Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly I don't think the plot is even the problem with KH's writing. It's the stilted rear end dialogue and moment to moment writing that brings it down for me. I'm not sure if it's Disney lawyers breathing down their necks, it's just got Square's shittiest writers or if it's a localisation issue; or some combo of the three but it just feels so trite and joyless.

Also the gameplay is way too floaty or something.

Sora, Donald Goofy! repeat endlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Utgardaloki posted:

oof, i'm just getting through Shinra HQ and it's amazing how fast this game went from fantastic to giving me buyer's remorse. i'm straight up tuning out the dialogue half the time.

I mean, diff'rent strokes, but the hyperbole inherent to internet culture is pretty funny to me. Like, I bought Left Alive because I'm a die-hard fan of Front Mission 3. THAT game is a game to have buyer's remorse about.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly I don't think the plot is even the problem with KH's writing. It's the stilted rear end dialogue and moment to moment writing that brings it down for me. I'm not sure if it's Disney lawyers breathing down their necks, it's just got Square's shittiest writers or if it's a localisation issue; or some combo of the three but it just feels so trite and joyless.

This is 100% the reason why I found KH3 to be well below even mediocre. It isn't fun - the gameplay isn't fun, the craziness isn't fun, the ridiculous plot isn't fun. I'd hesitate to call it by the numbers because of how bugfuck insane the frankly ludicrously awful plotting is, but the game seems to hold me in contempt for wanting to engage with it. "You like action RPGs? Attractions pop up every six seconds and play the game for you. You liked Disney and Final Fantasy crossover concepts? There isn't a single Final Fantasy character in this game. You liked the franchise, more or less, up to this point? gently caress you, here's sixty hours of exposition dumps that even in context sound like extremely poorly edited fanfiction, and not the Enoby Dark'ness good kind!"

KH3 is bereft of anything to enjoy about it. There's just nothing there to like, I feel like.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 18, 2020

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

guts and bolts posted:

I mean, diff'rent strokes, but the hyperbole inherent to internet culture is pretty funny to me. Like, I bought Left Alive because I'm a die-hard fan of Front Mission 3. THAT game is a game to have buyer's remorse about.

Left Alive is worse than the Ff7 remake, yes. i'm not being hyperbolic though, even discounting the mistake that is the new story beats, the original Shinra HQ is an excellently paced set piece that really highlights the best of it's villains and the central conflict. the third act I'm playing through today is a mess in comparison.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Utgardaloki posted:

Left Alive is worse than the Ff7 remake, yes. i'm not being hyperbolic though, even discounting the mistake that is the new story beats, the original Shinra HQ is an excellently paced set piece that really highlights the best of it's villains and the central conflict. the third act I'm playing through today is a mess in comparison.

Agree to disagree I guess. It just reminds me of like "WEDGE LIVED? RATED 0" metacritic reviews

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

guts and bolts posted:

This is 100% the reason why I found KH3 to be well below even mediocre. It isn't fun - the gameplay isn't fun, the craziness isn't fun, the ridiculous plot isn't fun. I'd hesitate to call it by the numbers because of how bugfuck insane the frankly ludicrously awful plotting is, but the game seems to hold me in contempt for wanting to engage with it. "You like action RPGs? Attractions pop up every six seconds and play the game for you. You liked Disney and Final Fantasy crossover concepts? There isn't a single Final Fantasy character in this game. You liked the franchise, more or less, up to this point? gently caress you, here's sixty hours of exposition dumps that even in context sound like extremely poorly edited fanfiction, and not the Enoby Dark'ness good kind!"

KH3 is bereft of anything to enjoy about it. There's just nothing there to like, I feel like.

I tremendously disagree with your take on KH3 beyond the fact attractions are bad. The series had never massively been Disney x Final Fantasy, both had always basically been segregated into their own little corners outside of very few moments. But I'm totally on board for Nomura's Crazy train so I would dig the plot. That said.

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's Disney lawyers. I've talked about it in the KH thread but Disney is absolutely horrid micro managers of everything KH is. It's telling that KH2 is written by Nojima, same person writing this game, and directed by Nomura, same person directing this game, but the dialog is far more stilted and controlled and not natural. Granted KH3 was by Masaru Oka who's only worked on KH as a writer, but the issue is clearly not there.

Long story cut short, Disney gets final say on the movements of characters in cutscenes, they have executive say (and used it) over the way Remy moved his tail. Square even noted that Disney forbid them from using Summons, hence why the Links were 'elemental avatars of Simba and Aerial and stuff' and not the characters directly. FFVIIRE took time because Square was meticulously pouring over every detail to make it the best experience they could. KH takes so long because Disney is pouring over every detail to ensure it's as corporate-approved as possible.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

guts and bolts posted:

Yeah. Honestly, it's probably for the best that Nomura has other poo poo to work on now, I feel like half the reason it got bad was just, needing to have a billion games over 17 years.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

Agree to disagree I guess. It just reminds me of like "WEDGE LIVED? RATED 0" metacritic reviews

Did Wedge live? It was a little confusing...more importantly did the kitties make it???

The Ghost of Ember
Mar 21, 2009
The amount of work of done on giving cats such high quality models made me think "Oh, they're going to make Cait Sith look like a real cat" and then his model showed up and I was like "buh?"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Flopsy posted:

Did Wedge live? It was a little confusing...more importantly did the kitties make it???

Due to time loop and Lifestream shenanigans, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are also Biggums, Reggie, and Smalls.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Ghost of Ember posted:

The amount of work of done on giving cats such high quality models made me think "Oh, they're going to make Cait Sith look like a real cat" and then his model showed up and I was like "buh?"

My dude he was a cartoonish robot kitty in the original as well.

HD DAD posted:

Due to time loop and Lifestream shenanigans, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are also Biggums, Reggie, and Smalls.

This tells me NOTHING about what happened to the kitties!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Wedge only survived the plate dropping directly on his head via powerful Catomancy, and the Whispers knew they could not foil such feline might until the brave fool left their protection.

Flopsy posted:

One of the new twists of the timeline is that Reeve is actually a robotic drone controlled by Cait Sith.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The Ghost of Ember posted:

cait sith showing up during the plate collapse is one of the funniest moments in the game

i'm sure it's completely baffling to people that never played the original

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cait's cameo is Square admitting that yeah he doesn't fit the game at all but whatever, he's cute and also he rides a moogle.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cnidaria posted:

cait sith showing up during the plate collapse is one of the funniest moments in the game

i'm sure it's completely baffling to people that never played the original

I mean if they’re baffled by that after Hell House and Honeybee, then this isn’t the game for them

The Ghost of Ember
Mar 21, 2009

Flopsy posted:

True, but it looked like those cat models got more design time, care, and dedication of processor resources than a fair amount the quest giver models, and the cats showed up for fifteen minutes of screen time if I'm being generous?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Caidin posted:

One of the new twists of the timeline is that Reeve is actually a robotic drone controlled by Cait Sith.

Oh God I wish.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Calaveron posted:

I mean if they’re baffled by that after Hell House and Honeybee, then this isn’t the game for them

at least those have some context

cait sith showing up during a massive tragedy for 2 seconds with no explanation is extremely funny

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

It's Disney lawyers. I've talked about it in the KH thread but Disney is absolutely horrid micro managers of everything KH is. It's telling that KH2 is written by Nojima, same person writing this game, and directed by Nomura, same person directing this game, but the dialog is far more stilted and controlled and not natural. Granted KH3 was by Masaru Oka who's only worked on KH as a writer, but the issue is clearly not there.

Long story cut short, Disney gets final say on the movements of characters in cutscenes, they have executive say (and used it) over the way Remy moved his tail. Square even noted that Disney forbid them from using Summons, hence why the Links were 'elemental avatars of Simba and Aerial and stuff' and not the characters directly. FFVIIRE took time because Square was meticulously pouring over every detail to make it the best experience they could. KH takes so long because Disney is pouring over every detail to ensure it's as corporate-approved as possible.

Jesus :eyepop:

That explains a lot

Utgardaloki posted:

There's a lot I didn't like about Shinra HQ but most of it was confined to Chapter 17 (the Drum specifically). That said I think the whole escape sequence from the Rufus fight onward is loving great.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 18, 2020

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just beat the simulator Superboss and holy poo poo the reward is so sick. Feels good that you actually get something cool from doing the hardest thing in the game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Cait's cameo is Square admitting that yeah he doesn't fit the game at all but whatever, he's cute and also he rides a moogle.

I mean he made sense as thing you would find in Gold Saucer, like my assumption was Reeve just hacked a park mascot somehow to use as an intermediary and spy because he has the least pull among the executives outside maybe Palmer so he has to make due with things like that, somehow he had more then one on hand but whatever. Now it's just kinda plain Reeve's had him for probably years and since we're expanding on things in general I think its time to elaborate on this subject.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

Jesus :eyepop:

That explains a lot

There's a lot I didn't like about Shinra HQ but most of it was confined to Chapter 17 (the Drum specifically). That said I think the whole escape sequence from the Rufus fight onward is loving great.

To be fair Rufus is positively dripping with charisma this time around.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Flopsy posted:

"Think you got my number?"
"Not at all. You're making me sweat."

goddamn Rufus has powerful energy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rufus absolutely loves it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I never really questioned the fight in the original, but is there any explanation for why Rufus is a badass who can go toe-to-toe with a SOLDIER?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Clarste posted:

I never really questioned the fight in the original, but is there any explanation for why Rufus is a badass who can go toe-to-toe with a SOLDIER?

In anime your ability to fight is directly influenced by your panache and swerve levels.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Rufus was always the best villain in FF7 honestly

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well he works best as a distance fighter. So long as he's far away and can either stun you or keep you distracted while he reloads he's untouchable. Get close and personal and stagger him? He takes boatloads of damage. Sort of like he's had a lot of practice at the gun range but once a dude with SOLDIER strength is wailing on him he crumples like normal human being. Wouldn't be surprised if he trains with his turks on the sly.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 18, 2020

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Advent Children had a lot of hit and miss stuff about it, but I love Rufus's explanation for how he survived passed off because Cloud didn't want to hear about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Yeah that went a long way. That fight was extremely cool and I hope one of the changes in the remake going forward is an expanded role for Rufus and his dog.

JBP posted:

In anime your ability to fight is directly influenced by your panache and swerve levels.

:hmmyes:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No joke, the things I’m looking forward to most in future parts are Rufus, Heidegger, and Scarlet’s antics.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

No joke, the things I’m looking forward to most in future parts are Rufus, Heidegger, and Scarlet’s antics.

Seeing as they've done a brilliant job on all the characters so far I'm looking forward to further expanding on their roles and personalities. I kinda wanna make a bet Scarlet and Heidegger are in a sub/dom relationship.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Harrow posted:

Outside of the Drum I love the entire Shinra HQ part of the game, it felt like an absolutely exceptional climax to the experience that was positively soaked in atmosphere, gorgeous graphics, and incredible music. My main issue was that they didn't sell us on the sheer spookiness of Sephiroth/Jenova the way the original did - getting out of the cells and following the trail of blood through the empty building, finding the President straight up dead with a massive sword through him, the general sense of "Oh my gently caress, we thought we were here to gently caress up Shinra but something way more dangerous and creepy is around", remains iconic; I do wish we'd had something which parallels that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Outside of the Drum I love the entire Shinra HQ part of the game, it felt like an absolutely exceptional climax to the experience that was positively soaked in atmosphere, gorgeous graphics, and incredible music. My main issue was that they didn't sell us on the sheer spookiness of Sephiroth/Jenova the way the original did - getting out of the cells and following the trail of blood through the empty building, finding the President straight up dead with a massive sword through him, the general sense of "Oh my gently caress, we thought we were here to gently caress up Shinra but something way more dangerous and creepy is around", remains iconic; I do wish we'd had something which parallels that.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think they really got the build-up to Jenova/Sephiroth creepiness nearly as effectively in the remake, though that could be because the Whispers (and a lot of Sephiroth stuff) were already around doing creepy stuff long beforehand so there wasn't much to reveal beyond Jenova herself. The Drum was just tedious and I really didn't enjoy it, but I did like the rest of it, including some of the new moments they added, like the Shinra grunt recognizing Cloud from having trained together.

And the escape sequence owned. Basically everything from Rufus showing up to Motorball exploding was fantastic, and the "Avalanche!" "Local florist!" "Lab rat dog!" "Up your rear end!" exchange was incredible.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I think they were wrong in thinking there was no point building suspense about his reveal since we all know who he is now. We all know who Aerith is too, but when she was introduced it was still a big deal. I'm not totally opposed to Sephiroth being sprinkled throughout the game in short visions, since yeah we all know he's a big part of this series, but the way he was handled at Shinra HQ could have been better imo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

HD DAD posted:

I want the slap fight on the Junon Cannon to play out like a boss battle from Yakuza.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I agree. I don't think they really got the build-up to Jenova/Sephiroth creepiness nearly as effectively in the remake, though that could be because the Whispers (and a lot of Sephiroth stuff) were already around doing creepy stuff long beforehand so there wasn't much to reveal beyond Jenova herself. The Drum was just tedious and I really didn't enjoy it, but I did like the rest of it, including some of the new moments they added, like the Shinra grunt recognizing Cloud from having trained together.

And the escape sequence owned. Basically everything from Rufus showing up to Motorball exploding was fantastic, and the "Avalanche!" "Local florist!" "Lab rat dog!" "Up your rear end!" exchange was incredible.

Cloud taking cues from Roche to kick a lot of Shinra asses with a motorbike was also just :discourse: distilled to a form as pure as Huge Materia

Also one of the most intense fights I had in the entire game was in the parking garage, don't know if it was intended or I just made some missteps that cost me but it was a massive brawl that lasted minutes and had me desperately trying to find an advantage that would keep us alive

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think it would have done okay and matched the increased general competency of the party in the Remake if their cover was blown in the Shinra building and they had to just blow though security one floor at a time until suddenly reinforcements slacken off after they blow through the lab and then stop completely, cue ominous music.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Cloud taking cues from Roche to kick a lot of Shinra asses with a motorbike was also just :discourse: distilled to a form as pure as Huge Materia

I couldn't help but think of how proud Roche would've been if he had seen that. I think he would've shed a tear.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm sure he was watching outside and was going to join until he saw what Cloud was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Seeing as they've done a brilliant job on all the characters so far I'm looking forward to further expanding on their roles and personalities. I kinda wanna make a bet Scarlet and Heidegger are in a sub/dom relationship.

See, this is why I’m 100% ok with plot changes. All the new plot, spooky ghosts aside, was all fun and interesting. The time ghosts preventing cool and interesting so the characters stayed on plot was annoying as gently caress. The way they handled the main story aside from ghosts was fantastic, and they nailed every character in the game.

For the next part, I’m hoping they drop most of the timeline poo poo, and expand on a world where Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are still kicking, and Zack never died, yet Cloud ended up the same person. If the timeline stuff remains, then I hope it shows why the Whispers were even created in the first place (and I wouldn’t be surprised by an Aerith betrayal).