Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

sincx posted:

Can I get a gang tag for being (probably) the first person to post about COVID-19 on the forums?

we need to flatten the curve

...on your posting!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

rump buttman posted:

wtf does this mean?

If it was a badass drug that was kicking the rona's rear end, it would be clear from the initial smaller sample. If it only benefits a small percentage of patients, you'd need a massive sample size to show that it's not just a normal deviation from placebo.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Peacoffee posted:

mods please change my name to dodgyfishcakes

:laugh:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

oxsnard posted:

If it was a badass drug that was kicking the rona's rear end, it would be clear from the initial smaller sample. If it only benefits a small percentage of patients, you'd need a massive sample size to show that it's not just a normal deviation from placebo.

I fed mercury to 3000 patients but only 3 recovered. I am sure it works, but 3 is such a small number, I should expand the study and feed mercury to 10,000 patients. Then at least 10 will recover, and that will be a noteworthy statistic, unlike 3

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

twoday posted:

I fed mercury to 3000 patients but only 3 recovered. I am sure it works, but 3 is such a small number, I should expand the study and feed mercury to 10,000 patients. Then at least 10 will recover, and that will be a noteworthy statistic, unlike 3

/

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

:twosay:

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

another new record in deaths in the usa. cases remain flat despite multiple weeks of lockdown and a decline in testing...but it's the weekend so get ready for yet another blast of "reopen the economy!" optimism :sun:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1251359390558572544

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

this worked

for about a minute :(

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Sweden's herd immunity speedrun continuing to look great!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1251313958423683072?s=20

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I know you're being sarcastic but sorry, nobody died on Easter weekend so you're wrong and Sweden is right to let the virus roam free

By this point it's practically been confirmed by God

twoday has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Apr 18, 2020

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

sincx posted:

Can I get a gang tag for being (probably) the first person to post about COVID-19 on the forums?

You're like the Gaetan Dugas of this thread.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'm not a math guy but it looks like they're past the peak.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

twoday posted:

have you ever listened to any swedish music?

black polka?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Man, people are idiots.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

Man, people are idiots.

Trmeuisrpo[ip!@

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PDP-1 posted:

gonna be great when things start opening up early and just enough chuds start going out to keep infection rates high but normal people stay home and don't buy poo poo even harder because of that high infection rate so we somehow maximize the combination of number of sick people and economic collapse.

the trumpiest outcome possible

it was always going to happen this way

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

it was always going to happen this way

yeah and its probably going to go clear through 2021 while the rest of the world gets back to "normal".

any area on the USA relying on foreign tourism is permanently dead.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Mississippi has like 4,000 cases right now not 1,000. The only places with less than 1,000 in the IS are the ones like Montana with really low population.

Also: if a state isn't taking prevention seriously its probably not taking testing seriously either. The only way you're going to get an accurate idea of how bad this was for the South or the Interior West is by checking mortality rate increases compared to last year.

any idea how to do this?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

twoday posted:

Thank you for your work doctor

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Chinatown posted:

yeah and its probably going to go clear through 2021 while the rest of the world gets back to "normal".

any area on the USA relying on foreign tourism is permanently dead.
and if the immunity wears off in 2 years it'll be endemic to the US lmao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
ive been covering my face with cum to keep the covid out. gotta be at least as good as beads.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Squizzle posted:

im injesting colloidal bismuth and antimony to make my whole body diamagnetic which i believe will give me the ability to “surf” the lines of earths magnetic field at rocket speeds

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

in california i hear they surf the magnetic lines to school every day

e: or did. before the corvids

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i had some beans and ham for dinner tonight

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Had a coworker tell me that Sweden is exactly the same as all their neighbors in covid cases so it's all fake. He refused to cite his sources despite my having no ability to find anything but things saying Sweden is hosed. These Q folk are otherworldly.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

friendly 2 da void posted:

another new record in deaths in the usa. cases remain flat despite multiple weeks of lockdown and a decline in testing...but it's the weekend so get ready for yet another blast of "reopen the economy!" optimism :sun:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1251359390558572544

Only 1300 people died of Covid-19 on Sunday the 19th! REOPEN THE ECONOMY! DEATHS ARE DOWN! BACK TO WORK! #MillenialCrybabies

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

eric ciaramella posted:

ive been covering my face with cum to keep the covid out. gotta be at least as good as beads.

You're going to get an infection!

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Lessail posted:

i had some beans and ham for dinner tonight

I had ham, rice and beans for dinner. Get on my level :smug:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

so what is the rolling onto the stomach efficacy?

when you lay on your back, the heart puts pressure on the back of the pleural cavity, decreasing the amount of space available for gas exchange. this isn't a problem in the health individual.

when covid is destroying lung tissue though, this can add to the problem. so you have them lie in the prone position. because the heart just kinda hangs there a little better, and it frees up lung space.

it's standard for almost all cases of ARDS.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
ARDS lmao

coke
Jul 12, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Had a coworker tell me that Sweden is exactly the same as all their neighbors in covid cases so it's all fake. He refused to cite his sources despite my having no ability to find anything but things saying Sweden is hosed. These Q folk are otherworldly.

lol they are everywhere

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/121078372/coronavirus-two-claiming-lockdown-makes-them-illegally-detained-sue-jacinda-ardern

quote:

Men suing Jacinda Ardern over the Level 4 lockdown's legality have made claims including an allegation a business leader and the Prime Minister conspired to ruin New Zealand's economy.

On Friday, one man told the High Court in Auckland the United Nations Secretary-General should have been consulted before lockdown restrictions were imposed.

The man, currently serving a home detention sentence, and another sued Ardern and asked for a writ of habeas corpus. The writ is a legal order stating anyone detained must appear before a court before they can be forced to stay in prison.

Effectively, the men told Justice Mary Peters the lockdown made them unlawfully detained. Both have interim name suppression.

"It's not a pandemic. It's a panic-demic and she's running the show," the first applicant said, referring to Ardern.

"She has a cup of tea with [Sir Stephen] Tindall and they both decided to ruin the New Zealand economy and take away my rights."

He said lockdown amounted to imposition of authoritarian rule.

Even his home detention sentence allowed him away from the house from 8am to 5pm, he said.

New Zealand's coronavirus death toll is now 11 but at the time of the court hearing it was nine.

He cited a quote attributed to Soviet dictator Josef Stalin: "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

"Nine doesn't even make a statistic," he said.

A model predicting 80,000 New Zealanders would die without lockdown was in his opinion an inaccurate "well-woven yarn of complete decimation," he said.

He said restrictions on hunting and swimming followed a "fallacious" premise hospital emergency rooms were too busy.

"We'll be dealing with a corpse, the corpse of rights," he added.

The second applicant told the court Ardern based lockdown decisions on no real evidence.

He added: "This application is about the legality of the actions of the Prime Minister and the Director-General of Health together to abrogate the rights of all New Zealanders."

He claimed "spurious information supplied by unknown sources" prompted a Government overreaction.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Atrocious Joe posted:

actually everyone in China died of COVID and the CCP is just covering it up

actually, cover ups are forbidden in China, so you can trust them 100%

https://nationalfile.com/china-says-there-is-no-coronavirus-cover-up-because-cover-ups-are-not-permitted/

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

if I used to be obese is that still a risk factor I’m swole as heck now

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
east coast adult swim joe pera marathon is a pro choice in these troubled times

& for those unable https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/1FJoJxu5bMCL6dO6EGFaSkeRTGV7tLwj6

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
9 days until we hit the 60k deaths Trump says is the end and the virus goes away.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

does anyone have the video where a guy with glasses is interviewing a blond on the street who can barely speak and she goes “sorry my voice is shot I have the coronavirus” and the guy looks like he’s just seen his death

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

[COVID-19 April] The Corpse of Rights

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

does anyone have the video where a guy with glasses is interviewing a blond on the street who can barely speak and she goes “sorry my voice is shot I have the coronavirus” and the guy looks like he’s just seen his death
https://m.imgur.com/qhvNsIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

9 days until we hit the 60k deaths Trump says is the end and the virus goes away.

don't worry, they already set up the next goalpost by saying that if deaths stayed under 200,000 then trump did a great job. Once we hit 200k that will be changed to 'fantastic job' and we will be reminded that it would have been 2.2 million if we had done nothing. When it reaches 2.2 million, we will all be jubilant, for we had less than 3 million deaths, which is a miracle, and trump is the best president.