Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Well the most demanding game I own now is Minecraft.

Just imagine this sentence like 8 years ago. Just think about it.

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Where is the Broadcast Engine stuff nVidia teased at TwitchCon last summer? Never heard of it again.

They just released the first part, RTX Voice, which does background noise rejection using ~AI~

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/broadcasting/18/361740/rtx-voice-beta/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd7c7FVofOE&t=283s

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Does the RTX version work with the java edition? I don't have the whatever non-java Minecraft, the xbox app, or even the windows store.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

ItBurns posted:

Does the RTX version work with the java edition? I don't have the whatever non-java Minecraft, the xbox app, or even the windows store.

No chance. Windows 10 Bedrock edition only.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ItBurns posted:

If you bought the Java edition before October 19, 2018 you can claim a free copy of the Windows 10 version until Monday: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/ancient-java-players--you-attention-please-/

If you're a newer owner or just prefer playing the Java version (like me, mods are what make Minecraft enjoyable IMO) one of the major shader packs has a path tracing implementation that does not require RTX and looks really good. https://www.sonicether.com/seus/

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 17, 2020

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
As a person who used both, the rtx one is much faster and does colored lighting through glass. Though Sonic's renders much farther as he is able to fall back to normal rendering when you go beyond path tracing range

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Now I just want the Minecraft Java RTX edition, where's THAT Microsoft, stop loving your customers by not putting that sweet RTX magic into the Java edition. What do you have against coffee anyways?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Does Java support Vulcan or dx12? I honestly don't know

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wolrah posted:

If you bought the Java edition before October 19, 2018 you can claim a free copy of the Windows 10 version until Monday: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/ancient-java-players--you-attention-please-/

If you're a newer owner or just prefer playing the Java version (like me, mods are what make Minecraft enjoyable IMO) one of the major shader packs has a path tracing implementation that does not require RTX and looks really good. https://www.sonicether.com/seus/
How? That article doesn't say how, and I can't figure it out on the site. So many worthless words.

edit: You have to go to the mojang site, not minecraft.net, you have to accept the new eula, and you have to click stuff until you get to a page where it offers you the option to redeem on win10. On most other pages it still tries to charge you, and on minecraft.net there's no way to get a free copy.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 17, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Twibbit posted:

Does Java support Vulcan or dx12? I honestly don't know

https://www.lwjgl.org/ does if you want.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Khorne posted:

How? That article doesn't say how, and I can't figure it out on the site. So many worthless words.

Your key should be here if you have one: https://account.mojang.com/me

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I suppose I have a philosophical question. I got burned by AMD and now I'm sitting on three 5700/5700 XTs. Do I keep them, or sell them off and buy two 2060S es?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suppose I have a philosophical question. I got burned by AMD and now I'm sitting on three 5700/5700 XTs. Do I keep them, or sell them off and buy two 2060S es?

In good philosophical form, I will respond to your question with a question:

If they burned you, why keep them?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because they're not inherently bad, I worry it's my lizard brain overreacting.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I mean as long as we're talking about a theoretical situation that you didn't explain, can I choose the option of selling all 3 and buying one good card?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, needs to be two cards. Last holiday season, I got the two 5700s and were going to flash them to XTs and put them into the stepbrothers' computers, but they screwed up on their last report cards (which this whole deal was contingent on), so I've been holding onto the machines still.

I also got myself a 5700XT, intending to put together a computer for myself for Doom Eternal, except even my 1060 could run that flawlessly at 21:9 1080p60+, and then The 'Rona kicked off and delivery times went to hell, aka June, so.... I have three cards either essentially or ACTUALLY NIB, and I'm contemplating getting rid of all three and replacing with two Nvidia cards for the kids and just riding out what I've got for the rest of the year.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 18, 2020

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's kind of a bummer to see AMD drop the ball so hard on high end/mid range cards, I used to buy Radeon stuff all the time but it's just not on the same level as it was back in the day.

Actually even without the driver issues, 5700s are the only ones decent in the Navi lineup. 5600 is meh with the 6GB VRAM and its not all that much cheaper than the base 5700, while the 5500XT flat out sucks donkey balls in perf/$.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 18, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, needs to be two cards. Last holiday season, I got the two 5700s and were going to flash them to XTs and put them into the stepbrothers' computers, but they screwed up on their last report cards (which this whole deal was contingent on), so I've been holding onto the machines still.

I also got myself a 5700XT, intending to put together a computer for myself for Doom Eternal, except even my 1060 could run that flawlessly at 21:9 1080p60+, and then The 'Rona kicked off and delivery times went to hell, aka June, so.... I have three cards either essentially or ACTUALLY NIB, and I'm contemplating getting rid of all three and replacing with two Nvidia cards for the kids and just riding out what I've got for the rest of the year.

Oh no that sucks, sorry to hear that :( it would definitely make sense to make that move ASAP if you intend do.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Around here delivery times are pretty much fine. I'm putting together a new system finally and most of the components arrived today, two days after I ordered. Now I am just waiting on the hopefully-not-terrible case I ordered and the loving power supply, but they are supposed to be here Monday.

I'm going to use my existing 1060 6GB for now, but the GPU is going to be the next upgrade. Kind of shopping around right now to get a sense of the field.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It would behoove you to wait for the new Nvidia cards later this year. A 1060 is enough to get you by (imo) and you will be handsomely rewarded for your patience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I'm debating the timeline. I really need a new monitor and want to bump up to 2560x1440, which I know will push the 1060 a lot more. This old 24" is really due for an upgrade, though. It's going to be weird going back to my GPU being the bottleneck instead of the CPU - my old warhorse of a processor has been increasingly struggling the last couple years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is using a frame rate limiter like Radeon Chill meaningfully different from turning on VSync in terms of letting my GPU back off from working too hard to push frames that I don't see with a 60 Hz monitor anyway?

can I just turn on both?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
New 30X0 or used 20X0, definitely don't buy a new 20X0 under any circumstances. And they're only gonna go up on eBay/SA Mart once the 30X0 release/announcement date is fairly certain.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

gradenko_2000 posted:

is using a frame rate limiter like Radeon Chill meaningfully different from turning on VSync in terms of letting my GPU back off from working too hard to push frames that I don't see with a 60 Hz monitor anyway?

can I just turn on both?

Vsync has input delay but no screen tearing. Limiting framerate has screen tearing but no input delay. If you have gsync/freesync you get the positives of both. Choose your poison.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Almost. If you have gsync/freesync, limiting framerate gets you the positive of both. Gsync/Freesync do literally nothing if your framerate is outrunning your refresh rate, and you get the exact same choice between latency and tearing.

It's also possible with more precise limiters like RTSS, IDK about Chill, to get tearing to happen right at the very top or bottom of the screen where it may be less noticeable.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also the latency penalty for vsync is not a fixed time but is instead a variable figure of up to 3 frames depending on how far ahead the game engine can run. So the higher the monitor refresh rate is (meaning less time per frame), the smaller the latency penalty for enabling vsync is. The way to measure the penalty is to multiply the frame time by the number of frames buffered. So on a 60 Hz monitor vsync will contribute an additional 50 MS of latency (16.6 MS x 3 frames buffered). The exact same scenario at 144 Hz reduces the maximum figure to 20.8 MS. And at 240 Hz it is further reduced to 12.5 MS, which is less than the the minimum latency at 60 Hz.

So basically if you have variable refresh and a 144 Hz monitor, the usefulness of frame rate limiters is limited to mostly edge cases. If you have a 240 Hz or higher monitor (which will be growing more common as time goes on) the usefulness of frame rate limiters becomes dubious at best. If you buy that upcoming 360 Hz Asus gsync monitor you should just toggle vsync on and forget it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I've noticed that a lot of console games do that pretty well, they force screen tearing at the very top of the screen whenever frames drop below target, but I've yet to find a decent implemention of that idea for PC gaming. I tried RTSS but it's very finicky and doesn't always work consistently well. I would love it if I could use a program that keeps the tearing at the very top, all of the time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It doesn't really work how you would intuitively think. There are many factors at play, and unless the entire rendering pipeline fundamentally changes, framerate capping is almost always going to significantly reduce latency. Additionally, while it's extra work, tuning your framerate cap for specific games where you are GPU limited will also give very significant reductions in latency, even without VRR or vsync. For example, you might think that going from 90 FPS uncapped to 80 FPS capped would increase your latency by about 1.4ms, but in reality if you are GPU bound, it might reduce your latency by about 30ms, which feels massively better.

Battlenonsense has a ton of content going through relevant topics.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've noticed that a lot of console games do that pretty well, they force screen tearing at the very top of the screen whenever frames drop below target, but I've yet to find a decent implemention of that idea for PC gaming. I tried RTSS but it's very finicky and doesn't always work consistently well. I would love it if I could use a program that keeps the tearing at the very top, all of the time.

You may not be capping your framerate aggressively enough, or lowering settings enough. That particular technique is not magic and if the frames aren't coming quickly enough for RTSS to line up the timing window then tearing is just gonna happen where it's gonna happen.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 18, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ah so it's just a case of having plenty of GPU headroom to spare? That makes sense. I've noticed that the RTSS implementation works better with older games.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ufarn posted:

New 30X0 or used 20X0, definitely don't buy a new 20X0 under any circumstances. And they're only gonna go up on eBay/SA Mart once the 30X0 release/announcement date is fairly certain.

If used cards get cheap enough, I'd be tempted to replace my 1070 with a 2060, which is almost a sidegrade but dammit I want to try Quake II with raytracing

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

If used cards get cheap enough, I'd be tempted to replace my 1070 with a 2060, which is almost a sidegrade but dammit I want to try Quake II with raytracing

I can't believe how many people feel this way with the old outdated games getting RTX. Can't you get 99% of the experience in a 5 min youtube video? Is it really more than a "huh yeah that looks way different, cool"?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I understand the allure, but probably better to try it out with GeForce Now or whatever it's called to give it a whirl, if something like that's possible.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

I can't believe how many people feel this way with the old outdated games getting RTX. Can't you get 99% of the experience in a 5 min youtube video? Is it really more than a "huh yeah that looks way different, cool"?

Because it looks loving awesome. The same way Minecraft RTX looks loving awesome.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They're old games. They won't be any less new when you actually need a new GPU, just wait until then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you have to buy a new nVidia GPU right now as a placeholder, don't buy anything more expensive than a 2060S. They're flirting with $350 (and potentially lower when you can combine promo codes and rebates) at the moment at the low end, and they're effectively a 2070 stats-wise.

The 2070S nets you ~10% more performance for +$100-150.

EDIT: Seems 2060S are now $400 minimum. I guess "hmm, I should probably build a PC" boredom is a new thing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 19, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sounds like I'm hocking these 5700s for used 2060S or 2070S, then.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 19, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Palladium posted:

Actually even without the driver issues, 5700s are the only ones decent in the Navi lineup. 5600 is meh with the 6GB VRAM and its not all that much cheaper than the base 5700, while the 5500XT flat out sucks donkey balls in perf/$.

It’s kind of sad, I miss there actually being some competition and research to do instead of “buy whatever Nvidia card fits your budget”. I haven’t bought an AMD card in years and I don’t have a lot of hope for their next revision either.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This is the cheapest 2060S I've seen in the past few weeks: https://www.microcenter.com/product/616887/msi-geforce-rtx-2060-super-ventus-gp-overclocked-dual-fan-8gb-gddr6-pcie-30-video-card

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 19, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if there's any numbers comparing the 2060S vs the 2060 KO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does anyone know if there's any numbers comparing the 2060S vs the 2060 KO?

Yeah, one's a 6GB 2060 and the other's a 2070 that's called a 2060S. :v: