Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

drat, someone else saw that movie? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The statements of "It's just a 2-3% fatality rate" always just. blow my mind.

In our overcrowded schools (just as an easily-digested example) that's already one kid per three classrooms. An entire section of a 10000-seat stadium.

Where the gently caress did we go so wrong.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Zamujasa posted:

In our overcrowded schools (just as an easily-digested example) that's already one kid per three classrooms. An entire section of a 10000-seat stadium.

I think it comes from two different things:

1. We are desensitized to death as a society.
2. I don't think people understand how many people 2-3% of the population is. If they used a "real" number, 6-9 million people, it might be different.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Icon Of Sin posted:

drat, someone else saw that movie? :stare:
That makes _at least_ three of us.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

Money. Temporarily distressed millionaires. You must become rich to shove it in the face of your neighbor. NUMBER GO UP!

Anyways,

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1251235222756175873

"resupply effort"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
COD, coronavirus onboard delivery

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

:perfect:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

2. I don't think people understand how many people 2-3% of the population is. If they used a "real" number, 6-9 million people, it might be different.

Or if they used a "real" number like 2-3% decline in the DJIA.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ASAPI posted:

The general defense is that they meant a 2-3% increase in total mortality, not 2-3% of schoolchildren dead. So still 700-1000 extra deaths these ghouls are calling for, with plenty of room to go up.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1250986608842674177?s=20

Always twirling, twirling, twirling towards greatness!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's way cooler than the idiots gathering in crowds on the bridge in front of some London hospital to Clap for Carers.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh there's a rudder alright. It's stuck hard to starboard

hard starboard eh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfC2lidXiMY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Downtown Denver residents have been shrieking out of their windows every evening "in support" and making life hell for the medical personnel on night shifts lmao

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s hard to port :v:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

poo poo in Iran is so nuts that they are using disinfectant trucks instead of tanks and makeshift hospital beds on trucks instead of surface-to-air missiles for their military parades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltG3zYZmXnQ

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Would a job with the national institute for Occupational Safety be a poor choice? I have a feeling like they'd already be cut to the bone.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Fallom posted:

Downtown Denver residents have been shrieking out of their windows every evening "in support" and making life hell for the medical personnel on night shifts lmao

people in my neighborhood were howling every night at 8 and I was howling with laughter when my roomie told me it was to support healthcare workers

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People in Vancouver are doing it every 7PM and people have graduated from yelling and hitting pots and pans to using airhorns and setting off firecrackers. The closest hospital to me is over 3km away and behind a hill.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

golden bubble posted:

poo poo in Iran is so nuts that they are using disinfectant trucks instead of tanks and makeshift hospital beds on trucks instead of surface-to-air missiles for their military parades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltG3zYZmXnQ

Wouldn't be an Iranian parade without the Death to Israel/United States float.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1251264181397053444?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:toot:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

nazi scum follow your leader

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Uh. Ya I think I'm done reading news for a while.

quote:

As Hannity, arguably Trump's top supporter on cable television, discussed how to end the shutdown and get Americans back to work, Oz offered up an idea.
Reopening schools across the country might be "an appetizing opportunity."

He cited an article in a medical journal which said it "may only cost us two to three percent in terms of total mortality."

"We need our mojo back," Oz told Hannity, contending that reopening schools "with the theoretical risk on the backside" might "be a trade-off some folks would consider."

quote:

Dr. Phil

McGraw is not a medical doctor; he holds a doctorate in clinical psychology, but is not licensed to practice.

On Thursday night he appeared on Laura Ingraham's Fox News show where he appeared to criticize the shutdown.

"The economy is crashing around us and they're doing that because people are dying because of coronavirus," McGraw said. "I get that, but look, the fact of the matter is we have people dying -- 45,000 people a year die from automobile accidents, 480,000 from cigarettes, 360,000 from swimming pools -- but we don't shut the country for that."
"But yet," he added, "We're doing it for this and the fallout is going to last for years because people's lives are being destroyed."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/media/doctors-oz-phil-drew-fox-news/index.html

Hack doctors and fox news are a great combo to ruin your day

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
And people wanted Oprah to run for President when she gave all these pieces of poo poo a platform to begin with.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

And people wanted Oprah to run for President when she gave all these pieces of poo poo a platform to begin with.

Which people?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Oz, Phil, and a bunch of others. She's a more destructive Paltrow.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Some of the video from the protests in MN is golden.

https://www.facebook.com/unicornriot.ninja/videos/224572625440031

I like the "Trump for MN governor" sign.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s hard to port :v:

:lol:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah gently caress tugboats who needs em

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

US Berder Patrol posted:

:chiefsay:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The only reason Oprah isn't president is because she doesn't want to be. I'd make a joke about how terrible that would be but honestly she'd be a step up from our current options

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

the internet was a mistake.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Zamujasa posted:

Deja vu.

The problem is Twitter. The problem is that people don't read the articles, and we especially don't read the peer reviewed math-heavy loving boring ones. And the problem is that the primary method of discussing complicated socio-economic ideas is by owning each other in quick snippets posted online and then taking them back to our socia media echo chambers to all smugly agree about how dumb or soft or evil those other guys are.

And we're all doing it, myself included.

That paper refers to a set of models for which the entire act of closing schools as reducing mortality across the UK 2-3%. So firstly, reopening schools, based on those models would be a value less than that, since that model assumed no action was taken. Second, the models have flipped so much I'm not super confident that those predictions are incredibly accurate. And third, the article the oft-quoted charlatan (Dr. Oz) is referring to:

a. compares a number of socioeconomic factors and outcomes resulting from this that we don't have good data on, including reduced access to support structures that are often used to deliver necessary medical aid to children (i.e. vaccinations, mental health counseling), public screening for abuse (no teacher to ask where kids got those marks or why suddenly they don't want to talk in class), access to nutritional resources (school lunches) and access to specialized training for neuroatypical children, disabled children, and children with mental health conditions.

b. cites how long term school closings in other situations have resulted in increases in child sexual assault, child labor, and students not returning to school afterwards.

c. goes on to explain some of the advantages the closings will have on long term resilience and self-sufficiency for coming generations.

and d. advocates that we include the outcomes and opinions of young people in our appraisal of the situation.

I have no idea if Dr. Oz's point is appropriately nuanced. I suspect it isn't, but when a medium that tries to shovel ideas into the mouths of hungry consumers fast and quick (cable news), gets regurgitated and redistributed in a manner to reduce that nuance even further, I expect we're losing at least something of the picture. There is an important point to consider that at some point, the accrued risk from a lack of vaccinations, hampered education especially among the economically disenfranchised, reduced health outcomes that will spark comorbidity in future health crises, and the abuse of children may outweigh the risk avoided by continuing to keep schools closed.

My intuition is that we're not there yet and we should not open schools yet. But eventually, not only may there be an outcome, but there will be if you close schools indefinitely. And while nobody (correction: few) argue to abolish public schools, we're not exactly clear on what an end state looks like. People on this subforum especially know what happens when nations get in giant resource-intensive engagements that result in human suffering and cost both treasure and lives without without defined objectives or exit strategies. If we don't include in our models these other costs, we may hurt or kill more people but feel good about it because we were doing something, instead of doing research.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Holy poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Current Event: Some whiny little poo poo opened a "close GiP and TFR" thread in QCS, and an admin responded by changing the names of the forums and declaring this matter resolved.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Best Friends posted:

The only reason Oprah isn't president is because she doesn't want to be. I'd make a joke about how terrible that would be but honestly she'd be a step up from our current options

Her policy of "everybody gets a car" would be great for the auto industry but would the positive impact of getting unsafe gas guzzlers off the roads outweigh the negative impact of millions of old, abandoned cars, increased congestion and decrease in usage of public transport? :thunk:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Current Event: Some whiny little poo poo opened a "close GiP and TFR" thread in QCS, and an admin responded by changing the names of the forums and declaring this matter resolved.

I'm proud to report that this was actually my idea lol

Probably the best idea I'm going to have in 2020.

Wasted on Something Awful.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They had a point, we don't poo poo post enough to keep up with other forums so we really need to up our game.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

speak for yourself, nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M_Gargantua posted:

They had a point, we don't poo poo post enough to keep up with other forums so we really need to up our game.

Your rap sheet is embarrassing, bro. PM me for lessons.