670

So yeah a lot of green on my wall for whatever reason.

Here's the one in the middle which is what I'm going to use

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6242-bracing-blue

The bracing blue was on the same color strip as aleutian.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone have thoughts on how that labrador blue could look so green on the wall? I'm assuming it's at least one of the following:

amount of direct light
wattage of light
warmth of light
color of surrounding fixtures

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I actually like the color originally on the wall the best.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The two main reasons are going to be (1) lighting conditions (so warmth of your bulbs + amount of sunlight and hue of your sunlight) and (2) preparations for painting. So for the testing, did you re-primer before paint before you put the test patches?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

actionjackson posted:

Anyone have thoughts on how that labrador blue could look so green on the wall? I'm assuming it's at least one of the following:

amount of direct light
wattage of light
warmth of light
color of surrounding fixtures

combo of light + perception by color originally on the wall surrounding it, not so much the fixtures. and probs lack of primer like ^^^^

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ntan1 posted:

The two main reasons are going to be (1) lighting conditions (so warmth of your bulbs + amount of sunlight and hue of your sunlight) and (2) preparations for painting. So for the testing, did you re-primer before paint before you put the test patches?

no because the paint said it had primer included, was that wrong?

Also there is basically no sunlight in that room, the bulbs are four 60w LEDs but they have that frosted poo poo on front so they are VERY soft.

ntan1 posted:

I actually like the color originally on the wall the best.

unfortunately it ended up having some purple in it, and I hate purple. It looks more like how this one looks on a computer screen

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us...33%2Fblue-pearl

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 18, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "gothic"
fun fact: all Gothic revival houses are required to have terrible wall-to-wall carpeting upstairs

this Gothic cottage has its original kitchen cabinets!

Look at the scale of this great hall and hearth, just massive

I declare this to be a Very Good House 10/10

but this is the true undisputed Best House

BONUS: this only ended up in the search because of the name of the road it's on but it is the most Goth in the 1980s sense of the word. I am obliged to show you its two carpeted bathrooms please enjoy happy friday

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

btw this is what those three paints looked like in the little cans. you can definitely see some green in the labrador blue one (right end). It's Behr marquee paint+primer in eggshell

I'm going to talk to some professional painters Monday and I'll see what they say.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Gothic is absolutely my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Mcmansion Hell has a new post about 1970's timecapsul of a mcmansion that's pretty great. But more importantly in it she links to a Collector's Weekly article about mid-century style, specifically the colonial revival inspired by westerns and the bicentennial that dominated tastes in that period far more than MCM.

If you want to understand why this room exists, and why it reminds you of your grandmother, read it.