Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

of course, NYC has population density like nowhere else in the USA, so I guess maybe it won't get like it is there anywhere else?

Probably not as fast as them, but if R0 is higher than 1 anywhere it will eventually grow to the same quantity of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Idk dude it's possible to crochet tighter than that but it would probably be a lot less breathable

Like here's a Cthulhu I made:

(I am a knitter not a crocheter)

Like I said, sewing cotton fabric would be preferable (and is in fact what I'm currently rocking for a DIY facemask)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

oxsnard posted:

Ah i saw it on a YouTube video recently. Is it any good?

Pages back but Darkest Dungeon is loving great and I often hear quotes from the narrator unbidden in my head while reading the news.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

squirrelzipper posted:

Pages back but Darkest Dungeon is loving great and I often hear quotes from the narrator unbidden in my head while reading the news.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-south-carolina-deaths-cases-funeral-a9471541.html

quote:

Six people die from coronavirus after attending same funeral in South Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMNELG6AdRg

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NotNut posted:

anyone else have ringing ears tonight?

you've called my attention to it, but I assume I always have ringing ears. Maybe it is because my days have been a lot quieter lately?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Probably not as fast as them, but if R0 is higher than 1 anywhere it will eventually grow to the same quantity of people.

Kinda wondering why it hasn't exploded here in mississippi yet, where we have done basically nothing and are about to reopen everything. There's like 1000 cases and 112 deaths or something total, which seems really low considering we're right next to new orleans

NYC has triple the population of the state of mississippi but it's all in one little area. Even 1/3rd the deaths that NYC has had in MS would be horrific

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i'm still trying to figure this out. i'm on ssi because i have ptsd, and i haven't heard poo poo. i'm going to buckle down and make a phonecall to the SSA on monday or tuesday and see.

if you don't find out by then i'll make sure to mention how it goes itt

If you are relying on the SSA to send out the payments, good luck, they are far less competent than the IRS.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

NotNut posted:

anyone else have ringing ears tonight?

I have a fan going pretty much 24/7 bc I need whitenoise but one time I was in the bathroom that was completely quiet and my ears started ringing and pulsing louder than I've ever noticed before and I felt like I was gonna die

:thumbsup:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

seattle plague rat posted:

nobodys laughin start a zoom class and make $$$

knowing how to knit is worth more than knitting at this point and everyone is already video conferencing everything

we all want apocalypse skills

e: fall classes are gonna be booming

I'll have to give that some thought

Heads up tho it's probably going to be like Gordon Ramsay teaches you how to knit

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

shovelbum posted:

the first thing you learn at sea is that things never HAVE to stop, the weather never HAS to get any better, the machinery never HAS to stop breaking down in time for everyone to breathe a sigh of relief and get a few hours of sleep, you have to work constantly to stay prepared for the worst that you can't control and on top of the worst things you CAN control and that it's a constant effort

and a society just can't have priorities that line up with this AT ALL under our brand of capitalism, to the point that most landsmen assume that things have to get better after a few news cycles

You're in the book now, congratulations

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

twoday posted:

You're in the book now, congratulations

here’s a quote for your book

“the stay at home order infringes on my constitutional rights wahhhhh” said the eggs to the milk carton

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i thought the first thing you learned on the Sea was "don't gently caress the mermaids"

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ruggan posted:

here’s a quote for your book

“the stay at home order infringes on my constitutional rights wahhhhh” said the eggs to the milk carton

I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Marx Headroom posted:

idk why yall are hating on these. theyre cheap, washable, reusable (you knit a pocket on the inside and stuff coffee filters in there like a respirator cartridge), easy to sanitize (iron them), you can crank em out without a sewing machine, they keep your face warm in winter, and they dont have the N95 problem where the elastic straps wear out
yeah stuffing a shop towel in there would be just as good as any homemade mask, but i've had to wear a mask for work for the last two weeks and a wool filter receptacle would not be pleasant

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

twoday posted:

I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way

yeah, that’s what I keep telling the constitutional rights people too

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Squizzle did this! it owns!

does squizzle take requests for money for avatar arts?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah Darkest Dungeon should be CSPAM required, it has a similar vibe at times in regards to the hopelessness

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.cracked.com/blog/how-90s-pop-band-secretly-sold-nazism-to-america/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah Darkest Dungeon should be CSPAM required, it has a similar vibe at times in regards to the hopelessness

A game in which you party members can get stat reducing STDs after getting attack by skeletons in the dungeon.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Can I get a gang tag for being (probably) the first person to post about COVID-19 on the forums?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I agree, it's fun to talk about and it isn't like our posts here on this forum are as bad as the president loudly and repeatedly suggesting people take some random unproved drug. Worst case some smoker goons keep on puffing. I'm concerned that no one will ever do further study though and there will have been people who were told to stop smoking because of the pandemic and did , and then subsequently got much sicker than they would have if they hadn't gotten that advice. Both hypotheses, smoking good or smoking bad, are completely unproven but for whatever reason the "smoking bad" argument is just the default and everyone has to work to disprove it and be extra careful.

Yeah, let's see what happens. You're probably right about this information being suppressed. It's interesting to discuss, but hard to draw any concrete conclusions from. But why not continue discussing it?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Starks posted:

isn't the air always clean in vancouver. isn't that the whole *point* of vancouver??

Not at all, the air gets trapped in the Fraser Valley by the mountains and there's bad smog in the summer. If it didn't rain so much it would be worse than LA.

I live in Melbourne now that is twice the population and the air quality is way better.

twoday
May 4, 2005

sincx posted:

Can I get a gang tag for being (probably) the first person to post about COVID-19 on the forums?

lol, that's worth a super spreader tag at least

good work

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

Australia has one of the lowest smoking rates in the world and we're also doing well at containing the virus now that we've stopped the plague boats so I'm not sure that any protection from smoking has that much of an impact tbh.

You guys have been inhaling smoke for months so I don't think this is a strong take.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ruggan posted:

yeah, that’s what I keep telling the constitutional rights people too

perhaps you should take the fringe off your flag

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Rasczak posted:

I'll have to give that some thought

Heads up tho it's probably going to be like Gordon Ramsay teaches you how to knit

maria bamford starting doing it weeks ago and you can catch a daily show for like $5

i think its gonna catch on before this is all over but who knows

i bet some bread guy on a way dumber forum site is already making big plans

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dodgy fishcakes lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

sincx posted:

"lets hope this isnt as bad as SARS" *monkey paw curls*

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

Australia has one of the lowest smoking rates in the world and we're also doing well at containing the virus now that we've stopped the plague boats so I'm not sure that any protection from smoking has that much of an impact tbh.

You guys have been inhaling smoke for months.

Bund
Mar 2, 2007

you are getting very hungry

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

gonna go out on a limb and say this totally defeats the point of a face mask

many such cases

https://twitter.com/legitngnews/status/1249991724505669632

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

sincx posted:

the index poster

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cordoba Birus

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Seeing all of those people gather for protests to kill themselves for trump is just mind boggling. Boomers truly have no concept of consequences. Oh well have fun in a couple weeks guys.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

"lets hope this isnt as bad as SARS" *monkey paw curls*

The CSPAM Cassandra of Coronachan

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

just stick some coffee filters in there.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dolphin posted:

herpes doesn't do anything wrong. it's actually good to have

twoday
May 4, 2005

BONGHITZ posted:

dodgy fishcakes lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

I think she needs to pay more attention in her anatomy classes

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Tei posted:

Why black people in particular?, lol china.

In Japan white people is banned from many restaurants. They see whites as loudmouth and ignorant of the japanese customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

empty whippet box posted:

Kinda wondering why it hasn't exploded here in mississippi yet, where we have done basically nothing and are about to reopen everything. There's like 1000 cases and 112 deaths or something total, which seems really low considering we're right next to new orleans

NYC has triple the population of the state of mississippi but it's all in one little area. Even 1/3rd the deaths that NYC has had in MS would be horrific

Mississippi has like 4,000 cases right now not 1,000. The only places with less than 1,000 in the IS are the ones like Montana with really low population.

Also: if a state isn't taking prevention seriously its probably not taking testing seriously either. The only way you're going to get an accurate idea of how bad this was for the South or the Interior West is by checking mortality rate increases compared to last year.