Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Junpei posted:

The reason Firaxis added the timers in the first place was to counteract the boring optimal strategy of XCOM 1 of slowly moving forward, using Overwatch every turn.

I don't think it worked well, but I can see what they were going for.

The stealth system also counteracts that strategy by letting you know what's safe and what's not when you move. Stealth and the timer are pulling the gameplay in opposite directions, and a part of why I feel X-COM 2 doesn't quite have a cohesive identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Robert Deadford posted:

I'm a little uncomfortable at exactly how naked you made my character.

:thunk:

Robert Deadford posted:

This LP is a welcome sight!

Sign me up!

Name: Bob Deadford
Appearance: As much bare skin as possible
Class: Ranger, emphasis on the whole swords thing

Voting for Reapers as they're just broken good from the start.

Seems to me like I've given you excellent customer service, friend :)

You're missed in the SL, btw

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

FairGame posted:

Seems to me like I've given you excellent customer service, friend :)

You're missed in the SL, btw

It reminds me of the time I was in a beisl in Vienna, failed to understand the menu and asked the waitress what a menu item was. She said it was beef and I ordered it. It was indeed beef. Boiled calf's tongue, pink and glistening and bristling with taste buds.

Then, as now, yes, excellent customer service, exactly what I ordered. I don't normally play dress-up with my soldiers so I'm simultaneously delighted and horrified at just how bare you can make a man and the glistening budgie smugglers you dressed me in are the cherry on top :discourse:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Everyone just awkwardly trying to not to look at Deadford on the Skyranger.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Question about latest video: Did the Templar hit that sectoid for 3 damage, but then it didn't take off any health? That shotgun shot should have killed it on top of that

This game is awesome. Can't wait to see how you deal with the chosen.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

not lame! posted:

Question about latest video: Did the Templar hit that sectoid for 3 damage, but then it didn't take off any health? That shotgun shot should have killed it on top of that
Rewind the video: the sectoid had 10 HP.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Slightly related question - XCom:Chimera Squad is half off until May 1st on Steam ($10 instead of $20). Is the gameplay traditional XCom, or is this some other genre in the XCom universe? Trying to avoid spoilers.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Everyone should be thinking of alternate nicknames for you character

"Sir not appearing in this film" :p

I kid I kid.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Chuu posted:

Slightly related question - XCom:Chimera Squad is half off until May 1st on Steam ($10 instead of $20). Is the gameplay traditional XCom, or is this some other genre in the XCom universe? Trying to avoid spoilers.

From what I've seen and heard, it's the same engine and same squad based tactics. A more linear story and character based take on XCOM, with a set squad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chuu posted:

The core bits of squad-based tactics seems like it's the same, but the units have been modified to be a lot more different and potentially distinct. There's less to do in the strategic layer though. There's no base management afaict and it's more focused on the individual soldiers/squad. It's basically a pared down version that might've been originally planned as a larger full game but instead refactored as a smaller one via cutting out stuff from a larger game.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Rewind the video: the sectoid had 10 HP.

Of course, keep forgetting this is legendary.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat I was thinking you'd dehumanize yourself and face to rookies

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bob Deadford's lack of confining armor makes him swift and deadly, and the sight of his rock-hard abs demoralizes the opposition.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

megane posted:

Bob Deadford's lack of confining armor makes him swift and deadly, and the sight of his rock-hard abs demoralizes the opposition.
After an Advent crackdown declared his Red Hot Chilli Peppers covers band illegal, it was only natural that Deadford was quick to seek out XCOM and fight back.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

megane posted:

If this was on PC you could have modded it to: Lets Play XCOM2: Bob Deadford's Going Commando.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
At some point you're going to have to let Megane rest

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bob Deadford does not get cold. Cold gets Bob Deadford!

Ok, that sounded a lot better in my head.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

megane posted:

"The media is powerful and you could use images of our soldiers' rock-hard abs to bolster the resistance."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I also still suggest to megane that they suggest "Cyber Goku as their character's nickname. Alternatively, Cyber "megane" Goku

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Servetus posted:

At some point you're going to have to let Megane rest

She can rest when she’s dead.

Or when deploying her into so many missions without rest results in developing so many neuroses that it’d take a full month to fix.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

FairGame posted:

She can rest when she’s dead.

Or when deploying her into so many missions without rest results in developing so many neuroses that it’d take a full month to fix.

A full month is 21 days. So that's two neuroses. Hope no one gets a neuroses to seeing almost naked people, or aliens, or guns.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I would like to think that the 21-day month is a result of an agreement between the Advent and XCOM unions mandating a 5-day, 40-hour hour average working week. And the reason we don't get extra healing over the weekends is because everyone's gone on a massive bender

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Deadford? More like Deadeyeford jfc

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Fan-Fuckin-Tastic mission there. I'd be careful on your next couple of outings tho because with all of the amazing rolls you pulled off there re: crits and stunlancers I think it's pretty likely you're in for a real rough turn of luck soon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Are we sure Deadford isn't actually Brock Sampson in disguise?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, that first mission with tier 2 shotguns always feels good. Still excellent play though.

I think you're almost lucky you got this mission as early as you did, it can be a real mother bastard if the reinforcement waves include advent mechs, officers and stun lancers.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 19, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm not one to pooh-pooh you but you really misused achmed here, this could have gone way worse.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Xelkelvos posted:

Are we sure Deadford isn't actually Brock Sampson in disguise?

Shhhhhhh man, he's trying to keep a low profile.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I can't help but have the name Robert "Deadford" Redford come up in my head.

How do the photos kill the performance so much?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

I'm not one to pooh-pooh you but you really misused achmed here, this could have gone way worse.

Yeah. This is a terrible level for a sharpshooter, but even then you kept them way too far back to do anything useful.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Munin posted:

How do the photos kill the performance so much?
If anything, I feel like Deadford needs a curly moustache because that accent just makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhVWdoq448&t=22s
And is there any chance I could get a pair of sweet sunglasses? Because apparently I can't see or hit poo poo (yet, hopefully this will change with a bit of EXP and a nice scope). Lightning hands is rad as hell though.

XCOM seems to have... interesting... coding, I guess the photobooth works in a similar way to how having even a single Lost on the map seems to melt your GPU.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It is more that the PS4 simply can't handle XCOM2 at all. It was far worse in the vanilla days, before they optimized the game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The more I play, the more I realize I don’t know how to use a sharpshooter. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Also my strategic game has suffered.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Munin posted:

Funny you should mention that. My old avatar could be helpful. EDIT: I can't remember how to find old avatars :(

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Deadford? More like Deadeyeford jfc

Tactical Underpants, man. Tactical Underpants.

FairGame posted:

The more I play, the more I realize I don’t know how to use a sharpshooter. Self fulfilling prophecy.

The sewer levels definitely aren't helpful for Sniper-style antics and this early in the game pistols aren't very good. Firaxis may have wanted an end to the "sniper in enfilade/up high" tactics of XCOM1 and the faster pace of play (mission timers) acts against such tactics too. Lightning Hands is a great skill, though.

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 19, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey now, don't be so hard on yourself, that map was awful for blocked lines of sight and ridiculously long range sectoid psi-fuckery. I guess during the ambush you could have had me in half-cover on top of the scientist's room, but that's kind of cruisin' for a bruisin' in itself.

Knowing even less about XCOM2 than the previous game, what could (in hindsight obviously) have been done better with a sharpshooter here? My gut instinct is that if they can't see enough then have them sprint/double-move to where they can, else hunker down - but that last room seemed tailored to make it easy for those assholes to stay in full cover from any angles I could get from that train car.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I think I might be falling for Deadford. That voice pack is the perfect fit.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Note: there's no fighting in this video. It's all base layer.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Nice, I finally make my appearance. Did you by any chance see the PM I sent last week? No worries if it's too late now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Natch, one day away from being ready to be blown up again.

I have to admit I am curious to see how your strategic layer stuff pans out. Not played WotC so don't know what a good/optimal play is but curious to see what I can learn from this playthrough. Whether through your pain or success. :D

Did you get a free Reaper there or is that just for the first faction you encounter? Also, what happens if the Chosen bar maxes out?