Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A wizard chaos sorcerer did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

Emperors legion question

How could the Black Legion travel through the warp with the shard of Cadia in the first place to deliver it to Volense or whatever it’s called

In the Fall of Cadia book, the pillars didn't nullify the warp until they were activated by Trazyn. I'm not sure what 'activation' entails.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Guyver posted:

A wizard chaos sorcerer did it.

It's warpcraft. I ain't gotta explain poo poo.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ego-bot posted:

In the Fall of Cadia book, the pillars didn't nullify the warp until they were activated by Trazyn. I'm not sure what 'activation' entails.
Also in Dark Imperium Cawl is sending Guiliman his own hand-made but weaker pylons and there's no mention of difficulty transporting it through the warp.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chaos being scared about gullyman makes sense tho

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Also in Dark Imperium Cawl is sending Guiliman his own hand-made but weaker pylons and there's no mention of difficulty transporting it through the warp.

Don't the Geller fields keep the pylons surrounded by a bubble of normal space?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Schadenboner posted:

It's warpcraft. I ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Plot magic at its finest

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just learned Geller fields are created by half dead psykers bolted to the bottom of void ships

Jesus Christ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

euphronius posted:

I just learned Geller fields are created by half dead psykers bolted to the bottom of void ships

Jesus Christ

Oh cool. Similar enough to the Secure Contain Protect wiki explanation of how Scranton Reality Anchors work to prevent anomalous changes to baseline reality.

Powered by the bodies of dead reality benders.

e;
That time again.

https://twitter.com/2ndHandBookery/status/1251533446087917568?s=20

I am Alpharius. (Deliverance Lost)

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 19, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Argel Tal, Leader of the Gal Vorbak. (First Heretic)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm the Dragon Reborn? Man, the magic business got tough recently! (Knife of Dreams)

If we're talking the last 40k book, then I'm the captain of the Lord Solar Macharius busy fighting the Gothic War. (Shadow Point)

Unfortunately, I'm also doomed to fight the Gothic War forever because the idiots at BL never commissioned the third and final book in the series that would have covered the end of the war!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

jng2058 posted:

I'm the Dragon Reborn? Man, the magic business got tough recently! (Knife of Dreams)

If we're talking the last 40k book, then I'm the captain of the Lord Solar Macharius busy fighting the Gothic War. (Shadow Point)

Unfortunately, I'm also doomed to fight the Gothic War forever because the idiots at BL never commissioned the third and final book in the series that would have covered the end of the war!

Pretty sure Mat was the main character of that book, though. Should have been the MC of the entire series.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Preechr posted:

Pretty sure Mat was the main character of that book, though. Should have been the MC of the entire series.

Honestly it's a pretty even split between Mat, Perrin (and Faile), and Elayne, with just enough Rand and Egwene so you know more or less what they're on about. Still, Rand is clearly the MC of the series, so gets primacy of place when it's hard to decide between other characters. Otherwise its "I'm a moody lucky gambling blacksmith pregnant heir to the throne leading armies into battle with surprising skill."

Which, admittedly, would be an interesting character to read about.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

That time again.

Oh god please let the main character of the Vaults of Terra books be Crowl and not the crushing depression of living on Terra, never leaving your hab block, breathing recycled air and eating lovely prepackaged food.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Oh god please let the main character of the Vaults of Terra books be Crowl and not the crushing depression of living on Terra, never leaving your hab block, breathing recycled air and eating lovely prepackaged food.

Sounds very much like coronavirus confinement in Europe.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

MariusLecter posted:

I am Alpharius. (Deliverance Lost)

I last read Legion. You're Alpharius, he's Alpharius, I'm Apharius. Are there any other Alpharius' I need to know about??

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Marin Karin posted:

I last read Legion. You're Alpharius, he's Alpharius, I'm Apharius. Are there any other Alpharius' I need to know about??

Yeah, pretty sure there's an Alpharius on first.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
My son is also Alpharius.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I'm Alpharius and so is my wife.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, pretty sure there's an Alpharius on first.

Who's on second?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The only thing I still actively hate about Legion was it missed the opportunity for a final Hydra-fuckery twist.

When the Cabal approached the Legion to tell them about Horus, and the threat of Chaos, when they finally gathered, it should have been Alpharius appearing (finally in person) to say "Oh, we know. We've *always* known." *Hail of bolter fire* It would have been a perfect final kicker and confirmed the Legion is actually irredeemable, just the whole point is they don't let anyone outside the Legion know. Instead we got the wishy-washy 'are they/aren't they' which is so much less satisfactory from a narrative perspective.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Seems dumb actually.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

e;
That time again.

Either Crowl or Spinoza. Not sure if Revus counts as a main character in Hollow Mountain despite the surprising amount of POV pages he gets.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Ego-bot posted:

Could also be the pylons only work when they're on Terra Firma?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Angry Lobster posted:

Sounds very much like everyday England.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

what are the best books to get a Necron fix?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Shockeh posted:

The only thing I still actively hate about Legion was it missed the opportunity for a final Hydra-fuckery twist.

When the Cabal approached the Legion to tell them about Horus, and the threat of Chaos, when they finally gathered, it should have been Alpharius appearing (finally in person) to say "Oh, we know. We've *always* known." *Hail of bolter fire* It would have been a perfect final kicker and confirmed the Legion is actually irredeemable, just the whole point is they don't let anyone outside the Legion know. Instead we got the wishy-washy 'are they/aren't they' which is so much less satisfactory from a narrative perspective.

Ambiguity surrounding things like the Alpha Legion, the two lost legions, the Emperor, and Chaos are one of the things I like most about the lore.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

To be honest my preferred head canon is the Alpha Leon started out as part of some grand scheme to ensure the final victory of Imperium and humanity that was so incredibly convoluted, relied on so many, 'just as planned' moments and was so compartmentalised that it's now fallen apart, none of them really have a plan any more and it's just plots within plots, within plots with about 10% of the legion still thinking they're fighting for Terra and the rest either being traitors from the start or having given up due to warp time making they've spent almost 8k years trying to keep track of this poo poo.

just as Tzneetch planned.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

notaspy posted:

I'm interested in this too. They're always silent terminators in the books I've read with them but the game fluff makes them sound pretty fun.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

notaspy posted:

Severed by Nate Crowley is a good Necron novella, there's a good chance they'll get him to write more Necron stuff in the future, I think.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I had never realized it, but Calixis actually got a name-drop in Ravenor Rogue. Neat!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Guyver posted:

I'm interested in this too. They're always silent terminators in the books I've read with them but the game fluff makes them sound pretty fun.

Fabius Bile: Clonelord (or maybe the Primogenitor? I forget which) has a Necron character in it that's a lot of fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MrNemo posted:

To be honest my preferred head canon is the Alpha Leon started out as part of some grand scheme to ensure the final victory of Imperium and humanity that was so incredibly convoluted, relied on so many, 'just as planned' moments and was so compartmentalised that it's now fallen apart, none of them really have a plan any more and it's just plots within plots, within plots with about 10% of the legion still thinking they're fighting for Terra and the rest either being traitors from the start or having given up due to warp time making they've spent almost 8k years trying to keep track of this poo poo.

I also like the headcanon of they're genuinely just making poo poo up on the spot and leveraging that reputation in order to keep their options open. Their plan is having no plan at all.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I've always wondered what their 40k mentality is like. "No, no, I'm only ironically possessed by a daemon" is how it feels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Severed by Nate Crowley is a good Necron novella, there's a good chance they'll get him to write more Necron stuff in the future, I think.
I haven't even read it, but knowing what he's like in twitter it's high on my list of books to track down if society resumes ever.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MrNemo posted:

Sounds like one of Big E's plans.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arquinsiel posted:

I haven't even read it, but knowing what he's like in twitter it's high on my list of books to track down if society resumes ever.

If you've got an e-reader, it's £2.99 for a digital copy.

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/novels/severed-ebook-2019.html

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Jesus Christ

What? Weren't Geller fields invented during the Dark Age of Technology? I'm pretty sure there weren't enough psykers around back then to pull this stunt with every ship.

Do you have a source?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Libluini posted:

What? Weren't Geller fields invented during the Dark Age of Technology? I'm pretty sure there weren't enough psykers around back then to pull this stunt with every ship.

Do you have a source?

The war hammer fandom wiki talks about it but it doesn’t jive with my understanding of the fallen legions.

They are stuck in the eye and have a hard enough time finding even basic slaves to run their ships let alone a top up of psykers. They have to raid constantly just to keep their guns firing.

I never read any stories that talk about the big vault of psykers they have to swap out every once in a while to keep travelling through the warp.

I’ve only heard the field generators described as complex technology that the imperium doesn’t even fully understand anymore and keeps it running with spit and prayers literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
There's exactly 1 passage that involves the "refueling" of a warp drive/gellar field, and I can't remember where it's from.

I do remember that it was one of the most baroque and hardcore scenes I've ever read in a Black Library book. It involved a huge procession of mechanicus menials and a few super-reinforced adepts, all were melting as they carried a casket from a special vault towards the warp drive. A set of specifically engineered servitors manage to fit the socket right at the moment of their own death, leaving a trail of bodies and waste behind them.

I want to say it's either part of the Lords of Mars series, or one of the John French books.