Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
For years as a nerdy analogy I pointed out that the Tea Party was just an astroturf campaign but it ended up having a life of its own and led to a political movement that at times ran counter to the machinations of those powerful people who secretly concocted its ideology for their own benefit . . . making the Koch brothers et al agents of Missionaria Protectiva and the Tea Partiers the Fremen.

But now I realize that there is another analogy, the system of power breaking down contrary to these machinations because of an unexpected mercurial agent who swoops in and takes the reins of the Fremen religion--my god, Trump is the Kwisatz Haderach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Big whoop, all that means is he'll win a knife fight against Sting and make it rain.

..And invent sonic tanks. :shrug:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

So I looked up the coward harkkonnen and the wiki has a loving eve online portrait for a picture. lmao

Is that an EVE character portrait cause it sure looks like it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

eSports Chaebol posted:

my god, Trump is the Kwisatz Haderach!

By the way, how BAD were the Sardukar this year, did you see them? "And the winner is:... a tribe from Sietch Tabr!" What the hell was that all about? We've got enough problems with the Guild with trade. On top of it they give the Fremen control of all known spice production? Are they weirding? I don't know. I'm looking for like, let's get, "The Beast" Rabban. Can we Get "The Beast" Rabban back please? "Lovely Feyd"? So many great Harkonnens. "The Winner is... from Sietch Tabr". I Thought it was supposed to be Best Dukedom, no? Best Dukedom! No! Did this ever happen before? And then you have Shaddam IV, I was never a big fan of his. He got up, said some little wise guy statement. Little wise guy. He's a little wise guy.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

euphronius posted:

This will be the best movie ever and I will construct elaborate defensive constructs to justify it

Same but the Lynch version.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

and the daughter from THAT Union would have been the true KH, according to the BG.

The BG assumed that she would be BG trained and under BG control, but considering how little control they had on Jessica, that idea is laughable.
The union between Feyd-Rautha and Jessica's supposed daughter would have given rise to the The Kwisatz Hadarach who was always referred to as male, as apparently Frank thought real long and hard about feminism and concluded that what a whole universe of otherwise-powerful women needed was a real man all along - despite the fact that Beverly went and got a job so she could support them while Frank wrote his books.

The in-universe reason for why Bene Gesserit failed is that they failed to recognize the power of love - which is what causes Jessica to rebel against all of her teachings and arguably her entire way of life up until that point.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 18, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

Is that an EVE character portrait cause it sure looks like it.
Didn't read your post but lol the thing you quoted looks like a character portrait from EVE, Online

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pretty good posted:

Didn't read your post but lol the thing you quoted looks like a character portrait from EVE, Online

Posts within posts!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

By the way, how BAD were the Sardukar this year, did you see them? "And the winner is:... a tribe from Sietch Tabr!" What the hell was that all about? We've got enough problems with the Guild with trade. On top of it they give the Fremen control of all known spice production? Are they weirding? I don't know. I'm looking for like, let's get, "The Beast" Rabban. Can we Get "The Beast" Rabban back please? "Lovely Feyd"? So many great Harkonnens. "The Winner is... from Sietch Tabr". I Thought it was supposed to be Best Dukedom, no? Best Dukedom! No! Did this ever happen before? And then you have Shaddam IV, I was never a big fan of his. He got up, said some little wise guy statement. Little wise guy. He's a little wise guy.

The Spacing Guild gave us a very bad deal, very unfair. More and more people are saying this. I was telling Irulan -- very pretty girl, by the way. Very young. Loves kissing. She always had a crush on me. I said Irulan -- and by the way, have you seen these Fremen chiefs? So handsome. So handsome! Like film book stars! You send these guys into battle, the Sardaukar are running. Nobody will tell you this. The Golden Path? Nobody knew how difficult that would turn out to be. "Atreides will destroy all Spice production on Arrakis," they said. Well, look at it now. Big numbers. Better than ever, say some. I don't know.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty good posted:

I lol'd at THIS post

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

The union between Feyd-Rautha and Jessica's supposed daughter would have given rise to the The Kwisatz Hadarach who was always referred to as male, as apparently Frank thought real long and hard about feminism and concluded that what a whole universe of otherwise-powerful women needed was a real man all along - despite the fact that Beverly went and got a job so she could support them while Frank wrote his books.

The in-universe reason for why Bene Gesserit failed is that they failed to recognize the power of love - which is what causes Jessica to rebel against all of her teachings and arguably her entire way of life up until that point.

Well yeah, the kwisatz haderach is a male reverend mother. Before that, any man to attempt the agony died outright. After the bg breeding program was prematurely successful, the atriedies genetic line had males which could access past lives. See: leto II and miles teg (his mother in the hall of mirrors). He just so happened to take over the universe, because the bg had been investing the myth of the kwieatz haderach with a lot of energy, even within their own ranks, in hopes of controlling the final product which would assume the 'godhead'.

I've always thought herbert low key believed women were superior

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
'prescience' was a random mutation. Evolution, not selective breeding

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

So I looked up the coward harkkonnen and the wiki has a loving eve online portrait for a picture. lmao

Ten millenia.

And people tell Kansas/Missouri to let the Civil War go.

FBS posted:

what was the BG gonna do with the KH anyway

They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

lol imagine hating a family for longer than human civilization has lasted because one dude bitched out during a fight

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inverted Icon posted:

Well yeah, the kwisatz haderach is a male reverend mother. Before that, any man to attempt the agony died outright. After the bg breeding program was prematurely successful, the atriedies genetic line had males which could access past lives. See: leto II and miles teg (his mother in the hall of mirrors). He just so happened to take over the universe, because the bg had been investing the myth of the kwieatz haderach with a lot of energy, even within their own ranks, in hopes of controlling the final product which would assume the 'godhead'.

That's a very good point, Bene Gesserit basicaly invented their godhead, they just weren't ready to handle it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Started reading Heretics finally, happy to see how fast the chair-dogs show up.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

This will be the best movie ever and I will construct elaborate defensive constructs to justify it
cast those who do not hype into the desert

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna bust a nut watching Jason Momoa climb a cliff in 2030.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twitch posted:

Gonna bust a nut watching Jason Momoa climb a cliff in 2030.
Heck, :same:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Inverted Icon posted:

There are several men in the books that just completely outclass all the women in term of power (Paul, Idaho at certain points, Teg) but they're also always out of control (both their own and the BG's) and unexpected.

Frank seems to have obviously thought men were stronger in some ways, but for a guy who made very plain how dangerous and catastrophic a superhero could be, it seems to me like he didn't really regard this strength as 'superior' necessarily.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Just popped in here to say seeing Josh Brolin in armor with full opsec beard made me all :swoon: hard.

This movie is going to bomb so hard that the next reboot will be shot in the actual Corrino reign.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's a very good point, Bene Gesserit basicaly invented their godhead, they just weren't ready to handle it.

(Un)ironically this is the plot of his book the Godmakers, which is interesting and very trippy.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Frank seems to have obviously thought men were stronger in some ways, but for a guy who made very plain how dangerous and catastrophic a superhero could be, it seems to me like he didn't really regard this strength as 'superior' necessarily.

"Space Hitler could only be a man." -Frank Herbert, neckbeard misogynist

This is where people confuse is/ought arguments. Being Space Hitler "is" necessary to save humanity from annihilation, but no one thinks the universe "ought" to be that way. Except the Baron, maybe. But he's a fat meanie.

Maybe that's a dumb and/or outdated way to see things. But it's not exactly difficult to see the same point in the exact opposite light, where Herbert thinks women are - possibly quite rightly and sanely - not willing to become Space Hitler no matter what.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

revwinnebago posted:

"Space Hitler could only be a man." -Frank Herbert, neckbeard misogynist

This is where people confuse is/ought arguments. Being Space Hitler "is" necessary to save humanity from annihilation, but no one thinks the universe "ought" to be that way. Except the Baron, maybe. But he's a fat meanie.

Maybe that's a dumb and/or outdated way to see things. But it's not exactly difficult to see the same point in the exact opposite light, where Herbert thinks women are - possibly quite rightly and sanely - not willing to become Space Hitler no matter what.

I just want to murder all the infidels and prevent the extinction of the human race through the typhoon struggle but, hey, that's your opinion and I'm fine with it. Looks like you've got some spice-essence fueled consciousness expanding to do.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

lol imagine hating a family for longer than human civilization has lasted because one dude bitched out during a fight

I think they sorta constantly perpetuated. Also Atreides being the cooler and more popular ones and Harkonnen envy of "look at them fancy Atreides who didn't turn their planet into total hellhole".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sekenr posted:

I think they sorta constantly perpetuated. Also Atreides being the cooler and more popular ones and Harkonnen envy of "look at them fancy Atreides who didn't turn their planet into total hellhole".
I got the vibe that during the period of the books, the Atreides were virtuous and the Harkonnen were cruel and wicked... but that this state of affairs wasn't always the case, and there very well could have been a period where the tables were turned.

Couldn't the KH have also given all the male Other Memories to the other Reverend Mothers? And were Other Memories only up to the point of bearing the child in question? Like Paul had Leto and Ghanima so anyone with his Other Memories in the future wouldn't know his perspective during Children of Dune, just during the first two books.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Was this Steven Universe all along? Again?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

threelemmings posted:

(Un)ironically this is the plot of his book the Godmakers, which is interesting and very trippy.
Yup.
The secret to Frank Herberts bibliography is that Dune is just every other book he's written up until that point, but deathstilled.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was this Steven Universe all along? Again?
Seems probable?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yup.
The secret to Frank Herberts bibliography is that Dune is just every other book he's written up until that point, but deathstilled.

A shitload of authors do this, really. The whole creative process is often about playing around with the same ideas until you figure out a permutation that works for you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of authors do this, really. The whole creative process is often about playing around with the same ideas until you figure out a permutation that works for you.
Oh, I know. I didn't even mean it as a bad thing, I really just wanted to make the pun. :shrug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ugh, literally dreamed I watched the new Dune movie last night. Can this thing just come out already? I can only get so hyped

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Just got out of a secret test preview screening for hot people with big brains. Pretty good on the whole, the weirding modules and heart plugs look way cooler than the ones in the original

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If I still worked at WB I would have seen the editor's assembly by now and frankly I don't think I could keep it to myself so I'm glad I'm not tempted. It would be my own professional gom jabbar situation

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Would you have been human or goon?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can't tell you, the test is crisis.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Voice is now accomplished by beat boxing to accompany the weirding way breakdance competitions

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just left the secret screening for guys with big dicks, it was really weird how every few minutes they had another scene of Gurney Halleck cheeting on his wife.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The Bloop posted:

The Voice is now accomplished by beat boxing to accompany the weirding way breakdance competitions

My name... My name is a serving word

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"... And then, over about 3500 years, the guy turns himself into a giant worm!!! It was the funniest poo poo I'd ever seen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.