Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I can believe the public wants lockdown, because who the hell wants to go to the office? Surely something weird is going to happen when they formally end it but all the office workers refuse to start commuting again.

"Come back to the office now"
"No"
"OK, here's your P45"
:saddowns:

Just lol if you think this is the issue people will mobilise en masse over after decades of degradation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skilbs posted:

Overnight I was contacted by a colleague who is very upset with me for going to the union. Apparently during a department meeting the boss gave a very compelling reason why everyone should just take the pay cut, I was not allowed in the meeting due to being on furlough and he won't tell me because it is confidential.

The compelling reason is that they're planning to sack everyone except those on the call.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

gently caress the bootlicker. Workers have the right to join unions, you aren't individually responsible for anything unless you're a rep and even if you aren't then you still can't be targeted for dismissal because of union activity.

Join the call and name and shame the arsehole for what they're doing I'd say.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Necrothatcher posted:

The compelling reason is that they're planning to sack everyone except those on the call.

Agreed, this sounds like a paycut to squeeze as much work as they can out of people before an aggressive restructuring. Asking people to take a cut on faith for reasons that are "confidential" stinks to high heaven

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

National Trust is taking a pay freeze for the year, but furlough is 100% pay. I think I'd still rather have had my promised pay rise, thanks to the wonders of compound interest it's almost certainly worth more to me over the next 30 years than 20% of pay for a few months now. But the union voted the freeze through with 93% Yes so here we are.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah, we work in film so we know we are being hit hard once the current work runs out. I am on a fixed term contract and most of us have been furloughed and told we will not be coming off furlough. My contract is now attached to the length of the government's furlough scheme. The concern amongst the senior staff who are currently still working is that they will take a pay cut and be let go anyway at the end with smaller redundancies. Then next year once the work has come back everyone gets rehired on lower rates.

I have emailed my union, I will also bring it up in the next call, several of the people who are on these calls were also in the meeting where the magic reasoning was given and it didn't convince them. This guy just spends all day reading the daily mail and watching Ben Shapiro.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Just gently caress it all and go robbing imo :hehe:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just went to the shops for the first time in 3 weeks. Less people distancing and wearing masks than 3 weeks ago

I go out wearing basically full hazmat though so I do get people distancing from me lol

One of my gloves broke though so I'm already dead

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
York apparently has footfall counters in the city centre. Can't find access to the data but an article in the local paper for the end of march put footfall at like a thousand versus 29k same day last year. Be interesting to know more up to date figures.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

If any of you do have to deal with older relatives saying that social distancing and lockdown is a complete overreaction, feel free to point them to Ireland.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dr-tony-holohan-we-think-weve-flattened-that-curve-so-much-that-there-is-no-peak-5077707-Apr2020/

The original estimate that the Government was working on was that there would be 15,000 cases here by the end of March. It's now the 18th and we are still at sub 14,000 cases. Total fatalities are at 530 here.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

The Question IRL posted:

older relatives ... point them to Ireland.

An excellent suggestion, with no possible drawbacks.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

If any of you do have to deal with older relatives saying that social distancing and lockdown is a complete overreaction, feel free to point them to Ireland.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dr-tony-holohan-we-think-weve-flattened-that-curve-so-much-that-there-is-no-peak-5077707-Apr2020/

The original estimate that the Government was working on was that there would be 15,000 cases here by the end of March. It's now the 18th and we are still at sub 14,000 cases. Total fatalities are at 530 here.

Well that just shows that all this is a fuss over nothing so why are we bothering and furthermore BLARRRRGHHH

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Skilbs posted:

Yeah, we work in film so we know we are being hit hard once the current work runs out. I am on a fixed term contract and most of us have been furloughed and told we will not be coming off furlough. My contract is now attached to the length of the government's furlough scheme. The concern amongst the senior staff who are currently still working is that they will take a pay cut and be let go anyway at the end with smaller redundancies. Then next year once the work has come back everyone gets rehired on lower rates.

Sounds about right. Not sure if its any use for you but there's a few pots of money about :
https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/announcements/covid-19-film-tv-emergency-relief-fund
https://filmtvcharity.org.uk/covid-19-help-advice/
https://www.creativescotland.com/resources/professional-resources/covid-19-directory

Can you and the rest break away and start a new studio? Probably not the best time for it, but any lack of transparency always makes me wonder why that is. A lot of businesses have let the mask fall off and letting everyone know they don't give a poo poo about employees, just turnover. If there was one change that came out of this I'd hope it'd be more person-centred businesses starting up rather than trying to fiddle with spreadsheets so the profits remain high.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Office bosses are going to hate it though, because trapping you all in a building means your lunch breaks and social interactions are potential work. Talking with your spouse and kids isn’t problem-solving or team bonding! Grrr!

https://twitter.com/JoakimRonning/status/1250686452595331073?s=20

justcola fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 18, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

York apparently has footfall counters in the city centre. Can't find access to the data but an article in the local paper for the end of march put footfall at like a thousand versus 29k same day last year. Be interesting to know more up to date figures.

On Monday London Underground had it's lowest number of passenger journeys since it was formed. Records from the pre-Underground days are sketchier but it's likely it was the lowest number since the 19th century - it's certainly dropped by at least 90% year-on-year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose it is harder to compile statistics of people using the underground before the underground existed as mole people do not adhere to rigorous documentation despite what the qanon people believe.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I filled in a form for farm work and they've been hassling me constantly since for an interview. But now I'm having second thoughts. On the one hand I feel obligated to do something and also don't see why I should be too good for menial, back-breaking labour, on the other hand all I hear is loving horror stories and am still pretty broke-brained and have chronic insomnia and am generally a pathetic bourgeois prick. I've worked in warehouses a far bit in my time and quite liked it, but apparently this is far worse

I actually like repetitive and manual labour, but unpleasant/flat out injurous labour six days a week while living in a portacabin with five other people for six weeks and not being able to leave (since I don't drive) sounds like kind of a bad deal

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

I filled in a form for farm work and they've been hassling me constantly since for an interview. But now I'm having second thoughts. On the one hand I feel obligated to do something and also don't see why I should be too good for menial, back-breaking labour, on the other hand all I hear is loving horror stories and am still pretty broke-brained and have chronic insomnia and am generally a pathetic bourgeois prick. I've worked in warehouses a far bit in my time and quite liked it, but apparently this is far worse

I actually like repetitive and manual labour, but unpleasant/flat out injurous labour six days a week while living in a portacabin with five other people for six weeks and not being able to leave (since I don't drive) sounds like kind of a bad deal

You would be getting paid for this, right?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Question IRL posted:

Point them at New Zealand. 11 deaths and almost complete suppression of community transmission.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 18, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

You would be getting paid for this, right?

minimum wage but also they dock your pay for accomodation and food

like, from what I've heard it's essentially indentured servitude, and if you don't pick enough a day or if it isn't high enough quality they'll get rid of you immediately

I wouldn't be doing it for the money really given that my partner is the breadwinner in the household, 'cause I've sort've given up on myself or on having a 'normal' career or life at this point

EDIT I have no illusions, it's extremely likely I'd be utterly miserable the entire time, but why am I too good for being miserable when other people have to be? Also perhaps it'd toughen me up a bit

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 18, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

like, from what I've heard it's essentially indentured servitude, and if you don't pick enough a day or if it isn't high enough quality they'll get rid of you immediately

EDIT I have no illusions, it's extremely likely I'd be utterly miserable the entire time, but why am I too good for being miserable when other people have to be? Also perhaps it'd toughen me up a bit

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Can always give it a shot. Having a interview to express your concerns and seeing what they say about them and the conditions are would at least allow you to reject it with firmer information, and it's not like you are pressed for time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say that being treated like poo poo has ever improved my mental health, personally.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Can always give it a shot. Having a interview to express your concerns and seeing what they say about them and the conditions are would at least allow you to reject it with firmer information, and it's not like you are pressed for time.

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say that being treated like poo poo has ever improved my mental health, personally.

both true

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nah, gently caress that poo poo

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I wouldn't be doing it for the money really given that my partner is the breadwinner in the household, 'cause I've sort've given up on myself or on having a 'normal' career or life at this point

There's no virtue in suffering. If you need the money then yeah, take it. But putting yourself through hardship just because you feel bad about not being in hardship seems like self-flagellation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose it is harder to compile statistics of people using the underground before the underground existed as mole people do not adhere to rigorous documentation despite what the qanon people believe.

I know it's a joke but I literally can't stop myself doing this

There were underground railways before London Underground was formed to allow common branding, ticketing and interchanges between the 8 different companies offering services:

Metropolitan and District Railway: Modern Metropolitan, District and Circle Lines plus the East London Line (now part of the Overground)
Central London Railway: Central Line, bits of the Piccadilly Line
City and South London Railway: bits of the Northern Line
Great Northern and City Railway: Other bits of the Northern Line, most of it now Overground and Thameslink
Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway: Other other bits of the Northern Line
Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway: Piccadilly Line, bits of the Central Line
Baker Street and Waterloo Railway: Bakerloo Line
Waterloo and City Railway: Take a guess.

All of them owned bits of the others (and were part-owned by bits of the big rail companies), so unifying them should have been easy but the name itself belies the tensions - other underground railways around the world had adopted "Metro" and variations thereof for their underground railways after the Metropolitan Railway, because it was the first one, but the other companies definitely didn't want to let the big boys get away with naming the new system. Similarly the Met didn't want the common term for the non-Met railways - "The Tube", originally a nickname for the C&SR because of the circular tunnels, then used as actual branding by the CLR (the "tuppeny tube", because it was 2d to ride) - to be the name for the new system, so the somewhat unwieldy "The Underground Electric Railways Company". This also worked from a branding standpoint, as "Underground" fitted nicely on both the Met's branding (normally just the word "MetropolitaN" and the CLR roundel which with modification eventually became the common branding for the whole system.

The reason it's hard to say what passenger numbers were like before then was because interchange rules were more or less random and cross-ticketing arrangements changed sometimes monthly as the companies bought bits of each other and randomly tried to block each other or temporarily allied - the catastrofuck that is the Bank/Monument complex and the whole situation around Aldgate/Aldgate East/Liverpool Street/Moorgate are the more visible scars of this battle.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I filled in a form for farm work and they've been hassling me constantly since for an interview.

Seems a bit weird there's even an interview.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

lol what the gently caress

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

tell me what aspect of your previous job best prepared you for taking on the responsibility of planting 'taters?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TACD posted:

lol what the gently caress

That's been the conditions for migrant agricultural workers for decades now, why would it be any different for their emergency domestic replacements?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

double nine posted:

tell me what aspect of your previous job best prepared you for taking on the responsibility of planting 'taters?

Being a boring fucker I should point out that planting taters is basically following a tractor round, or driving said tractor, and you need 3 people to do a whole farm’s worth (unless you have a fancy remote control machine in which case it’s 2) the seasonal work at this time of year is repeatedly bending down to pick soft fruit which will ruin your hands and lower back. Holding off till Apple/pear season is the more sensible option.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Barry Foster posted:

It sounds like you're mentally unwell tbh. I spent some summer holidays on farms when I was young. I would strongly advise you not to do it because the risk of injury is high and it could have long-term consequences for your physical health. This isn't WW2 despite some middle aged people - who can't remember that event but have romantic ideas about it - pretending it is. You can do your bit by staying at home and looking after yourself and those you care about

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Barry Foster posted:

That's not indentured servitude. Unless you mean "get rid of you".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

crispix posted:

It sounds like you're mentally unwell tbh. I spent some summer holidays on farms when I was young. I would strongly advise you not to do it because the risk of injury is high and it could have long-term consequences for your physical health. This isn't WW2 despite some middle aged people - who can't remember that event but have romantic ideas about it - pretending it is. You can do your bit by staying at home and looking after yourself and those you care about

Yeah. I'm better than I was but I'm still nowhere near mentally well atm.

Getting the message, thanks comrades. I thought about it in the first place because in the Before Times I was a bit of a gym rat and figured that if I'm fit and strong I could do it, and also I don't want to lose all my fitness over the next year or eighteen months or however long it takes before I can go back. But I suppose there's a difference between 'do deadlifts for half an hour then go home' and 'do repetitive, awkward labour for ten hours a day every day', and one doesn't necessarily prepare you for the other. And I'm 33, which while not old isn't really young anymore either. Also I know that I have a low capacity for stress. I just wish I didn't.

Also my partner has rheumatoid arthritis and while she's generally ok she can't/won't go to shops (which is fair, given the drugs she's on) so she'd probably need to go stay at her dad's while I'm away as well

sassassin posted:

That's not indentured servitude. Unless you mean "get rid of you".

Hence 'essentially'

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Employment has been hilariously over corprotised and formalised for decades. It's funny watching olds talk about getting a job as being a simple case of putting on a good suit, combing your hair and then greeting a store manager with a firm handshake, which was probably all it took back in the 60s or 70s

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I do hope that this is going to cause some long term disruption to at least the idea of an office job where you have to go the the building and sit in it and work there for no real good reason (I have never worked in an office but I gather this is what they are like) and perhaps get more non essential work done from home. Fewer people commuting etc, reduced costs for people who would have to commute, maybe they can work fewer hours.

It's got to, at least in the knowledge based industries. I've got colleagues who have an extra 2 hours leisure in each day now they're not commuting, and thousands in their pocket each year that isn't being spent on train tickets or petrol.
We're recording COVID related disruption and it's costing us about 5% of our total working time. That's a flimsy statistic because we never really tracked office related disruption, so we have nothing to compare it to, but would I take a 5% pay cut to keep those freedoms? Hell yeah.
Any office job that doesn't sustain these liberties is going to haemorrhage workers to a firm that does. Changing employer now involves nothing more than closing one laptop and opening another.
Employers that can trust their staff (or at least measure their output) would be moronic not to see the benefits too. Working from home means no office bills, no staff getting stuck in traffic, no seasonal flu circulating round your team, no loving about trying to fit in more desks when you want to expand, no commute limitations on who you can recruit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Guess we don't need to do hs2 now.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think an interview could be valueable, in the sense of 'lets have a chat about what this work involves, the conditions, give you an oppertunity to ask questions etc' before starting jobs. However, since everything is now corportised , I doubt it would be that kind of useful exploration of the job and more 'tell me why you have a deep desire for picking fruit and being treated like poo poo'

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

winegums posted:

Employment has been hilariously over corprotised and formalised for decades. It's funny watching olds talk about getting a job as being a simple case of putting on a good suit, combing your hair and then greeting a store manager with a firm handshake, which was probably all it took back in the 60s or 70s

In lieu of solidarity movements fighting against racism and sexism to increase equality and participation the liberal feminist and anti-racist movements push for formal anti-discrimination and equality in law and so the process for hiring people had to take on numerous structural changes and HR had to expand to ensure that the process was legally compliant.

It's not a bad thing having it in law but in all matters of corporate governance they don't actually care about achieving the intent of the policy and instead want to remove any exposure they might have for legal action against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think an interview could be valueable, in the sense of 'lets have a chat about what this work involves, the conditions, give you an oppertunity to ask questions etc' before starting jobs. However, since everything is now corportised , I doubt it would be that kind of useful exploration of the job and more 'tell me why you have a deep desire for picking fruit and being treated like poo poo'

Apparently a lot of brits have had interviews and almost all have said 'gently caress that noise'

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/17/british-workers-reject-fruit-picking-jobs-as-romanians-flown-in-coronavirus